Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I wasn't arguing that House should let everyone into the Strip. I wasn't even arguing that he should even feed all of them or use his killer robots to protect them from the Fiends, though doing all that is certainly within his power.

He could just simply not treat the poor like literal vermin, shooting them on sight if they stray within his borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I wasn't arguing that House should let everyone into the Strip. I wasn't even arguing that he should even feed all of them or use his killer robots to protect them from the Fiends, though doing all that is certainly within his power.

It's actually not when the game starts. After he gets the rest of his robot army, he does exterminate the Fiends.

quote:

He could just simply not treat the poor like literal vermin, shooting them on sight if they stray within his borders.

He doesn't. He shoots people trying to break through his gate.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Garrand posted:

On the subject of the main quest givers (House, Caeasar, and that NCR guy whose name I don't remember) I was pleasantly surprised that they were all killable. I think outside of children and Yes-Man pretty much everyone in NV is murderable. It's not a super big thing, but I got tired of trying to kill some people in FO3 during a particularly violent run only to be foiled by them getting right back up Right up until I gave up when I learned that Harkness, along with I think a couple of the merchants in Rivet City, is essential for some ungodly reason. I don't even know why, I don't think he's part of any of the main quest line at all.

You can kill Yes Man too but well he's a robot and he just takes over another body, Victor does the same until you get to Vegas I think. But yeah after New Vegas playing like Fallout 3 and Skyrim and not being able to kill random people is just annoying as hell.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For me, the reason I constantly side with House is precisely because he’s an immortal dictator with a vision. I actually like the NCR’s ideals more, but the problem is that, like the actual USA, it’s actually run by a bunch of rich dudes not far removed from House anyway. Worse yet, it’s been shown that they’re way too shortsighted to be trustworthy (see sending Rangers to guard their ranches, using the war as a political tool). Furthermore, with everyone pulling every which way, who knows how long the ‘good’ endings of NV last- for every George Washington, we’ll have a George Dubya.

However, House is immortal (or so long-lived he might as well be), and if there’s one safe bet you can ever make, it’s that if anyone is willing to take the long view, it’s him. He’s only been awake for 5-10 years, and already made New Vegas a force to be reckoned with, while the NCR’s been around for a century or so IIRC and can barely find the political will to defeat a bunch of primitive cosplayers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

That and when I sided with House, I was running on the idea that my courier was going to get in close with House and make sure the stuff he was too far up in the tower to notice got handled in a non-awful way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
H&H Tools has some of the funniest text in the game. Anthony House you were one crazy crazy man. And stop letting all your employees gently caress each other.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Byzantine posted:

He doesn't. He shoots people trying to break through his gate.

how is that not the same thing

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Seashell Salesman posted:

If you get to Vegas and didn't already track down who stole the chip, House just tells you it was Benny and sends you over there. I don't think he keeps you alive to figure out who stole the chip, but I think he probably did do it on the chance that you would return to him and he could send you off to get it back.
House knew right away that Benny stole it, he keeps you alive because he can't do anything about Benny without endangering the chip. You're someone with a plausible reason for wanting revenge, which gives you the perfect motive to waltz into the Tops, murder Benny with a chainsaw, and go through his pockets afterwards.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

There are some pretty consistent, blatantly obvious rules for where House does and does not want you to go. So long as you play by those rules you're perfectly safe. It's a lovely world though so somebody rushing the gate might be a crazy covered in bombs. Somebody trying to convince the robots to let them in isn't really causing any problems. As long as you aren't literally attacking the robots and listen when they say "OK buddy, that's close enough." I mean it isn't a mystery where the line is. Yeah shooting is too harsh a punishment but at the same time it isn't like House just randomly murders whoever he feels like. He lays out the rules of his domain and as long as you play within them he doesn't really give a poo poo what you do and let's be honest, those rules are pretty broad.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cause if you're poor and don't try to break down his door, he doesn't shoot you. And if you're rich and try to break down his gate, he does. The gate and the breaking thereof is the issue.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Byzantine posted:

Look, what it boils down to for me is House saved my life, so I won't take his. And nothing he does in the game is bad enough to change that.

Someone pointed this out to me and I tried it, if you never choose a dialogue option where you are questioning House, he never says anything to you that is in any way disparaging or rude, and pretty much speaks to you as his good buddy and co-conspirator. I got used to exhausting dialogue options in RPGs but in NV doing so can make some characters seem like they don't like you as much.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd have a short temper too if some rear end in a top hat postman kept second guessing everything I did. Also I admit that if I had saved my city from a nuclear attack shortly after discovering the secret of immortality I'd be a bit arrogant.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

2house2fly posted:

I'd have a short temper too if some rear end in a top hat postman kept second guessing everything I did. Also I admit that if I had saved my city from a nuclear attack shortly after discovering the secret of immortality I'd be a bit arrogant.

