Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

remember how marco had intentions of becoming an f1 driver :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I feel like I'm missing something because it seems like most times I've been in his vicinity I get the feeling he's more just painfully shy than an rear end in a top hat.

It's the wrong career for someone like that, but what else do you do when you're next in line from one of the most accomplished all-around drivers in history, and one of the most accomplished Indycar drivers in history?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I feel like I'm missing something because it seems like most times I've been in his vicinity I get the feeling he's more just painfully shy than an rear end in a top hat.

It's the wrong career for someone like that, but what else do you do when you're next in line from one of the most accomplished all-around drivers in history, and one of the most accomplished Indycar drivers in history?

I don't know, we do have a goon here who's like best buds with him, but he's not posted in quite some time.

I'd like him to be good and win the drat thing because I grew up a fan of the Andretti's. To see that family finally win the drat thing would be really, really, really cool to see, almost on par with one of my teams winning a title.

Marco and Graham would have benefited from running in Europe I think. I think Marco should have ran a full season of Lights, then did Atlantics and then have Michael fund a ChampCar seat in retrospect. Dude just jumped in too quick.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Possibly Chicken posted:

Considering the dozens of almost fatal crashes he's had, along with killer bee attacks, bulldozer wrecks, and spending a month in the hospital at age 79, I think he might be too badass to die.

He might actually be more inkillable than Bernie Ecclestone.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cubey posted:

Formula E driver Marco Andretti

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

^^ Hey hey, he beat nearly 2 drivers in that race. And was a mere 6 places below his teammate.

Bhester posted:

I respect him. He could have easily stepped back to Indy after a year or two of struggling in NASCAR, but he stuck with it and is determined to make it work.

Dario.jpg

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
let's not get crazy, Sam is a much better tintop pilot than Dario was

Dario was B A D

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

VikingSkull posted:

let's not get crazy, Sam is a much better tintop pilot than Dario was

Dario was B A D

Maybe Dario could have made it work if he really wanted to, but it never seemed like he really wanted to be there.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I don't think he had the wheel to wheel thing in him. I got a very "heh, I do 230mph all the ti-ohmygod get away why are you so close jeeeeeeesuuuuuuuuuuuschriiiiiiiiiiiiiist*smash*" vibe from him.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

VikingSkull posted:

I don't think he had the wheel to wheel thing in him. I got a very "heh, I do 230mph all the ti-ohmygod get away why are you so close jeeeeeeesuuuuuuuuuuuschriiiiiiiiiiiiiist*smash*" vibe from him.

I agree with you there. I wonder what would be different if Ganassi had given the focus to Bryan Clauson that he gave Franchitti in NASCAR*

*Literally nothing would be different, but Fuzzy gets to daydream, so why can't I?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Possibly Chicken posted:

Considering the dozens of almost fatal crashes he's had, along with killer bee attacks, bulldozer wrecks, and spending a month in the hospital at age 79, I think he might be too badass to die.

He also employs Takuma Sato.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cubey posted:

Really? The last thing I read from him regarding F1 was that "they" intentionally sabotaged the MP4/8 his dad drove so he wouldn't do well.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I think you underestimate how awful Ganassi was in NASCAR in 2008.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Everything I've read says that, yeah, he's painfully shy. Dan tried to work with him to not appear like such an rear end in a top hat.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i always got the impression that dario was in nascar because his wife got scared after one too many indycar wrecks and didn't want him driving indycars anymore

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Kinda turned out she had a point though didn't it?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

IIRC Dario had at least two really scary airborne accidents the season before he hosed off to NASCAR.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gret posted:

IIRC Dario had at least two really scary airborne accidents the season before he hosed off to NASCAR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQs7oAuYZEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4SJTjRs-rI

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Daytona_500

If you want to see the lowest, low point of American Open Wheel Racing being NASCAR's bitch....this race right here was pretty much it.

I never got it either...it was puzzling. The whole mass open wheel exodus that happened during that time period was ugly and I think actually hurt racing in both series.

I didn't understand what made NASCAR owners go "You know I need to get a driver for this car. I have sponsorship and everything else is set...but who...hmmm...I KNOW! I'LL GET SOMEONE WHO WON IN CART!"

