Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Hey. Hey, guys. Kids these days.

quote:

The old woman leaned over the table a bit and lowered her voice. “You’ve come to rid us of the vermin?”

“Something like that.” He took a bite of the honey cake. He smiled down at the girl again. “It’s as good as you promised.”

She grinned. “Told you so. Grandmamma makes the best honey cakes on Stentor Street.”

Stentor Street. At least he had managed to find the correct street. Past the market on Stentor Street, Mistress Sanderholt had said. He winked at the girl while he chewed. “What vermin?” he asked the old woman.

“My son,” the old woman said as her eyes flicked down, indicating the girl, “and her mother, they’ve deserted us to stay near the palace, waiting for the gold promised. I told them to work, but they say I’m old and foolish in my ways, that they can be given more than they could earn, if they just wait there for what’s owed them.”

“How do they reason it’s ‘owed them’?”

She shrugged. “Because someone from the palace said so. Said they were entitled to it. Said all the people were. Some, like those two, believe it; it appeals to my son’s lazy ways. The young are lazy nowadays. So they sit and wait, to be given, to be taken care of, instead of seeing to their own needs. They fight over who should be given the gold first. Some of the weak and old have been killed in those fights.

“Meanwhile, fewer work, and so the prices keep going up. We can hardly afford enough bread, now.” Her face set into a bitter expression. “All because of a foolish lust for gold. My son had work, for Chalmer the baker, but now he waits to be handed gold, instead of working, and she grows more hungry.” She glanced out of the corner of her eye at the girl, and smiled kindly. “She works, though. Helps me make my cakes, she does, so we can feed ourselves. I won’t let her roam the streets, like many of the young do, now.”

She looked up again with a somber expression. “Them’s the vermin: them who take what little we can earn or make with our hands so as to promise it right back to us, expecting us to be thankful at their kind hearts; them who tempt good people to be lazy so they can rule us like they do sheep at a trough; them who took our freedom and our ways. Even a foolish old woman like me knows that lazy people don’t think for themselves; they only think about themselves. I don’t know what the world’s coming to.”

Anyway, Richard is a huge idiot who, even after learning Kahlan was alive, still hasn't slept after his Death March to Ayindril. So he's lost in the city, alone, and then nearly gets murdered by the Imperial Order. But wait! The IO is working with D'Haran exiles, recall, and THEY also want him for their own murderin' needs. So a fight breaks out and D'Hara gets home turf advantage. (Well... homier turf.) BUT WAIT

quote:

All the people around averted their eyes, wanting nothing to do with the trouble at hand. As the two huge D’Harans dragged Richard from the center of the street, people scattered out of the way as if they had eyes in the back of their heads. Over the noise of the city, his muffled, angry cries were lost. Try as he might, he couldn’t get a hand near a weapon. His boots skimmed across the snow, his feet working in vain for purchase.

Richard struggled, but before he had time to try to think what do next, they pulled him into a narrow, dark passageway between an inn and another shuttered building.

Deep in the passageway, in the murky shadows, four dark, cloaked figures waited.

[chapter ends right there... and the very next page it's ruined, because Goodkind is an idiot]

Gently, the two huge D’Harans set Richard down. As his feet found the ground, his hand found the hilt of his sword. The two men spread their feet in a relaxed manner and clasped their hands behind their backs. From the shadowed end of the passageway the four cloaked figures started toward him.

Deciding escape was preferable to a fight, Richard didn’t draw his sword, but instead dove to the side. He rolled through the snow and sprang to his feet. His back smacked up against the cold brick wall. Panting, he flung his mriswith cape around himself. In a heartbeat the cape changed color to match the wall, and he vanished.

The four marched forward, their dark capes billowing open as they came into the light. Dark brown leather the same color as the D’Harans’ uniforms covered their shapely forms from ground to neck. A yellow star between the cusps of a crescent emblazoned the leather outfits at each woman’s stomach.

The recognition of that yellow star and crescent was like a flash of lightning in Richard’s mind. Too many times to count, his face, wet with his own blood, had laid against that emblem. Out of reflex he froze, drawing neither sword, nor breath. For a panic filled instant he saw only the symbol he knew all too well.

Mord-Sith.

The woman in the lead pushed back her hood, letting her long blond hair, plaited in a single thick braid, fall free. Her blue eyes searched the wall where he stood.

“Lord Rahl? Lord Rahl, where ...”

Richard blinked. “Cara?”

