Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's the last playable build? I grabbed one of the completely up-to-date ones the other day and I can't actually use it to play anything and I don't want to go all the way back to 4.0.2.

edit: never mind, found the issue - for some reason my frame limit got set to 5 fps instead of auto

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wow, this is actually running rather well at the moment. I remember the days of 5-10 FPS and music bugging out, but besides a few hitches this seems to be working almost flawlessly.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

flatluigi posted:

What's the last playable build? I grabbed one of the completely up-to-date ones the other day and I can't actually use it to play anything and I don't want to go all the way back to 4.0.2.

edit: never mind, found the issue - for some reason my frame limit got set to 5 fps instead of auto

For future reference, the Dolphin Wiki is pretty great and lets you look up the more popular games to see if they have specific issues or if they stopped being compatible with some recent build.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

VDay posted:

For future reference, the Dolphin Wiki is pretty great and lets you look up the more popular games to see if they have specific issues or if they stopped being compatible with some recent build.

The game wikis also have links to the associated forums thread where they talk details about how to run the game and solve problems. They basically use the wiki like how SA uses OPs. It is very helpful.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like 2015's gonna be a good year for emulation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF8qBGYrYjA

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Kins posted:

Looks like 2015's gonna be a good year for emulation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF8qBGYrYjA

The 3DS video is sped up 10 times, so there's still a looong way to go.

PPSSPP went from most games being unplayable to shockingly good speed and compatibility in the blink of an eye, but every emulator is different. I guess it's cool that 3DS emulation is making some progress.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 9, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The 3DS video is sped up 10 times, so there's still a looong way to go.

PPSSPP went from most games being unplayable to shockingly good speed and compatibility in the blink of an eye, but every emulator is different. I guess it's cool that 3DS emulation is making some progress.
Yep, I'm aware of that, but it's very impressive progress regardless, considering the 3DS is still on the market.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The bit of code that allows over/underclocking the GCN CPU just got added to the builds: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/ (patch info)

Basically, what this means is you can jack up the processor speed to run certain games at a much higher framerate.

quote:

Underclocking can speed up your performance, while overclocking speeds up the emulated processor.

Example A; Last Story, most demanding game, runs at 25 fps 50 vps on my computer with choppy audio. If I underclock to 75%, I can get 20 fps, but at 60 vps. So audio sounds better and the game looks like it's running full speed, albeit choppier than it would be on console.

Example B: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask runs at 15 fps 60 vps on Dolphin, and when I hit tab it runs even faster, so my CPU isn't limited. By overclocking, I can make it run 20 fps, 60 vps. This makes it more akin to console.

Example C: SSX Tricky drops down to 30 fps when lots of racers are on screen even on console, there is no way to get purely 60 fps on console. By overclocking the processor, I can make it run 60 fps even when there is a ton of action on screen.

This is really interesting and I'd love to see a list of games this works well with.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That's basically the trick Chankast used to cheat out some extra performance for a lot of games. It seems like you barely ever see it in emulators, probably because by messing around with the emulated cycle rate, you're bound to create all sorts of problems.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah I was going to say, that sounds like it might cause speed glitches since as far as I know, a lot of console games controls are tied to the framerate.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I'm new to Dolphin, and I'm wondering, is there a way to make text and other 2D elements in certain games not look like this?

I know 2D stuff doesn't upscale well, but I've seen games where text/general 2D stuff doesn't look as ugly as that. Or is it just worse with certain games than others? And I'm currently playing at 2x native with no other enhancements.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Purple D. Link posted:

I'm new to Dolphin, and I'm wondering, is there a way to make text and other 2D elements in certain games not look like this?

I know 2D stuff doesn't upscale well, but I've seen games where text/general 2D stuff doesn't look as ugly as that. Or is it just worse with certain games than others? And I'm currently playing at 2x native with no other enhancements.

Not really. you can apply filtering to text, but all that usually does is make it blurry. There is no way for the emulator to really know when a texture is a hud element (text), or any other texture for 3D models. The sort of texture filtering that is good for one, is not necessarily good for the other.

The only other option is texture replacement, which is possible, and there are some fan made packages for games like Wind Waker, but chances are you're poo poo out of luck, unless you're willing to sit down and edit the text/hud elements yourself

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Kiggles posted:

Not really. you can apply filtering to text, but all that usually does is make it blurry. There is no way for the emulator to really know when a texture is a hud element (text), or any other texture for 3D models. The sort of texture filtering that is good for one, is not necessarily good for the other.

The only other option is texture replacement, which is possible, and there are some fan made packages for games like Wind Waker, but chances are you're poo poo out of luck, unless you're willing to sit down and edit the text/hud elements yourself
I see. Thanks for the reply. I can live with it a little more easily knowing that's just how it is and there's not some config I'm unaware of.

I actually did try texture filtering for Fire Emblem, which makes the text look better to me, but it adds these lines on the characters' faces.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Purple D. Link posted:

You can make HD textures for them yourself, or when available use someone else's HD texture pack which may or may not clash with the overall art style.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Ignoring the lovely textures in this video, but some nice work being done on Rogue Squadron -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n1zi6rtEZA

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Yeah it seems like overclocking doesn't really benefit most games, nearly every title that runs at 30FPS is locked there. Underclocking seems cool for lower spec systems though.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Apparently underclocking basically makes using a Shield Tablet an extremely viable platform for Dolphin now. Obviously some games will be a little choppier with a lower clock, but a lot of games are more playable now than ever before.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hace posted:

Yeah it seems like overclocking doesn't really benefit most games, nearly every title that runs at 30FPS is locked there. Underclocking seems cool for lower spec systems though.

