Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Question, how many Boeing models were the direct result of PanAm?

377,747, 707? any others?

also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v92U2F9gbUo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The PC-12 looks like a Super King Air someone kitbashed because they lost one of the engines.

If I were in the market for a smallish turboprop that would be the one I'd get. More power than a king air 90, better performance, bigger cabin and that glorious cargo door. Plus it isn't built by a company that hasn't shown any real innovation in the past 25 years. (The jet biz doesn't count!)

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
If I fly into Dulles one morning to spend a day at Udvar-Hazy (then the following day or two in DC), what are the luggage storage options? I'll have at least one big checked bag that won't fit a carry-on locker.

Would I need to go to a Hotel and come back? Are there big lockers at Dulles? Hotel near Dulles first night (so I can drop bags) then transfer to a hotel in town following nights?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Dulles doesn't have storage lockers, I don't think. No Washington DC airport does, and they haven't for, ohhhhh, 13 years and a few months or so. Udvar-Hazy does have storage lockers. See stow your baggage, but the sizes might not work for a big suitcase.

there are some hotels onsite at Dulles which (in 2012 at least) run shuttles to the museum, or there's a bus line you can take from the terminal -> museum. 983 I think. Of course if you've got a huge bag and you're going into DC proper later ... renting a car? Toss it in the trunk.

There's a security search at the entrance of Udvar-Hazy so I'd go as light as you can however you end up doing it.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 14, 2015

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Cheers.

Also, I'm planing a trip out to Wright-Patterson. Looking at 3-4 day road-trip doing NY -> Dayton -> Durham NC. As road trips go: Good idea or bad idea? Anything cool/nice to see along the way? Preferred routes? The alternative would be to fly to OH somewhere, hire a car there and just do the second leg.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

VOR LOC posted:

If I were in the market for a smallish turboprop that would be the one I'd get. More power than a king air 90, better performance, bigger cabin and that glorious cargo door. Plus it isn't built by a company that hasn't shown any real innovation in the past 25 years. (The jet biz doesn't count!)

I don't know, if you sat in an early B200 versus a brand new 200GT, you'd never think they're the same basic airplane. With a modern cabin, current glass cockpit and vastly improved engines, it almost is a totally new airplane. It's a testament to just how right Beechcraft got the King Air design that it is competitive to this day with just changes to the aircraft systems.

Having said that, and having flown both the King Air and the PC-12, I preferred the PC-12 for a number of reasons. Landing the PC-12 was a breeze, what with its lower approach speed and floaty, trailing arm main landing gear. The cabin is a lot quieter in the PC-12 too and that cargo door is so awesome. That said, the PC-12 is a fair bit slower than all the King Airs save the 90 (which is seriously loving slow) and I found the control forces, especially for the ailerons, to be inordinately heavy (supposedly the PC-12NG has remedied this). Dollar for dollar though, there is no better aircraft out there in its class (and many other classes for that matter) than the PC-12.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Postal posted:

Cheers.

Also, I'm planing a trip out to Wright-Patterson. Looking at 3-4 day road-trip doing NY -> Dayton -> Durham NC. As road trips go: Good idea or bad idea? Anything cool/nice to see along the way? Preferred routes? The alternative would be to fly to OH somewhere, hire a car there and just do the second leg.

That's like 19 hours of driving (assuming NYC -> Dayton -> Raleigh) that's a shitload of a road trip for 3-4 days.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Captain Postal posted:

Cheers.

Like Plinkey said, that's a bit of a drive. If you do NYC -> Dayton, you'll be going along I-80 across Pennsylvania, where there isn't really a whole lot to see; then switch to I-76 in Youngstown, where you don't want to stop at after dark, or even during the day some times; through Akron, which maybe you could swing by the Goodyear blimp hanger and take a few shots; then really not much else that is along the route; I-76 to I-71, I-71 to Columbus, then pick up I-70 to Dayton. If you go off a bit, there is Amish country around in both states; though I'm only really familiar with the Amish country in OH. There's an air museum at CAK, but I haven't been to it, I've heard it's relatively small, but I also heard they have a few restoration projects going on that might be interesting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Once upon a time I looked into flying in and out of Dayton (or even nearby airports) to go to Wright-Pat. $1000 roundtrip. I declined. Maybe if I can score a good fare to Cincinnati and rent a car, but when I was looking it was poo poo all the way down. One day, one day...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

Once upon a time I looked into flying in and out of Dayton (or even nearby airports) to go to Wright-Pat. $1000 roundtrip. I declined. Maybe if I can score a good fare to Cincinnati and rent a car, but when I was looking it was poo poo all the way down. One day, one day...

