Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

KoB posted:

You cant choose how to counter. The game will decide if it wants to counter/defend/dodge on its own. It will generally always counter with whatever weapon it wants and switches to defense too late.

I recall an option in the menu to control what your own units did on the enemy turn, more or less. I think it amounted to "always counter" or "always defend" and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So when are we supposed to be getting the second PV for Z3-2?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Verranicus posted:

So when are we supposed to be getting the second PV for Z3-2?

Bamco's page says the next update will be on February 5th, so that could be it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Playing Z2-2 again, there's a bunch of stuff that either was mentioned and I don't remember, or they never said it in the first place because it's just a plot contrivance. Most fundamentally, why did Insalaum even invade earth when they could have probably just come in asking to be refugees? It's not like earth is a stranger to people just coming and going due to dimension quakes.

edit: also holy poo poo I had forgotten how tough those Firebugs are, as far as grunts go. They just don't want to be hit and really want to hit you. And they say such hurtful things!

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 13, 2015

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Hello,

I wanted to let you know about the existence of a translation project: Super Robot Wars Advance Portable, for PSP (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=19055.msg270636#msg270636).

I am the translator of the battle quotes, and I was hoping to get some feedback. This playlist contains the videos we have released (I will add some from time to time):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT3TkbCkfO9DmYaTA3C6c5uJ5AT6B4oIE

The main dialogues translation will be an editing of Ikusagami's translation guide on GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/582124-super-robot-taisen-a/faqs/17517).

Let me know what you think.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

TheMajinZenki posted:

The main dialogues translation will be an editing of Ikusagami's translation guide on GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/582124-super-robot-taisen-a/faqs/17517).

Let me know what you think.

Skimming that translation guide, it's very literal and stilted. It's also kind of obvious English isn't the writer's first language. If I was the proofreader of it, I would say it'd be easier to retranslate than to clean this file up.

Example:

quote:

???: Ha- hahahaha! Sweet, your will is still too sweet! Domon!
Domon: What!?

Domon: Master! I'm terribly sorry! Me, Domon Kasshu, for showing you such a
terrible action!
Master: The fight with this Devil Gundam? Fuh fuh, don't mind.
Domon: Yes! Master, please watch me...! This fight, I'll...
Master: You can't win from Devil Gundam.

Hidler: WeŽll go too. They are not only with Getter. They might get in the way
of your challenge.
Tekkan: Ooh, marshall Hidler, IŽm very grateful.
Hidler: (Fufu, such a sweety guy.)

Amuro: You... I'm sorry.
Duo: No problem. We were asked by sis Noin, right? We got our deal, don't
mind.
Heero: Mission complete... Let's go.
Duo: Hey, Heero!
Amuro: Can I ask a bit? What's going on? What do you know?
Duo: Heh? What are you talking about?
Amuro: I don't think you'll move for justice. And either for deals.
Duo: ... Indeed, the Federation's White Devil. What's fearful is the
Gundam's inner... I can't tell you now. Sorry.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hokuto posted:

???: Ha- hahahaha! Sweet, your will is still too sweet! Domon!
Domon: What!?

Hahahah, thats great. Seems more like it was run through a translation program. ESL would make sense though.

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Yes, I can see that some parts don't work very well, I will help the editors as much as possible whenever they find some of the weirdest parts. We won't be using it straight from that guide, obviously.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"Heh, all you'll do is make my victory more glorious. Besides!"

Besides what, Gato

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

Besides what, Gato

Besides, I've stolen all your mechs while you were listening to my taunts!

GAAAATOOOOOOOOO!! :argh:

Oh, and the guy who wrote that is brazillian...now I'm feeling inadequate.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Something about the font being used bothers me but I can't quite pinpoint what it is. It's like it's just too fat or something.

