Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

West SAAB Story posted:

I've just got a hatred for any luxury badged econobox with TOYZ. As a SAAB guy, I know that makes no sense. Shut up.

The Land Cruiser isn't exactly an econobox... It's barely cheaper new then the LX, and misses out on the awesome hydraulic suspension and some lux add ons.

I have no kids, and I plan on getting it nice and dirty, it wont be just a mall queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

D C posted:

The Land Cruiser isn't exactly an econobox... It's barely cheaper new then the LX, and misses out on the awesome hydraulic suspension and some lux add ons.

I have no kids, and I plan on getting it nice and dirty, it wont be just a mall queen.

The Land Cruiser is the nicest and most well-built car Toyota makes today (LFA not being in production.) Nothing econobox about them. They can also take a ridiculous beating.. The UN uses them in the 3rd world for a (good) reason.

(ps the Land Cruiser and Lexus are virtually identical today, suspension and all)

Tremek fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 15, 2015

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Fart Pipe posted:

Got a better picture of the Forester after a small lift.

The amount of ground clearance it has now is pretty boss for a station wagon.

drat, that rules. I've never cared for subie wagons in the least but I want one now.

Also if those are hella 500s I've found them to be a pretty good value for the price. They spliced right in to my existing jeep driving light harness (once I figured out that blue=ground black=hot, wtf France). Now I just have to figure out what wiring I need to bypass that will allow me to run them simultaneously with the brights for desert trips (ken?...)

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Here are some pics of my baby before I put her away for the winter. I done almost everything there is to do suspension wise except a front k-member and coil overs.
im debating on continuing my quest for ever ridiculous amounts of now extreme suspension mods, or upgrading my seats to something a little bit more comfy.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

drat, that rules. I've never cared for subie wagons in the least but I want one now.

Also if those are hella 500s I've found them to be a pretty good value for the price. They spliced right in to my existing jeep driving light harness (once I figured out that blue=ground black=hot, wtf France). Now I just have to figure out what wiring I need to bypass that will allow me to run them simultaneously with the brights for desert trips (ken?...)

Thanks. I got this car for cheap cause one of my friends got it for free and I had to put a motor in it. I just wanted it as a winter beater and didn't plan to modify it at all. Then I ended up really liking and and here we are. I have a list of stuff I still want to do to it, haha.

I really like the Hellas. They are just the small ones but they are pencil beamed and really light up the road pretty far ahead. The high beams really fill out the sides so with both of them on I can see very well. Right now I have mine hooked up to their own switch but I got a 3 way switch so that I can set them up to be on/off/on with highbeams that Ill wire up next time I get a chance.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kalvick posted:

Here are some pics of my baby before I put her away for the winter. I done almost everything there is to do suspension wise except a front k-member and coil overs.
im debating on continuing my quest for ever ridiculous amounts of now extreme suspension mods, or upgrading my seats to something a little bit more comfy.

Thats a super clean mustang and I havent seen it in a while. Thank you for not doing what ever other silver mustang does and paint the spoiler/hood scoop/gas door black. I wish my paint looked half as good as yours though. :(

Plus your deep dish rears make me jealous. Ive got DD bullitts in my basement waiting to be put on in the spring.

You got 315/35r17s on the back? Any tire that you would recommend?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

kalvick posted:

I like the idea of there being at least one nicely preserved late-sn95 out there. Are there any power modifications? I worry that with just 260hp those fat tires will never get to break free.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Those are great wheels for the car. Also its nice to see a clean GT from that generation. Seems like most I see these days are beat to poo poo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

davebo posted:

I like the idea of there being at least one nicely preserved late-sn95 out there. Are there any power modifications? I worry that with just 260hp those fat tires will never get to break free.
Heres a picture that explains why deep dish rears are a good thing even with no engine mods

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 15, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cage posted:

Heres a picture that explains why deep dish rears are a good thing even with no engine mods

I don't know, doesn't seem that bad. What's the width on yours? I could see splitting the difference between the two. Kalvick's fronts look like they're almost outside the car though, although maybe its the angle of the photo.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Cage, The tires are Nitto 555 Extreme 265-35-18 and 285-35-18. Technically my rear lugs are big enough to handle extra wide tires, but I dont know where I can get wheels with a big enough offset.
335 sized street tires would be sick! my lugs stick out like 2"

Davebo, currently I have only a few basic bolt-ons in the engine, because I dont really want to spend the money on the engine because i never really know where I want to go with it. The k-member choice is going to lead me to do a turbo setup or
upgrade my current engine or coyote swap. So I really have to think long and hard what the future of this car is going to be. Since I don't have the tools or skills to do a job this large by myself, the labor costs are gonna be astronomical. I want this job to be done once. If I cant decide, Im just gonna upgrade my seats.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Geology posted:

Hah! I have the same car, same color. Are those sparco assetto garas?