So yeah, that thing where every loving D'Haran can sense the Lord Rahl comes into play and they decided to haul his rear end out of the fire. Cara is basically going to keep Richard from getting his dumb rear end killed so many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

So yeah, that thing where every loving D'Haran can sense the Lord Rahl comes into play and they decided to haul his rear end out of the fire. Cara is basically going to keep Richard from getting his dumb rear end killed so many times.

People keep saying she's the best character but this sounds like the actions of the worst.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

People keep saying she's the best character but this sounds like the actions of the worst.

I mean not letting richard die is a shame and all that but I'm sure I remember cara calling him out on being a giant idiot on more than one occasion so its not a total loss.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Cara basically has no patience for Richard's poo poo. She will be one of the only people to speak truth to power and go "Lord Rahl, you are being a tremendous jackass."

In fact, let's break this down: Zedd is going to never be open with him because "wizard poo poo", Kahlan is all over him and has no real desire to stand up to him, Nathan is a giant manchild so those conversations are fun but not really helpful, and the SotL are kinda "eh" on him at best. Cara, to compare, goes "I will keep your rear end alive whether you like it or not and whether I have to beat you half to death to do it, because like it or not, you're the man in charge of keeping us all alive."

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 13, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Stallion Cabana posted:

Look, there are some assumptions we're going to have to just allow about certain racespeople if we want to all come together and enjoy this traditional escapist fantasy?highbrow noveltract?.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cara basically has no patience for Richard's poo poo. She will be one of the only people to speak truth to power and go "Lord Rahl, you are being a tremendous jackass."

Also she is a person who has gone through a life of torture, suffering, evil etc and still has better moral values than dick roll.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
For all their horrendous backstory the Mord-Sith characters are probably some of the better ones in the series simply because they have zero tolerance for bullshit and never let Richard really shove them around too much.

Also it's B and the being in question is amazingly dumb.

Edit: The idea of Richard doing stuff for the Mord-Sith to try and "cleanse" their hosed up past does come up in a book, though, and it's pretty cheesy.

Baller Ina fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 13, 2015

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Don't worry, it's a very heavy feather.
For all the people wondering how this series can possibly go down hill from ground level, you see that Welfare Queen rant up there? It's maybe a page?

Are you ready for a whole book of that?

Because it's coming. Not this book, no, not yet, but soon.

Soon.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The shortest book in this series is like 800+ pages. Nothing is soon.

Yet all too quickly each new horror will be upon us, and we will feel trapped interminably in amber at its arrival, until at last we are released into the hungry maw of the next rape scene or polemic.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Plague of Hats posted:

The shortest book in this series is like 800+ pages. Nothing is soon.

Actually, uh, most of them from here on out are 600 pages or so. We're already about 10% through Blood of the Fold.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Actually, uh, most of them from here on out are 600 pages or so. We're already about 10% through Blood of the Fold.

Is that paper back brick format? I could've sworn they felt pretty drat hefty, though not WoT chunky.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I have most of these in hardcover. (And some transcription is being aided by a friend's ebooks.) Yeah, the paperbacks are probably worse, but those aren't factoring into my counts.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

This is important and we must do a study.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

Plague of Hats posted:

This is important and we must do a study.

Wizard's First Rule 820
Stone of Tears 979
Blood of the Fold 623
Temple of the Winds 822
Soul of the Fire 788
Faith of the Fallen 785
The Pillars of Creation 725
Naked Empire 736
Chainfire 748
Phantom 673
Confessor 757

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

And the inevitable comparison:

The Eye of the World 702
The Great Hunt 599
The Dragon Reborn 545
The Shadow Rising 891
The Fires of Heaven 684
Lord of Chaos 699
A Crown of Swords 635
The Path of Daggers 591
Winter's Heart 533
Crossroads of Twilight 681
Knife of Dreams 761
The Gathering Storm 766
Towers of Midnight 843
A Memory of Light 912

Goodkind; always more, always worse.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Goodkind just never got the memo that having that many pages means you actually have to have some plot progression on those pages.

Curiously, this made me realize that Brandon Sanderson's doorstopper series is even longer. My softcovers of Way of Kings and Words of Radiance are 1,000 and about 1,080 pages respectively.

e: And Wise Man's Fear is 995 pages. Geez.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 13, 2015

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Goodkind just never got the memo that having that many pages means you actually have to have some plot progression on those pages.

