Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

oRenj9 posted:

They really are, it's like a mix of Grabber Blue and Deep Impact Blue.

Everyday Lurker posted:

Goddamn I love the color on these. Puts the T in beautiful.

ilkhan posted:

If this color is available on 2016 Mustang GTs, for damned sure I'll take it over DIB or Grabber.

Computer says no:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/news/g6019/ford-liquid-blue-at-naias-live-gallery/

Car-show only colour, no plans to make it a production colour.

Cat Terrist posted:

It would happen, Fo3's example is a good one. Died blue Ford nutters gritted their teeth when the Falcon lost the V8 and went Holden, then never went back. The nutters were more wedded to big engines than the nameplate. I suspect that'll be the case for the US nutters too - take away the V8, a whoooooole bunch will be NO loving WAY and leave the brand.

Well then gently caress 'em. Besides, with the ever tightening CAFE regulations and the increasing globalization of all platforms, I doubt GM or FCA are going to keep making a bunch of big thirsty V8s for that much longer either, so I guess they just won't buy cars period, in which case, they've already helpfully removed themselves from Ford's market to begin with.

InitialDave posted:

I've said before - make "V8" a trim designation and slap the badge on there, and half of them won't ever know.

This is true as well. My parents have no idea what engine is in their Malibu - I asked them a while back if they had the I4 or V6 and neither of them knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Of course the drivers of a loving Malibu don't care about what kind of engine powers their shitbox. But they're a different sort of consumer than the person who buys a Mustang or F150.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

Of course the drivers of a loving Malibu don't care about what kind of engine powers their shitbox. But they're a different sort of consumer than the person who buys a Mustang or F150.

Well duh, they'd never buy a Mustang or F-150 because Ford makes those and they won't touch a Ford with a ten-foot pole. :v:

I know way too many people who "would rather push a Chevy than drive a Ford" or vice-versa...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

Wasn't there a poll done of BMW 1 series owners where an absurd number thought the car was FWD? The overwhelming majority of people don't know poo poo about cars. Even the one they drive.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I'm surprised that there isn't more love for the Hyundai Santa Cruz concept. I thought this place liked utes let alone a diesel-powered ute with optional AWD and an extendable bed. :awesome: And it sounds like it may actually go into production with the extendable bed.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/hyundai-santa-cruz-pickup-truck-revealed-diesel-powered-and-super-rad-news

Okay so I'm not really into pickup trucks or very large vehicles and don't understand what appeals to their owners but I do have a soft spot for car-like pickups like the El Camino and the BRAT and the Santa Cruz looks a lot better than the Baja. I had a hard time describing what was wrong with the Baja's appearance but Hyundai's VP of product planning hit it on the head.

"If you look at another product that was most recently on the market, the rear axle was actually exactly between the cab and the bed, so the bed was completely cantilevered. [He’s talking about the Subaru Baja—Ed.] As a design exercise you look at that and say, 'There’s something wrong.' From our perspective, design is paramount, and we built the concept around that so it has the right proportions."
http://blog.caranddriver.com/just-how-close-to-production-is-the-hyundai-santa-cruz-crossover-truck/

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
AI is great

"Oh my god that new Mustang is the poo poo"

"Ugh, who gives a gently caress about that fatass Porsche Targa :jerkbag:"

We are living in strange times.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

fknlo posted:

Wasn't there a poll done of BMW 1 series owners where an absurd number thought the car was FWD? The overwhelming majority of people don't know poo poo about cars. Even the one they drive.

Let's be fair: the average driver of a 128i is little different than the average driver of a Malibu, except they spent another 10K for a badge.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

HotCanadianChick posted:

Well duh, they'd never buy a Mustang or F-150 because Ford makes those and they won't touch a Ford with a ten-foot pole. :v:

I know way too many people who "would rather push a Chevy than drive a Ford" or vice-versa...

