Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hauki posted:

Eh, work isn't as much of an issue. They have a full kitchen and ample time for coffee/tea at least. He's got a long commute though.

I mean, I'd like to keep it under $200, and $100 or less would be better.

The electric kettle on a timer is a good idea, at this point I'm thinking about that and maybe a better pourover than the melitta, since it's plastic and probably at least 15 years old at this point.
Any specific recommendations for electric kettles with a timer? I just have a hario gooseneck.

This electric kettle was recommended in the tea thread. I don't have it yet so..

Cuisinart CPK-17 PerfecTemp 1.7-Liter Stainless Steel Cordless Electric Kettle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

We live in BFE and there aren't any local roasters. Are there any recommended online stores to order roasted bean?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

We live in BFE and there aren't any local roasters. Are there any recommended online stores to order roasted bean?

Fellow goon MasterControl runs Royal Mile Coffee Roasting, which I can't personally speak to, but every review I've read of his coffee has been positive.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I went crazy and started roasting my own beans, since it's not really possible to economize on shipping costs by purchasing large amounts of roasted coffee.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

TheJeffers posted:

Fellow goon MasterControl runs Royal Mile Coffee Roasting, which I can't personally speak to, but every review I've read of his coffee has been positive.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I went crazy and started roasting my own beans, since it's not really possible to economize on shipping costs by purchasing large amounts of roasted coffee.

I have to many irons in the fore as it is, and If I buy a roaster my wife will kill me. Might give the goon shop a shot, thank you.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Hauki posted:

I mean, I'd like to keep it under $200, and $100 or less would be better.

The electric kettle on a timer is a good idea, at this point I'm thinking about that and maybe a better pourover than the melitta, since it's plastic and probably at least 15 years old at this point.
Any specific recommendations for electric kettles with a timer? I just have a hario gooseneck.

In the $200 range, the Bonavita BV1900TS is a pretty bitchingly good auto-drip. It's $180 at Prima, which is at the upper end of the budget, but if you have someone to share the expense with, might make it sting less. You can get its predecessor, the BV1800, for around $120 if you shop around and are willing to settle for the burner model (instead of the thermal carafe, which is $160). A lot of people like this Zojirushi drip coffee maker for the price, which would be in your budget.

I have, and like, the Bonavita temperature control gooseneck kettle. It's got a lot of great features, and pairing it with a new pour-over cone constitutes a pretty great gift, in my opinion. I like the Bee House for "great cup but difficult to screw up".

I disagree that AeroPress or CCD are a pain to clean. A great thing about the CCD is that it's an immersion brewer that isn't really grind-dependent - so you can go finer grind and a shorter brew time, or put a french press grind in there and come back in five minutes. When you're done, pop the filter in the trash can and rinse it in the sink. It's extremely easy to clean. Same with the AeroPress - shoot the puck into the trash, rinse, put away. CCD gets my vote, as it makes a decent-sized cup of coffee and is braindead simple to use.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Moka lover here. It just make me survive!
Tough it takes quite a lot of runs before the moka actually runs making decent coffees. I just bought one like 20 days ago and i actually needed to run it like 10 times throwing away the coffee before i could actually drink one. Same happened once when my gf didn't know it and washed it with soap.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Oh god I need a scale.

Just made a cup of opaque mud with my CCD, I am bouncing off the walls here at work.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I have a pretty crappy, although totally usable scale right now, but one of the people I work with just got one of those Acaia wireless scales, and now I really want to upgrade.

The chart that shows how consistent your pour is seems like it would be pretty interesting.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I have a pretty crappy, although totally usable scale right now, but one of the people I work with just got one of those Acaia wireless scales, and now I really want to upgrade.

The chart that shows how consistent your pour is seems like it would be pretty interesting.

How did I not know about this thing?