I didn't really realize how cool it was to be a few-hours drive from Dayton back when I went every other year or so, and now I know a lot more about airplanes and history and poo poo in general, but I live at least a dozen hours away :smith:

Do you have a co-driver? I've driven nonstop from Indianapolis to Chicago to the tip of Cape Cod, then came back from Maine to Chicago to Indy, but it was also when I was a really dumb college student who didn't give a poo poo about things like "traveling safely" and I had a good navigator that didn't really drive ever, but was actively engaged in the trip and helped me survive.

Places I still need to hit: Pensacola (this summer, probably), Oshkosh, every damned museum in the DC area ever. Beyond leaving the country, I've hit a lot of the cool stuff CONUS for aviation:

Dayton
Nellis petting zoo
Pima/Boneyard
Kalamazoo (hey, a blackbird!)
Henry Ford Museum
Chicago museums
White Sands Missile Range
A ton of smaller warbirds/whatever museums

I guess I haven't bothered with a lot of civil aviation museums, but stuff that goes boom is way more interesting.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

MrChips posted:

I don't know, if you sat in an early B200 versus a brand new 200GT, you'd never think they're the same basic airplane. With a modern cabin, current glass cockpit and vastly improved engines, it almost is a totally new airplane. It's a testament to just how right Beechcraft got the King Air design that it is competitive to this day with just changes to the aircraft systems.

Having said that, and having flown both the King Air and the PC-12, I preferred the PC-12 for a number of reasons. Landing the PC-12 was a breeze, what with its lower approach speed and floaty, trailing arm main landing gear. The cabin is a lot quieter in the PC-12 too and that cargo door is so awesome. That said, the PC-12 is a fair bit slower than all the King Airs save the 90 (which is seriously loving slow) and I found the control forces, especially for the ailerons, to be inordinately heavy (supposedly the PC-12NG has remedied this). Dollar for dollar though, there is no better aircraft out there in its class (and many other classes for that matter) than the PC-12.

I think my main beef, and this goes with pretty much all "light" aircraft, is that all you really ever see is an endless cycle of interior/avionics upgrades to airframes that have been around since my parents were toddlers. How you can have super advanced electronics inside an aircraft still flying a wing and engines built with slide rules just blows be away for some reason. While the PC-12 airframe isn't new by any stretch it still gives you a glimpse what is possible in that area of aviation if manufacturers would spend some lots and lots and lots of money and take advantage of all of the progress in computers and aerodynamics and everything else thats happened in the last 50 years.

This is why I laugh and laugh at each new issue of Flying or AOPA magazine or whatever. Endless oohing and ahhhing over some new FMS put in a 182 or winglets on a Cirrus.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

VOR LOC posted:

I think my main beef, and this goes with pretty much all "light" aircraft, is that all you really ever see is an endless cycle of interior/avionics upgrades to airframes that have been around since my parents were toddlers. How you can have super advanced electronics inside an aircraft still flying a wing and engines built with slide rules just blows be away for some reason. While the PC-12 airframe isn't new by any stretch it still gives you a glimpse what is possible in that area of aviation if manufacturers would spend some lots and lots and lots of money and take advantage of all of the progress in computers and aerodynamics and everything else thats happened in the last 50 years.

This is why I laugh and laugh at each new issue of Flying or AOPA magazine or whatever. Endless oohing and ahhhing over some new FMS put in a 182 or winglets on a Cirrus.