The V8 is also cheaper. You really underestimate the average truck or pony car buyer. Or overestimate, I guess. Even with the V6 making more power and better economy, a poo poo ton of people will still never want one.

Plus there's a persistent rumor I keep hearing from those same people that all of the ecoboost motors are horribly unreliable and thus worse. No one ever has proof, but it's a very common assertion.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The Coyote is probably more reliable than the Ecoboost over the long term, but not in any way that would matter to your average driver.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

I've said before - make "V8" a trim designation and slap the badge on there, and half of them won't ever know.

I was going to write a rebuttal but then I remembered a few studies where up to 80% of the drivers out there have no idea if their cars are FWD or RWD.

quote:

Also seen the same study with Ford drivers and other Euro cars. The results always make for depressing and disturbing reading. The majority of drivers literally dont know what wheels are driven. Or why it's rather important.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

iwentdoodie posted:

Plus there's a persistent rumor I keep hearing from those same people that all of the ecoboost motors are horribly unreliable and thus worse. No one ever has proof, but it's a very common assertion.

I've seen 3 grenaded Ecoboost F-150's at the auction with under 50k on the dial.

Anecdote, I know, but they aren't bulletproof. Also, I more chalk it up to user error, to be honest.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

VikingSkull posted:

I've seen 3 grenaded Ecoboost F-150's at the auction with under 50k on the dial.

Anecdote, I know, but they aren't bulletproof. Also, I more chalk it up to user error, to be honest.

You can do that with almost any motor though. And I'm not saying they're bulletproof, but I hear people sticking Yugo levels of unreliable on them.

The funniest one I found was a guy who has an Escape with the 1.6, going off about how bad ecoboost motors are. Reminded him he had one, at which point he insisted it was just the one in the truck. Because it wasn't a V8.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Cylinder bias goes down the pole from 6 to 4 too. My brother in law drove my Fusion (2.0) and loved it. Talked about how quick it felt and how well it drove. I said "crazy out of a 4 cyl right?" That immediately turned into a poo poo engine that I'm crazy for getting. :v:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

VikingSkull posted:

How many Ecoboost F-150's have you seen go through though? Serious question, Ford has (Claimed to have) done a shitload of durability testing on those engines and I haven't heard of widespread issues, though my interest in the industry is fairly casual. Even Lexus and small block GM engines occasionally grenade just from a manufacturing defect or some such, not necessarily due to being intrinsically unreliable.

As to that Hyundai trucklet, it's cool and I I really hope they have the balls to bring it to market, but Honda already tried building the truck that people need rather than the truck that people want and it didn't go spectacularly well. If it happens I hope that Hyundai markets it well and to the right demographic.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

It would be neat to see a 60degree ecoboost V8 based on the updated 3.5 V6. They could just graft 2 more cylinders onto the blueprints kind of like what they did with the duratec based 3.4 liter SHO V8 from the 90's.

I thought the Coyote was designed to be easily adaptable to direct injection? I vaguely remember reading an article in one of the Mustang mags that mentioned that and even showed where the injectors would be placed on the combustion side of the head.

Edit: Also, how much did Ford own the hell out of this auto show? I love it. Even the new MKX is a very attractive luxo-crossover.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 14, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Wheeee posted:

How many Ecoboost F-150's have you seen go through though? Serious question, Ford has (Claimed to have) done a shitload of durability testing on those engines and I haven't heard of widespread issues, though my interest in the industry is fairly casual. Even Lexus and small block GM engines occasionally grenade just from a manufacturing defect or some such, not necessarily due to being intrinsically unreliable.

As to that Hyundai trucklet, it's cool and I I really hope they have the balls to bring it to market, but Honda already tried building the truck that people need rather than the truck that people want and it didn't go spectacularly well. If it happens I hope that Hyundai markets it well and to the right demographic.

Maybe 200 or so.

