Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Trig Discipline posted:

The wife and I gave up on Agents of SHIELD after about ten episodes, but I'd heard that it got good after that. We flew from Sydney to Shanghai yesterday, and on the flight they had season 1 episodes 13-20. We watched those, and now I think it's fair to say that we're hooked.

I'm a pretty big fan of the show, and I quite nearly gave up on it around that point, too. Once you get to season 2, the writers drop enough call backs to those early episodes to give you some sense of satisfaction that you watched them.

That said, I'm plowing through season 1 of Arrow on CW. I'm only up through episode 19, but that show should just about be the template for comic book show pacing. They don't tread much water and advance through plot lines at a nice pace. I'm loving it so far. I also really like that they use actual comics characters pretty liberally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Doronin posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of the show, and I quite nearly gave up on it around that point, too. Once you get to season 2, the writers drop enough call backs to those early episodes to give you some sense of satisfaction that you watched them.

That said, I'm plowing through season 1 of Arrow on CW. I'm only up through episode 19, but that show should just about be the template for comic book show pacing. They don't tread much water and advance through plot lines at a nice pace. I'm loving it so far. I also really like that they use actual comics characters pretty liberally.

I was a late adopter of Arrow as well, having only finished season 2 recently. I can tell you that it gets much better with some serious :asoiaf: moments. That show and Continuum, which is on Netflix by the way, make me giggle with delight at the insane-yet-so-well-done plot points and action pieces. Seriously, if you haven't seen Continuum and enjoy good time travel sci-fi give it a shot. After a long period of silence it was recently announced that it would be renewed for a 4th season that will feature "the intended ending" to the series. And I tell you what after the jaw dropping Season 3 finale... well... I can't loving wait. Thread is here if interested.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
We started Transparent last night and ended up watching half of the series (5 eps) in one sitting. The fifth episode was a bit of a tough watch as it makes the rear end in a top hat kids even more rear end in a top hat-ish, but it's worth a watch. Jeffrey Tambor is just killing it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

EC posted:

We started Transparent last night and ended up watching half of the series (5 eps) in one sitting. The fifth episode was a bit of a tough watch as it makes the rear end in a top hat kids even more rear end in a top hat-ish, but it's worth a watch. Jeffrey Tambor is just killing it.

This is next on our list too, along with The Affair.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Just finished The West Wing for the first time. It was pretty good even though it was Sorkin as heck and went downhill pretty steadily after season 3. Still, I enjoyed it. Any other good political shows? I loved House of Cards for the first few episodes of season 1, hated it once it started getting too ridiculous. Still, I soldiered on through all of it. Was hoping season 2 would be better and it was even worse. Yuck. Mary Sue bull poo poo with ridiculous plots that introduce the solution as haphazardly as the problem.

Watched and enjoyed British House of Cards, HBO True Detectives, rewatched The Wire. Watching some Seinfeld. Really any good show I'll take a look at. Despite lukewarm reviews I'm thinking Marco Polo?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alpha House, exactly as much real politics in it as West Wing. It's pretty god drat funny.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Just finished The West Wing for the first time. It was pretty good even though it was Sorkin as heck and went downhill pretty steadily after season 3. Still, I enjoyed it. Any other good political shows? I

The Thick of It, Yes Minister, Veep, The Hollowmen.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Don't forget its successor Yes, Prime Minister. The show is proof that bureaucracy is universal.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Just finished The West Wing for the first time. It was pretty good even though it was Sorkin as heck and went downhill pretty steadily after season 3. Still, I enjoyed it. Any other good political shows? I loved House of Cards for the first few episodes of season 1, hated it once it started getting too ridiculous. Still, I soldiered on through all of it. Was hoping season 2 would be better and it was even worse. Yuck. Mary Sue bull poo poo with ridiculous plots that introduce the solution as haphazardly as the problem.

Have you seen State of Play? Best known, perhaps, as a Kevin Spacey movie, but it was originally a BBC miniseries produced by Paul Abbott, a political thriller starring John Simm and David Morrissey.

You might enjoy the BBC's 1985 environmental thriller Edge of Darkness.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Metal Loaf posted:

Have you seen State of Play? Best known, perhaps, as a Kevin Spacey movie, but it was originally a BBC miniseries produced by Paul Abbott, a political thriller starring John Simm and David Morrissey.

