Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

I can see it and all his tweets.

So can I when I log out, guess I got blocked. All I can recall doing is wishing him a happy birthday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

all i learned from that twitter is that they wrap bananas, possibly plantains, in plastic bags. doesn't that make them age faster?

Kakaricho posted:

So can I when I log out, guess I got blocked. All I can recall doing is wishing him a happy birthday...

he might have hit the wrong button

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Acer Pilot posted:

all i learned from that twitter is that they wrap bananas, possibly plantains, in plastic bags. doesn't that make them age faster?

he might have hit the wrong button

Paper bags are better. Works for oranges, apples, tomatoes and avocados too. The more you put in the same bag, the quicker they all ripen.
And it is possible it was a mistake, like the exciting five minutes Arino followed me.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 14, 2015

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Thanks for the new episode. I really love how into it Kan was with his commentary. Kinda makes me want to see Arino play another old sports game some day.

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
Hearing the theme to 'Touch' is never a bad thing.

Vamino
Oct 21, 2012

13/f/cali posted:

Thanks for the new episode. I really love how into it Kan was with his commentary. Kinda makes me want to see Arino play another old sports game some day.

I think it was a fuji tv sports announcer, rather than Kan, who was doing the play-by-play and being very excitable.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Not actually Koshien (it's the Ishikawa prefecture finals), but this is what it looks like if you play like Arino in real life. Got a lot of headlines last summer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9acEorOQ-8E

Vamino posted:

I think it was a fuji tv sports announcer, rather than Kan, who was doing the play-by-play and being very excitable.

That's right, it`s Kazushige Fukunaga, he does announcer work for Fuji, mainly sport matches and cooking shows (he also likes Mecha Ike).
http://www.fujitv.co.jp/ana/fukunaga/index.html

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 14, 2015

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

Suda's vanished. His Twitter account is gone (Scratch that, his account is still there, I'm just blocked from seeing it, can anyone else confirm? https://twitter.com/gensan1023 Maybe he went private for some reason, he did talk about his kids and family a lot) and he hasn't been on in a while, but nothing has been said about it. The joke about Fukawa and eating is because he's gotten really fat since he got married and had a kid (he's gained over 20kg)

I watched some of the previous s18 tamage segments and saw the joke start with the Super Mario Land episode. Big appetite indeed. I can definitely tell the difference since his previous appearances.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Kakaricho posted:

Not actually Koshien (it's the Ishikawa prefecture finals), but this is what it looks like if you play like Arino in real life. Got a lot of headlines last summer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9acEorOQ-8E

That's right, it`s Kazushige Fukunaga, he does announcer work for Fuji, mainly sport matches and cooking shows (he also likes Mecha Ike).

Oh, that's actually really interesting! I thought Kan was just disguising his voice really well. Sure fooled me.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

joek0 posted:

I watched some of the previous s18 tamage segments and saw the joke start with the Super Mario Land episode. Big appetite indeed. I can definitely tell the difference since his previous appearances.

Watch "Go by Train!" and then "Super Mario Land", it`s pretty shocking. A few GCCX Channel clips have discussed how he basically started packing it on once his wife got pregnant than never stopped.

13/f/cali posted:

Oh, that's actually really interesting! I thought Kan was just disguising his voice really well. Sure fooled me.

Fooled me too, didn't catch on until I re-watched it.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, my main parting thought from this baseball episode is just a brightly burning hope that they one day get him on a copy of NBA Jam and/or NFL Blitz. I would imagine both saw a Japanese release?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Kakaricho posted:

Nope, these kids are loud, shoplifting dicks, but at least they keep hair dye companies in business.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Yeah, my main parting thought from this baseball episode is just a brightly burning hope that they one day get him on a copy of NBA Jam and/or NFL Blitz. I would imagine both saw a Japanese release?