Like I said, I'm in the user error camp.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Edward IV posted:

I'm surprised that there isn't more love for the Hyundai Santa Cruz concept. I thought this place liked utes let alone a diesel-powered ute with optional AWD and an extendable bed. :awesome: And it sounds like it may actually go into production with the extendable bed.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/hyundai-santa-cruz-pickup-truck-revealed-diesel-powered-and-super-rad-news

Okay so I'm not really into pickup trucks or very large vehicles and don't understand what appeals to their owners but I do have a soft spot for car-like pickups like the El Camino and the BRAT and the Santa Cruz looks a lot better than the Baja. I had a hard time describing what was wrong with the Baja's appearance but Hyundai's VP of product planning hit it on the head.

"If you look at another product that was most recently on the market, the rear axle was actually exactly between the cab and the bed, so the bed was completely cantilevered. [He’s talking about the Subaru Baja—Ed.] As a design exercise you look at that and say, 'There’s something wrong.' From our perspective, design is paramount, and we built the concept around that so it has the right proportions."
http://blog.caranddriver.com/just-how-close-to-production-is-the-hyundai-santa-cruz-crossover-truck/

If Hyundai actually build this thing, it's the kind of thing I would actually consider.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

SouthLAnd posted:

It would be neat to see a 60degree ecoboost V8 based on the updated 3.5 V6. They could just graft 2 more cylinders onto the blueprints kind of like what they did with the duratec based 3.4 liter SHO V8 from the 90's.

I thought the Coyote was designed to be easily adaptable to direct injection? I vaguely remember reading an article in one of the Mustang mags that mentioned that and even showed where the injectors would be placed on the combustion side of the head.

Edit: Also, how much did Ford own the hell out of this auto show? I love it. Even the new MKX is a very attractive luxo-crossover.

The 60* V8 needed balance shafts though, and it was made to solve problems (Volvo doesn't have a V8, and it needs to go into a FWD transverse car) that Ford doesn't have.

Here's GM's entry to the new truck arena.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/12/2015-chevy-silverado-custom-sport-is-subtle-in-black/

Now you can get the bumper in body color instead of chrome.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

The 60* V8 needed balance shafts though, and it was made to solve problems (Volvo doesn't have a V8, and it needs to go into a FWD transverse car) that Ford doesn't have.

Fun fact. The DOHC 4.6 mod motor also fits in 90's Taurus's (if just barely). A transverse setup was used in the Taurus related Lincoln Continental of the day.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

VikingSkull posted:

AI is great

"Oh my god that new Mustang is the poo poo"

"Ugh, who gives a gently caress about that fatass Porsche Targa :jerkbag:"

We are living in strange times.

Yeah I'd much rather everyone suck off Porsche and not pay attention to muscle cars. Lol

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

If money were no object, there'd be an AWD Carrera in my garage in a heartbeat.

Need a winter beater when I can't take the Hellcat or GT350 out.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I find supercars too flashy. E63 AMG or Hellcat Charger for me.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

AWD Hellcat Grand Caravan.

:madmax:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SouthLAnd posted:

Maybe they can bring back the Mangum... Hellcat AWD station wagon...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Being the engine stress-tester would be a fun gig.

"My job? I gotta try and break this fucker today."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Yeah I'd much rather everyone suck off Porsche and not pay attention to muscle cars. Lol

To be fair there's nothing technically impressive about Porsche, they're hilariously overpriced cars and their terrible resale shows it.

Before some dumb nerd jumps on me yes, I'd take a 911 over a Mustang if someone were handing me the keys, but for the money they aren't special at all. A mainstream manufacturer like Ford building awesome vehicles is far more impressive and frankly relevant.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's a TTAC that's fairly on the mark.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/01/makes-expensive-cars-terrible-anyway/

TL;DR RIch people love buying terrible junk because why not? They're rich they don't need to get to work or anything.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