The American State of Play adaption doesn't have Kevin Spacey in it. However, it does have Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck, and is definitely a solid film. The miniseries is pretty good as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JohnSherman posted:

The American State of Play adaption doesn't have Kevin Spacey in it. However, it does have Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck, and is definitely a solid film. The miniseries is pretty good as well.

I had a strange sense that Spacey was a producer on it. Not sure where I got the impression.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Just got caught up on White Collar. Not bad, not great. As someone else said earlier when I mentioned starting it, it's a great show to have on in the background. The fact that amazon has finally added an auto-play next episode function (at least on my ps4 app) was like Christmas to me. Finally.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
I've been running out of shows on Netflix and saw that Z Nation was on it, decided to watch an episode or two. I hadn't watched it when it was airing because I'd been disappointed in Siffy's recent releases and didn't want to watch Asylum quality stuff.

Holy gently caress, what a fun show to watch. It was a perfect show to binge as I didn't have to over think it. There is just so much fun stuff, and the acting was much better than I'd expected from something Asylum produced, CGI quality was what I expected though. My favorite episode was "Welcome to the Fu-Bar" the gun show and shooting competition episode. This is when I started to finally like Murphy which helped me become more invested in the story going forward. I really hope the traders come back for season 2.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The ending of the first season of Line of Duty made me not want to see season 2. But when it was on a lot of 'best of 2014' lists I gave a try and basically watched the whole thing in one sitting. Keeley Hawes is amazing and it's baffling how she and Alex from Ashes to Ashes could be the same actress. Right up to the end you're not sure what her role is and if she's manipulating the audience as well as she's manipulating the cops invesigating her.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I've been watching Episodes on Showtime. The pilot wasn't good but the show got real funny once Matt LeBlanc came on. He plays himself as such an unapologetically sleazy degenerate on this and the show's much better for it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright-haven't watched six feet under lately, but caught an episode today

Season 4: episode 6: that's my dog

gently caress that episode. Just how bad david got hosed with was horrible. Good job acting, because I hated the guy that hosed with him all episode. Really though-gently caress that episode.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright: six feet under season 4 episode 9.

it's gotta be pretty loving far fetched that the dude noticed Lisa's ashes probably aren't hers...

This season has been loving slow it seems like.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
Currently binging through Transparent -- Amazon's made the entire 10-episode run free for anyone to stream today only. The episodes average 30 minutes each so getting through the series in one day is totally doable!

I'm only a few episodes in so far, but Jeffrey Tambor's performance and the adventures his daughter Ali get into are the two things that are keeping me watching. The rest of the family is only vaguely interesting to me at this point, but I think this is a slow burn and that by the end of the series I'm going to feel a lot more attached to them than I do now.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm a few episodes in, loved when the stepdad came home.

also: "Loom. Loooooom." "You're back on dairy!":dance:

EDIT: Wait, what the hell was the end of episode 7 about?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 25, 2015

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

EDIT: Wait, what the hell was the end of episode 7 about?

The way I interpreted it: From the first moment Ali met "Paul Bunyan" (previous episode), she seemed to be shoehorning him into one of her sexual fantasies -- all of her questions about his transition and such were so poorly masked by "oh my dad's going through this" that the guy even picks up on it and asks her about some of her preferences and they have their conversation about different levels of "femme." At the start of episode 7 she goes shopping for the appropriate level of femme clothing to match the guy's preferences, and what she ends up choosing -- as cute as it was -- seems more like a costume than an outfit. When the guy picks her up and they pull up to a log cabin with a rustic feel inside, to me it almost seemed too good to be true. I was surprised that his living space fit so perfectly into her first read of him ("Paul Bunyan"), and it was kinda unreal, but I didn't realize I felt that way until the end -- once their sexual encounter in the bathroom lost its rhythm and the rest of the episode played out, it's was like Ali's trance had been broken by the dildo episode not going completely perfectly. Everything that made the dude attractive to her just fell away, including her delusion that she was hooking up with a sort of modern lumberjack. It's like she couldn't see him or his home clearly for what they were with her fantasy in the way.

