Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
So, a friend of my dad got a Canon Powershot S95 which he'll want to sell - I've been given the option to buy for it for $80. My question is if it should go for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kidney Stone posted:

So, a friend of my dad got a Canon Powershot S95 which he'll want to sell - I've been given the option to buy for it for $80. My question is if it should go for it?

A camera this old is total crapshoot. Go for it if its rarely used, well taken care of, or has 2 extra batteries. Its only a fair price not a good price.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

whatever7 posted:

A camera this old is total crapshoot. Go for it if its rarely used, well taken care of, or has 2 extra batteries. Its only a fair price not a good price.

I've now seen and tried it. It has no scratches, got a protection film on the screen, extra unused battery and everything works as it should.

I think I'll go for it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Just wanted to post an awesome experience with Canon. I sent my Powershot S120 to be serviced for dust in the lens and/or sensor a month after warranty ended, and not only did they give me a grace period and extend my warranty, they just sent me an email saying they are replacing it with a new or factory refurbished, free of charge. Sweet! That little camera has been with me through the USA, the Caribbean, Spain, South Korea, and Morocco, where there desert of the Sahara finally was too much for it. It has taken some beautiful images that I have yet to match with my new Fujifilm X-E2 with a variety of lenses (not to any fault in that gear, but for my lack of skill)

So I can wholeheartedly recommend the S120 and Canon as a company

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
My mom asked for my help picking out a new point-and-shoot under $300, and naturally I told her to get the S110 from Amazon since it's down to a pretty decent price. But no, it has to have "at least 10x zoom". I tried to explain the basics of zoom, reach, and image quality, etc., but it's not gonna happen.

So, is there a good option for a point-and-shoot with at least a 10x zoom for under $300? She already looked around and found the Canon Elph 340, Canon SX700, and Nikon S9700. The former looks to be a standard ultracompact, while the other two look like pretty equivalent compact superzooms. I don't know much about these types of cameras; is there anything I should know regarding how to best compare them? Is one of the three worth recommending, or if not, does anyone know of one that is?

It probably goes without saying, but she's just going to use auto mode (or maybe program if it exists). Anyway, thanks for the help.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My sister is asking about an upgrade to her who-knows-what sony point and shoot, saying she wants better IQ and she's willing to get something bigger if it means better ergonomics and functionality. No lens swapping, though, and under $400.

Is there any reason to give her options other than an X20 and a RX100 mark 1?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is a NEX too big for her? You don't need to take the lens off and the new power kit zoom is halfway decent. Otherwise I'd say maybe hold off until you can get the MkII for that price?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

TheEye posted:

My mom asked for my help picking out a new point-and-shoot under $300, and naturally I told her to get the S110 from Amazon since it's down to a pretty decent price. But no, it has to have "at least 10x zoom". I tried to explain the basics of zoom, reach, and image quality, etc., but it's not gonna happen.

So, is there a good option for a point-and-shoot with at least a 10x zoom for under $300? She already looked around and found the Canon Elph 340, Canon SX700, and Nikon S9700. The former looks to be a standard ultracompact, while the other two look like pretty equivalent compact superzooms. I don't know much about these types of cameras; is there anything I should know regarding how to best compare them? Is one of the three worth recommending, or if not, does anyone know of one that is?

It probably goes without saying, but she's just going to use auto mode (or maybe program if it exists). Anyway, thanks for the help.

Tell her if she knows what the gently caress it needs to have then why the hell is she asking you. That is obviously the best way to handle this.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Is a NEX too big for her? You don't need to take the lens off and the new power kit zoom is halfway decent. Otherwise I'd say maybe hold off until you can get the MkII for that price?

Yeah, she really was not into the lens coming off. I ended up suggesting the X20, the RX100.1, the Canon G15, or the Panny LX7. They all seemed to offer something slightly different but all good cameras.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can also find the Coolpix A for under $400 used now which is a pretty sweet deal considering GR's are still over $500 used for a decent copy. It's definitely more of a niche camera but might be worth considering depending on what she's looking for.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
If she wants a superzoom then gently caress it let her get whatever aren't they all just garbage anyway?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dren posted:

If she wants a superzoom then gently caress it let her get whatever aren't they all just garbage anyway?