Curiously, this made me realize that Brandon Sanderson's doorstopper series is even longer. My softcovers of Way of Kings and Words of Radiance are 1,000 and about 1,080 pages respectively.

e: And Wise Man's Fear is 995 pages. Geez.

The difference being that stuff actually happens on pretty much every page of a Sanderson doorstopper that isn't one of the gorgeous sketch illustration pages.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

This is the real stupidly named monster, isn't it?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Bieeardo posted:

This is the real stupidly named monster, isn't it?

The unfolding of this story is definitely one of the monsters, yes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So this means that we're on the single best book of the series, from what I can tell?

It's the shortest and it has Cara, who apparently is a good character?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mors Rattus posted:

So this means that we're on the single best book of the series, from what I can tell?

It's the shortest and it has Cara, who apparently is a good character?

In some ways, yes. On the other hand, basically nothing notable plotwise happens (no lie, I'm pretty sure the most important event in this book is richard having to throw away that invisibility cloak because it's EEEEVIL) and this is where the series really starts going hard into the objectivist poo poo.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

You know I could have sworn I read some other fantasy series with a cloak that was optical camo+EVIIIIIL. Terry Brooks Shannara series maybe? Or that other, more generic fantasy writer that I can't recall the name of right now.

Terry
Terry
Terry

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

You know I could have sworn I read some other fantasy series with a cloak that was optical camo+EVIIIIIL. Terry Brooks Shannara series maybe? Or that other, more generic fantasy writer that I can't recall the name of right now.

Terry
Terry
Terry

Which all naturally ties back to the One Ring, the Ur-example of " useful invisibility granting artifact = evil".

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
In that light it's kind of funny that the cloak in Harry Potter was the "good" deathly hallow. "Yeah this was draped over Death's shoulders for a few billion years but it's totally legit."

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Chaltab posted:

In that light it's kind of funny that the cloak in Harry Potter was the "good" deathly hallow. "Yeah this was draped over Death's shoulders for a few billion years but it's totally legit."

That's actually a really interesting point. Invisibility overwhelmingly seems to be treated as a negative ability in pop culture except in HP.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That might - but I certainly wouldn't be super confident about this - date back to H. G. Wells and The Invisible Man, because Griffin (the Invisible Man) is an rear end in a top hat.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

That might - but I certainly wouldn't be super confident about this - date back to H. G. Wells and The Invisible Man, because Griffin (the Invisible Man) is an rear end in a top hat.

The oldest example of invisible = dick that I know of is the Ring of Gyges (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Gyges).

I think authors tend to keep invisibility as a badguy power since it has all sorts of negative implications/associations with sneakiness and backstabbing rather than the traditional honest and heroic way of doing things (even if invisibility would totally own and solve a lot of fantasy hero problems when used properly).

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Bob Quixote posted:

(even if invisibility would totally own and solve a lot of fantasy hero problems when used properly).

Many authors (and Goodkind is a prime example of this) tend to introduce powers like that with the express purpose of solving a single problem (or sometimes another problem later on as a Chekhov's gun type situation), and then promptly forget about it. The Harry Potter series always had a chronic problem with forgetting all the amazing stuff it introduced in past books even if they could help with a given situation in the next. That, and giving ludicrously powerful artifacts to 13-year-olds (goddamn timeturners) and yet no one seems at all concerned with the potentially catastrophic consequences if someone with an ounce of creativity got hold of them.

That's kind of the problem with giving powerful things to the heroes: you can end up locking yourself out of being able to write tense situations in the future, because you'll always be thinking "Oh, wait, poo poo, the hero could just turn invisible and negate this entire plotline". Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason Goodkind is making Richard get rid of his cloak: it would interfere with some future plot point if he could still use it. Then again, that would be giving Goodkind credit as being able to plan his plot ahead of time, and I don't know if I want to go that far.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bob Quixote posted:

The oldest example of invisible = dick that I know of is the Ring of Gyges (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Gyges).

I think authors tend to keep invisibility as a badguy power since it has all sorts of negative implications/associations with sneakiness and backstabbing rather than the traditional honest and heroic way of doing things (even if invisibility would totally own and solve a lot of fantasy hero problems when used properly).

Basically, both things are at the heart of storytelling. The traditional Hero's Journey requires the hero to confront his obstacles. Sneaking is a cowardly way. Couple that with invincibility being a power that is overcome by cleverness, a trait normally reserved for aforementioned heroes...

