Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Looks like a river with an algal bloom. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I've said it before but I just cant get over how much it looks like pinto beans right after you dump 'em out of the can and they still have the slime on them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think the tablescapes tiles just inherently look like food.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ijyt posted:

I think the tablescapes tiles just inherently look like food.

The obvious next step would be to simply use actual food. Imagine doing battle on the hellscape of a Domino's 16" gluten free crust pepperoni and sausage pizza.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Here are more dodgy pictures of my delicious rhubarb pie tablescapes board.

I'll probably give up and soon get some buildings from https://www.sarissa-precision.com/Old_West/cat1603369_2365906.aspx if anyone can recommend cheapish 28-30mm old west buildings with cheap shipping to Australia, I wouldn't mind.

Otherwise, what do people normally use as the base for terrain pieces? I plan on making little bits of Cacti as hazardous terrain, but I don't know what's a good and commonly base - unless it's basically just fine to get any old plastic and go from there.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
We use 1/8" MDF in my neck of the woods. It's cheap and stiff but easy to shape and cut even with hand tools. It can warp with moisture and humidity though, so it's a good idea to seal it. We use watered down PVA glue for that.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
It's been ages since I made proper terrain, so newbie question: what's a good, sturdy material to use for terrain bases - and what do I need to cut and smooth said material?

I heard the stuff used for the back of picture frames is nice, but I don't know what it's called and wether I'd need a small saw or just a carpet knife in order to shape it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Luebbi posted:

It's been ages since I made proper terrain, so newbie question: what's a good, sturdy material to use for terrain bases - and what do I need to cut and smooth said material?

I heard the stuff used for the back of picture frames is nice, but I don't know what it's called and wether I'd need a small saw or just a carpet knife in order to shape it.

IIRC it's usally hardboard (or masonite, for the brand name) at the back of picture frames. The guy from 3T recommended 3/8" mdf for heavier stuff. You don't want the base bending and popping off your glued terrain.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Luebbi posted:

What ijyt said. If you have a dollar store nearby you could just grab some picture frames on the cheap and experiment with them before committing to any terrain you plan to keep around. You'll need at least a hand saw to cut them (if you have a power saw of any sort, so much the better) and for smoothing them out, definitely sand paper. A smoothing/sanding wheel bit from a dremel tool will speed things up considerably, but it'll kick up a bunch of dust and particles so wear a mask.

MDF board can also work, but you need to seal that with some watered-down white glue first or else it'll eventually warp when introduced to moisture. Lot more prep work for that, so I'd only suggest it if you're doing large pieces like 1 foot by 1 foot square pieces.

Germ
May 7, 2013

I use MDF because of how easily it can be cut and worked with hand tools. I don't seal with anything, and have never had any problems with warping before. Maybe it has more to do with the size of the piece you're using? I could see a tabletop warping, but for terrain bases, I've never had any issues.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Munki posted:

The obvious next step would be to simply use actual food. Imagine doing battle on the hellscape of a Domino's 16" gluten free crust pepperoni and sausage pizza.

My idea for my Tablescape city board was make it snowy to match my sisters of battle, with grey buildings. Bland and boring and imperial. Of course my other army that I am basing in the same way is Emperor's Children with Slaanesh daemons... so I had a bunch of cheap colorful coral formations from fish tanks that would be bursting from the ground.

... Now I'm thinking of making it a field of candy. Plateaus where the snow turns to white frosting with colorful bunting, sugary gumdrops twinkling with color. Ribbons of twizzlers forming unnatural vegetation. A goddamn santa's village made of gingerbread death.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LordAba posted:

A goddamn santa's village made of gingerbread death.

Do yes make gingerbrattle bakescape.

e: space marine gumdrop pods :3:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wazzu posted:

I'll probably give up and soon get some buildings from https://www.sarissa-precision.com/Old_West/cat1603369_2365906.aspx if anyone can recommend cheapish 28-30mm old west buildings with cheap shipping to Australia, I wouldn't mind.

Otherwise, what do people normally use as the base for terrain pieces? I plan on making little bits of Cacti as hazardous terrain, but I don't know what's a good and commonly base - unless it's basically just fine to get any old plastic and go from there.

CNC are local and make some buildings with a Mexican or Spanish monastery mud brick feel to them

http://www.miniaturescenery.com/CategoryPage.asp?Code=CAT_SH

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

I make the best space doll houses ever

Germ posted:

I use MDF because of how easily it can be cut and worked with hand tools. I don't seal with anything, and have never had any problems with warping before. Maybe it has more to do with the size of the piece you're using? I could see a tabletop warping, but for terrain bases, I've never had any issues.

