Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

gmq posted:

I'm using Mailbox for email, how's Nine compared to that?

Nine supports Exchange?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

gmq posted:

I'm using Mailbox for email, how's Nine compared to that?

At a glance, Mailbox doesn't look like it supports Exchange. That's really the only functionality I care about.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yep Nine is for EAS like your workplace probably uses and its big selling point is that it can apply security policy at the app level rather than for the entire phone. In practical terms this means that whoever runs your Exchange server can wipe the email/contacts data at any time, but they cannot wipe your entire phone like with the standard Android Email/Gmail app (which applies Exchange policy at the device level)

If you don't care about getting your work email then you probably don't need it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

dissss posted:

If you don't care about getting your work email then you probably don't need it.

Awesome, thanks!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm having a bit of a problem. My app drawer doesn't show when I hit the button. I think it might have been the latest Google launcher update messing with XGELS or GravityBox or something. I tried using a shortcut for it instead, but the result in the same. What can I do?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe reinstall the launcher/clear its data in Apps, or disable whatever's interfering with it. That XGEL thing sounds suspicious!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

I'm having a bit of a problem. My app drawer doesn't show when I hit the button. I think it might have been the latest Google launcher update messing with XGELS or GravityBox or something. I tried using a shortcut for it instead, but the result in the same. What can I do?
This is a Root Thread question, at best.

The answer is disable XGELS and see if it fixes it. If it does, wait for an XGELS update.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I just moved from an iPhone and I need a replacement for Scanner Pro. Any recommendations since most of those apps are paid? Cam scanner seems nice, but not $5/month nice.

I really want auto crop and automatic dropbox upload.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

nerox posted:

I just moved from an iPhone and I need a replacement for Scanner Pro. Any recommendations since most of those apps are paid? Cam scanner seems nice, but not $5/month nice.

I did almost all the paperwork emergencies for my mortgage and home buying process using Genius Scan. Cant recommend it enough.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

nerox posted:

Google Drive will do this for you, but your files will go to your Drive instead of Dropbox.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Google Search/Now just updated and made the pull-to-refresh a billion times more responsive. I have no idea why it took so long, but it's a billion times more useable.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Dark One posted:

Google Search/Now just updated and made the pull-to-refresh a billion times more responsive. I have no idea why it took so long, but it's a billion times more useable.

What do you mean by "responsive"? Granted, I hardly ever use pull-to-refresh in Now, but on the occasion that I do, I never noticed any problem with it. I just checked again, since I got the update too, and didn't notice any different feel.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

What do you mean by "responsive"? Granted, I hardly ever use pull-to-refresh in Now, but on the occasion that I do, I never noticed any problem with it. I just checked again, since I got the update too, and didn't notice any different feel.
You don't have to pull nearly as far to trigger a refresh.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I'm going on my honeymoon to a couple of islands in Hawaii and I want an app that I can use offline maps for, in case I don't have any signal where I am. I see google maps allows you to save offline maps, but from what I can understand, you can't save, like an entire island all the way down to street level details?

Also, preferably something that allows for GPS & turn by turn navigation.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Vidaeus posted:

I'm going on my honeymoon to a couple of islands in Hawaii and I want an app that I can use offline maps for, in case I don't have any signal where I am. I see google maps allows you to save offline maps, but from what I can understand, you can't save, like an entire island all the way down to street level details?

I use here beta for this

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Vidaeus posted:

Just have a good time and make an event out of it. Also they sell maps and people can help you if you ask them

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vidaeus posted:

For what it's worth, the Hawaiian islands tourists are generally allowed on have great cell coverage, even LTE coverage. The dead spots tend to be very small, and often in areas you're not really supposed to be (like right in with the flowing lava on the big island).

You can save several entire islands down to street details through regular Google Maps, they're pretty small and will each fit within one or two save areas. The thing is you can't use them to do directions or navigation through the app, although you'll have your location and area displayed just fine. Nokia/Microsoft Here is great for doing offline maps and having basic navigation enabled, and Backcountry Navigator is also great especially for hiking as it has access to more than just road maps, though I think it costs money to buy the app.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I use here beta for this

Everyone lately is saying Here. In case that doesn't work out, I've great success in using Osmand for this purpose.

BTW: Your understanding is correct: Google maps can save/cache maps but you have to load the map and explicitly save it. Osmand (and I guess Here) allow you to save areas (e.g. "France", "New York") which consumes a bunch of space on your device but is a lot easier.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I have 5GB of data I want to transfer from my tablet to my phone. Is there an app to do this, or should I AirDroid it up to my PC, then down to my phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

I have 5GB of data I want to transfer from my tablet to my phone. Is there an app to do this, or should I AirDroid it up to my PC, then down to my phone?
You'd probably do best to connect both to a computer simultaneously and copy it over a wired connection.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just got a Samsung S5. I had an app on my old phone that relied on the three dot button on the bottom of the phone, which the S5 doesn't have. Is there a way I can access that feature on the S5?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It should be on the screen somewhere, usually on the app toolbar

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nope. I've tried tapping all over, and no dice. It's an app that's not supported any more, so it's possible it was designed for older phones and now it simply doesn't work.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah that kinda sounds like they mapped the hardware key itself to an action (I'm guessing it probably doesn't pop up a menu either), so I'm not sure there's much you can do about that. You could ask in the rooted thread, there's probably stuff you can install to remap buttons and whatever, but I don't know if there's anything you can do with stock.