It all comes down to cost. If Beechcraft wanted to develop an all-new King Air, utilising the latest techniques and materials, it would probably cost a billion dollars. A billion dollars to build an aircraft that might be 10% better than the original King Air design fitted with modern engines and avionics. Nobody is willing to absorb that cost considering they sell in the low hundreds per year (emphasis on low). The other thing is that unlike the airlines, corporate clients are somewhat less sensitive to operating cost, and small improvements in performance don't have anywhere near the same effect in corporate aircraft. In an airline, you live and die by single percentage points, but what does a single percentage point get you in a King Air? Half a gallon of fuel per flying hour, three additional miles per hour or 40ish pounds of useful load.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VOR LOC posted:

When you put it that way, you make it sound like airframe parachutes are the biggest development in decades.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Captain Postal posted:

Cheers.

Trust me, fly. I've done NYC > Cleveland and Philadelphia > Akron several times, I can't imagine piling a trip to Dayton onto that on the same day and then going to NC the next day or day after that. NYC > Cleveland is a soul-sucking trip. Pennsylvania is too loving wide and once you're out of the cities there are stretches of I-80 where you need to be conscious of how much gas you have and how far it is to the next exit with a gas station. Also lots of two lanes with one semi passing another at 1/2 MPH faster.

I'd fly into Columbus, Dayton or Cincinnati and rent a car there.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Do you have a co-driver?

yes, but unlike the crazy roadtrip poster who's only doing something moderately insane at 600-odd miles from NYC to Dayton, I would have to (co-)drive over 2300 miles to get to Dayton, which is fully insane.

I'll fly in when I have time and fares aren't poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

yes, but unlike the crazy roadtrip poster who's only doing something moderately insane at 600-odd miles from NYC to Dayton, I would have to (co-)drive over 2300 miles to get to Dayton, which is fully insane.

I'll fly in when I have time and fares aren't poo poo.

Ah, I confused you with the poster coining in from NYC. Even my really dumb solo-driving trips of my youth topped out at 12-1300 miles.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Geoj posted:

Trust me, fly. I've done NYC > Cleveland and Philadelphia > Akron several times, I can't imagine piling a trip to Dayton onto that on the same day and then going to NC the next day or day after that. NYC > Cleveland is a soul-sucking trip. Pennsylvania is too loving wide and once you're out of the cities there are stretches of I-80 where you need to be conscious of how much gas you have and how far it is to the next exit with a gas station. Also lots of two lanes with one semi passing another at 1/2 MPH faster.

I'd fly into Columbus, Dayton or Cincinnati and rent a car there.

I've gotta drive from Columbus to Philly next weekend- I'd be flying if I had any spare budget to do it with. Pennsylvania is loving brutal to drive through.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Luneshot posted:

Pennsylvania is loving brutal to drive through.

A poster who has never lived in the southwestern deserts. Althought at least in West Texas and Arizona and New Mexico, you don't have to worry about rear end in a top hat rural cops and state troopers trying to ruin your day every 20 miles.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

A poster who has never lived in the southwestern deserts. Althought at least in West Texas and Arizona and New Mexico, you don't have to worry about rear end in a top hat rural cops and state troopers trying to ruin your day every 20 miles.

Point taken :v: I've never been west of Texas but even from pictures I can tell that it's way worse. That's one road trip I would not want to take.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Southwestern Nevada between Tahoe and Vegas is the worst I've ever been through. The government decided that the most beneficial way to use this land was to nuke it a bunch.

In five hours of driving the only sign of civilization we saw was a brothel.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Luneshot posted:

Point taken :v: I've never been west of Texas but even from pictures I can tell that it's way worse. That's one road trip I would not want to take.

Once you start to think of a 250 mile trip as "normal" to get to even a smallish place, it kind of owns. Gorgeous views, driving at a really good clip, listening to podcasts while keeping an eye out for Pronghorn and Oryx and Cattle, blowing past cops at 15 over without them giving a poo poo is good stuff.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Glorgnole posted:

Southwestern Nevada between Tahoe and Vegas is the worst I've ever been through. The government decided that the most beneficial way to use this land was to nuke it a bunch.

In five hours of driving the only sign of civilization we saw was a brothel.

I drove from Reno to Cedar City, UT via Tonopah this past fall, and while there was ton of nothing I loving loved it. Didn't see any brothels, but I knew they were there especially closer to Reno.

