Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Daduzi posted:

I honestly have no idea how I feel about this. It's weird, every other news story I have a clear feeling either way but here I just don't know. On the one hand, this brings the chance of somebody actually being held to account closer, and maybe it will make people realise just how "last days of Rome" our whole society has become. So I should feel happy but there's just no way to read these stories and feel anything remotely positive. And these are all long passed events so sadness and grief don't work either. Can't even bring myself to feel angry or shocked.

So, yeah, gently caress.

Spoiler alert, I'm pretty sure the first days of Rome had some similarities too. As soon as there were enough rich and powerful people to ignore most of the consequences of terrible activity.

I mean, the obvious citation is Suetonius. Would he spread unproven gossip, I ask you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Serotonin posted:

That's Edward. I'm not at all surprised by these accusations about Andrew. The bloke is a grade A tosser and dodgy as gently caress.

Dude was a gunrunner (sorry, "trade envoy") for the Indonesian government while they were under an arms embargo, after he knew Hawks had been used in the East Timor massacre. We already know he's indirectly responsible for some horrible crimes at the very least, and AFAIK hasn't faced any charges for it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Brown Moses posted:

In an earlier piece we examine how one police unit was putting all it's limited resources into working with the Fake Sheikh, how that led to them not having the resources to investigate child sex abuse allegations, and how all the work they did with the Fake Sheikh was eventually thrown out of court. Oops!

That sounds like the plot of a Yes Minister The New Statesman episode, except for the child abuse.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
The Metropolitan Police are being accused of covering up that a, now conveniently dead, former Tory minister who was a close confidant of Thatcher lured a 14 year old to London and sexually abused them.. He is also implicated in the North Wales Child Abuse scandal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11323146/Thatcher-confidant-raped-boy-and-police-covered-crime-up.html

quote:

One of Margaret Thatcher’s closest confidantes raped a teenage boy 30 years ago but escaped justice when Scotland Yard covered up the crime, it has been alleged. Police are investigating claims that Sir Peter Morrison lured the 14-year-old to London and sexually abused him in a guesthouse reportedly used by a Westminster paedophile ring. A former Conservative minister, Morrison was first exposed as a serial child abuser in 1998, three years after he died from a heart attack. But the MP for Chester was never charged with any crime during his lifetime. Speaking to The Telegraph, the alleged victim, now aged 46, said he and his family reported Morrison to Scotland Yard in 1982, hours after the teenager had escaped the MP’s clutches.
Yet after he gave a statement and was examined by doctors, the family say they heard nothing for months.

Finally, the boy’s father says he was informed by Scotland Yard that the abuser had been sent to prison for assaulting his son, and that no further action was needed. However it was only years later, the family claim, that they discovered the culprit's true identity. They then discovered Morrison had never in fact been jailed for any crime, and that police had apparently duped them into dropping the allegation.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The Metropolitan Police are being accused of covering up that a, now conveniently dead, former Tory minister who was a close confidant of Thatcher lured a 14 year old to London and sexually abused them.. He is also implicated in the North Wales Child Abuse scandal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11323146/Thatcher-confidant-raped-boy-and-police-covered-crime-up.html

Note on the whole Peter Morrison issue I believe at least one person in Thatchers circle has said to reporters she was aware of his sexual preferences, off the record though. Its the allegations against Peter Morrison that stink the most as he allegedly had interactions with the police on numbers of occasions and it kept being covered up; but then again given whats been alleged that all this covering up started due to Thatchers 'Mentor' having a similar tastes to Morrison when he was PM its hardly surprising the default for the establishment was to cover it up when ever it occurred around that time.

ukle fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 5, 2015

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
IIRC Edwina Currie admitted in her autobiography that Morrisons behaviour was known about by the government and Thatcher.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a shame she's dead because I'd have loved to hear her comment on the information :allears:

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

quote:

Finally, the boy’s father says he was informed by Scotland Yard that the abuser had been sent to prison for assaulting his son, and that no further action was needed. However it was only years later, the family claim, that they discovered the culprit's true identity. They then discovered Morrison had never in fact been jailed for any crime, and that police had apparently duped them into dropping the allegation.

