Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Is there really not a way to my have my facebook calendar show up as a calendar with stock android (5.01 if that matters), the facebook app installed and the google calendar app? (really I just want Google Now to tell me when to drive to people stupid birthday parties in lovely Seattle traffic).

I don't see anything useful in the facebook app, calendar app or the accounts section, and googling it just leads me to people manually exporting poo poo into the google calendar or 3rd party apps.

Only way I've found is adding 'upcoming events' and your friends' birthdays as separate calendars in Google Calendar on the web - that way they'll show up and update automatically as calendar entries on your phone.

https://www.facebook.com/events/upcoming, and in the bottom right there's two links:

right-click & copy either link, fire up https://google.com/calendar and look in the bottom-left at the 'Other Calendars' section:

Paste the Facebook links into the pop-up and another calendar will be added with all your events or birthdays. It's read-only, as everything's handled at Facebook's end - as the Facebook app doesn't touch anything in the process, it's treated just like any other online calendar by the Google Calendar app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

dissss posted:

Yep Facebook and Google are engaged in some sort of dispute about how sync should be handled so nothing Facebook related syncs at all on Nexus devices.

To explain: Google believes that sync should work how you would expect sync to work.

Facebook believes that the owner of the data being shared should continue to have control over it even after making it public. So for example if that person removes a phone number from his/her shared profile, it should immediately disappear from the contacts of everyone it was shared with.

You can make arguments in defense of either position, but unfortunately they remain very different positions and unlikely to ever see eye-to-eye.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is anyone able to get smart lock to work with locations? I'm trying to add my home location but it won't work. Works just fine with my car through blutooth. Setting it with my home address does nothing. Setting it with GPS also does nothing.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Is anyone able to get smart lock to work with locations? I'm trying to add my home location but it won't work. Works just fine with my car through blutooth. Setting it with my home address does nothing. Setting it with GPS also does nothing.

I haven't gotten it to work with my home address either. It's a bummer.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Works perfectly for me. Just had to turn it on and tell it to trust "home" and "work".
(Also car bluetooth and my magicbands)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I had trouble with my "work" location, apparently because it included the company name. Once I changed it to only the street address it started working.

You have your GPS set to "accurate" mode?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, it is set to high accuracy. I clicked the add location thing and added the location my GPS says I'm at. No luck.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Is the focus in a Nexus 5 hardware or software? My phone went for a swim a little while back and the camera hasn't quite been able to focus well since. If I keep tapping the screen to refocus eventually it puts something in focus but it's a crapshoot. It also does a thing where it looks focused, I press the shutter button and just before taking the picture it moves the focal plane just enough to make the picture worthless.

If it's hardware, what's my best bet to replace it if a good camera is the primary criteria? Note 4 in phablet size or Z3C in phone size?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, it is set to high accuracy. I clicked the add location thing and added the location my GPS says I'm at. No luck.

Mine usually works, but I find I have to put in the PIN a handful of times each day while I'm home. I'm waiting for the Moto Keylink to be back in stock so I don't have to deal with this stupid poo poo anymore.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For 25 bucks that would be awesome. Then I remember I work in a SCIF and I'd have to take that off my keys every day and eventually I'd forget to have it.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I have Sprint, and I can't switch for REASONS. I cannot stand using my Galaxy Nexus anymore.

I am eligible for a phone upgrade. With a two year contract, I can get an LG G3 for $49, a Nexus 6 for $249, or a Note 4 for $299. There are other phones, but these are the ones I am interested in. All of these have quad-core CPUs and 3GB RAM.

The stylus on the Note 4 intrigues me. I have an Asus Vivotab Note 8, and I really like the Wacom stylus; is the Note 4 stylus anything like that? I have been burned twice by Samsung phones that didn't get timely software updates, plus the Note 4 is very pricey.

The Nexus 6 seems to be the only Android phone with dedicated, always-on voice recognition hardware. The battery is not user replaceable, and there is no microSD slot.

The LG is much less expensive, has the double tap wake up, and the laser auto focus hardware. I have seen that the battery life is not very good, but it has a removable battery, so I could potentially carry a charged spare.

Will I be kicking myself in six months if I get the LG G3 over the other two phones?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Reverse Centaur posted:

Because you get scared easily by click bait bullshit?

That, and the fact that TouchWiz hasn't killed my family yet. The Note 4 is a beast, which will be all the more unfortunate when the Note 5 comes out and my updates are pushed back to never.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

PBCrunch posted:

I have Sprint, and I can't switch for REASONS. I cannot stand using my Galaxy Nexus anymore.