Also knew I was skirting Area 51 so kept a close eye out :tinfoil:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

mlmp08 posted:

I've driven from San Antonio to Seattle before with my brother. We took turns, but once we got an hour out of SA, it was just endless stretches of desert, boredom, and wind turbines. We went straight west along I10 until we hit California. Pennsylvania ain't poo poo compared to that.

I flew the next time I visited him :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EightBit posted:

I've driven from San Antonio to Seattle before with my brother. We took turns, but once we got an hour out of SA, it was just endless stretches of desert, boredom, and wind turbines. We went straight west along I10 until we hit California. Pennsylvania ain't poo poo compared to that.

I flew the next time I visited him :v:

The worst part about driving across Pennsylvania is you really have to use the PA Turnpike, and you're pretty much loving yourself if you ever get off of it, which means you have to make do with whatever the next rest stop offers in the way of leg-stretching and food.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The worst part about driving across Pennsylvania is you really have to use the PA Turnpike, and you're pretty much loving yourself if you ever get off of it, which means you have to make do with whatever the next rest stop offers in the way of leg-stretching and food.

After multiple trips back and forth to Edison, NJ and Philadelphia from NE Ohio I came to the conclusion that I'd rather take I-80 than the PA turnpike. Definitely not worth the $20+ it costs to go end to end.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Jonny Nox posted:

This one too.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

YF19pilot posted:

Like Plinkey said, that's a bit of a drive. If you do NYC -> Dayton, you'll be going along I-80 across Pennsylvania, where there isn't really a whole lot to see; then switch to I-76 in Youngstown, where you don't want to stop at after dark, or even during the day some times; through Akron, which maybe you could swing by the Goodyear blimp hanger and take a few shots; then really not much else that is along the route; I-76 to I-71, I-71 to Columbus, then pick up I-70 to Dayton. If you go off a bit, there is Amish country around in both states; though I'm only really familiar with the Amish country in OH. There's an air museum at CAK, but I haven't been to it, I've heard it's relatively small, but I also heard they have a few restoration projects going on that might be interesting.

You can sit in a mig 17 and work the controls at the museum at CAK, it's pretty neat even if it is small.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jonny Nox posted:

also:

Boeing 307 Stratoliner

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

I drove from Reno to Cedar City, UT via Tonopah this past fall, and while there was ton of nothing I loving loved it. Didn't see any brothels, but I knew they were there especially closer to Reno.

Also knew I was skirting Area 51 so kept a close eye out :tinfoil:

I used to drive Palmdale to Vegas/Tonopah. It was a really relaxing and scenic drive to Tonopah, the drive to Vegas was boring as poo poo. Although look out for loving cattle in the road. A coworker hit one at night going like 45 by the time he jammed his brakes. Totaled his F250 killed the cow.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Flikken posted:

You can sit in a mig 17 and work the controls at the museum at CAK, it's pretty neat even if it is small.

I'm going to have to go check that out, I live 15 minutes away from there. Do they have anything else noteworthy?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The 747 looked sexy in its first iteration, because the cockpit was set back.

Also radar being in the nose has messed jets up. Look at the Boeing 377 with its pointy nose going on, no bump.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

simplefish posted:

The 747 looked sexy in its first iteration, because the cockpit was set back.

Also radar being in the nose has messed jets up. Look at the Boeing 377 with its pointy nose going on, no bump.

Are we looking at the same 377?

Compare:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Thanks for all the road-tripping advice. Amish country could be interesting for novelty value, but it doesn't sound like the drive through PA is worth the effort overall. I'm :australia: so a 19hr over 3 days drive means nothing to me, but I'm traveling with some Europeans.

Maybe I can meet see while driving past some hillfolk and get a bottle of moonshine if I just do the second leg through the Smokies to NC.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Geoj posted:

I'm going to have to go check that out, I live 15 minutes away from there. Do they have anything else noteworthy?