Just in case, you're not in immersive mode with all the navigation buttons hidden, right? Swipe from the edges of the screen, sometimes the menu button appears on the nav bar jammed in on the right, if it's an old app

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

hooah posted:

Be aware that at least in my case (Nexus 4), the Downtime mode isn't 100% reliable. Mine's set to mute non-priority notifications, but every so often (perhaps a day or two every two weeks) I'll hear a notification after the 9:30 PM Downtime start. No idea why.

Probably has the same root cause as the wonky alarms some are complaining about. The fix is in 5.0.2+: https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/0ac9664

sector_corrector posted:

I just got a Samsung S5. I had an app on my old phone that relied on the three dot button on the bottom of the phone, which the S5 doesn't have. Is there a way I can access that feature on the S5?

Its mapped to a long press of the Recents/Overview button (the one to the left of home).

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

LastInLine posted:

You'd probably do best to connect both to a computer simultaneously and copy it over a wired connection.

Yeah, I needed some juice and figured since it was plugged in anyway to just do it over USB.

Oh well, so much for ~~~~ WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY ~~~~

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

BoyBlunder posted:

Oh well, so much for ~~~~ WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY ~~~~

This can do wifi adhoc file transfers.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It isn't so much getting the connection to work, there are a lot of ways to do that, it's a matter of how long it's going to take.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

It isn't so much getting the connection to work, there are a lot of ways to do that, it's a matter of how long it's going to take.

Ya, I didn't say it was better, just saying its possible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kheldarn posted:

I use Perfect Viewer for reading comics. I tend to download them on my PC, then transfer them to my Nexus 7, but I just checked the settings, and it supports adding a LAN folder to your bookshelf.

Going back to this...I see that you can add a LAN folder, but I don't see any configuration options to map it. Anyone actually done it?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Anybody have any insight into the status of TimePIN beyond what's in the xda thread? Seems like it's been dead in the water since the developer's last posts about getting it to work in ART around July in that thread. Is it just abandoned at this point?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

As per the thread title, I got pocket casts for podcasts. I've been generally happy with it so far and I've subscribed and listened to a bunch of podcasts. However, it doesn't play very well with my car's (nissan leaf) Bluetooth interface - the next track button on the car does not give me the next podcast in a series; it does nothing instead. I don't like to fiddle with my phone while driving. Is there any way to preserve my podcast subscriptions and my progress in their back catalogs in a different player that will play nice with Bluetooth?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pun pundit posted:

As per the thread title, I got pocket casts for podcasts. I've been generally happy with it so far and I've subscribed and listened to a bunch of podcasts. However, it doesn't play very well with my car's (nissan leaf) Bluetooth interface - the next track button on the car does not give me the next podcast in a series; it does nothing instead. I don't like to fiddle with my phone while driving. Is there any way to preserve my podcast subscriptions and my progress in their back catalogs in a different player that will play nice with Bluetooth?
I don't know that there's a way to do the subscriptions and progress thing, but in Pocket Casts, have you tried adding the stuff to a playlist and then seeing if the skip buttons work as intended?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I didn't even realize there was a playlist feature before you pointed it out. I've set one up now, will see how it goes on my way to work today.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is there an app that will turn my phone into a Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

pun pundit posted:

Have you poked around the settings inside pocketcasts? I seem to recall their being a checkbox related to bluetooth controls. If you get that working, you can change the behavior of the skip button in the settings also. By default I think it's set to skip ahead 30 seconds in a podcast.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I could find no such setting, but as demonstrated upthread I seem to have a blind spot for some options (although I can't say that an icon that only appears when you long press to go into select mode is the clearest way to tell the user that there is a playlist option).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sweet, Google Translate finally integrated the Word Lens stuff they bought up a while back (live augmented reality translation of text). Seems to work about the same right now, pretty drat janky, but nice to see they're still working on it

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Isn't Google Voice/Hangouts supposed to handle group MMS now? There are six of us, two on AT&T, two on Verizon, one on Sprint, and me on GV. Whenever any of the other five people send a group MMS all responses on my end are broken up into their respective contacts as though they're texting me individually. As a result of this I can't respond to the group.

I thought Google nailed everything down, am I doing something wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
You integrated GV with Hangouts and are using Hangouts, not Google Voice app/web, right?

• Locked thread