I am eligible for a phone upgrade. With a two year contract, I can get an LG G3 for $49, a Nexus 6 for $249, or a Note 4 for $299. There are other phones, but these are the ones I am interested in. All of these have quad-core CPUs and 3GB RAM.

The stylus on the Note 4 intrigues me. I have an Asus Vivotab Note 8, and I really like the Wacom stylus; is the Note 4 stylus anything like that? I have been burned twice by Samsung phones that didn't get timely software updates, plus the Note 4 is very pricey.

The Nexus 6 seems to be the only Android phone with dedicated, always-on voice recognition hardware. The battery is not user replaceable, and there is no microSD slot.

The LG is much less expensive, has the double tap wake up, and the laser auto focus hardware. I have seen that the battery life is not very good, but it has a removable battery, so I could potentially carry a charged spare.

Will I be kicking myself in six months if I get the LG G3 over the other two phones?

Depends what you want from your phone. Best camera: get the Note, but the G3 is still pretty good. Best screen: Note again. Best battery: Note again, I think. Best form factor: Probably the G3. Smoothest UI: You'd have to play with all 3, but I'd guess the N6. Best software: Tossup between N6 stock UI And the Note's multitasking and stylus enhancements.

They're all pretty good, but I think the G3 will show its age the fastest.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Maybe. I liked mine for the few months I had it. I found the battery to be okay. Certainly better than the Moto X, not as good as the Note 3 (but not far behind), and, obviously, not as good as the Droid Turbo (although that isn't an option for you). In terms of hardware, the camera was great and I liked the size and feel of the phone. Software: the OS skin wasn't terrible and I liked Knock On. One thing that I HATED was the inability to turn off the unlock animations. That was the only place I ever noticed any lag and, holy poo poo, was it ever apparent. It was a big reason I decided to keep my Note 3 over it.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

spoof posted:

If it's hardware, what's my best bet to replace it if a good camera is the primary criteria? Note 4 in phablet size or Z3C in phone size?

Both of those are great options if you care about the camera on an android device. Though the sensor on the note is smaller, it outkicks it's coverage.

I will say that Sony's filter effects are a bit more fun, though. There's a sketch filter that works on photo and video that can make a clip look like the "take on me" music video.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

PBCrunch posted:

Maybe.

Note 4 has best in class screen, best in class battery, the only UI that makes use of such a huge screen size (mostly multiwindow I use that poo poo constantly), the S-Pen, which isn't super useful but a fun gimmick, and best in class camera. It is literally the best phone available and the first Samsung in a long time that isn't completely crippled under touchwiz. You can also root it and install CM very easily if that's your thing but then you lose multiwindow and S-Pen, so it just depends on how often you use those things. Samsung phones have always been excellent, hardware wise, and it seems like the software is finally catching up.

Also for what it's worth it's looking pretty likely that Note 4 is going to get Lollipop this month, but I wouldn't hold my breath for any updates after that. Alas.

Nexus 6 is literally a Nexus 5 with a big screen. Getting one when you can get twice the phone for another 50 bucks would be really dumb.

For what it's worth, I played a bit with the LG G3 when I was deciding between phones and I actually really liked it, but I haven't used it for an extended time so I couldn't tell you more. Screen feels bigger than it is because dem bezels.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sometime in the last week my Moto X (2013) developed an interesting bug. The audio alert when you get a new text, asking you if you'd like to have it read to you, gets stuck in some sort of bizzare loop playing the first half of the "beep" before it asks you if you want to hear the text until I hit the home or back button. Rebooting it doesn't seem to fix it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Logikv9 posted:

That, and the fact that TouchWiz hasn't killed my family yet. The Note 4 is a beast, which will be all the more unfortunate when the Note 5 comes out and my updates are pushed back to never.

But you can stick a credit card in the gap in the glass according to all of those sites that also say the N6 is a defective piece of poo poo!!

Daily Forecast posted:

Nexus 6 is literally a Nexus 5 with a big screen. Getting one when you can get twice the phone for another 50 bucks would be really dumb.

Wowzers. It's strange that my big screened N5 can do this on benchmark tests

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 18, 2015

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
It turns out the LG G3 is $49 for new lines of service only. So really it comes down to $199 G3, $249 Nexus 6, or $299 Note 4. I chose the Note 4. It will be here later this week.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You bought a Samsung.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

RZA Encryption posted:

You bought a Samsung.
A good phone.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

It works quite well with my home location, but it does have issues where if I walk to the shops rather than driving sometimes it doesn't seem to trigger a location update and will not lock itself properly an hour later thinking I'm still at home...