There is a nice F-14, part of a goodyear blimp gondola, an AA gun station that you can work the hand crank and pedals on. There was a bunch of poo poo in there, it wasn't particularly special but since I live just across the highway from it I finally visited it. There is a cut up B-25 there too I think.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jonny Nox posted:

also:

Watchin' this:

• I'm already imagining Zapp Branigan as the narrator
  • 1:52 - is the past trying to gently caress with us? Ground attendants in ties and milkman-style hats?
  • 3:12 - that poor guy hauling away that big staircase by hand
  • 3:35 - To avoid cock, they've renamed the cockpit the "Pilot's Parlor"
  • 4:25 - the swelling of the music when those Wasp Majors start seems very appropriate
  • 5:15 - "Gives the Stratoliner permission to move; takes a drag on a cigarette"
  • 5:20 - "On the runway, she turns her huge body into the wind, and begins to stretch her muscles." - definitely Zapp
  • 6:15 - we get a shot of the Stratoliner rolling down the runway, and you can see quite a bit of cruff sticking off of the fuselage that isn't on more modern planes.
  • 6:40 - exhaust note on takeoff is admittedly really sexy
  • 7:10 - More Zappery - "She really begins to feel her strength now, mastering the wind with her immense boobs wings..."
  • 8:00 - It launches into a brief history of Pan Am's long distance airline routes. Flying boats aplenty
  • 10:00 - history of the Stratoliner - Boeing engineers smoke pipes
  • 11:27 - Slide rule! Everybody drinks!
  • Actually this whole section is filled with manual engineering tools that I imagine are no longer common
  • 12:25 - the WIND Tunnel
  • 13:55 - Illuminati propaganda on vapor trails has a long history apparently
  • 14:55 - Testing an airliner must have been hard when all your instruments are analogue
  • 15:07 - Airliner to "dominate" the sky
  • 16:37 - The view from the nose of a Stratoliner was pretty awesome
  • 17:00 - Explaining 'Pressurization' for dummies - "it's like totally warm and comfortable and people are bumming cigarettes off of each other"
  • 19:00 - This is interesting - people are playing cards on tables set up between sets of airliner seats.
  • 19:25 - OK we're really back in time - a finely dressed chef is in a full-service kitchen preparing meals
  • "At dinner time a 7 (?!) course meal is served from the ship's galley"
  • 20:11 - look at dat airline food
  • 20:25 - The Stratoliner has curtains like your parent's living room
  • 20:50 - the famous downstairs
  • I know there's a bartender down there but with all the other people crowded down there it's not much of a break
  • 21:30 - haha ok I didn't realize this: most of the Stratoliner's seats convert into berths like on a train
  • also somewhere there is a "dressing room" for passengers
  • "whether your are in a reclining chair, a "sleeperette" (not shown) or a bearth, you will sleep like you were in your own bed."
  • 22:30 - footage of a request for night coffee from the galley. Are you not envious pilots
  • 23:00 - "While you sleep, your stewardess checks your international paperwork"
  • 23:30 - Footage of somebody on an airliner actually making a star observation?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stellar navigation is all you had before GPS over open water.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Stellar navigation is all you had before GPS over open water.

Stellar navigation really isn't all that hard either, actually. If anyone's interested, I happen to own a (mostly complete but functional) Mark IXA bubble sextant, and I know how to use it; next time I'm home on a clear evening, I will take some measurements and write up an effortpost on how the sextant works and how to determine your position with it.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MrChips posted:

Stellar navigation really isn't all that hard either, actually. If anyone's interested, I happen to own a (mostly complete but functional) Mark IXA bubble sextant, and I know how to use it; next time I'm home on a clear evening, I will take some measurements and write up an effortpost on how the sextant works and how to determine your position with it.

Omg yeah, please. My dad was a navigator in the AF, back in the day and as a kid, I used to try to figure out how to use his bubble sextant, to no avail.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Flikken posted:

There is a nice F-14, part of a goodyear blimp gondola, an AA gun station that you can work the hand crank and pedals on. There was a bunch of poo poo in there, it wasn't particularly special but since I live just across the highway from it I finally visited it. There is a cut up B-25 there too I think.

I've always been meaning to go (no excuse not to when I was living that close). Maybe when I come back stateside I'll make sure to stop in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Stellar navigation is all you had before GPS LORAN over open water.

and inertial navigation.