Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
It wasn't me. It was the three-chinned man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

quote:

The forums at silkroadmarket.org and bitcointalk.org ran the same software—and not only that, they ran the same outdated version. (BitcoinTalk is also operated by Karpeles)

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

holy poo poo also freemarket.txt

quote:

Der-Yeghiayan strongly emphasized that they should not bring up Silk Road, as that would jeopardize his own investigation. HSI Baltimore didn’t exactly ignore him—when they met up on July 11, it was Karpeles’s attorneys who brought up Silk Road first. They said that Mark Karpeles was willing to give up DPR if he “could get a walk on his charges.”

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Karpeles, on the silk Road, with the Thermos??

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

what if thermos is actually karpeles too. the donations for forum software were to try and backfill missing gox coins

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dren posted:

from the article:

I'm starting to think Karpeles is a criminal mastermind and the domain name service he runs is there to create plausible deniability in exactly this sort of situation. His newest service, Tibanne, is just hosting, right? And we were all like "Wow that's awfully boring for a guy like Karpeles" but GUYS, IT'S JUST A COVER BUSINESS.

nah, mark is domain broker and owns hundred of domains that he buys and sells. the hosting business is a way to access registrar rates for domains.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Greyhawk posted:

goddamn the laff chain keeps getting new blocks faster than i can download them

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

in a way, we are all mark karpeles

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010
How many of the coins being sold at the moment are stolen?

Do bitcoiners realise that by buying bitcoins the are literally funding organised crime and making criminals rich?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

kierrie posted:

Do bitcoiners realise that by buying bitcoins the are literally funding organised crime and making criminals rich?

something something victimless crimes

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kierrie posted:

Statistically, all of them have been stolen at least 3 times.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
I love that the courtroom artist seems to be making this trial into a children's book.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

creationist believer posted:

the courtroom doors burst open as Dorian Nakamoto's theme music starts playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6jtLAnqiiA&hd=1

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NewiSNS-vLk

buttcoin_mining.mov

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

text editor posted:

In court...

Judge: How do you plead?

Ross: I require pen and paper, and leave of court for 5 minutes to prepare my answer.

Judge: Granted.

NOTICE TO THE COURT

Firstly: i, a man, ross william ulbright, am not represented, do not represent myself, am present.

Secondly: If any man/woman claim wrongdoing angainst me, i wish, order and demand that man/woman present and verify his/her claim against me in open court of record.

Thirdly: If no man/woman verify claim against me, and/or;

Fourthly: if verified claim is not attached to me, then;

Fifthly: i require return of my property, and;

Sixthly: i require payment to me in the amount of Two Million Dollars ($2,000,000) in repayment for enslavement and involuntary servitude, by UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Seventhly: i, say here, and will verify in open court, that all herein be true.

SIGNED
DATED

The attorney for the United States is sworn in and takes the stand.

Ross: Are you UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?

Attorney: No. I have been authorized by the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA to present the case before you.

Ross: Do you have a claim of wrongdoing that I did against you, that you will verify here today in open court?

Attorney: No. I am here to present complaints by the UNITED STATES...

Ross to the judge: Your honor, since this attorney is not the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA as attested to by his own testimony, and since he (she) has claimed by testimony that i have done no wrong to him(her), i wish require this attorney to step down from the stand.

[The attorney steps down.]

Ross: As stated in my NOTICE TO THE COURT, "If any man/woman claim wrongdoing angainst me, i wish, order and demand that man/woman present and verify his/her claim against me in open court of record."

[Nobody takes the stand]

Ross: As stated in my NOTICE TO THE COURT, "i require return of my property. i require payment to me in the amount of Two Million Dollars ($2,000,000) in repayment for enslavement and involuntary servitude, by UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Obviously things wouldn't go quite as smoothly as this, but with the help of Karl Lentz at http://www.broadmind.org/ this process can have Ross done and out of court very rapidly, with return of freedom, and return of his property.

If the courts fail to follow their own rules, Karl will have Ross earning a lot more than $2,000,000 off them. Somebody needs to slip Ross a note telling him that he is being screwed by his attorneys, and that he should contact Karl. Karl is a free man, so nobody knows for sure what he might do. But there's a good chance Karl would love this opportunity, and if he does, he will charge only a token fee for his services, far less than any attorneys, yet having far greater success.