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Endorph posted:

Besides what, Gato

I translated that battle quote as it is in the game, so it's exactly as awkward in the original Japanese. He's supposed to keep going with "Didn't I tell you before that I've nothing to say to you!?", which is actually another battle quote (both are "VS Kou" special quotes).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheMajinZenki posted:

I translated that battle quote as it is in the game, so it's exactly as awkward in the original Japanese. He's supposed to keep going with "Didn't I tell you before that I've nothing to say to you!?", which is actually another battle quote (both are "VS Kou" special quotes).
Shouldn't you fix the awkwardness, then?

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Endorph posted:

Shouldn't you fix the awkwardness, then?

That line comes straight from the episode, as opposed to some of the more generic ones. The easiest way would be to simply remove that "Besides!" from the battle text. I have gotten similar feedback about that line, so I might end up having to change it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There's a lot going on even in that sample, but the consistent use of "sweet" for what I'd bet money is 甘い is a particularly damning amateur move. Find a better translator.

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Caphi posted:

There's a lot going on even in that sample, but the consistent use of "sweet" for what I'd bet money is 甘い is a particularly damning amateur move. Find a better translator.

That's just a translation guide from GameFAQs, currently I'm the only translator. Yes, I'm guessing it's 甘い, which I would translate as "naive", or anything along those lines depending on the context

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheMajinZenki posted:

That line comes straight from the episode, as opposed to some of the more generic ones. The easiest way would be to simply remove that "Besides!" from the battle text. I have gotten similar feedback about that line, so I might end up having to change it.
The line itself is fine, but the 'besides' is awkward. As you said, it's a legitimate mistake on the original writer's part, since it's supposed to transition into another line but doesn't. What reason is there not to change it?

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Endorph posted:

The line itself is fine, but the 'besides' is awkward. As you said, it's a legitimate mistake on the original writer's part, since it's supposed to transition into another line but doesn't. What reason is there not to change it?

The only reason would be that in the episode, he says "Besides!" right before attacking Kou, but since he doesn't continue in-game with the following line, I can see how it would feel weird. Yes, I think I will change it in the next revision.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

TheMajinZenki posted:

That's just a translation guide from GameFAQs, currently I'm the only translator. Yes, I'm guessing it's 甘い, which I would translate as "naive", or anything along those lines depending on the context

I mean, if your first-line script is so out of balance that the editor needs to know Japanese to backsolve it to the original text, you really should just retranslate the whole thing, though.

And if your translation of a game that is about nothing but battle anime is so out of touch that it doesn't understand or can't tell the usage of cliche battle anime vocabulary like 甘い, I'm not sure I'd trust the rest of that translation either. Who knows what other embarrassing stuff you won't catch?

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Caphi posted:

I mean, if your first-line script is so out of balance that the editor needs to know Japanese to backsolve it to the original text, you really should just retranslate the whole thing, though.

And if your translation of a game that is about nothing but battle anime is so out of touch that it doesn't understand or can't tell the usage of cliche battle anime vocabulary like 甘い, I'm not sure I'd trust the rest of that translation either. Who knows what other embarrassing stuff you won't catch?

Hmm, I can see why you would think that. I will discuss it with the project leader, though the only thing I could possibly do is to check that translation guide mission by mission, fixing the most incomprehensible stuff, then pass it along to the editor. I am not personally qualified for editing that, since English isn't my first language (the battle quotes have already passed through a first editing).

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

TheMajinZenki posted:

Hmm, I can see why you would think that. I will discuss it with the project leader, though the only thing I could possibly do is to check that translation guide mission by mission, fixing the most incomprehensible stuff, then pass it along to the editor. I am not personally qualified for editing that, since English isn't my first language (the battle quotes have already passed through a first editing).

I absolutely wish you the best of luck on handling the translation parts. There's a lot of subjectivity that comes into things like the Gato quote mentioned above, but good luck in getting through it. :)

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Hokuto posted:

I absolutely wish you the best of luck on handling the translation parts. There's a lot of subjectivity that comes into things like the Gato quote mentioned above, but good luck in getting through it. :)

Thanks :) We really hope to finish this project, since there's so few SRW translated games around.