The scale itself is water-resistant, which I've wanted in a scale forever, and the data-logging features look really interesting. $129 is a lot of money, but if it makes it easier to brew coffee better and with greater consistency, it seems like a small price to pay.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My shop just got one, it's loving awesome.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I'm a super coffee sperg with all sorts of dumb poo poo, but I balked at the cost last year and got one of the Bonavita scales instead. I would still quite like to try an Acaia, but it's hard to justify $150 plus tax (Canadian price) when I already have a great scale. I have no intention of using my phone for anything that involves pouring water, and the Acaia's built-in display has always seemed a bit too minimalistic for my tastes. I have a hard time believing people are dramatically improving their coffee quality by monitoring pour flow rate graphs, or that sharing your pour graphs with others will catch on, but who knows. What I want from a non-portable brewing scale is 0.1 g precision, a nice clear display, a reasonably water resistant case, fast update, no auto-shutoff, and preferably a built-in timer.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

it's like people with their vitamixes. The instant they drop a huge amount of money on something they feel the need to talk about how awesome it is so that they don't feel bad for spending such a huge amount of money.

"Diminishing returns? What's that? All I know is that before, my coffee tasted like poo poo. Now that I have this scale, it's WAY BETTER. Boy am I ever glad I got this scale! No really! It's so much better you have to try it so that I'm not the only stupid one person enjoying this huge difference!"

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Home use I'd definitely stick the acaia in the uber spergs only category unless $120 isn't a big deal to you. Then go ahead do whatever. I'd say coffee shops that are serious about consistency should really strongly consider it though.

I will defend the vitamix to the death. If you blend with any regularity the vitamix is so incredibly worth it.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, it seems like it would make a really good training tool for a coffee shop.

I just need to convince my boss to buy one so we can reintroduce pourovers to the menu.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Guitarchitect posted:

it's like people with their vitamixes. The instant they drop a huge amount of money on something they feel the need to talk about how awesome it is so that they don't feel bad for spending such a huge amount of money.

"Diminishing returns? What's that? All I know is that before, my coffee tasted like poo poo. Now that I have this scale, it's WAY BETTER. Boy am I ever glad I got this scale! No really! It's so much better you have to try it so that I'm not the only stupid one person enjoying this huge difference!"

Yeah, people that spend money on things that are unnecessary but bring them joy or save them time are stupid, especially if they talk about how awesome those things are.

Guitarchitect posted:

Just got a Bona Vita temperature-control gooseneck kettle. Already love it because it's so quiet and fast!

Guitarchitect posted:

I recently upgraded from my cuisinart Static+dust generating coffee grinder to a Capresso Infinity (the 565 - Best Buy had a sale for $99, down from $179).

It's fantastic!

becoming fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 13, 2015

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
If you regularly post or hang out in this thread you're probably somewhat of a :spergin: already when it comes to coffee, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you share.

Speaking of sharing, I bought a gigantic 48oz stainless steel french press, and now it's easier for me to share my coffee with others when I feel like it. Combined with my recent Virtuoso purchase and my coffee bag's actually less bulky since I don't have to carry my Chemex and filters anymore. Making coffee for more than two people with a Chemex sucked.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Casull posted:

Speaking of sharing, I bought a gigantic 48oz stainless steel french press, and now it's easier for me to share my coffee with others when I feel like it. Combined with my recent Virtuoso purchase and my coffee bag's actually less bulky since I don't have to carry my Chemex and filters anymore. Making coffee for more than two people with a Chemex sucked.

Which did you get? I'm thinking about getting the biggest Frieling (44 ounces, I think), as - and I know this sounds silly - I pretty regularly want to make more than the ~30 ounces I can currently get out of my 8-cup Frieling.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Where are all these rowdy multi cup coffee parties going on. I occasionally go hog wild and make 2 coffees at once...

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

becoming posted:

Which did you get? I'm thinking about getting the biggest Frieling (44 ounces, I think), as - and I know this sounds silly - I pretty regularly want to make more than the ~30 ounces I can currently get out of my 8-cup Frieling.

Planetary Design's 48-oz Stainless Steel version. The same company that makes the AirScape for storing beans as well.

The only annoyance is getting the last couple sips out of the press; I have to rock the french press back and forth a bit to slosh out the rest of it.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

becoming posted:

Yeah, people that spend money on things that are unnecessary but bring them joy or save them time are stupid, especially if they talk about how awesome those things are.

yes because water temperature and grinders have nothing to do with making coffee, it's all about the slight variation in the weight of the beans and the connection to your smartphone that makes it better.