Memory hacks can be done to overcome this, though. Difficulty depends on how the game is designed, however.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Speaking of hacks, is there any way to disable the culling of "offscreen" objects that happens in a bunch of games with the widescreen hack on? I really like being able to play games in widescreen but the culling is just obnoxious. I know it's an out there question but I swear I've heard of someone doing it in at least one game so it can't hurt to ask.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

flatluigi posted:

Speaking of hacks, is there any way to disable the culling of "offscreen" objects that happens in a bunch of games with the widescreen hack on? I really like being able to play games in widescreen but the culling is just obnoxious. I know it's an out there question but I swear I've heard of someone doing it in at least one game so it can't hurt to ask.

Like in Wind Waker, if you have the widescreen hack on, objects that move to where the "black" used to be disappear? There's nothing concrete about how to fix that but the dolphin wiki has an AR code you could try.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

flatluigi posted:

This is actually one of the things that overclocking could help. If you widen the projection matrix, you have to render more than usual. It's culling those polys for good reason.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ChaosArgate posted:

Like in Wind Waker, if you have the widescreen hack on, objects that move to where the "black" used to be disappear? There's nothing concrete about how to fix that but the dolphin wiki has an AR code you could try.

Yeah, sounds like WW's the one I heard of it working in. I was hoping for a code for Paper Mario TTYD and the Metroid Prime games, though.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
There is a code for Metroid Prime. No idea about the sequels or TTYD.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2p8nc7/metroid_prime_is_an_amazing_vr_experience/
https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=11241&start=620

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

flatluigi posted:

There AR codes for certain games that deal with this, if there isn't one on the wiki page you're SOL

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
zfreeze is now part of the master and makes rouge squadron playable!

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I'm having a problem with the emulated wiimote, I'm trying to play Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz and it keeps pulling the monkey to the left without me touching anything. I also tried Excite Truck and the truck was pulling to the side the whole time as well.

I'm using a Dual Shock 4 controller and here's my wiimote setup

Is there something there that I've set up stupidly to cause this?

edit - just to be clear, it seems to work and I can control the monkey, it's just pulling to the left the whole time.

Samuel L. ACKSYN fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 30, 2015

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

I'm having a problem with the emulated wiimote, I'm trying to play Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz and it keeps pulling the monkey to the left without me touching anything. I also tried Excite Truck and the truck was pulling to the side the whole time as well.

I'm using a Dual Shock 4 controller and here's my wiimote setup

Is there something there that I've set up stupidly to cause this?

edit - just to be clear, it seems to work and I can control the monkey, it's just pulling to the left the whole time.

Turn up the dead zone, incrementally, until it stops.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Clitch posted:

Turn up the dead zone, incrementally, until it stops.

I just tried that, set it all the way up to 50 (the highest it seems) and it still did it.

So I tried turning the controller off and tested with keyboard controls, I only set up the A button so I could get into the game, and it was still pulling to the left. I'm guessing it's something with the Dolphin config, I'll mess around with it a bit.

edit - Deleted the whole config folder, started over, and it still happens. I also tried Mario Kart Wii and that pulls to the right smh

Samuel L. ACKSYN fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 30, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The January progress report is up, and it's a hefty one. Z-freeze, underclocking, overclocking, texture pooling, and most importantly of all... Gamecube Keyboard emulation! :toot:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Holy poo poo.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

flatluigi posted:

Holy poo poo.

:eyepop: that's a heck of an improvement.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

flatluigi posted:

Holy poo poo.

That's specific to certain situations fyi, but yes it's very awesome. Metroid Prime is 100% playable now and it's loving awesome.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
Wow Rogue Leader is really running very well. Shame about the music though. It's still choppy/crackling like mad on both DSP HLE/LLE. Guess I'll wait till it gets fixed, because there's no SW without the amazing music :)

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
The overclocking feature that was added recently is cool as hell.

I wish some dolphin devs would get confused and lost and fix some of PCSX2's huge issues. :(

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Nokiaman posted:

Wow Rogue Leader is really running very well. Shame about the music though. It's still choppy/crackling like mad on both DSP HLE/LLE. Guess I'll wait till it gets fixed, because there's no SW without the amazing music :)

Try underclocking, your CPU might not be fast enough.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Hace posted:

Try underclocking, your CPU might not be fast enough.

I have a i7-3770s and GTX 580 and that sadly doesn't really help. It happens with full FPS as well so I guess DSP emulation still isn't good enough in this game.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Nokiaman posted:

I have a i7-3770s and GTX 580 and that sadly doesn't really help. It happens with full FPS as well so I guess DSP emulation still isn't good enough in this game.

Yeah I dunno, audio sounds fine for me on LLE.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I made some Steam Grid View Icons/Windows 8 Wide Tiles (460x215) for a handful of games:

F-Zero GX

Kirby Air RIde

Sonic Riders

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

And here's my custom-made GameCube overlay:

And the Wii overlay:

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013
So I've4 got a 770 and stuff and Im running the HD retexture with Xenoblade, but Im getting crazy amounts of slowdown. Is it my rig or just the nature of XB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
What CPU do you have, what version of dolphin are you using, and are you using D3D or OpenGL?

• Locked thread