Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Eh, I can't live without muilti-window now.

What apps do you commonly put side by side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

RZA Encryption posted:

What apps do you commonly put side by side?

Awful and Youtube, Chrome and Twitter etc. Pretty drat useful.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing is more crippling than Touchwiz.
Unsubstantiated rumor: introduction of the Galaxy S6 to include "a vastly simplified TouchWiz".

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So resetting my 2013 Moto X appears to have done the trick. Standby battery reduction went from 5% per hour to closer to 2%. I'm hoping it'll improve more after all the various Google services stop updating/downloading stuff.

What sucks is that battery life was terrible out of the box. I've heard that updating to 4.4 (which I did immediately) might cause an issue. So I never had a good battery experience to contrast the horrible results I've been getting for 3 months.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Variable_H posted:

E: also lol at the idea of a phone being a "crippled piece of poo poo" because it doesn't have a replaceable battery or an SD card slot.

That is exactly what I am saying. Why would you buy a phone with worse/no features for the same amount of money? The only compelling thing there ever was about Nexus phones was the mid-high level hardware for a cheap price, but $700 for a Nexus 6 is pointless when you can get a much better phone for that much.

dissss posted:

So then once you get back to civilisation (or at least your car) you have to swap the dead battery back in and wait for it to charge, then swap the other battery in and wait for that to charge too. Whereas with an external you can just plug that in and merrily keep using your phone.

Same can be said for using an external battery, only now you have a gigantic thing dangling from your phone? I just don't understand what your point is.

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing is more crippling than Touchwiz.

Touchwiz isn't even that bad anymore. Just have to uninstall/disable the Samsung apps.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Daily Forecast posted:

That is exactly what I am saying. Why would you buy a phone with worse/no features for the same amount of money? The only compelling thing there ever was about Nexus phones was the mid-high level hardware for a cheap price, but $700 for a Nexus 6 is pointless when you can get a much better phone for that much.
It would appear that certain features might not have the same value for everyone! Important features to me include prompt updates and not looking like garbage, neither of which are included on Samsung devices. I also like a more compact device, which SD cards and removable batteries actively work against.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Daily Forecast posted:

Touchwiz isn't even that bad anymore. Just have to uninstall/disable the Samsung apps.

I would argue that it's going to get worse. With samsung moving further into Tizen, they're further straying from android and default google integrations for their own homebrew solutions (aka crap). Sure they may be streamlining a few things, and minimalizing some of the footprint, but the integration with samsung appstore and wearables, etc etc etc is just going to make things more convoluted and generally a bigger pain in the rear end.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Same can be said for using an external battery, only now you have a gigantic thing dangling from your phone? I just don't understand what your point is.

I used my friends Note 4 for a bit before I decided on the Nexus 6, and hated Touchwiz, it's ugly as sin and looks bloated and crowded. I also have another phone for work with an SD slot and removable battery, and have never even had a desire to use either. It's almost like people want different things and you're being really stupid.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

I'd say the people who buy Nexus devices also value the software.

I'd rather use have a flip phone than a TouchWiz device.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone wants a oneplus one invite? Already got a moto x.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have any idea why I have an app called '-10426' using almost 100mb of data according to my data usage screen?

Unrooted Moto X 2013.

I think it was there under a different number not long ago, too.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

Also, as far as batteries go, "shut down phone, swap battery, power back up, full charge in less than 30 seconds" will never be less convenient than "plug phone into external battery, wait three hours".

This argument is void as phones are coming out now with turbo charge capability, so you get 8hrs of battery within 15-30 mins.

Daily Forecast posted:

This shouldn't need to happen. I setup a Note 4 for a few hours last week for a friend, and had to disable at least 12 Samsung bullshit things. Also, the Settings screen is loving atrocious. Touchwiz is horrible. Also, what the gently caress is with Samsung swapping the Back and Recent buttons, and then making them capacitive? :wtc:

Are you a grandpa? That would explain the Luddite-ism and love of Touchwiz.

BoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 13, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Surprise T Rex posted:

Anyone have any idea why I have an app called '-10426' using almost 100mb of data according to my data usage screen?

Unrooted Moto X 2013.

I think it was there under a different number not long ago, too.

I've heard of this before, never experienced it myself, but could it be historical data usage for an app you've uninstalled recently?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I just got an update to the google now launcher via the play store on my Nexus 5 running 5.0.1. Do you think they will be able to fix the memory leak with a google play update? I hear they can push almost any type of system change via google play. Confirm/deny

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've heard of this before, never experienced it myself, but could it be historical data usage for an app you've uninstalled recently?
That's exactly what it is.

r0ck0 posted:

I just got an update to the google now launcher via the play store on my Nexus 5 running 5.0.1. Do you think they will be able to fix the memory leak with a google play update? I hear they can push almost any type of system change via google play. Confirm/deny
Deny.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

r0ck0 posted:

No.

Edit: unless the memory issues are tied to Play Services which I doubt.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

r0ck0 posted:

Doubt it, it'll be a Lollipop update, 5.0.2 or .3, I forget where we are right now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

r0ck0 posted:

In addition to the other answers, Google Now Launcher is not the same thing as Google Play Services anyway.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Tunga posted:

In addition to the other answers, Google Now Launcher is not the same thing as Google Play Services anyway.

Who said it was? I said they are able to update core components via google play, eg the google now launcher. Perhaps they could also patch the memory leak by updating the offending app or service.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Who said it was? I said they are able to update core components via google play, eg the google now launcher. Perhaps they could also patch the memory leak by updating the offending app or service.

