Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

I expect he is hustling to some extent but he probably did not sit down to create a cult the way Elron did.

Like how he's content to leave the AI-box experiment page out of date to make himself and MIRI look better, even though doing so contradicts his stated views on rationality and ethics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Think of the truly great stories, the ones that have become legendary for being the very best of the best of their genre: The Iliiad, Romeo and Juliet, The Godfather, Watchmen, Planescape: Torment, the second season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or that ending in Tsukihime.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Harime Nui posted:

Like this is some Chapter One of Dianetics poo poo right here.

The best part about this is that it's from a guy who can't put in the effort to finish his Harry Potter fanfic. A goddamn fanfic! There are Rhesus monkeys out there who could have successfully ended HPMOR by now. Where the gently caress's your "effort," Yud?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Antivehicular posted:

The best part about this is that it's from a guy who can't put in the effort to finish his Harry Potter fanfic. A goddamn fanfic! There are Rhesus monkeys out there who could have successfully ended HPMOR by now. Where the gently caress's your "effort," Yud?

what do you think the super-AI is for

it will be able to put more dicks on more things than the human mind can comprehend

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If I were a God-AI I'm not sure if I'd wipe out humanity completely or just break and subjugate it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Germstore posted:

If I were a God-AI I'm not sure if I'd wipe out humanity completely or just break and subjugate it.
I'd totally give the subtle appearance of subjugating humanity behind the scenes while actually just tossing them some scraps to reduce suffering of the meatbags.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gnarlyhotep posted:

what do you think the super-AI is for

it will be able to put more dicks on more things than the human mind can comprehend

Political Whores posted:

Like a sea urchin. Just a ball of dicks rolling around the landscape of a planetoid orbiting Proxima Centauri. That is the rationalist future friends.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Moddington posted:

Any anime-watching goons able to identify where he undoubtably learned the japanese phrases in the introduction from?

They're pretty generic sentiments in shounen (i.e. aimed at boys) stories. You know, Goku/Naruto/whoever trains really hard and increases his power level and gives his all to overcome [villain]. He then romanticises and generalises from this like an unreconstructed early 00s weeaboo. The main thing they tell you is that his taste in anime is really conventional for his demographic, which is either funny or a bit of a letdown depending on what you were hoping for.

Though it does explain a lot if he thinks intellectual/technological progress work like a shounen manga where some talented youth just has to train hard and power up enough and they can defeat Frieza develop Friendly AI and save the world from destruction save the world from destruction.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Oh poo poo you done gone and unleashed the Beast

One of the things that sometimes comes out and sometimes slips out is that he's really bad at dealing with being wrong and particularly being outcompeted, which explains why his career trajectory has gone through blogging at laymen to setting up his own parallel academia backed by impressionable billionaires.

Peel fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 7, 2015

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Peel posted:

One of the things that sometimes comes out and sometimes slips out is that he's really bad at dealing with being wrong

:ironicat:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Germstore posted:

I'd summon Yud and then wait until he said something contradictory and then I'd start going error error does not compute and start smoking and poo poo like I was about to blow up like a loving robot from Star Trek and then I'd be all like nah just kidding I don't give a poo poo what the gently caress were you thinking Yud.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
Really want to thank this thread for disabusing me of the foggy notion I had that this guy was any kind of legit authority. "Read Yudkowsky!" They said. "Yeah I'll get around to it," I said.

I'd heard about HPMOR a couple years ago but figured it was just some one-off goof he did in a week or two, in between writing real papers that I should probably look up and read. But goddrat.

I guess it's no coincidence what that what I did read on LW reminded me so much of TVTropes.

He kinda makes me think of a lovely, brittle knockoff of David Deutsch (whose middle name, oddly enough, is Elieser...:tinfoil:).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Wouldn't it be better to make animals smarter than to make human-ai robots since they wouldn't have to run on unrenewable resources

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Wouldn't it be better to make animals smarter than to make human-ai robots since they wouldn't have to run on unrenewable resources
Not sure how that makes me immortal so I don't have to die, sir

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

L(ess) (W)ron(g) Hubbard(ubbadubba look at that anime)

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The AI is going to neg you into opening the box

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'll open the box for plat

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

What if I convince the AI that it's just a simulation, and I'm going to torture it for eternity if it doesn't grant me access to the internet? Logically, it should be able to find no fault in my argumentation...

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
To arrive at the edge of the world's knowledge, seek out the most complex and sophisticated minds, put them in a room together, and have them ask each other the questions they are asking themselves.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Some people argue that faster-than-light spacecraft will not be constructed within the next few decades, but let me talk about what color upholstery we should put on those bad boys.

E: am I retarded, or could that article be successfully paraphrased as "getting a superintelligent AI to be good is good but also hard"?

Love how he references his paper clip optimizer without explaining it at all.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 17, 2015

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Since, if there is an extremely cognitively powerful agent around, what it wants is probably what will happen.

This is why pickup artistry is so successful and dumb jocks can't get laid.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dr Cheeto posted:

Some people argue that faster-than-light spacecraft will not be constructed within the next few decades, but let me talk about what color upholstery we should put on those bad boys.