They were, Tournament Edition at least

I was waiting for someone to post that! But there's a difference between the "high-school-punk-band-loud" kids and the "social-annoyance, put-a-turd-in-the-ice-cream-cooler-during-summer-last-year" kids I'm being a grumbly old man about.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I have a question. There seemed to be a joke about when Arino labeled his hat with GCCX where the G was centered and larger. Can anyone explain the joke for that?

Obeast posted:

I wanted to ask about this since it seems like every time Arino used the pitcher to pick up a ball after a successful hit or bunt, it never worked whereas the other fielders could pick it up just fine. Is/was this a bug/glitch in the game itself or some kind of real life rule in Japanese High School Baseball that Arino might've not known of? :confused:
A lot of those old baseball games are like that. I think the hit detection starts at the pixel at the bottom of the players feet, and then extends in front of the player for a few pixels. A lot of those NES baseball games are like that where you have an easy time picking up a ball in front of you, but you practically have to run through the ball if you're chasing it down.

I've played a TON of NES baseball games in my day, including Little League Baseball (as well as RBI, Baseball Stars, Bad News, Major League), and I don't ever remember the CPU ever squeeze bunting (or just regular bunting for that matter) more than a few times. The CPU definitely liked to do the squeeze bunt more than anyone would imagine they should in video or real baseball. I also love that there's a special animation for diving waaaayyy outside for the bunt.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Firstborn posted:

Is there like a beginner episode where I can see if I dig the show? The staggering amount of seasons is pretty intimidating in the OP.
I still love the episodes where Arino struggles with a game, but through repetition, finally starts getting better and eventually beating it.
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Battletoads
Mighty Bomb Jack
Ninja Gaiden

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 14, 2015

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

cubeboy posted:

I have a question. There seemed to be a joke about when Arino labeled his hat with GCCX where the G was centered and larger. Can anyone explain the joke for that?
Most baseball caps sport only one initial.

The only thing funny about it is that they probably didn't expect the impromptu decorating job.
eta: Or that he jammed the rest of the letters on there, I guess. Kind of like a hat saying Detroit Tigers.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 14, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

cubeboy posted:

I still love the episodes where Arino struggles with a game, but through repetition, finally starts getting better and eventually beating it.

(games list)

You shouldn't spoil episode outcomes to a new viewer like that. :colbert:

Vamino
Oct 21, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

Please tell me he narrates the cooking shows with the same style he had on GCCX. That would be amazing.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

I was going to joke that he found out you were tracking everyone at Gas Coin's birthdays but... uh... hm

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

I was going to joke that he found out you were tracking everyone at Gas Coin's birthdays but... uh... hm

They did give a calendar with all of their birthdays on it away. I've got one, myself.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Vamino posted:

Please tell me he narrates the cooking shows with the same style he had on GCCX. That would be amazing.

No idea, it's just on his profile.\

Random Stranger posted:

They did give a calendar with all of their birthdays on it away. I've got one, myself.

The "Countdown to the 10th Anniversary" desktop calendar that came with DVD boxset 9, right?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

cubeboy posted:

A lot of those old baseball games are like that. I think the hit detection starts at the pixel at the bottom of the players feet, and then extends in front of the player for a few pixels. A lot of those NES baseball games are like that where you have an easy time picking up a ball in front of you, but you practically have to run through the ball if you're chasing it down.

I've played a TON of NES baseball games in my day, including Little League Baseball (as well as RBI, Baseball Stars, Bad News, Major League), and I don't ever remember the CPU ever squeeze bunting (or just regular bunting for that matter) more than a few times. The CPU definitely liked to do the squeeze bunt more than anyone would imagine they should in video or real baseball. I also love that there's a special animation for diving waaaayyy outside for the bunt.

I'd like to think that the AI adapted a little bit to his sloppy fielding on the mound, but I highly doubt that's actually the case.

Considering the game itself though I am pretty sure that the AI was just programmed to bunt more often and prioritize getting on base, since Japanese baseball revolves a little more around bunting and fielding; where as American baseball focuses more on good pitching and good RBI.