MDF is the terrain base material of champions. It can warp if you spread a lot of moist material or paint directly on it, but most terrain pieces have some kind of spackle or foam or other materials meant to build up the dimension of the piece, which provides a good barrier between the wood and paint/PVA. (Watered down PVA can warp MDF as bad as anything, if you're going to seal it, use a spray-on sealer and put it on thick..)

Also, if you have MDF board that warps, you can usually fix it, even on a finished piece of terrain by counter-warping it on a corner of a heavy table or counter. Moisten the underside of the MDF with some water, lay on piece of folded up newspaper that doesn't reach the edges, then use a couple of C-clamps to clamp down the edges, counter-bowing the MDF over the newspaper piece and allow to dry thoroughly before removing the clamps. Use a couple pieces of foam or foamcore as pads under the clamps if it's a finished piece you don't want to damage.

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

Since I'm here, here's an Ork city that's slowly growing on our worktable as more orders keep coming in.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A Mean Cow posted:

Since I'm here, here's an Ork city that's slowly growing on our worktable as more orders keep coming in.

Ork'in hard to make a livvin :orks101:

You still make the best space doll houses

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

That video has lava and fire as well as shirtlessness and mulletry, I approve.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
That looks amazing. Do you have any more photos?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A Mean Cow posted:

That video has lava and fire as well as shirtlessness and mulletry, I approve.

there is no lava in that video.

Molten metal, coke, and slag, yes.

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

there is no lava in that video.

Molten metal, coke, and slag, yes.

So basically lava? Yes, I agree. Loved the lava.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Supreme Court posted:

If you search for pictures of Jimmy Barnes or Cold Chisel from the 1980s you should get a few photos :yayclod:

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

The Supreme Court posted:

edit:

edit: LAVA

A Mean Cow fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 20, 2015

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

A Mean Cow posted:

edit: LAVA

Why is this not on the board somewhere? Or some variation on each building?

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

Wazzu posted:

Why is this not on the board somewhere? Or some variation on each building?

Goddamn that's a good idea. I should really think up a good way to make a foundry with hot metal effects.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

A Mean Cow posted:

Goddamn that's a good idea. I should really think up a good way to make a foundry with hot metal effects.

Acrylic rod with red LEDs, covered in water effects or hot glue?

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

That's far better than my plans for an actual miniature arc-furnace, probably better from a legal standpoint as well.

Seriously I'm putting this together in my head, I might do it on a huge Ork display board I'm working on.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Or white LEDs with a filter for a hotter look.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Go the whole hog and make it smoke..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAWZOu7ba_A

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

I need to hang around you goons more often, I'm getting some great stuff here, and I don't just mean Jimmy Barnes.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

A Mean Cow posted:

I need to hang around you goons more often, I'm getting some great stuff here, and I don't just mean Jimmy Barnes.

It's a double edged sword: on one hand I get tons of inspiration from forums, on the other hand I spend tons of my spare time on forums instead of doing hobby stuff. Oh well...

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

I'll pretend that I have you guys on payroll scouring the internet for stuff for us, so next time I meet with a client and they ask if something is feasible, I can say "I'll have the boys down at the lab look into it."

I always wanted to have "boys down at the lab."

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

A Mean Cow posted:

I'll pretend that I have you guys on payroll scouring the internet for stuff for us, so next time I meet with a client and they ask if something is feasible, I can say "I'll have the boys down at the lab look into it."

Go full hog with the business jargon and say that you cloudsourced it. It is us. The hobby nerd cloud.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cloudsourced it out to the boys in the lab :yayclod:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

krushgroove posted:

So I'm thinking more about this and for making some really interesting 'flows" I'm wondering if a person could use some melted wax to get some really nice, chunky, viscous flows over a thing, and then make a mold of it in rtv silicone, and then cast it in acrylic from that. Maybe have to play with the idea later. Still do yes LED illuminate, that's always good fun.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

So I'm thinking more about this and for making some really interesting 'flows" I'm wondering if a person could use some melted wax to get some really nice, chunky, viscous flows over a thing, and then make a mold of it in rtv silicone, and then cast it in acrylic from that. Maybe have to play with the idea later. Still do yes LED illuminate, that's always good fun.

Embed some fibre optics too.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

What about EL Wire instead of LED? My thought was embedding a white strand or two in colored resin.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

A Mean Cow posted:

That, and a room full of ninja secret agents.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

A Mean Cow posted:

"I have top men working on it."

"Who?"

"Top. Men." :colbert:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Baron Snow posted:

What about EL Wire instead of LED? My thought was embedding a white strand or two in colored resin.

120V on a tiny hobby display seems sufficiently orc-y.

https://learn.adafruit.com/el-wire/using-el-wire

(Yeah, I know it's super low current.) :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Bad Munki posted:

I saw a tutorial once which used really, really thick plaster. They held the board at an angle so there was only a very slight incline for the "lava" to flow down as the plaster set, but it worked really, really well. Pity I can't find it now..