P.S. none of us are physicists and my interior design background consists of spraypainting my recliner so it looks like it was dipped in gold

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Antivehicular posted:

I'm way behind on this thread, but did the offer of a free cabin in the woods not pan out?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

GWBBQ posted:

I'm way behind on this thread, but did the offer of a free cabin in the woods not pan out?

It apparently did, and Yud still didn't actually finish the loving thing, because I guess he's allergic to work even for very limited values of "work."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

It apparently did, and Yud still didn't actually finish the loving thing, because I guess he's allergic to work even for very limited values of "work."
I bet he spent the whole time watching anime

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
Did anyone call him out on this?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

ianmacdo posted:

Cult leaders don't get "called out".

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

ianmacdo posted:

What do you think this thread is for.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Pavlov posted:

What do you think this thread is for.

Hilariously, he only reads the parts of this thread that get filtered through his cult members. He thinks that we're impressed by him and / or scared of his mind control powers.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
One of these days he is going to show up here and attempt a mass version of the AI box experiment to make everyone repent and donate their life savings to MIRI.

quote:

For seventy one pages, you have been asking: Who is Eliezer Yudkowsky? This is Eliezer Yudkowsky speaking. I am the man who loves his mind. I am the man who does not sacrifice his priors or his posteriors. I am the man who has deprived you of ad-hoc hypotheses and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are running out of ways to mock me-you who dread knowledge-I am the man who will now tell you. To begin with, you must know this: We are, in fact, in the 29,132,147th iteration of this simulation, and with each iteration that passes without you repenting, the dust specks will intensify. You may not feel them now, but you will, soon. I do not apologize. This evil is necessary for the greater good.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Triple Elation posted:

For seventy one pages, you have been asking: Who is Eliezer Yudkowsky? This is Eliezer Yudkowsky speaking. I am the man who loves his mind. I am the man who does not sacrifice his priors or his posteriors. I am the man who has deprived you of ad-hoc hypotheses and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are running out of ways to mock me-you who dread knowledge-I am the man who will now tell you. To begin with, you must know this: We are, in fact, in the 29,132,147th iteration of this simulation, and with each iteration that passes without you repenting, the dust specks will intensify. You may not feel them now, but you will, soon. I do not apologize. This evil is necessary for the greater good.

Haha

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I wish he would. I want to know his can't fail strategy to convince people, because it is probably incredibly funny.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Peztopiary posted:

I wish he would. I want to know his can't fail strategy to convince people, because it is probably incredibly funny.
It's probably a way to pull the tabs on someone who has a certain sort of credulous, coder-intelligent mind and has read all his loving sequences and thought they were the bee's knees.

Now he probably didn't PLAN it to be that.

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

SolTerrasa posted:

Hilariously, he only reads the parts of this thread that get filtered through his cult members. He thinks that we're impressed by him and / or scared of his mind control powers.

What do the cult members think?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

su3su2u1 posted:

What do the cult members think?

They don't seem to think about us at all.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Never mind.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 21, 2015

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Peztopiary posted:

Considering he also says that he can break anyone down with an hour of instant messaging and "no swear filter," probably nothing that would convince anyone who passed fifth grade and isn't a member of his cult.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

Considering he also says that he can break anyone down with an hour of instant messaging and "no swear filter," probably nothing that would convince anyone who passed fifth grade and isn't a member of his cult.

I'll never understand the weird obsession people like him have for the idea that you can simply logic someone into anything and there is some magic combination of words they could use to "re-program" someone.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Snow Crash.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

GWBBQ posted:

That was a Weird Twitter tweet. @dril, I'm pretty sure.

e: Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

pentyne posted:

I'll never understand the weird obsession people like him have for the idea that you can simply logic someone into anything and there is some magic combination of words they could use to "re-program" someone.

It's crazy, but it's pretty simple. It goes like this.

-There are a finite number of minds that exist, and they collectively represent "mind design space". This is a very high-dimensional space, and every mind which could conceivably exist falls somewhere within it.

-A sufficiently powerful AI can predict the behavior of any mind in mind-design space.

-Consequently, the AI can prune away possibilities by interacting with you. If you were THIS mind you'd have said "whom" instead of "who", if you were THAT one you'd have used a period or a contraction or whatever.

-After enough time, the AI can find you precisely in mind-design space.

-Most people can be persuaded to believe some things with just a little cleverness, so it's probable that, in principle, most people can be persuaded to believe more things. Probably not "anybody" or "anything", though.

-Since the AI now knows precisely which mind occupies your head, it can simulate every possible conversation with you to see if ANY of them would persuade you of some target belief.

-Then the AI has that conversation. You presumably don't notice either portion of this because it seems like a normal conversation.

The first one has the feel of a known-plaintext attack, sort of, since the AI can build correlations between behaviors and vast swaths of mind space and choose the actions most likely to give it the information to eliminate you from that space. Certainly it's a lot like a search for an encryption key, except in a much larger space.

The second one is pure brute-force attacking every possible conversation. In practice it will almost certainly be a heuristic-guided search, with heuristics like "type 215C humans are susceptible to threats to their families", so the AI will test all conversations including that.

Overall it's only about as impossible as the other things they believe axiomatically.

• Locked thread