Also with how cheaty the AI feels with those consistent home-runs I wouldn't be too surprised lol.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Kakaricho posted:

Hahaha, thank you for sharing this! Total pro click, don't even have to know baseball or Japanese that well to understand what is happening in this video

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
A good episode, thanks all involved in getting it to us :)

I'm slightly disappointed to learn that the commentator wasn't actually Kan but it was still great.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm slightly disappointed to learn that the commentator wasn't actually Kan but it was still great.
The commentator was identified via caption the first time he started speaking. :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Samba De Amigo posted:

Considering the game itself though I am pretty sure that the AI was just programmed to bunt more often and prioritize getting on base, since Japanese baseball revolves a little more around bunting and fielding; where as American baseball focuses more on good pitching and good RBI.

Obviously the game was written before sabermetrics was a thing.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
So happy that this episode finally got released! Great job, guys!

Random Stranger posted:

Obviously the game was written before sabermetrics was a thing.

Having watched more recent Summer Koshien games (and even the Japanese pros!), it's almost as if sabermetrics still aren't a thing in Japan.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

SporkOfTruth posted:

So happy that this episode finally got released! Great job, guys!

I know we discussed working together to get this episode translated long ago. Sorry I never got around to it -- I'm just glad we got a translator who knows baseball!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The next challenge is R-Type.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

I love games from IREM!

I love it when they make Arino play shmups!

What is the new segment from the 2nd half of season 18? It seems to be like last season where Arino play and discuss games from MSX.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 15, 2015

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

joek0 posted:

I love games from IREM!

I love it when they make Arino play shmups!

What is the new segment from the 2nd half of season 18? It seems to be like last season where Arino play and discuss games from Sega MSX.

They're still doing the MSX segment, at least in the latest episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

I hope they use the TG-16 version just for the hilarious moment when he reaches the end of the game and then they bring out the second card.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Rochallor posted:

They're still doing the MSX segment, at least in the latest episode.

That is the segment I am referring to. 1st half was the Play Choice 10 segment and the 2nd half is the MSX segment.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
PCE version is SUPERIOR version。。。

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I hope they use the TG-16 version just for the hilarious moment when he reaches the end of the game and then they bring out the second card.

It doesn't say anywhere on the show's site, but a Japanese fan claimed it was the TG-16 version from the screen shots they used.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

joek0 posted:

That is the segment I am referring to. 1st half was the Play Choice 10 segment and the 2nd half is the MSX segment.

My bad, I misunderstood. I got it now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

It doesn't say anywhere on the show's site, but a Japanese fan claimed it was the TG-16 version from the screen shots they used.

I should have thought to go and look. It's definitely the TG-16/PCE version.

Arctos
May 10, 2008
After that text overlay heavy sports game episode, Captain Tsubasa is up next, right? ;) A two-parter soccer "RPG" with a text adventure part in the middle!
I like the game and the episodes but can't imagine the team is too enthusiastic to jump on two hours of this:

In any case thank you SA-GCCX team and keep up the good work!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Arctos posted:

After that text overlay heavy sports game episode, Captain Tsubasa is up next, right? ;) A two-parter soccer "RPG" with a text adventure part in the middle!
I like the game and the episodes but can't imagine the team is too enthusiastic to jump on two hours of this:

In any case thank you SA-GCCX team and keep up the good work!

Those two episodes are the ones I'm least likely to translate, mainly because:

- They`re pretty dull. Takahashi and Arino playing soccer is the best part.
- Not a soccer fan and not very familiar with the sport. I know baseball fairly well, so doing Koshien was fine, but research time alone for these episodes would take a few months, given the amount of time I have to translate.
- Did I mention they're slow episodes, and there's a lot of better episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Arctos posted:

Captain Tsubasa haunts my nightmares.