The Coyote is probably more reliable than the Ecoboost over the long term, but not in any way that would matter to your average driver.
I'm not an average driver, I'm a poor driver. How would that affect the later years of a car's life, like the '94 Suburban I'm about to not own anymore with 208,000 miles? Just more maintenance around this time, or would it already be in a junkyard with a hood full of dents underneath from when parts of the engine liberated themselves?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would be very shocked if any Ford GT ever sees the high side of 200k miles in its lifetime.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

SouthLAnd posted:

It was originally designed to be DI, but the engineers found a way to port-inject the engine and get identical power figures from it, so they decided not to go wit the DI setup.

iwentdoodie posted:

The V8 is also cheaper. You really underestimate the average truck or pony car buyer. Or overestimate, I guess. Even with the V6 making more power and better economy, a poo poo ton of people will still never want one.

It's okay to pick a six over and eight in a 5-series, but in a Mustang it's blasphemy. Some folks are just retarded.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 19, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Wheeee posted:

Before some dumb nerd jumps on me yes, I'd take a 911 over a Mustang if someone were handing me the keys, but for the money they aren't special at all. A mainstream manufacturer like Ford building awesome vehicles is far more impressive and frankly relevant.
I'd take the 911 over a Mustang too, but only long enough to liquidate it into a GT350 *and* an F150 3.5EB.

Yes, I'm a Ford fanboy.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Friar Zucchini posted:

I'm not an average driver, I'm a poor driver. How would that affect the later years of a car's life, like the '94 Suburban I'm about to not own anymore with 208,000 miles? Just more maintenance around this time, or would it already be in a junkyard with a hood full of dents underneath from when parts of the engine liberated themselves?

If it's well maintained, it will probably be fine, but there are more expensive bits that can potentially break. It's probably wrong for me to say the Coyote will be more reliable in the long run. More accurately, I should say it will be cheaper to fix.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SouthLAnd posted:

As long as it has vinyl seats and rubber floor, so it is easy to hose out the vomit

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

ilkhan posted:

I'd take the 911 over a Mustang too, but only long enough to liquidate it into a GT350 *and* an F150 3.5EB.

Yes, I'm a Ford fanboy.

I grew up in a GM household (Dad, mom never gave a poo poo), then changed my opinion as I read more and dad bought some Hondas to Honda being king, and as an adult have owned GM, Ford, Honda, and Nissan vehicles and... gently caress GM, otherwise I'm down with whoever makes the best/coolest vehicle in the segment I'm shopping.

Right now I wouldn't personally buy anything Hyundai/Kia but I believe that ten years from now they'll likely be making the best poo poo. Ford and, to a slightly lesser extent FiatChrysler. are also making awesome poo poo and just getting better.

I'm not a fanboy for any brand, but I do hate GM, and while right now if I were in the market for a mainstream and boring practical vehicle I'd b shopping Toyota or Honda, I believe the Koreans are the ones to watch for the future.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Wheeee posted:

I grew up in a GM household (Dad, mom never gave a poo poo), then changed my opinion as I read more and dad bought some Hondas to Honda being king, and as an adult have owned GM, Ford, Honda, and Nissan vehicles and... gently caress GM, otherwise I'm down with whoever makes the best/coolest vehicle in the segment I'm shopping.

Right now I wouldn't personally buy anything Hyundai/Kia but I believe that ten years from now they'll likely be making the best poo poo. Ford and, to a slightly lesser extent FiatChrysler. are also making awesome poo poo and just getting better.

I'm not a fanboy for any brand, but I do hate GM, and while right now if I were in the market for a mainstream and boring practical vehicle I'd b shopping Toyota or Honda, I believe the Koreans are the ones to watch for the future.