Smiley

i

i..

what

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
replace all smilies with the text Smiley

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
like if youre in front of a judge and they ask how do you plead and you say anything other than guilty or not guilty you're treading a v bad line

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

how do i plead? i plead that everyone does their best and has a good time today, and nobody gets hurt in this court battle. back to you, judge-pal.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

graph posted:

like if youre in front of a judge and they ask how do you plead and you say anything other than guilty or not guilty you're treading a v bad line

http://www.reelz.com/trailer-clips/49396/my-cousin-vinny-clip/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

graph posted:

here's what i don't get

why is it you need to ask the judge for pen and paper

couldn't you have just written it out beforehand, do they think that it must be written at that precise time for the dark legal magics to work

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

evilweasel posted:

here's what i don't get

why is it you need to ask the judge for pen and paper

protip the courtroom is not the stage for your randian lolbertarian soliloquy and thinking that it will be tolerated for a second is :lol:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

graph posted:

protip the courtroom is not the stage for your randian lolbertarian soliloquy and thinking that it will be tolerated for a second is :lol:

i mean i know all that, every bit of it is insane

but i just don't get why even once you believe all that insanity you still have to write it out after you're asked how you plead

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
For five years, you have been asking: Who is Dread Pirate Roberts?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 16, 2015

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

evilweasel posted:

i mean i know all that, every bit of it is insane

but i just don't get why even once you believe all that insanity you still have to write it out after you're asked how you plead

Because it would be a pretty boring scene if the main character just came to court with a piece of paper and handed it to the judge. You've got to create suspense and make your viewers wonder what will happen next. Asking for pen and paper instead of answering the judge shows a certain defiance that is sure to intrigue the audience.

e: Kevin Spacey's character in Usual Suspects is named Roger "Verbal" Kint.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i dunno why people keep saying this is some mastermind defense. i'd imagine there's jail time penalties for just operating a black market, and he admits to running one and coming back to run one near the end. so he's just made sure he's going to jail, just that he might go to jail for less time (maybe?)

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

i dunno why people keep saying this is some mastermind defense. i'd imagine there's jail time penalties for just operating a black market, and he admits to running one and coming back to run one near the end. so he's just made sure he's going to jail, just that he might go to jail for less time (maybe?)

i gathered that ulbricht is well and thoroughly hosed, and that his legal team at this point is just throwing whatever poo poo they can find at the wall in the hope that a single grain will stick

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

it's a long rear end read but meads v. meads is a great court judgement on this freeman on the land poo poo.

it's by a Canadian judge who had enough and wrote a blueprint on how to handle these cases that all Canadian jurisdictions could use. the basis of law he used also applies to nearly everywhere that these people live and it has been used as guidance in some US cases iirc

it's a big ol "this poo poo is dumb. you're wasting everyone's time. you're not allowed to do it anymore. gently caress off" judgement and it owns

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Condiv posted:

maybe

or maybe his defense is grasping and is going to manage to bring karprles done with him

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

graph posted:

someone post the tazing video

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

sorry I thought that quote was a copy paste of what someone thought he should do

am I to believe that's what he actually did do

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

maybe

or maybe his defense is grasping and is going to manage to bring karprles done with him

The court really can't do poo poo to karpeles tough can they?

He is a French citizen living in Japan. Like they couldn't extradite him to the states for a trial. I guess they could push the Japanese to Depot him back to France where he is already due a year in prison for fraud, and use French laws to go after him there.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
what if dpr is dprk

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Condiv posted:

yeah basically, he has a chance of evading significant jail time

it's still a hail mary, but it's an inspired hail mary given how utterly hosed he is with all of the evidence

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

they'd have to have enough evidence to get a grand jury to indict him before they can extradite

this is all hearsay for now and it won't be enough to implicate karpeles. if there was a legit dhs investigation he might already have immunity from whatever they found anyways

this is a hail mary and like most hail marys this probably won't be enough.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

what if dpr is dprk

Josh zerlan said he visited dprk. Maybe magikarpeles is Josh zerlan in a fat suit.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

this is a brilliant attempt by ulbricht's defense though. might as well as go all in if you're going to bet big

karpeles is definitely the hero bitcoin deserves though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

what if dpr is
donetsk peoples republic

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
fell behind in this thread a while back but just marathoned the last 30 pages and :eyepop:

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
is anyone going to get prosecuted on the murder-for-hire bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

libertarians, when left to themselves, build n-dimensional knots of betrayal and lies

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 16, 2015

• Locked thread