Let me know if you guys want to see a battle demo of a specific character. I was thinking of making extra movies outside the in-game demo reels to show off other characters.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In the interest of fairness, I also looked into some of those videos, which I understand are all your work. There are a few bits I think are suspect but the bulk of it just needs a loving but firm editor's hand. If anything can be said to be noncritical, it'd have to be combat chatter - but on the other hand, that means that tone is doubly important for those lines, so hopefully the editor knows what he's doing.

The ALL CAPS YELLING is weird though. There are some spots where it seems out of place and others where it's inconsistent.

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Caphi posted:

In the interest of fairness, I also looked into some of those videos, which I understand are all your work. There are a few bits I think are suspect but the bulk of it just needs a loving but firm editor's hand. If anything can be said to be noncritical, it'd have to be combat chatter - but on the other hand, that means that tone is doubly important for those lines, so hopefully the editor knows what he's doing.

The ALL CAPS YELLING is weird though. There are some spots where it seems out of place and others where it's inconsistent.

Yes, the battle quotes will have to go through editing at some point.

Can you give me some example of out of place or inconsistency? If I can make it right now it will save some time later, and also prevent future lines to have the same problem.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
oh god not this translation stuff again

Can someone help me clarify something? Is Full Armor ZZ also the "FAZZ" or is the FAZZ something else entirely? I always thought they were the same thing.

Obviously this is coming up from just the glimpse of the ZZ thing in the latest episode of Build.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Rascyc posted:

Can someone help me clarify something? Is Full Armor ZZ also the "FAZZ" or is the FAZZ something else entirely? I always thought they were the same thing.

Obviously this is coming up from just the glimpse of the ZZ thing in the latest episode of Build.

The FAZZ and Full Armor ZZ are different machines. http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/FA-010A_FAZZ

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

They're different.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Midjack posted:

They're different.

And the same. FAZZ is a prototype for the Full Armor ZZ.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm not a fan of any of Shiro's ALLCAPS in the first video. It doesn't really reflect the rhythm of the first line, and in both cases I think capsing a complete sentence is much more powerful than doing so to an exclamation, which is already pretty shocking. Domon's "Yes, Master!" isn't exactly an ALL CAPS line, either.

Pretty much every actual name and kiai type of deal can handle the power of the caps if you're set on using them regularly, but then the Mazingers don't get them for some reason. I'd argue that Tetsuya and Duke might as well take them, but either way, Kouji definitely should. Though personally I think it looks better to consistently title case them and abuse exclamation points, saving the all caps for the real special stuff.

And while I'm QCing, the bits I remember thinking suspect were Norris ("There's no way you can keep up with my Gouf"), Shiro ("I'll survive to grow old with Aina!" - or better yet, see if you can check this sort of thing against official or established translations if possible), and Heero ("This'll work, won't it, Zero.")

I got through video 3 and those are the things that I took notice of.

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Caphi posted:

I'm not a fan of any of Shiro's ALLCAPS in the first video. It doesn't really reflect the rhythm of the first line, and in both cases I think capsing a complete sentence is much more powerful than doing so to an exclamation, which is already pretty shocking. Domon's "Yes, Master!" isn't exactly an ALL CAPS line, either.

Pretty much every actual name and kiai type of deal can handle the power of the caps if you're set on using them regularly, but then the Mazingers don't get them for some reason. I'd argue that Tetsuya and Duke might as well take them, but either way, Kouji definitely should. Though personally I think it looks better to consistently title case them and abuse exclamation points, saving the all caps for the real special stuff.

And while I'm QCing, the bits I remember thinking suspect were Norris ("There's no way you can keep up with my Gouf"), Shiro ("I'll survive to grow old with Aina!" - or better yet, see if you can check this sort of thing against official or established translations if possible), and Heero ("This'll work, won't it, Zero.")

I got through video 3 and those are the things that I took notice of.