Flip those last ones, as right now Hyundai/Kia are making a better lineup than Honda/Toyota. The past decade has seen very little change in any of Honda or Toyota's lineup, just a bunch of warmed over styling refreshes and right now both are pretty far behind the competition (though the new Accord is supposedly getting back to what you'd expect from an accord). The Forte is an awesome little car for the money, and the Koreans offer a lot more for your money than Toyota/Honda have lately - it's not that the Japanese brands are making bad cars, per se, it's just that they're largely making the same cars now that were decent about 10 years ago, but are hilariously outdated and in need of serious ground up redesigns by now. Toyota still has a ton of cars with loving 4 speed autos in them when pretty much the entire rest of the industry has been going towards 6-10 speed autos for a couple years now.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Wheeee posted:

To be fair there's nothing technically impressive about Porsche, they're hilariously overpriced cars and their terrible resale shows it.

I wouldn't discount how impressive it for Porsche to take the rear engine layout and do what they did with it.

It's funny that you say you're impressed by Ford building awesome vehicles - there's good engineering here, sure, but the reason you're impressed is they finally got around their own lovely corporate culture and started making enthusiast products. I'm guessing Ford engineers could have made great cars at any time in the company's history. The real victory here is that management let them.

Modern Porsches also hold their value relatively well compared to other luxury cars (check 997 prices). The first reason luxury cars depreciate is objective cost of ownership. Aside from the IMS/RMS issues circa 1999-2008ish (which are easily prevented), my understanding is that modern Porsches are quite reliable and relatively low maintenance. The second reason luxury cars depreciate is because most are purchased as fashion accessories by empty people, and as such lose value when a newer, more fashionable generation comes out. Depreciation on that end is inevitable.

A new 911 will never be a "good value," especially with the ridiculous price of Porsche options, but hey, people are willing to pay it. Most of that is because both the brand and the styling carry tremendous emotional clout with buyers, so Porsche might as well cash in on the reputation they've built for themselves. They won't lose until they can no longer keep pace on the performance side, which is unlikely to happen.

I probably sound like a Porsche apologist here so I will say that if I was buying new I'd get a C7 over a 991, partly because the 991 is a weird soulless Panamera coupe. I would love to own a used 997 or Cayman S someday.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Take anything from the Brits with a big grain of salt. Not only are they tabloids but usually British pricing is "Change the $ to Pounds and call it a day" which is a stupid high price adjustment.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

oRenj9 posted:

Even people with less powerful six cylinder cars poo poo on my V6 Mustang because it's a only V6. It's okay to pick a six over and eight in a 5-series, but in a Mustang it's blasphemy. Some folks are just retarded.

I used to feel the same way but now I want an EcoBoost Mustang. There's something about it I like that I can't quite put my finger on. Plus I would like having more power than my dad's '06 GT, with half the displacement.

Wheeee posted:

Every other car my dad owns is a GM. I want to like GM but every example, except his Chevelle, is pretty bad. 1997 Buick LeSabre has had a bad transmission stutter since he bought it in 2001, feels like a 70s land barge, and leaks water pretty badly. 2005 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0 gas, ate a cam around 40k. 2010 Chevy Impala, has less than 50k on it but feels like it's 10 years older with 150k, and Chevy managed to get the feel of a bench in bucket seats.

Plus the whole ignoring a simple to fix ignition issue for a decade that led to people dying thing.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Wheeee posted:

Are you posting from 2006 or something? As was said by another poster Hyundai and Kia are on par or in many cases ahead of the traditional top brands when it comes to what they offer. The biggest obstacle to being an even bigger factor in the market is that brand perception has lagged behind the quality of the vehicles and systems they have been putting out. That is starting to change and both brands have been among the fastest growing automotive brands over the past 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kill me now posted:

Are you posting from 2006 or something? As was said by another poster Hyundai and Kia are on par or in many cases ahead of the traditional top brands when it comes to what they offer. The biggest obstacle to being an even bigger factor in the market is that brand perception has lagged behind the quality of the vehicles and systems they have been putting out. That is starting to change and both brands have been among the fastest growing automotive brands over the past 5 years.

Seriously, this. If I was shopping for your traditional midsize sedan, I'd have a hard time picking between the Optima and the Fusion and might actually get the Optima because I think they're slightly better looking on both the outside and the inside.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 14, 2015