The Sony and Panasonic superzooms with the 1" Sony sensor are pretty good but damned expensive.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Hey, my mom is looking for a decent underwater camera for $300ish. Any recommendations? She has a GoPro but says she wants something that's a bit higher picture quality.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

moana posted:

Hey, my mom is looking for a decent underwater camera for $300ish. Any recommendations? She has a GoPro but says she wants something that's a bit higher picture quality.

The Oly Tough has an f/2.0 on the wide end and has been great for me.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

moana posted:

Best Panasonic TS series she can afford.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Sony's 'Superior iAuto' is a bit weird, isn't it?

I thought the old 2GB card I was using must be very slow, hence the 'processing' delay. Bought a fancy new, Class10, no change, Only then did I decide to read the manual.

Given that it takes multiple shots and combines them, should 'superior' be reserved for tripod use?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

spog posted:

I thought the old 2GB card I was using must be very slow, hence the 'processing' delay. Bought a fancy new, Class10, no change, Only then did I decide to read the manual.

Given that it takes multiple shots and combines them, should 'superior' be reserved for tripod use?

My Sony HX9V performs fine when using Superior Auto handheld - it won't always go into HDR mode, but you'll know when it does due to the lengthy "Processing..." message. It can be pretty cool for landscapes, but people tend to look awful as I'm sure you've found.

Use "green" auto to prevent HDR mode.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

spog posted:

If you're talking about the rx100 that's the auto-ISO noise reduction mode, you can turn it off in the ISO settings. Going to burst mode also turns it off. That said I still have no good idea why there's "intelligent auto" and iA+ as different settings.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

DJExile posted:

The Oly Tough has an f/2.0 on the wide end and has been great for me.

Radbot posted:

Best Panasonic TS series she can afford.
Awesome, passed along your recommendations. Thank you so much!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

qirex posted:

If you're talking about the rx100 that's the auto-ISO noise reduction mode, you can turn it off in the ISO settings. Going to burst mode also turns it off. That said I still have no good idea why there's "intelligent auto" and iA+ as different settings.

In the auto modes, you can't change those settings, but it's helpful to know where else it appears in other modes, so thanks.

Seems iA+ enable multiple frames, iA doesn't

Radbot posted:

My Sony HX9V performs fine when using Superior Auto handheld - it won't always go into HDR mode, but you'll know when it does due to the lengthy "Processing..." message. It can be pretty cool for landscapes, but people tend to look awful as I'm sure you've found.

Use "green" auto to prevent HDR mode.

Ta. I wasn't sure if did it all time. Decided to RTFM

What is the difference between [Superior Auto] mode and [Intelligent Auto] mode?

In [Superior Auto] mode, the camera shoots burst images based on the recognized scene, then creates a composite of the burst images (Overlay shooting).
The camera automatically corrects the backlight and reduces the noise by overlaying images, so a higher-quality image results than in [Intelligent Auto] mode.

: Scene Recognition
Night Scene
Night Portrait
Backlight
Backlight Portrait
Landscape
Macro
Portrait
Baby
Spotlight
Low Brightness
Tripod
Move
: Overlaying

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

moana posted:

Awesome, passed along your recommendations. Thank you so much!

Did your mom end up deciding? I'm currently looking at the Olympus TG3 vs the Panasonic TS5 vs a Gopro4 Silver. The Olympus seems to have nicer features, but the Panasonic takes clearer video. I threw the Gopro in there just because, but I don't know the still quality. Does one of the much cheaper Panasonic TS25's compare?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Score a Panasonic LX100 for ~$575 by taking advantage of the crashing Euro:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7756087-panasonic-lx100-for-575-or-500-if-you-are-e-friendly?v=1

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Radbot posted:

Score a Panasonic LX100 for ~$575 by taking advantage of the crashing Euro:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7756087-panasonic-lx100-for-575-or-500-if-you-are-e-friendly?v=1

gently caress! It's gone!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Sorry. :( I'll post here again if I find a comparable deal.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Refurb Nikon Coolpix A for $299 from Adorama: http://www.adorama.com/INKCPABR.html

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
My wife wants a compact camera with a decent amount of zoom, for situation when a cellphone just won't do (a cute little squirrel that ended up being like 5 pixels high and dark settings where a led flash wont cut it are the specific reasons invoked).