House is cocky because he thinks he's exceptionally brilliant because of how much insane poo poo he's pulled off over the years, up to and including still being loving alive. If you look at his stats he has a 10 Luck. He isn't dumb but it's mostly just raw dumb luck carrying him through his ridiculously long life. He believes he's brilliant but if you look at his entire history a lot of it is "I was in the right place at the right time."

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

House is cocky because he thinks he's exceptionally brilliant because of how much insane poo poo he's pulled off over the years, up to and including still being loving alive. If you look at his stats he has a 10 Luck. He isn't dumb but it's mostly just raw dumb luck carrying him through his ridiculously long life. He believes he's brilliant but if you look at his entire history a lot of it is "I was in the right place at the right time."

That made me go look up his stats in the wiki. Amusingly he also has a Charisma of 1. More related, he does have a perception of 10 with an Intelligence of only 5. Makes sense; he's always made out as more of an observant person than a super intelligent scientist or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What perks should I take to make shotguns not suck? Shotgun Surgeon is an obvious choice, but how about that knockback effect perk?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
And Stay Back is amazing against wild animals like deathclaws so its always worth taking. Of course this requires you to be willing to carry a shotgun around but if you are it's totally worth it. In large open areas shotguns not that great but in caves and vaults which is filled with melee enemies it's a god send.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Arcsquad12 posted:

What perks should I take to make shotguns not suck? Shotgun Surgeon is an obvious choice, but how about that knockback effect perk?

Rapid Reload with 10 Agility means you can load up a full tube or stuff a chamber in no time. I know a case can be made for more effective level 2 perks depending on playstyle, but Rapid Reload on my shotgun-only run made a noticeable difference. And Stay Back, as already mentioned, is the other mandatory perk besides Shotgun Surgeon and it triggers surprisingly often. After those, I'd probably want Hand Loader for the added versatility - between buckshot, slugs, pulse rounds, incendiary ammo you have all the means to handle various types of enemies.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Garrand posted:

That made me go look up his stats in the wiki. Amusingly he also has a Charisma of 1. More related, he does have a perception of 10 with an Intelligence of only 5. Makes sense; he's always made out as more of an observant person than a super intelligent scientist or something.

Yeah that's why I think people think he's more evil than he actually is. He has the personality of a sledgehammer and is about as subtle but he's not like, you know, actively malicious.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Byzantine posted:

Cause if you're poor and don't try to break down his door, he doesn't shoot you. And if you're rich and try to break down his gate, he does. The gate and the breaking thereof is the issue.

Also, people tend to get shot if they try to rush over national borders in real life. Go sprinting through a border crossing checkpoint and see how far it gets you.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
During my Legion run I told him (House) who sent me to kill him and he replied with "The future of mankind.... slavery?!" which actually won me over for my next play through.

I also really like having my own self-interest as a motive since that would make a lot of sense in the world.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I've never actually gotten to the point where the NCR tells you to kill him without having already done so, I know he says "Your vanity project, doomed to fail" if you tell him that Yes Man needs him dead, but what does he say when you tell him it was the NCR which did him in?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Garrand posted:

It also explains why part of his perfect defense failed, he was off on his prediction because he didn't take intense training.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I've never actually gotten to the point where the NCR tells you to kill him without having already done so, I know he says "Your vanity project, doomed to fail" if you tell him that Yes Man needs him dead, but what does he say when you tell him it was the NCR which did him in?
"Those snakes? ...for them? ...you sad, misguided... whore."

If you say you just don't like him he says you're a fool for letting your personal feelings derail the future of humanity, and if you say it's just business he says if personal gain was what you wanted you'd have been better off with him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Garrand posted:

That really fits with his personality. He's lucky as poo poo and very good at spotting patterns, which lets him make wild predictions as to how the future will go and have a good chance of being right. But his actual intelligence is no higher than average and he's so far divorced from humanity that he seems to barely even acknowledge human lives as anything inherently worthwhile. His empathy is completely down the tubes.

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.
I just have a hard time believing he's of average intelligence if he designed all of these defense systems and ran all of the necessary calculations as we are meant to believe. I think the Perception thing is probably just meant to convey how he is primarily electronic/robotic now (with surveillance everywhere), much like how ED-E's sensors give you 10 Perception.

The Charisma thing is beyond me. Maybe because he's smart enough to know that Charisma is a dump stat in this game. :haw:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
The fact that he appears as a static image on a computer screen might have something to do with that

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There are some pretty consistent, blatantly obvious rules for where House does and does not want you to go. So long as you play by those rules you're perfectly safe. It's a lovely world though so somebody rushing the gate might be a crazy covered in bombs. Somebody trying to convince the robots to let them in isn't really causing any problems. As long as you aren't literally attacking the robots and listen when they say "OK buddy, that's close enough." I mean it isn't a mystery where the line is. Yeah shooting is too harsh a punishment but at the same time it isn't like House just randomly murders whoever he feels like. He lays out the rules of his domain and as long as you play within them he doesn't really give a poo poo what you do and let's be honest, those rules are pretty broad.