Oh my loving god

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Armani posted:

Oh my loving god

Hahaha. God drat that's hosed up

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It's a shame she's dead because I'd have loved to hear her comment on the information :allears:

I want to sit everyone who has ever said they had admiration for Thatcher down and ask them what they think of this.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

gently caress that, they should sling anyone who even admitted a slight inkling of knowledge about these people before the courts to reveal anything and everything, especially for any living offenders.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gonzo McFee posted:

I want to sit everyone who has ever said they had admiration for Thatcher down and ask them what they think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndoSyrZtNCo&t=0m46s

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Morrison also seems to be a line of inquiry in the investigation into the child murder claims:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11325064/Murder-link-to-Margaret-Thatcher-aide-accused-of-raping-teenage-boy.html

quote:

Scotland Yard is investigating a possible link between one of Margaret Thatcher’s closest aides and the unsolved murder of an eight-year-old boy in the 1980s. Sir Peter Morrison, the former deputy chairman of the Conservative Party who died in 1995, was a known child molester but was never charged with any crime during his lifetime.

Now police are examining whether the MP for Chester could have had any link to the unsolved murder of eight-year-old Vishal Mehrotra in 1981.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Armani posted:

Oh my loving god

It's like that "The Aristocrats!" joke but for real. :wtc:

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
http://unfashionista.com/

Was there any point in this thread where these accusations by Louise mensh were discussed?

I haven't seen it discussed anywhere else which is pretty odd.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The Prince Andrew / Adam Dershowitz thing? I dunno, it sounded hinky.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's like that "The Aristocrats!" joke but for real. :wtc:
The punchline is even the same.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Sri.Theo posted:

http://unfashionista.com/

Was there any point in this thread where these accusations by Louise mensh were discussed?

I haven't seen it discussed anywhere else which is pretty odd.

Christ, has Mensch's site always looked so TimeCube-esque? I thought at one point it was genuinely trying to be some sort of fashion site

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

OwlFancier posted:

Thatcher was a dribbling simpleton by the time she died. Apparently she couldn't even remember that her husband was dead.

You weren't likely to get any information out of her.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

OwlFancier posted:

"There's no such thing as paedophilia."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Thatcher was a dribbling simpleton

This seems more apt. Literally nothing I've read about her has been positive in any way aside from Tories who view her legacy the same way the GOP fellates the Reagen years and aggressively counters any attempt to point out that its almost 100% proven fact that Reagen was in the grips of serious Alzheimer near the end of this 2nd term.

Did she actually do anything objectively good? It seems like she just gutted the government and completely hosed over Ireland, Wales, and Scotland every chance she got.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

pentyne posted:

Did she actually do anything objectively good? It seems like she just gutted the government and completely hosed over Ireland, Wales, and Scotland every chance she got.

No she did not. She took my loving milk :(

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Poison Jam posted:

No she did not. She took my loving milk :(

And our jungle canyon rope bridges.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

pentyne posted:

The Good:
  • Had an unspecified part in creating Mr Whippy ice cream.
  • Voted in support of the decriminalisation of homosexuality, (one of the few Tories MP to do so)*
The Bad
  • loving everything else - her economic policies, her social policies, her international relations, ad infinitum.
  • Her loving toxic legacy to UK politics.
  • The fallout of the above, which we're all still suffering.

What little good she did, will never outweigh the bad. Especially so, if she was actively covering up or turning a blind eye to nonces in her inner circle.

*Later though, pissed away any good that did by enacting 'Section 28' of 'the Local Government Act 1988' that reads; "a local authority "shall not intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality" or "promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship"

[e]: I can't disagree with that; the Unions did have too much power. But at the same time, like you say, she went to such extremes to break them.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 6, 2015

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I agree with that, except that the Unions really were loving the country hard in the 70's. They were more powerful than the government in many areas, and as they were holding the country hostage - cf. winter of discontent etc. - poo poo couldn't continue. It had stopped being a democracy and ended up being a virtual Mafia racket. Course, the ridiculous extremes Thatcher went to to break the Union power was above and beyond, but it's hard to argue that elected governments should kow-tow to that much pressure from outside parties. My family voted in the 1979 election, but they never had a vote for the leaders who were leaving bodies to pile up outside cemetaries.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pesky Splinter posted:

The Good:
  • Had an unspecified part in creating Mr Whippy ice cream.
  • Voted in support of the decriminalisation of homosexuality, (one of the few Tories MP to do so)*

Thatcher almost certainly only voted to decriminalise homosexuality because she knew how many gay Tories there were. 20 years later she was in charge and didn't need them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Thatcher was a dribbling simpleton by the time she died. Apparently she couldn't even remember that her husband was dead.

You weren't likely to get any information out of her.