Any reason not to get a sony wx220 at 150$ given the circumstances ?
We used to have a really great Casio ZR-400 but it didn't survive its last fall and now the battery door won't close. No complaints about it except some useful shooting modes like HDR, pre-recording at high speed or blurred background were buried deep and sometimes hard to find.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Radbot posted:

Refurb Nikon Coolpix A for $299 from Adorama: http://www.adorama.com/INKCPABR.html

Sounds like a good deal! It has no zoom though, will I miss that? I mostly want to use it for low-light indoor shots and taking pictures of stuff outside. I think my only worry is that it'd be terrible for taking pictures of, say, individual animals or whatever that are far away. You could crop the picture down later I guess?

Edit: Actually it looks like I can get the RX100 for around that much and it seems more versatile. Smaller sensor but still good sized.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 6, 2015

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

HondaCivet posted:

Sounds like a good deal! It has no zoom though, will I miss that? I mostly want to use it for low-light indoor shots and taking pictures of stuff outside. I think my only worry is that it'd be terrible for taking pictures of, say, individual animals or whatever that are far away. You could crop the picture down later I guess?

Edit: Actually it looks like I can get the RX100 for around that much and it seems more versatile. Smaller sensor but still good sized.

Yeah the RX100 series are really good and fit your budget.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a GR, which is basically the same thing, and it's one of my favorite cameras ever. You aren't going to be taking pictures of far away animals with it though—even with cropping. If an APS-C sized sensor with sharp f2.8 lens doesn't get you excited (or you don't know why it would make someone excited in the first place) it's probably not the camera for you. They're so, so good at being what they are though.

The RX100 is an excellent choice for most people.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Cool, thanks! Just grabbed a used RX100 off B&H. Almost got snagged by some scam sites but fortunately looked them up first. Dang there are a lot of them.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So can a not-entirely-poo poo P&S be had for less than 200 Canadian Pesos (max, really looking closer to $150)? Or would I be better off looking at the used market (or not being quite such a cheap gently caress)? I've been putting this purchase off forever but I'm selling a car now so it's a good excuse to pull the trigger.
Also is Canon still the go-to brand in the broke-rear end price bracket?
e: poo poo, I posted this right under someone asking basically the same question. Don't I look like an idiot. still, I'm seeing the old sweetheart S90 for like $120-150, would that be preferable over the new stuff?

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 19, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I sold my mint S110 for 162 American Dragons revcently, I don't know how much that convert to Canadian Funny Paper.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Did your mom end up deciding? I'm currently looking at the Olympus TG3 vs the Panasonic TS5 vs a Gopro4 Silver. The Olympus seems to have nicer features, but the Panasonic takes clearer video. I threw the Gopro in there just because, but I don't know the still quality. Does one of the much cheaper Panasonic TS25's compare?
Sorry this is a bit late, but yeah, she ended up with the Olympus and loves it.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I want to buy a gift for a friend, she currently has a Canon ELPH SD1300 IS (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powershot_sd_series/powershot_sd1300_is) a camera from 2010. She really likes the form factor of the smaller ELPH camera vs the bigger point and shoots, is there any reason I shouldn't just get the newest camera in the ELPH brand or is there something better? This seems to be newest: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_elph_350_hs

Thanks!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you can get something from the S series they're a little bigger but take MUCH better pictures.The SD110 is like $80 more than the 350 on amazon.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 3, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Minty Swagger posted:

I want to buy a gift for a friend, she currently has a Canon ELPH SD1300 IS (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powershot_sd_series/powershot_sd1300_is) a camera from 2010. She really likes the form factor of the smaller ELPH camera vs the bigger point and shoots, is there any reason I shouldn't just get the newest camera in the ELPH brand or is there something better? This seems to be newest: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_elph_350_hs

Thanks!

I got to be honest with you their IQ is barely better than smartphone if at all.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Cool thanks all, I'll shop around but sounds like I should do a step up. :)

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012
RX100 owners (esp. I&II), how is it for portraits? Possible to get a bit of defocus in the background? I see that the RX100 gets down to f1.8, but reviews say this is only at the extreme wide angle end and that speed drops off pretty quick as you go telephoto.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Half face portraits is fine. Remember to give your subject a bit of difference in background foreground distance for bokeh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
DOF is fairly deep at the tele end unfortunately. But quite serviceable at the wide end. Not ideal for portraits though, works better for macro or other inanimate objects.

• Locked thread