Works properly 8/10 times I'd say which is good enough for me.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

PBCrunch posted:

The Note 4 also has always on voice recognition and considering the Note 2 is getting Lollipop I don't think you have to worry about updates.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

The Note 4 also has always on voice recognition and considering the Note 2 is getting Lollipop I don't think you have to worry about updates.

Counterpoint: it is a Samsung.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
B

PBCrunch posted:

It turns out the LG G3 is $49 for new lines of service only. So really it comes down to $199 G3, $249 Nexus 6, or $299 Note 4. I chose the Note 4. It will be here later this week.

Best Buy gave me $100 back on my note 4 in a GC. Not sure if its still going. The camera on the Note 4 is amazing. The battery life is great. The quick charger that comes with it is a huge plus too. The Nexus 6 can't touch the camera on the 4, and I doubt the G3 can either.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

A good phone.
The truth is "Samsung" is Korean for "lovely phone, dumb customer". It rhymes in Korean though.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

PBCrunch posted:

The correct answer was to use the money to eat whatever ETF your contract with loving Sprint has and get something cheap like a Moto G on an actual network.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

The truth is "Samsung" is Korean for "lovely phone, dumb customer". It rhymes in Korean though.

The buyer's remorse is strong with this one.

Whizbang posted:

The correct answer was to use the money to eat whatever ETF your contract with loving Sprint has and get something cheap like a Moto G on an actual network.

Isn't T-Mobile still doing that thing where they pay your ETF?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Actually, Samsung means to come.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

While trusted location hasn't really worked for me (maybe my house is too rural or something? I set it with gps also and that didn't help), trusted bluetooth works 100% of the time, it's great

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hopefully they get some updates for it. But yes, bluetooth works amazingly well.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Hadlock posted:

Sometime in the last week my Moto X (2013) developed an interesting bug. The audio alert when you get a new text, asking you if you'd like to have it read to you, gets stuck in some sort of bizzare loop playing the first half of the "beep" before it asks you if you want to hear the text until I hit the home or back button. Rebooting it doesn't seem to fix it.

Mine started doing the same thing in the same timeframe.

stratego
May 6, 2007

Stormangel posted:

Mine started doing the same thing in the same timeframe.

The latest Google search app update is the culprit. If you delete its app data it goes back to normal. Motorola says they're working on a fix as of week ago apparently.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
In the $200-$350 range for unlocked phones, brand new, our options are still basically:

-Nexus 5
-2013 Moto X
-Moto G

Or am I missing anything obvious?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Insane Totoro posted:

In the $200-$350 range for unlocked phones, brand new, our options are still basically:

-Nexus 5
-2013 Moto X
-Moto G

Or am I missing anything obvious?

No more brand new nexus 5 from google play store.

We are out of inventory. Please check back soon.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_16GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_16gb

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What's the 2-month-out opinion on the Nexus 6? Kicking around the idea of getting one.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

What's the 2-month-out opinion on the Nexus 6? Kicking around the idea of getting one.

I'm sure you'll get every opinion under the sun here, but I love mine. It's a huge improvement from my Nexus 5, and I don't know if I could get a "normal" sized phone again after getting used to the size of it, it rules. It's also the loudest goddamn phone I've ever used.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm sure you'll get every opinion under the sun here, but I love mine. It's a huge improvement from my Nexus 5, and I don't know if I could get a "normal" sized phone again after getting used to the size of it, it rules. It's also the loudest goddamn phone I've ever used.

I've yet to see anyone who's actually used an N6 say they dislike it, besides the "it's too big" crowd.

For me, it's the best phone I've ever owned and I buy a flagship every year.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Trisk posted:

Is anybody else still waiting on their Black Friday Tylt Vu?

Turnquiet posted:

I'm still waiting too, getting kinda antsy.
They sent me an email today:

quote:

Hi nmfree,

We actually just received another shipment of VU chargers but unfortunately the credit card authorizations have expired. Please fill out the attached credit card form, sign it and send it back to us. We will process your order as soon as we receive the completed form.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Thank you!

Thanks,
--

Jessica Carrillo
Customer Care Specialist
That doesn't seem sketchy at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I love the Nexus 6. Coming from the Nexus 4 it was a huge improvement. I haven't had any problems with Lollipop aside from the smart lock not working at my house. No wifi issues, no screen redraw memory leaks, no dialer issues.

It almost seems small. Not sure how I used the N4 looking at it now. I remember getting the N4 to replace an iPhone 4S and thinking how huge it was.