But possibly a more constructive set of policies.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Don't forget she punched the Argies in the dick, something still felt today. Just ask Jeremy Clarkson.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Plavski posted:

I agree with that, except that the Unions really were loving the country hard in the 70's. They were more powerful than the government in many areas, and as they were holding the country hostage - cf. winter of discontent etc. - poo poo couldn't continue. It had stopped being a democracy and ended up being a virtual Mafia racket. Course, the ridiculous extremes Thatcher went to to break the Union power was above and beyond, but it's hard to argue that elected governments should kow-tow to that much pressure from outside parties. My family voted in the 1979 election, but they never had a vote for the leaders who were leaving bodies to pile up outside cemetaries.

Yes she broke them, but then she went further and firebombed them so they could not come back in any way shape or form to help with the good they did before they got out of control. There was a massive middle ground she skipped over to the extreme.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Yes she broke them, but then she went further and firebombed them so they could not come back in any way shape or form to help with the good they did before they got out of control. There was a massive middle ground she skipped over to the extreme.

Yup, and the conversion of Labour from a left-wing pro-Union working man's party to the right-wing anti-Union Tory-party-in-all-but-name was her bitterest legacy. She continued to gently caress over the Unions for years after she was ousted, simply by showing that Labour didn't need their support to win elections.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dershowitz, what the poo poo!? :psyduck:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Gibfender posted:

Christ, has Mensch's site always looked so TimeCube-esque? I thought at one point it was genuinely trying to be some sort of fashion site

Her web-guru was exposed as a sex-pest and I guess she's not found another one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dysgenesis posted:

Don't forget she punched the Argies in the dick, something still felt today. Just ask Jeremy Clarkson.

I too, remember seeing news reports about the grim, purse-lipped form of Thatcher striding across the waves from Land's End, across the Atlantic, down to the Falklands and giving the Argentinian fleet a belt upside the gunwales with her handbag.

The Royal Navy had nothing to do with it.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Her web-guru was exposed as a sex-pest and I guess she's not found another one.

Pedo to be accurate, and in a hosed up why fitting for what is being discussed here

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Plavski posted:

The unions represented their members, and by extension the entire working class. They were fighting for better pay and conditions. It was nothing like a Mafia racket and the popular media narrative about that era is dripping with revisionism and anti worker prejudice as you would expect from our media. Look how the crushing of the unions has worked out for us. If you are under 25 congrats, your life chances are going to be worse than your parents for the first time in decades. The ruling classes hosed us all over by the mid 80s and have successfully sold it as a good thing. Exactly as they are attempting to dismantle the social contract and welfare state and telling us its for our own good because something something austerity.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 7, 2015

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
:supaburn:b b but the dead went unburied:supaburn:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serotonin posted:

The unions represented their members, and by extension the entire working class. They were fighting for better pay and conditions. It was nothing like a Mafia racket and the popular media narrative about that era is dripping with revisionism and anti worker prejudice as you would expect from our media. Look how the crushing of the unions has worked out for us. If you are under 25 congrats, your life chances are going to be worse than your parents for the first time in decades. The ruling classes hosed us all over by the mid 80s and have successfully sold it as a good thing. Exactly as they are attempting to dismantle the social contract and welfare state and telling us its for our own good because something something austerity.

Trying to tell people that unions came into being because the workforce was being so brutally exploited usually results in "Oh, yeah but it's not like that anymore, unions are just greedy" and it doesn't matter how essential unions are to ensuring a safe work environment and ensuring the rights of the workers everyone's got an anti-union story of a bunch of smug corrupt assholes shutting down a plant and trying to bleed the owners dry.

The Baker's union for Twinkies got the blame when Hostess went under, even though the union accepted an extraordinary pay decrease with the promise of salaries being raised 3 years later, and then management went "Yeah, you're not getting raises. Also, say goodbye to your benefits" so the union refused, Hostess CEO shut down the production lines, and the news media spun it as greedy unions destroying an American icon.

Also, you know it is slowly returning to 1900 levels of worker abuse and exploitation. Just ask any coal miner, especially the ones who've seen cave-ins. The coal companies have openly admitted its cheaper to let people die and pay the meager fines rather then improve working conditions, and no politician has made any attempt to sanction them.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
So the person who managed to prove that the Lost Prophets singer was a complete scumbag, ended up in court herself, because the people she initially tried telling he was a pedophile ignored her 5 times, and didnt want to look bad when it all came out, so instead of listening to her in the first place, tried to shut her up, am I putting the pieces together right or have I connected dots where no connection lies.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
She decided to play at being a policewoman and traded child porn with him to try and snare him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Total Meatlove posted:

She decided to play at being a policewoman and traded child porn with him to try and snare him.

That's a pretty bad idea.

• Locked thread