(honestly I'm talking specifically about people who evangelize about said products, which I'd say is different than saying "I just bought it and I like it" - not to mention you conveniently left out the fact that i was posting about the capresso to get help with it because it's a pain in the rear end but EH, DETAILS)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I use my eyeballs to ensure I use the proper amount of beans.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ded posted:

I use my balls to ensure I use the proper amount of beans.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Guitarchitect posted:

yes because water temperature and grinders have nothing to do with making coffee, it's all about the slight variation in the weight of the beans and the connection to your smartphone that makes it better.

(honestly I'm talking specifically about people who evangelize about said products, which I'd say is different than saying "I just bought it and I like it" - not to mention you conveniently left out the fact that i was posting about the capresso to get help with it because it's a pain in the rear end but EH, DETAILS)

My point is simply that neither a Bonavita temperature-control gooseneck kettle nor a $100 burr grinder are necessary to make coffee, but you spent ~$200 on them because they were worth it to you. That's totally okay, and so is spending money on a fancy blender, if you blend a lot. It's even okay to tell people "this Bonavita kettle has really helped me make the best coffee I've ever had", just like it's okay to tell people "my Vitamix allows me to make the best kale smoothies I've ever had".

I'm unclear on why other people are "stupid" because they have some nice things that you personally would never buy. This scale hasn't even been out long enough for people to evangelize. Somehow, though, this offends you enough to call buyers of it "stupid". I'm just perplexed.

It's probably worth the money to some people, and that's okay. I personally brew on the $19 scale that everyone in the thread owns, and that's okay too. What do I care whether someone else buys a fancy scale?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, goons absolutely love to get mad about how other people spend their money. :shrug:

Also can we talk about blenders some more? My parents bought a Blendtec a few years ago and it's ruined me for regular blenders. I absolutely will buy one as soon as I can afford to (probably before that, if we're honest). You just can't get the same smoothness with a regular blender.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Coffee smoothie or wrong thread?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

dik-dik posted:

Yeah, goons absolutely love to get mad about how other people spend their money. :shrug:

Also can we talk about blenders some more? My parents bought a Blendtec a few years ago and it's ruined me for regular blenders. I absolutely will buy one as soon as I can afford to (probably before that, if we're honest). You just can't get the same smoothness with a regular blender.

What's the best blender to use for grinding coffee? I've been using a Magic Bullet to grind for my Mr. Coffee Expresso machine; but friends tell me a real aficionado would spend the extra money and get a Ninja?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

porktree posted:

What's the best blender to use for grinding coffee? I've been using a Magic Bullet to grind for my Mr. Coffee Expresso machine; but friends tell me a real aficionado would spend the extra money and get a Ninja?

I use a mortar and pestle.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Grind it with your teeth then spit into your brew vessel. Your saliva takes care of the bloom.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
So I got a moka pot for Christmas and I LOVE it. I drank from it for about a week then went back to regular coffee...and regular coffee just tasted so watery. It was weird. I've never had espresso before but is this why people love espresso compared to coffee so much?

Anyways, I've been roasting my own with the HG/DB but I also got a bag from Counter Culture (their holiday blend) to try out. I noticed something interesting when I was filling the basket for the moka pot. In the interest of saving the most of my beans I measured how much coffee I needed to grind in order to fill the basket: 30g for the CC coffee and 35g for my own roasted.

I have a few questions:
* Am I under-roasting my beans? I stop pretty much when the majority of the first crack seems to have died ie. it's been several seconds since the last pop. The beans are mottled dark brown and light brown and the majority of them are puffed and have obtuse edges rather than the sharp square edges if that makes sense. But it's clear there is still more water content in the beans compared to CC's beans.

* Is roast weight / raw weight any indicator of roast quality?

* Since there's such a big difference...how much of a difference is there between weight vs. volumetric measurements when brewing coffee? I know using a scale lets you use consistent amounts, but when the roast levels are different, how would you account for the heavier coffees from lighter roasts?

* Do different beans lose different water weights compared to other beans ie. is it better to measure different weights for different beans?

* Does none of this matter?

This is more curiosity than anything. The coffee has been delicious either way.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I use a mortar and pestle.

I tried that for a French Press brew. Couldn't tell the difference from my Hario Skereton.