EDIT: Oh yeah, so I finished Transparent yesterday, and I ended up loving it. I still didn't care much for certain characters, but by the end their storylines were actually interesting to me and no longer seemed like rude interruptions to the rest of the show. Maura's (Jeffrey Tambor) struggles were portrayed so well and were sometimes so heartrending that I've fallen for Amazon's ploy and will probably have to subscribe to the next season once it's available. One of my favorite things about the show was how it seemed to capture the current zeitgeist of American culture (LA culture specifically) and trans struggles. I don't watch a lot of currently airing shows, so I don't know if TV is better about this now than before, but this show did it very well and I hope it is able to maintain its spirit in the next run.

oopsie rock fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 25, 2015

MrE
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah, that's right
Just binged through "The Fall". It just popped up on Netflix and I'm so glad it did! It's quite different from other shows, especially the pacing, but I loved it - hope they decide to make another season.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oopsie rock posted:

The way I interpreted it: From the first moment Ali met "Paul Bunyan" (previous episode), she seemed to be shoehorning him into one of her sexual fantasies -- all of her questions about his transition and such were so poorly masked by "oh my dad's going through this" that the guy even picks up on it and asks her about some of her preferences and they have their conversation about different levels of "femme." At the start of episode 7 she goes shopping for the appropriate level of femme clothing to match the guy's preferences, and what she ends up choosing -- as cute as it was -- seems more like a costume than an outfit. When the guy picks her up and they pull up to a log cabin with a rustic feel inside, to me it almost seemed too good to be true. I was surprised that his living space fit so perfectly into her first read of him ("Paul Bunyan"), and it was kinda unreal, but I didn't realize I felt that way until the end -- once their sexual encounter in the bathroom lost its rhythm and the rest of the episode played out, it's was like Ali's trance had been broken by the dildo episode not going completely perfectly. Everything that made the dude attractive to her just fell away, including her delusion that she was hooking up with a sort of modern lumberjack. It's like she couldn't see him or his home clearly for what they were with her fantasy in the way.

EDIT: Oh yeah, so I finished Transparent yesterday, and I ended up loving it. I still didn't care much for certain characters, but by the end their storylines were actually interesting to me and no longer seemed like rude interruptions to the rest of the show. Maura's (Jeffrey Tambor) struggles were portrayed so well and were sometimes so heartrending that I've fallen for Amazon's ploy and will probably have to subscribe to the next season once it's available. One of my favorite things about the show was how it seemed to capture the current zeitgeist of American culture (LA culture specifically) and trans struggles. I don't watch a lot of currently airing shows, so I don't know if TV is better about this now than before, but this show did it very well and I hope it is able to maintain its spirit in the next run.

That is what I thought was going on, but also wondering if that's how she sees the entire world, and maybe she has some major psychological issue the audience wasn't aware of, but would be very obvious on a rewatch. They seemed to just leave it at that one scene though.

Also regarding Lesbian sister and her girlfriend: Did they skip the subplot of the girlfriend relapsing? You're shown a scene of the Sister flushing her pot as the girlfriend saying she is an addict and cant be around any drug, end scene. Then later she is manically rearranging furniture, giving weird thumbs ups, and acting different than her normal chilled out character,

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Is there not a 6 feet under thread?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Also regarding Lesbian sister and her girlfriend: Did they skip the subplot of the girlfriend relapsing? You're shown a scene of the Sister flushing her pot as the girlfriend saying she is an addict and cant be around any drug, end scene. Then later she is manically rearranging furniture, giving weird thumbs ups, and acting different than her normal chilled out character,

I think the girlfriend had just dealt with those issues in her past and was over them, which was why she was also so upset by the three Pfefferman siblings getting stoned during Maura's talent show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Unzip and Attack posted:

No joke, you could take your discussion to the Sons of Anarchy thread, as literally 90% of what we talk about there consists of better shows, not necessarily in the Sutter-verse.

Dead serious.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Unzip and Attack posted:

I didn't see one-I've just been recapping what I've seen in spoilers so I don't piss anyone off. Currently almost done with season 4.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Thanks for the recommendations of Gomorrah, I just finished watching it during the last 24 hours or so, thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure I'd call it better than The Wire, but it certainly reminded me of it and I'll heartily pass on the recommendation. I love how the show just kept on going at full throttle, switching emphases to different characters in what to me felt like it was reflecting the shifting power balances in the clan. I wasn't planning on binging it but the pacing is so amazing that I didn't notice I was binging till suddenly it was 6 in the morning. Like The Wire it also introduces different topics (political, financial, prison) but instead of spending entire seasons on them they just speed through them naturally in a few episodes as part of the story.