Holy crap, I bet they hadn't thought of that! You'd better write an email to the team so they can get right on it. Them not knowing about this possibility is surely the only reason it hasn't been fixed yet!

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

RZA Encryption posted:

Holy crap, I bet they hadn't thought of that! You'd better write an email to the team so they can get right on it. Them not knowing about this possibility is surely the only reason it hasn't been fixed yet!

Sipping on that sperg juice again?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Krispy Kareem posted:

What sucks is that battery life was terrible out of the box. I've heard that updating to 4.4 (which I did immediately) might cause an issue. So I never had a good battery experience to contrast the horrible results I've been getting for 3 months.

Did you put that BORN MOBILE app throttling whatsit on from the beginning? The way you get good battery life is by having the phone in deep sleep when you're not using it, doing all necessary network activity in one go etc, and the OS has a bunch of functionality to schedule this and avoid the phone burning more juice than is necessary. That's the idea anyway

Installing an app that runs on top of the OS and pokes around at poo poo is probably not going to help. You might be basically adding chipset OEM bloatware here, by choice!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

r0ck0 posted:

Google Now Launcher is not a "core component", it's an app like any other. Totally different thing to patching the kernel/framework/drivers/whatever to fix an OS memory leak.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

Did you put that BORN MOBILE app throttling whatsit on from the beginning? The way you get good battery life is by having the phone in deep sleep when you're not using it, doing all necessary network activity in one go etc, and the OS has a bunch of functionality to schedule this and avoid the phone burning more juice than is necessary. That's the idea anyway

Installing an app that runs on top of the OS and pokes around at poo poo is probably not going to help. You might be basically adding chipset OEM bloatware here, by choice!

No, I installed the Snapdragon app in response to the poor battery life. My Moto X never lasted a full 24 hours between charges.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anybody have a fix for an unreliable Nexus 5 power button that sticks? I would throw it into the nearest ravine, but it keeps on shutting down before I can load up Maps.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Phone posted:

Anybody have a fix for an unreliable Nexus 5 power button that sticks? I would throw it into the nearest ravine, but it keeps on shutting down before I can load up Maps.

Smack it with your palm. I had the same issue happen but hitting it swiftly on it's side worked really well. It's a pretty common problem.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
You can get a replacement power button off ebay for a few bucks and replace it yourself, if you're comfortable. I replaced the volume rocker on my old gnex and it was pretty easy.

edit: Nevermind, looks like the n5's power button is soldered on. Still replaceable but not nearly as easy.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

BoyBlunder posted:

Also, what the gently caress is with Samsung swapping the Back and Recent buttons, and then making them capacitive? :wtc:
I think it makes more sense this way regarding right-handed operation since the back button is used much more than the multitask button and is closer to my thumb this way. :ymmv:

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Lollipop is attempting to kill my Nexus 4 and I loving hate it. My N4 ran great on KitKat but once I got Lollipop OTA, it's been downhill. Reached a new low this weekend when after a factory reset, it's still struggling to open webpages and run apps. I may have gotten rid of some crashes and bugs, at least. Battery life may still be lovely. I'm terribad with bootloaders and CFW and all that otherwise I'd downgrade this to KitKat or even Jelly Bean. :sigh: I've had this phone since its release so I guess it's just about time to tag it out.

nerdz posted:

Anyone wants a oneplus one invite? Already got a moto x.

I'll take this if it's still available, please.

AF fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 20, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I think it makes more sense this way regarding right-handed operation since the back button is used much more than the multitask button and is closer to my thumb this way. :ymmv:

If you're holding it in your right hand, you have to contort your thumb a lot more to reach the right most button than the left most button. It naturally falls on the left most button without much effort. Samsung fails again.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

AF posted:

Lollipop is attempting to kill my Nexus 4

Don't take it personally, Lollipop tries to break almost all phones equally

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

If you're holding it in your right hand, you have to contort your thumb a lot more to reach the right most button than the left most button. It naturally falls on the left most button without much effort. Samsung fails again.

I'm left handed so the back button being on the right side is more comfortable for me.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Guillermus posted:

I'm left handed so the back button being on the right side is more comfortable for me.

Have you ever considered that perhaps you are wrong handed?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I'm right-handed buthold my phone in my left hand so I can do important things with my dominant hand. Since my phone is close to a reasonable size I can hit all three buttons across the bottom without it being a problem. Thanks for reading.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SB35 posted:

Have you ever considered that perhaps you are wrong handed?

I can use my phone left handed and I use my mouse right handed. Now bow before the superiority of ambidextrous :smugdroid:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Guillermus posted:

The post I quoted specifically said "right handed operation" :negative: I am right handed but probably hold it in both hands equal amounts of time!

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm holding my Galaxy S5 (in a Trident case) in my right hand, and notice that I literally can't reach the multi window (left side) and how very easy it is to press the right button. After testing that, I smile to myself, knowing that, no, I'm not crazy, and this thread's hate for Samsung is crazy and uncalled for. Carry on your frothing rage, though.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Deep Winter posted:

I'm holding my Galaxy S5 (in a Trident case) in my right hand, and notice that I literally can't reach the multi window (left side) and how very easy it is to press the right button. After testing that, I smile to myself, knowing that, no, I'm not crazy, and this thread's hate for Samsung is crazy and uncalled for. Carry on your frothing rage, though.

The phone is too big you see, that's why you can't reach.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Deep Winter posted:

Lol if you think that size is the only thing Samsung has going against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Lol if you think that size is the only thing Samsung has going against it.
You're crazy and your frothing rage was uncalled for. I mean it's not like the entire UI looks to have been designed by a colorblind mentally disabled child or anything. Now excuse me while I go back to my blue and yellow messaging app.