He summarily executes people for what amounts to invading his robots' personal space

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Byzantine posted:

Also asinine. Why would a rich person ever try to "break down" his gate? Entry is free, as long as you're rich.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The stats aren't exactly meant to reflect their abilities in the narrative, either. Caesar has 4 Charisma and Intelligence, for example.

Also asinine. Why would a rich person ever try to "break down" his gate? Entry is free, as long as you're rich.

If you're rich and run past the robots, they kill you.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Byzantine posted:

If you're rich and run past the robots, they kill you.

why would you do that

once you're inside any attempt at hurting anyone (without House's express permission, because, again, he's cool with extra-judicially killing pretty much whomever for pretty much whatever) is met with overwhelming force from the robots patrolling the streets. the one and only purpose served by the gate checkpoints is keeping out poor people. weapons, drugs, explosives, literally nothing you have on you matters as long as you have money.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Use buckshot against anything with low/no armor and slugs against anything with heavy armor.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

He summarily executes people for what amounts to invading his robots' personal space

If you ran through a checkpoint to get into a military base in Kabul do you think the guards there would shoot you for 'invading their personal space'? Just wondering.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

House only having a 5 in Intelligence strikes me as a bit odd, as Lanius has an Intelligence of 6 and Caesar's 4.

I think the SPECIAL allocation isn't really anything more than an easter egg with his 10 Luck and we shouldn't really cite that as anything concrete. House did get really lucky, but he's also obviously more than just of average intelligence.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Since you can't really access those stats any normal way I'd say they're not really indicative of much, no.

On the other hand you could say he simply uses money to get others do the thinking for him and since he's hooked up to a computer it can do all the calculations while he takes the credit.

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 14, 2015

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
The game does make a statement on what's the SPECIAL essence of certain characters:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Meat_of_Champions

quote:

The essence of champions flows through your veins. When you cannibalize corpses you temporarily gain Caesar's intelligence, Mr. House's luck, The King's charisma, and President Kimball's strength.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mr. House is just the greatest gambler Vegas ever produced. Its why he runs the joint.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
If he's so lucky why'd he get killed by a drunken bum with a shotgun??

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

why would you do that

once you're inside any attempt at hurting anyone (without House's express permission, because, again, he's cool with extra-judicially killing pretty much whomever for pretty much whatever) is met with overwhelming force from the robots patrolling the streets. the one and only purpose served by the gate checkpoints is keeping out poor people. weapons, drugs, explosives, literally nothing you have on you matters as long as you have money.

byzantine is a libertarian nutjob. there's literally no point in arguing with him. he's just going to defelct and ignore your actual point.

edit: oh wait youre the unironic legion defender. nevermind, please argue to your heart's content. :D

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 14, 2015

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Connoisseur posted:

The game does make a statement on what's the SPECIAL essence of certain characters:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Meat_of_Champions

The irony being that only one of these four has their respective stat above mediocre. Champions my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Wolfsheim posted:

If you ran through a checkpoint to get into a military base in Kabul do you think the guards there would shoot you for 'invading their personal space'? Just wondering.

The fact that New Vegas is being compared to a military compound doesn't bode well for House.

I don't buy the whole idea that House is someone always five steps ahead of everyone else and has an incredible precognitive abilities. One thing I notice is often absent from these debates is New Vegas itself, not just Freeside but the casinos and the three families. I think this is where House's ideas of letting anyone basically do what they want so long as they have pay him their cut and don't rock the boat really start unraveling. To start he seem unaware and uninterested that the White Gloves are still doing the whole eating people thing, despite the potentially catastrophic effects this will have on the Strip, either to its tourism or because, in this case, Heck Gunderson will crush a whole lot of New Vegas' food supply if the courier doesn't talk him down. I find it strange that House would allow this situation to fester, it can even lead to a Legion alliance.

Then there's the Omertas, who are bunch of violent, sexual slaving scumbags who House has deigned worthy of elevation to being some of the most powerful people in vegas because... they remind him of the mob? Putting aside that they've been able to smuggle in weapons and muscle right into the heart of the strip with the intention of overthrowing House with Caesar's support, and House's only recourse within the system he's created seems to be to trust the courier to be able to deal with it, if he can't they cause a hell of a mess.

Of course that leaves the Chairmen who are the most docile of the three, except of course for Benny who causes House a hell of headache when he fails to understand what he really wanted.

Finally of course putting so much stock in the Courier puts him right in line for a good old fashioned backstabbin'(again).

House works best when he's shooting down missiles, being a ruthless businessman and designing robots, but with anything to do with actual people he seems to be far more naive than he should be and makes too many dangerous assumptions. His kind of laissez-faire setup in Vegas seems to allow people who really should be kowtowing to him to be doing very dangerous things barely under his nose, not to mention the clear class problems that's been noted before. This why I'm leery that his independent city-state could really work out, though maybe his robot army would smooth things out in the end.