Maybe I'm just a hairy barbarian.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Hario grinders are actually terrible at doing coarse grinding so I'm not surprised. They are fine for doing the V60 pour over or the Aeropress but that's all.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

There's a mod you can do - at least with the mini-mill - that is said to improve the coarse consistency remarkably. I have not done it to mine yet, so I can't give you the details, but a bit of time on Google should point you to the right direction. It involves parts from Home Depot and apparently costs about $1 total.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Capresso infinity is $100 at bed bath and beyond, right? I was going to take the broken step down capresso model back to Sur la table and use one of those 20% coupons that mysteriously showed up in my mail like you guys said

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Capresso infinity is $100 at bed bath and beyond, right? I was going to take the broken step down capresso model back to Sur la table and use one of those 20% coupons that mysteriously showed up in my mail like you guys said
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/capresso-reg-infinity-black-conical-burr-grinder/1014902422

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Awesome. That comment someone made about "Just use that 20% off coupon from BBB that you've been throwing out every few weeks and get an infinity" was hilarious because it showed up right on time when I needed to get rid of this disc POS and get a conical.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Awesome. That comment someone made about "Just use that 20% off coupon from BBB that you've been throwing out every few weeks and get an infinity" was hilarious because it showed up right on time when I needed to get rid of this disc POS and get a conical.

:hfive: I think what I actually said is that you probably have one in your trash can right now. My other BBB tip is that they will accept expired coupons without question, so don't let that ever dissuade you. Glad you are getting the Infinity, your mouth will most certainly thank you.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

becoming posted:

:hfive: I think what I actually said is that you probably have one in your trash can right now. My other BBB tip is that they will accept expired coupons without question, so don't let that ever dissuade you. Glad you are getting the Infinity, your mouth will most certainly thank you.

Well, I gypsied the Sur la Table girl down 20% for my trouble since they were only going to give me gift card and I now have a Stainless Infinity. Thing weighs like ten pounds. My buddy who is a VP at a coffee company said it's the same one they have in their little office cafe and said the main advantages over the plastic one is that it's 1) pretty and 2) much much quieter.

So happy right now.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

porktree posted:

I LOL'd pretty good at this, particularly the "Mr. Coffee Expresso".

Flattened Spoon posted:

* Am I under-roasting my beans? I stop pretty much when the majority of the first crack seems to have died ie. it's been several seconds since the last pop. The beans are mottled dark brown and light brown and the majority of them are puffed and have obtuse edges rather than the sharp square edges if that makes sense. But it's clear there is still more water content in the beans compared to CC's beans.

* Is roast weight / raw weight any indicator of roast quality?

* Since there's such a big difference...how much of a difference is there between weight vs. volumetric measurements when brewing coffee? I know using a scale lets you use consistent amounts, but when the roast levels are different, how would you account for the heavier coffees from lighter roasts?

* Do different beans lose different water weights compared to other beans ie. is it better to measure different weights for different beans?

* Does none of this matter?

This is more curiosity than anything. The coffee has been delicious either way.

- Try roasting a bit longer. If the coffee is better to you, then yes, you were under-roasting. If not, then no.

- Don't think so.

- This is where trying different ratios with each coffee comes into play, and why recording your results is important if you value getting the absolute best possible cup you can make. Some beans, I like 1:17, some beans I like 1:16, and most, somewhere in between. Keep playing around and see what you like best.

- Really the same as the previous answer. Your palate will tell you what you like best for each bean.

- Probably only if you think it does. A lot of this is coffee theory anyway, aimed at WBC contenders extracting the very last little bit of potential from a bean (or a brewing method). As Guitarchitect correctly pointed out, these are diminishing returns: you could make a hundred cups of coffee from a bean with slightly different ratios each time and eventually get the absolute best cup of coffee you can get from that bean... but you've spent the time making those hundred cups. The question is, was it worth it to you? Did you enjoy the process? Do you feel your time was wasted, or is this a hobby for you?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yes, do this. It's a great little grinder for the money. Just hold the grind container in with your finger when you're grinding. It tends to get vibrated forward a tiny bit as it grinds and then some grinds end up behind the container.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

rockcity posted:

Yes, do this. It's a great little grinder for the money. Just hold the grind container in with your finger when you're grinding. It tends to get vibrated forward a tiny bit as it grinds and then some grinds end up behind the container.

I made them cut the price on the full Stainless commercial one at Sur la table. It doesn't have that problem so far (I used to have the plastic) and it is so much quieter it's unbelievable.