Edit: Help. Now I'm watching Real Humans and it's also good. I'm never going to get any of my contract work done, ever :mad:

Fleve fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 26, 2015

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

MrE posted:

Just binged through "The Fall". It just popped up on Netflix and I'm so glad it did! It's quite different from other shows, especially the pacing, but I loved it - hope they decide to make another season.

It really is an amazing series and Gillian Anderson is superb throughout. The creator, Allan Cubitt, said he's very confident they will be making series 3.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gillian Anderson is pretty busy these days with Hannibal, The Fall, and the X-Files coming back.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Fleve posted:

Thanks for the recommendations of Gomorrah,

I was going to post this as well, only I've just finished episode 2 and I'm hooked on it. Away for a week on a work trip, I'll finish this in the next few days and hope there's a second season.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Been binging through Continuum the last couple of weeks and just finished season 2 today. The back half of season 2 was exactly what I wanted from this show. First time I tried watching the show I only got a few episodes in because I wasn't too hot on it, but I'm glad I gave it a second chance because it's really entertaining. Reminds me of Fringe quite a bit, which is one of my favorite shows.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just wait till season 3. The ending is :psyduck: and awesome.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

calandryll posted:

Just wait till season 3. The ending is :psyduck: and awesome.

Yeah. I held off watching on the last 3 or 4 episodes of Continuum when I heard that it might not come back for a season 4. A few weeks ago they announced that it would return with the "intended ending" so I went ahead and finished the season. Uh, yeah.... that finale... wow. What the gently caress.

I avoided the Continuum thread for fear of spoilers and all I knew about the finale was someone's comment that "it will drop your jaw and make you giggle like a schoolgirl". It certainly did. Watch that poo poo now if you haven't!

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
8 or 9 eps of the Blacklist. Spader is fun, but this show is ridiculous and pretty stupid at times. I know if I keep watching it's just going to get dumber.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

8 or 9 eps of the Blacklist. Spader is fun, but this show is ridiculous and pretty stupid at times. I know if I keep watching it's just going to get dumber.

I actually ended up liking it near the end of the season, because the woman starts going nuts. but there was a slog in the middle that I almost stopped watching because of. Maybe you're there. I think I did skip 2-3 episodes and not miss anything.

epsilon-6
Dec 25, 2002

savinhill posted:

I've been watching Episodes on Showtime. The pilot wasn't good but the show got real funny once Matt LeBlanc came on. He plays himself as such an unapologetically sleazy degenerate on this and the show's much better for it.

Episodes is a loving STELLAR show.
"Reason for entering the country?"
"Matt. LeBlanc."

Seriously, if you're a fan of actors playing themselves in hilarious ways, comedy about how tv shows are produced, or somewhat dry British criticisms of Hollywood, you're in for a real treat.

I agree with Savin, while the first episode is okay, the show really finds its pace in the second and third episodes, and from that point forward maintains being funny/interesting for every loving episode, for every season.

The more Matt LeBlanc sort of worms his way into the main couple's lives, the better it gets.

"Isn't it amazing to gently caress your wife?"
"What?"
"Oh no, sorry, I meant it's amazing to gently caress MY wife. I can see how you got that mixed up."

Also the whole thing about the other cast members of Friends hating Matt, and him only being able to get Gunther for a promo is golden.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Binging through Arrow and on episode 13, I was sure that I saw Nyssa on an earlier episode though I can't seem to recall when.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw Amazon's Man in the High Castle pilot. I don't really recall anything like this happening in the book, but then I read it like 10 year ago so maybe that's just me. The twist was the most obvious one ever, but overall I really liked it - it looks great and the premise is open for plenty of interesting adventures and commentary. The GLH videos clips were cute.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just finished watching The Good Guys on netflix. A good subversion of a buddy cop show, and all the villains are weird and find ways to break away from their cliches. I like to imagine this is where Colin Hank's character moves after getting sick and tired of Fargo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's what he does during the timeskip before becoming a mailman.