Yes they are! I saw them on some magazine's long term test car around the time I was ordering the wheels tires and just went "why the hell not" when I found them on tire rack.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

Cage posted:

Where'd you get the louvers? I've been eyeing the ones on CJ Pony Parts for my Fox.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

Cage posted:

Man I love louvers.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

davebo posted:

I don't know, doesn't seem that bad. What's the width on yours? I could see splitting the difference between the two. Kalvick's fronts look like they're almost outside the car though, although maybe its the angle of the photo.
I have the stock 17x8s all around. The rear 10.5s I bought should basically make it flush with the body. The tires are 245/45r17 but Ill be looking at 315/35r17 for the rears.

HairyNipple! posted:

Man I love louvers.
:getin:

Propaganda Bob posted:

Where'd you get the louvers? I've been eyeing the ones on CJ Pony Parts for my Fox.
http://machspeedinc.com/

edit: Looks like they dont make fox louvers though :(

Cage fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 16, 2015

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

That Works posted:

My first Jeep. Just picked this up today. 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.0L I6, automatic, 72k miles, no rust, good maintenance records and clean history.

Feeling good about it. Will be nice for the trips up to Vermont and New Hampshire in the snow.

04 is the best 4.0. You probably have some leaking axle seals and the wires in the drivers door will bend themselves in half, but besides that that thing is gold. Unless you have auto climate controls, those won't work ever.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Nope. IIRC those can be had for pretty cheap and they are very reliable with solid V8s.

Also superrrrrrr comfy.

There's a '93 for sale here locally with 200k, in pretty good shape for $2500. It's tempting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Elephanthead posted:

04 is the best 4.0. You probably have some leaking axle seals and the wires in the drivers door will bend themselves in half, but besides that that thing is gold. Unless you have auto climate controls, those won't work ever.

Unfortunately it does have the auto controls. I had been warned about them beforehand, they are perfectly functional, for now :ohdear: and I do expect that to be a pain in the future but given the price I got it at I am still quite happy with the purchase.

It was my friends car who just got a huge promotion and he sold it to me for a huge decrease over what he was going to sell to the public for. Just got a bunch of minor stuff / all the legal poo poo finished on it this morning. Really enjoying it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

angryhampster posted:

There's a '93 for sale here locally with 200k, in pretty good shape for $2500. It's tempting.

I've been looking at these as well, but it's been hard to pin down expected maintenance costs. Parts look to be very expensive, some high mileage owners have zero issues, some have lots.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

04 is the best 4.0.
Does that also apply to the Wrangler? My uncle's got one with a 5-speed and near as I (with my low standards) can tell, it's stupidly overpowered even bone stock. The drat thing lays down elevenses just trying to merge into traffic.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Wifey's 03 tj 4.0 Nv3550 will flat loving haul in the lower gears.
but theres also 4.11 diffs.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Sold the GTV:

Bought a GTV:

It is nowhere near as tidy and original as the previous, but it has had a lot of work done and it has some redeeming features :):

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

DoLittle posted:

Sold the GTV:

Nooo tell me you kept the wheels! Still the best in AI.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Cage posted:

Nooo tell me you kept the wheels! Still the best in AI.

Nope, unfortunately they are gone. Gotta make some sacrifices for the quad cam Busso.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
My 85 and 89 GTs. Old busted, new hotness.

And just the '89:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Tell me those headlights are already in the trash. They make it look like a Dodge Daytona.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

Turns out the pavement ends when you cross into NC.

Theonlydk
Jul 29, 2003
The only Dk here!
Picked this up recently. It is a 2012 A7 and I'm really happy with it so far.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Theonlydk posted:

Damned nice car.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

OneOverZero posted:

Turns out the pavement ends when you cross into NC.

That road looks insanely fun. Nice car, too.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Theonlydk posted:

Dream car. One of the best-looking 4-door cars IMO

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Yeah, thats the ticket.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You should paint those rivets black. :(

Otherwise that looks good with black wheels and meaty tires.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

D C posted:

Yeah, thats the ticket.
This rules.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Why is the mall parking lot so muddy?!?!

:D

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

You should PlastiDip those rivets neon pink

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

D C posted:

Yeah, thats the ticket.

If those are real beadlocks, that's awesome. If they're not, I agree with everyone suggesting that you de-emphasize them.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

D C posted:

Yeah, thats the ticket.

I never thought Id think any Lexus would look cool but drat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Fart Pipe posted:

I never thought Id think any Lexus would look cool but drat.

Look at some of the more built LX450s :v: J200 there looks surprisingly nice with a little bit of lift. Mmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Theres a tonne of LX470's running around Aus with all the go hard offroad bits from the land cruisers bolted onto them- seen a few running 35" muds. You can pick up a previous year LX470 for the price of the next years Sahara grade cruiser and you get a SHITTONNE more luxury with the Lexus.

The only real difference between the Land cruisers and Lexus in the current generations (200 series and LX570) is apart from the cosmetic externals and pimps treatment internals in the lexus is that the Toyota only gets the 4.6L V8 petrol vs the 5.7L in the Lexus and the Lexus doesnt get the 4.5L Twin Turbo Diesel from the 200 series.

Not my truck, but you can make an Lexus look drat mean if you throw some talent and money at it.