Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

1st AD posted:

But Rosa got the tap, he didn't need GNP

Yup, but in general, good things come from face punching while grappling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Count Roland posted:

You don't need a stable position. Say when a guy was turtled with opponent on top. Yes you can hang on for the choke, or you could punch to the side of the head. No hooks were in, so you could think of a knee to the body as well. You obviously risk losing control, but forcing your opponent to think about and defend strikes is well worth it.

i see what you're trying to say, and if you're not good at jiu jitsu, sure, but rosa was very good at jiu jitsu and what he was doing was making soriano poo poo his pants much more than some arm slaps to the head

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

vainman posted:

I hope next time we talk about Conor pandering or whatever everyone remembers Rosa nicknamed himself Boston Strong and is trying to make #bostonstrong his thing

nobody cares about rosa though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Count Roland posted:

You don't need a stable position. Say when a guy was turtled with opponent on top. Yes you can hang on for the choke, or you could punch to the side of the head. No hooks were in, so you could think of a knee to the body as well. You obviously risk losing control, but forcing your opponent to think about and defend strikes is well worth it.

Without a stable position Rosa's strikes would have sacrificed the control he was using to put Soriano in danger for pussycat punches that could easily be ignored.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Crossposting from UFC thread on how to get event on fightpass.

Get Hola unblocker, log in, clear cookies, set location to Thailand, log back in, profit. Worked for me from Canada, and regular prelims showed up as blocked before.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Marching Powder posted:

nobody cares about rosa though.

I just think it's funny. It's like nicknaming yourself #ALSicebucketchallenge

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
You know, here's the reason I was a little leary when TSN picked up the Canadian UFC TV rights from Sportsnet - at least Sportsnet used one of their six or so feeds to play the preliminaries. TSN? Nope. Gotta have three channels showing curling and one showing old boxing fights. Just lame - and I'm usually one to defend TSN. Not this time.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Count Roland posted:

What tap is this?

Fedor has quite literally only tapped once in his career.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

case is going to win this because he has the haircut most similar to conor mcgregor who is also fighting tonight in case you didn't know.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
body shots from the top are cool

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

i see what you're trying to say, and if you're not good at jiu jitsu, sure, but rosa was very good at jiu jitsu and what he was doing was making soriano poo poo his pants much more than some arm slaps to the head

Nah. The days of pure BJJ are done. Being good at BJJ is still really good and important, but gnp became ubiquitous for a reason.

e: Rogan talking how good offensive guards are so rare. They used to be common, but they got punched in the face too much, along with the usual passing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

good, dominant win by case.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I found Fox Sports 1!

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I found Fox Sports 1!

congrats, can you know find a way for siver to win tia

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

SquirrelGrip posted:

congrats, can you know find a way for siver to win tia

Lol

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

this irish guy is going to win because he knows conor mcgregor who is also fighting tonight in case you didn't know.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
did you know that connor is being called the irish muhammed ali? quite the compliment to ali being compared to the most exciting fighter in the UFC, the notorious one, connor mcgregor

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I can't believe they played a hype video featuring a genuine Diaz quote.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Count Roland posted:

You don't need a stable position.

If you're not in a stable position, you can't throw strikes with power.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Seahawks and a mcgregor win would be perfect

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'll never understand fighters shadowbox like 50 year old women at their first boxercise class for a promo. have some fun with it or put in or do something for fucks sake

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
lol his name is paddy holohan

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

conor has one n. because the other n was taken out of his name for 'n'otorious. this is a fact.

houlohan escaped from a north korean concentration camp for this fight. he's still going to win though because of conor mcgregor.

nick diaz swam back from alcatraz. just think about that for a second.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Jesus Aisling looks fat

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
GREATEST AD SYNERGY EVER

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

henkman posted:

lol his name is paddy holohan

i guess he should have great head movement due to his philosophy about dodging

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Did they just boo the American guy and cheer for the Irish guy?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Crowd loves the Hooligan, Hooligan is visibly touched. MMA is a very loving sport. +10 fighting spirit

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

im waiting for the huluhoopman to break something on howell because good christ man he's an emaciated ent.

he'll still win though because conor mcgregor.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That looked like a tap to me.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I am so happy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I am so happy.

jesus you shed your bavarian roots real quick. loving pbr?

Another year
Oct 13, 2011

the mermaid
see
a movie?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I am so happy.

the dream

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

you know what conor mcgregor? gently caress that guy. never wanted someone to lose more and I never thought I'd think that after DC/Bones.

but he'll win because conor mcgregor knows conor mcgregor who is fighting tonight.

acejackson42 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 19, 2015

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
lol at He's out cold - oh, no he's not!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hooooooooolahan

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

lol at He's out cold - oh, no he's not!

Maybe Rogan wasn't watching the monitors but in no way did Howell look like he was about to tap or pass out from the angle we got.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

jesus you shed your bavarian roots real quick. loving pbr?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Pabst

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

...... well then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

watching flyweights is the same as watching boxing heavyweights. you might be enjoying it, but in the back of your mind your're rating them on a scale as how bad they'd get annihilated by the champion

• Locked thread