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Many authors (and Goodkind is a prime example of this) tend to introduce powers like that with the express purpose of solving a single problem (or sometimes another problem later on as a Chekhov's gun type situation), and then promptly forget about it. The Harry Potter series always had a chronic problem with forgetting all the amazing stuff it introduced in past books even if they could help with a given situation in the next. That, and giving ludicrously powerful artifacts to 13-year-olds (goddamn timeturners) and yet no one seems at all concerned with the potentially catastrophic consequences if someone with an ounce of creativity got hold of them.

That's kind of the problem with giving powerful things to the heroes: you can end up locking yourself out of being able to write tense situations in the future, because you'll always be thinking "Oh, wait, poo poo, the hero could just turn invisible and negate this entire plotline". Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason Goodkind is making Richard get rid of his cloak: it would interfere with some future plot point if he could still use it. Then again, that would be giving Goodkind credit as being able to plan his plot ahead of time, and I don't know if I want to go that far.

I always like to refer to authors like that as set builders rather than world builders. Like the time turners lead to one of the best set pieces of the HP series but outside of it they're super problematic.

Goodkind is far more inept at this and is introducing new talents or hidden abilities constantly when he needs to set up his next asinine scene.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And, of course, in WoT, things like "I can now open a gateway between two places" actually *leads* to "okay now I can literally ignore all fortress walls" and "I can shoot cannons into literally any point in the world".

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

There is a particularly egregious example of this late in the series.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

And, of course, in WoT, things like "I can now open a gateway between two places" actually *leads* to "okay now I can literally ignore all fortress walls" and "I can shoot cannons into literally any point in the world".

I read about 7 or 8 of those books back in highschool before giving up. I'd really enjoyed them and thought that the world and writing weren't bad, but it just got so bloated with more and more characters being introduced until the plot progression ground to a halt.

I've heard they got better later after book 10 or so, but I'm not sure I'd want to put in the effort required to re-read them all to see for myself.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The Harry Potter series always had a chronic problem with forgetting all the amazing stuff it introduced in past books even if they could help with a given situation in the next. That, and giving ludicrously powerful artifacts to 13-year-olds (goddamn timeturners) and yet no one seems at all concerned with the potentially catastrophic consequences if someone with an ounce of creativity got hold of them.

Actually, the Potter books are quite the opposite, with many seemingly minor things later turning out to be very significant (the cursed necklace is a great example; it first appears in book 1 or 2). And people were incredibly concerned about the abuse of time turners at least until they were all pointedly destroyed during the battle in the MoM.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

There's a lot about Potter that doesn't make sense or falls apart under closer scrutiny but at the end of the day Rowling creates compelling characters you care about so you let the flaws slide.

Goodkind's likeable characters are basically accidents who get forgotten about as soon as you get enough lines to like them. Like Chase was loving awesome. At least he's probably happy somewhere being a cool dad and having a loving wife without risking his life for Richard's dumbness.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Paragon8 posted:

Like Chase was loving awesome. At least he's probably happy somewhere being a cool dad and having a loving wife without risking his life for Richard's dumbness.

Chase and Rachel are coming back.

I forget when they appear next, but I know they're in the endgame.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!
The point of both the Invisible Man and the myth of the Ring of Gyges is that if you are invisible, you can do whatever you want without social consequences because you are completely anonymous and undetectable. This swiftly corrupts the protagonists, because they can easily get away with anything from theft to murder and are nearly omnipotent compared to an ordinary person.

In other settings, it's more a symbolic association between concealing your deeds from the community and evil.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Chase and Rachel are coming back.

I forget when they appear next, but I know they're in the endgame.

Please don't die like a chump, Chase :smith:

Hodgepodge posted:

The point of both the Invisible Man and the myth of the Ring of Gyges is that if you are invisible, you can do whatever you want without social consequences because you are completely anonymous and undetectable. This swiftly corrupts the protagonists, because they can easily get away with anything from theft to murder and are nearly omnipotent compared to an ordinary person.

In other settings, it's more a symbolic association between concealing your deeds from the community and evil.

It's probably getting off topic for this thread but I find it super interesting how the invisibility cloak is treated as uniformly positively in HP when like as you point out that it's typically a corrupting influence in fiction. The only other fiction I can think of where invisibility is positive is the Invisible Woman from the Fantastic Four. I suppose Rowling didn't pause to think about what a teenager would really use invisibility for especially in conjunction with a map that could track anyone on school grounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Paragon8 posted:

The only other fiction I can think of where invisibility is positive is the Invisible Woman from the Fantastic Four.

Please do not ever google "Malice".