To have lost the Jeff Gordon's, Tony Stewart's, Ryan Newman's (allegedly tested for Panther) and Kasey Kahne's of the world was bad enough...but to have been lost people who were sincerely in the Open Wheel Scene in both Europe and North America? That was the lowest of the low.

e: To add the four lowest points in AOWR history were as follows:

1. 2011 World Championship Race at Las Vegas
2. 1996 US 500/Indy 500
3. 2008 Daytona 500
4. 2002 Indy 500

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 17, 2015

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Ryan Newman's (allegedly tested for Panther)

whew, bullet dodged

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

To have lost the Jeff Gordon's, Tony Stewart's, Ryan Newman's (allegedly tested for Panther) and Kasey Kahne's of the world was bad enough...but to have been lost people who were sincerely in the Open Wheel Scene in both Europe and North America? That was the lowest of the low.

The worst part is that those open wheel regulars who jumped ship then got curb stomped. It wouldn't have been as bad if they did ok.

Also your list is a personal list, because the fire in '64, the clusterfuck that was '73, and Vukovich's death in '55 blow those out of the water easily. I mean, I get what you're saying, but open wheel racing existed before we were all born, man.

Vukovich was the worst moment in Indy style racing history IMO. Imagine if the most popular driver, winner of the preceding two 500's, was killed while leading the 500 going for three straight wins.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 17, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Also your list is a personal list, because the fire in '64, the clusterfuck that was '73, and Vukovich's death in '55 blow those out of the water easily. I mean, I get what you're saying, but open wheel racing existed before we were all born, man.

Right, but those didn't really do "damage" PR wise to the sport in the same way that the 2011 race did.

We watched THE DEFENDING INDY 500 CHAMPION die on national television, and there were drivers like Jimmie Johnson insisting that we should never race on ovals again.

it's not like the thing had never happened before in racing, but I think it just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back. A gimmick that was designed to put IndyCar in a more positive place backfired so, so, badly.

VikingSkull posted:

The worst part is that those open wheel regulars who jumped ship then got curb stomped. It wouldn't have been as bad if they did ok.

It was bad all around.

Indy fans hated it. NASCAR fans hated it.

Danica appears to have been the end of that trend barring guys like Tagliani running road courses. (the only types of races that Indy turned NASCAR drivers truly excel at).

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Trust me man, Wheldon's death was up there, but it's not the worst moment in Indycar history. Vukovich was far more popular, and defending winner of TWO 500's, and was leading his third. It blew peoples minds, and the reaction to ovals was the same.

:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGdqy8DyauM:nms:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

'73 was one of the shittiest years ever for racing in general, not even including the series of disasters at the 500. At least Benny Parsons got his title that year.

I don't remember anything about the 2008 Daytona 500.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

'73 was one of the shittiest years ever for racing in general, not even including the series of disasters at the 500. At least Benny Parsons got his title that year.

I don't remember anything about the 2008 Daytona 500.

In the same way where 1993 was the high point for the sport of IndyCar racing attracting the best of the best in terms of talent from around the world? NASCAR was pretty much at that point in 2008.

Dario Franchitti, Juan Montoya, Patrick Carpetentier, Jacques Villeneuve, Sam Hornish Jr., and AJ Allmendinger all were trying to make that field that week.

The last two were held up as positive examples of :911: drivers in the sport of AOWR. Jacques and Juan were the best examples of the CART model working in terms of it being respected by the World...and now those two didn't want to come anywhere near the (newly) unified ICS.

Dario was the defending Indy 500 and IRL series champ...and didn't come back to defend either title.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

what makes wheldon's death particularly horrifying is that it accomplished absolutely nothing. you look at earnhardt dying, for example, and it gave us things like HANS that are clearly saving lives. but we knew what made the IR05 dangerous and much of it was rectified in the DW12. he died driving the last loving race in that lovely car. and we still don't really know how to make better catch fences. it was completely god drat pointless.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Calling Carpentier, Hornish, and 2008 Jacques Villeneuve among "the best of the best in terms of talent from around the world" is a bit of a stretch.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

even 2005 jacques villeneuve was clearly more poo poo than massa. what a fall from grace.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The last time JV could be put in that category was 2000. Dude stopped giving a poo poo once BAR signed Olivier Panis to be his teammate and the team stopped revolving around him.

