Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I'm glad ford has decided to completely deface the history of the GT40 so I can now hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The shelby daytona is the cool legacy anyway and we already defaced that with the series 1, so no worries i guess!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's a conservative design but I really like it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

God forbid a car have design cues from something before. I love it and hope they're successful, and I also hope it forces Chevy to step up and add at least one Vette into GTE-Pro full time. The Yanks need to be in the WEC.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cubey posted:

i wasn't aware that ripping off your old cars was necessary for your new one to perform well. thanks for letting me know~

also my point is less about this car in particular and more about american car design in general over the last 10+ years.

the only design cues they took off the old cars is the front radiator vents and shape of the nose, if you look at literally any other angle of that car and say "looks like a GT40 to me" you're mentally ill

and guess what, those grilles are shaped like that for a reason!

it's like looking at a NACA duct and saying "what a derivative design".....well, yeah of course it is!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

The Yanks need to be in the WEC.

Rumors are a 2 car run in IMSA, only running LeMans with the WEC. Which is honestly probably the right call for both marketing and competition.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Idg why people are complaining about the new gt. It's not like Porsche or Aston do the same thing. It's like complaining that the new viper has a long bonnet with the engine in the front.

Can't wait to see the gtlm version.

I've been off sick and I've just found out that motors tv is available on uk freeview which is nice. Currently watching the dubai 24 highlights.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 13, 2015

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

53 cars with 16 protos for the 24 this year. There were 67 last year, with the vast majority of the shed cars being GTD. Silver lining is that 67 cars was probably too many for the track.

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/files/races/entry_lists/2015%20TUDOR%20Championship%20ROLEX%20Pre-Event%20Entry%20List_1.pdf

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
every year it disappoints me that there aren't Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros in endurance racing

what the gently caress big 3

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

every year it disappoints me that there aren't Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros in endurance racing

Reiter (same dudes that do the Gallardo GT3) make a Camaro GT3 that's used somewhat regularly in Europe. Looks badass as well:

George Zimmer fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 15, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that's evil as poo poo

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

53 cars with 16 protos for the 24 this year. There were 67 last year, with the vast majority of the shed cars being GTD. Silver lining is that 67 cars was probably too many for the track.

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/files/races/entry_lists/2015%20TUDOR%20Championship%20ROLEX%20Pre-Event%20Entry%20List_1.pdf

Yeah with how much of a clusterfuck the endurance races were last year, I don't mind a smaller field.

George Zimmer posted:

Reiter (same dudes that do the Gallardo GT3) make a Camaro GT3 that's used somewhat regularly in Europe. Looks badass as well:

Well they were going to use it in Blancpain then something happened a week before the season started and then didn't use it at all.

VikingSkull posted:

Well bitch at GM for doing a Caddie GT3 car, Ford for not doing anything, and Dodge not doing anything. Technically there is one or two Mustang GT3 cars and that Reiter Camaro but Dodge has done gently caress all except Viper for GT3.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

That PWC Cadillac is one of the most beautiful cars in auto racing.

loving love that thing. Sounds amazing.

Also you get free shirts from them.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

That PWC Cadillac is one of the most beautiful cars in auto racing.

loving love that thing. Sounds amazing.

Also you get free shirts from them.

The GT3 Cadillac is as menacing as that Reiter Camaro.

First year Pratt and Miller are only racing it and after that maybe a privateer to run it as well in PWC. Callaway was given the ok to make a C7 GT3 car but couldn't race it or sell it in the states.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dodge has the Viper too, which may start actually making inroads to privateers and outside PWC too.

Works GT3 teams from Dodge, GM and Ford in PWC would be the 2015 equivalent of Trans-Am, and I support that fully. Yes I know a Trans-Am series exists, but it's been bullshit for more than 10 years.

Janky The Clown
Jan 13, 2015
We may see theViper at Le Mans this year. Riley actually ran the Viper program for Crystler, so it will be privItaly backed but essentially a factory team.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

John Force is going to Chevy. Hooray!

I hope this means Traxxas will update the Funny Car kits soon and offer a camaro body. I race r/c funny cars and it sucks being limited to the current ford shell.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 15, 2015

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
This is the car my buddy drove in One Lap of America last year (yes, I know it's a different kind of endurance racing)

he got crushed by another buddy that co-drove this thing.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That's..... certainly a wing.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

Cars - Prolly my fav event of the year, but a reminder that the Minis are absolutely evil shitlords who ruined last years race and XRaid should die, so you should be rooting against them at every possible moment even though there is a hundred of them. No seriously, I think they are bringing like 11 of the loving things. Nani Roma is back in one, along with horrible human Nasser Al-Attiyah, but most of their good drivers have fled because... as noted... they are evil shitlords.

Apparently noted shitlord Al-Attiyah won Dakar. At least Robby won the stage today.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah. :( At least the Toyotas and Robby were fast though, but nobody was really able to push al attiyah. I did like (teammate) Roma's multiple rants about how al attiyah is terrible though.

Also even though Coma won in bikes, it was cool to see that the Honda guys were actually faster in outright pace the whole rally. And Toby Price owns.

There are good 30min Eurosports wrap ups for everyday on that certain site, I definitely recommend a watch.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What the hell kind of contract does Bob Varsha have that's cost him all these opportunities on other networks? Supposedly Leigh Diffey got the F1 on NBC deal because of Varsha's contract at FOX, now much of the Barrett-Jackson cast from Speed/FOX (including Mike Joy) is on Velocity except for Varsha.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Speaking of Barrett-Jackson, today has been wild so far. Two L88 Vettes with race history (one of which was James Garner's) did not reach the reserve despite having bids of $1.3 million each, Bill France Sr.'s NASCAR/SCODA '54 Vette no saled @ like $2 million (first ever racing Vette) , and one of the three Granatelli/STP '68 Indy Turbine cars didn't go after a $900,000 bid. Arie Luyendyk drove that one across the block, too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

What the hell kind of contract does Bob Varsha have that's cost him all these opportunities on other networks? Supposedly Leigh Diffey got the F1 on NBC deal because of Varsha's contract at FOX, now much of the Barrett-Jackson cast from Speed/FOX (including Mike Joy) is on Velocity except for Varsha.

It's fox, so it's probably a lovely contract that locks him into complete exclusivity, which is a pain because he is a really good announcer.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If memory serves it was a two-year deal that covered the last year of Speed and then last year, but not sure what he's doing now. Hoping he's got a deal with NBC this year finally.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

harperdc posted:

If memory serves it was a two-year deal that covered the last year of Speed and then last year, but not sure what he's doing now. Hoping he's got a deal with NBC this year finally.

100% doubt that since he's named as commentator with Fox for this year.
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/fox-sports-names-broadcast-talent-for-rolex-24/

Honestly why after year try to chase Leigh Diffey out of the commentating role. Also what role can Varsha have at NBC while leaving Fox with a gaping hole. Favorable spot is at Fox.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

100% doubt that since he's named as commentator with Fox for this year.
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/fox-sports-names-broadcast-talent-for-rolex-24/

Honestly why after year try to chase Leigh Diffey out of the commentating role. Also what role can Varsha have at NBC while leaving Fox with a gaping hole. Favorable spot is at Fox.

Ugh, its a hard call, do I want to watch rolex 24 with Bob Varsha, or watch the Fox Sports stream with RLM over the top? John Hindaugh is a v good announcer too, the competition of good announcers is tearing me apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

New thread dudes.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695397

• Locked thread