The inconsistency might come from the fact that Koji was the first character I translated (at the time, I gave the higher priority to the characters in Axel's super route mission 1). I might have to go back and read his lines again.
About G Gundam, I originally had the whole "The ultimate technique of the school [etc.]" line in caps, but since the font is variable width, it actually won't fit the dialogue box. There's only two lines per box.

So, I should avoid all-caps as much as possible? I think I might have inconsistently used caps for nonsensical screams ("Uwaaaah!", "Gwaaah!" and the like). I used a lot of caps for Getter Robo's Ryoma.

For Gundam, I checked the official dub and subs as much as possible (His line of about marrying Aina is straight from the dub; I had in caps the part he screamed in the episode). If you're sure about that Heero line, I will change it (I wasn't convinced of my translation as "Can you do it, Zero...?").

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

TheMajinZenki posted:

The inconsistency might come from the fact that Koji was the first character I translated (at the time, I gave the higher priority to the characters in Axel's super route mission 1). I might have to go back and read his lines again.
About G Gundam, I originally had the whole "The ultimate technique of the school [etc.]" line in caps, but since the font is variable width, it actually won't fit the dialogue box. There's only two lines per box.

So, I should avoid all-caps as much as possible? I think I might have inconsistently used caps for nonsensical screams ("Uwaaaah!", "Gwaaah!" and the like). I used a lot of caps for Getter Robo's Ryoma.

For Gundam, I checked the official dub and subs as much as possible (His line of about marrying Aina is straight from the dub; I had in caps the part he screamed in the episode). If you're sure about that Heero line, I will change it (I wasn't convinced of my translation as "Can you do it, Zero...?").

Ah, so it's an issue with the official translation. Probably cut down for line length. Oh well. I feel like "go home and get hitched" is a serious undersell of ~と添い遂げる, but what are you gonna do.

But yeah, it's my view that using all caps has a big impact on how text in it is read, and it should generally be used when you really mean it. That's just how I do things, but comparing to the Mazingers it seemed especially inconsistent.

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Caphi posted:

Ah, so it's an issue with the official translation. Probably cut down for line length. Oh well. I feel like "go home and get hitched" is a serious undersell of ~と添い遂げる, but what are you gonna do.

But yeah, it's my view that using all caps has a big impact on how text in it is read, and it should generally be used when you really mean it. That's just how I do things, but comparing to the Mazingers it seemed especially inconsistent.

Thanks, this is very important feedback, I'll have to look back at what I did and see what to do with the caps. I'll need to think about a consistent rule.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think a good general rule is to use all caps if they're shouting at the top of their lungs. Anything less and a ! will do.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Srice posted:

I think a good general rule is to use all caps if they're shouting at the top of their lungs. Anything less and a ! will do.

Or if it's Wakamoto or Koyasu going full ham.

Then, the law demands you abuse the poo poo out of your caps lock.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I have to agree that ALLCAPS should be kept to a minimum. A single "!" at the end is enough, for the most part. Save the caps lock for lines where the actors are yelling themselves out of a voice.

Also Ikusagami's script is rough but it is what convinced me to play SRW A and untranslated SRWs after that. Without it (and his partial R script) I might not have bothered to watch Zeta or Zambot either. Also the earnest effort in translating Izumi's puns got a groan out of me in a good way. It is serviceable, is what I'm saying.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Domon is always yelling.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Playing Z2-2 again, I really think this is actually my favorite game in the Z series. As I mentioned before, some story things don't make much sense, but there's a lot of change and excitement, a bunch of cool original characters (something Z3-1 REALLY lacks), and the best soundtrack I think.

I hope Z3-2 has more original characters and music...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's almost a given Z3-2 is going to go crazy in terms of OGs, new and old.

Whether they'll be good? Ehhh.

KoB
May 1, 2009
One of Z2-2s best parts is Uther being rad and his mech being ridiculous in the best way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

KoB posted:

One of Z2-2s best parts is Uther being rad and his mech being ridiculous in the best way.

Did he survive the alternate route of that game? I would love for him to pop up in Z3 as an ally and not some sphere ghost or something.

• Locked thread