Hell, Jenson Button was thought to be a total lost cause when BAR brought him on board, and he kicked the poo poo out of JV and saved his career.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

be nice wicka posted:

what makes wheldon's death particularly horrifying is that it accomplished absolutely nothing. you look at earnhardt dying, for example, and it gave us things like HANS that are clearly saving lives. but we knew what made the IR05 dangerous and much of it was rectified in the DW12. he died driving the last loving race in that lovely car. and we still don't really know how to make better catch fences. it was completely god drat pointless.

Well it did prove everybody right who thought pack racing in IndyCars was one of the worst ideas in history and it was only through pure dumb luck that it hadn't killed anyone yet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The last time JV could be put in that category was 2000. Dude stopped giving a poo poo once BAR signed Olivier Panis to be his teammate and the team stopped revolving around him.

Hell, Jenson Button was thought to be a total lost cause when BAR brought him on board, and he kicked the poo poo out of JV and saved his career.

I always thought the crash at Melbourne in 2001 that killed a marshal hosed him up more than he would admit.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
i randomly bought the 73 radio coverage from the ims store a few years back

its eight hours long; five of those is sid collins replying to fan mail while it rained

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I always thought the crash at Melbourne in 2001 that killed a marshal hosed him up more than he would admit.

Forgot about this, but yeah I could believe that too. Especially since it was so similar to the crash that killed Gilles.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

FuzzySkinner posted:

Right, but those didn't really do "damage" PR wise to the sport in the same way that the 2011 race did.

We I watched THE DEFENDING INDY 500 CHAMPION die national television 300 yards from me in turn 2 and there were drivers like Jimmie Johnson insisting that we should never race on ovals again.

Between that accident, and Champ Car's lovely promoter sticking the city with $4 million in debt, IndyCar is never coming to Las Vegas again, in any form. A hero died, hopes were crushed, the whole thing sucks.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

AxeBreaker posted:

Between that accident, and Champ Car's lovely promoter sticking the city with $4 million in debt, IndyCar is never coming to Las Vegas again, in any form. A hero died, hopes were crushed, the whole thing sucks.

I cringe at the idea of seeing a DW-12 ever running that track again.

What sucks is...on paper? The idea sounded cool. 33 drivers running in a season finale with the title on the line? An event with the intent of trying to get drivers from other series to run it? That would have been amazing to see if they could have done it successfully..

Imagine if such an event was ran at Fontana with DW-12s instead of the Pack Racing we saw?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

We were all pretty hyped up for the idea of the final race. But then, it turned out the way it did.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
IIRC I had posted that a $5,000,000 bonus to lure in inexperienced drivers was dumb and asking for a huge wreck at that track, I just didn't figure it would kill who it did lol

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Not to start poo poo here, but...

Rico Abreu, Chad Boat and Kevin Swindell are three guys I want to see in IndyCars.

Abreu is a loving beast.

VikingSkull posted:

IIRC I had posted that a $5,000,000 bonus to lure in inexperienced drivers was dumb and asking for a huge wreck at that track, I just didn't figure it would kill who it did lol

Doing it for the Indy 500 itself would have perhaps worked a bit better and allowed drivers more time to run the thing really.

e: Rico update, apparently Chip took notice.

chip ganassi ‏@GanassiChip 7m7 minutes ago
@Rico_Abreu. There's a name you'll be hearing more of. Stay Tuned! #winner

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 18, 2015

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

IceAgeComing posted:

i randomly bought the 73 radio coverage from the ims store a few years back

its eight hours long; five of those is sid collins replying to fan mail while it rained

I bought that too. They had NOTHING to do during the rainstorm so at one point they resorted to describing what color each car was. At least there was the cool story of Parnelli Jones hooning about on a golf buggy behind the VIP suites, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Rico is a great sprint talent, good on him for the win.

I woulda watched, but I was busy wheeling the DW12 from 20th to 6th at Michigan :smug:

• Locked thread