Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

The US needs a Super McDonalds where all their worldwide regional options are available for sampling. Just one in Vegas or Times Square

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

BossRighteous posted:

The US needs a Super McDonalds where all their worldwide regional options are available for sampling. Just one in Vegas or Times Square

squid ink burger

not burgin so hard now, are you?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BossRighteous posted:

gently caress the Ebi Filet-O, though (Shrimp Burger).

A misanthrope posted:

squid ink burger

not burgin so hard now, are you?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

oh shi:gizz:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

BossRighteous posted:

I think this would be pretty cool. Japanese mcdonalds was definitely the weirdest to me, they had like black sauce on poo poo or sometimes white stuff that wasnt mayonaise. I liked hong kongs breakfast menu (like somem kind of noodle and chicken thing that loving kicked rear end). bulgolgi burgers in korea (although they suck)

I wonder if mcdonalds in weirder places have weirder things

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
More images and/or gifs of Tokyo which appear to be Cyberpunk-like to varying degrees:

^^Tokyo Tower, Japan's second tallest structure (after the Tokyo Skytree)

^^Bike racks

^^Japanese Street Robot (I WANT TO BELIEVE)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

I think this would be pretty cool. Japanese mcdonalds was definitely the weirdest to me, they had like black sauce on poo poo or sometimes white stuff that wasnt mayonaise. I liked hong kongs breakfast menu (like somem kind of noodle and chicken thing that loving kicked rear end). bulgolgi burgers in korea (although they suck)

I wonder if mcdonalds in weirder places have weirder things

A time-warped McDonald's that had every failed product of theirs would be pretty surreal. Get an Arch Deluxe to go with my McPizza (yes, this was a thing).

Japanese McDonald's is an experience, though. You will never see happier people than the people working there, you are basically guaranteed to have your food within 4 minutes of lining up (and it's usually closer to 2), and the food is always picture-perfect; no mushed burgers or soggy fries ever. And it's cheaper than McDonald's in Canada.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Accretionist posted:

More images and/or gifs of Tokyo which appear to be Cyberpunk-like to varying degrees:
There are a few good tumblrs which are full of cool Japan industrial/graphics design poo poo but unfortunately there's some anime mixed in the pile which is par for the course so I can't link them because goons are like retarded picky eaters children who must keep their peas and carrots on the plate from touching lest they explode into an apoplectic OCD fits I'm looking at you Franco.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFu66ye6YWM

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Agreeing that Japanese McDonald's is a sublime experience. Teriyaki burgers are also delicious as hell.

The KFC's in Japan are amazing as well.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Lineup for KFC on Christmas Day. Those people probably reserved their buckets back in October before they sold out.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_%28robot%29

quote:

During the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show, it was announced that the United States government had expressed interest in purchasing HAL suits.[14] In March 2011, CYBERDYNE presented a legs-only HAL version for the disabled, health care professionals and factory workers.[15] In November 2011, HAL was selected to be used for cleanup work at the site of the Fukushima nuclear accident.[16] During the Japan Robot Week exhibition in Tokyo in October 2012, a redesigned version of HAL was presented, designed specifically for the Fukushima cleanup.[7] In March 2013, ten Japanese hospitals conducted clinical tests of the newer legs-only HAL system.[17] In late 2014, HAL exoskeletons modified for construction use entered service with the Japanese construction contractor Obayashi Corporation.[6]

Agreeing that Japanese McDonald's is a sublime experience. Teriyaki burgers are also delicious as hell.

Is the food immaculate? I've heard there's stiff laws about false advertising so everything has to look like the pictures.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

uhhhh i just read HAL and Cyberdyne and kinda got stuck on that

great marketing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Accretionist posted:

^^Tokyo Tower, Japan's second tallest structure (after the Tokyo Skytree)

Also the building most likely to be attacked by Godzilla or any other random kaiju. Seriously, monsters can't stay away from it.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I appreciate Uniqlo products and design sensibilities (MUJI can go suck a gently caress)
http://utme.uniqlo.com/t/M0d5JYY ヤメレ
http://utme.uniqlo.com/t/KFloB1E <body> </body>
http://utme.uniqlo.com/t/JABFliI NO SLEEP, NO LIFE
http://utme.uniqlo.com/t/JRYnCUM I do not have a point card. Please warm up Bento. Please put the chopsticks. Recept is not required.

archerb
Mar 3, 2005

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

tokyo is vast

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Japan and America: Connected by teddy bears

Also I kinda want to move to Japan because I'm already a workholic

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Is the food immaculate? I've heard there's stiff laws about false advertising so everything has to look like the pictures.

I don't know about the laws about false advertising but yeah everything was immaculate. If I wanted to get all :goonsay: about it I would thank the living wage the folks who worked there received.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
It pisses me off that all these american fast food places were allowed to open in japan. if i was the emperor, i would have forbade it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Accretionist posted:

My wife and I ate there way too often in the 2.5 years we lived there (we did eat other things, but McDonald's definitely had a disproportionate advantage) and not once do I remember getting non-perfect food. Eating out in Japan in fast food or family restaurant-type deals is streamlined as gently caress. Basically think about your perfect visit to your fast food restaurant of choice; no waiting, no bullshit, food was perfect. That's every time in Japan.

Once while I was getting ready to leave the clerk at the register noticed me, bolted from behind the counter at a world record pace, just to get ahead of me...so he could hold open the door for me. I'd paid under $5 for my food.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Japan seems like a really lovely country

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
KFC in all of Asia is better than American KFC. Still, why would you ever go to a foreign country to eat a fast food restaurant lol.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
The Buddhist temple complex at Nara, Japan is one place that I really want to visit during my life.

"Wikipedia posted:

The Great Buddha Hall (Daibutsuden) has been rebuilt twice after fire. The current building was finished in 1709, and although immense—57 m long and 50 m wide—it is actually 30% smaller than its predecessor. Until 1998, it was the world's largest wooden building.

"Wikipedia posted:

The 16 m (52 ft) high statue was built through eight castings over three years, the head and neck being cast together as a separate element. The making of the statue was started first in Shigaraki. After enduring multiple fires and earthquakes, the construction was eventually resumed in Nara in 745, and the Buddha was finally completed in 751. A year later, in 752, the eye-opening ceremony was held with an attendance of 10,000 people to celebrate the completion of the Buddha. The Indian priest Bodhisena performed the eye-opening for Emperor Shōmu. The project nearly bankrupted Japan's economy, consuming most of the available bronze of the time.

The original complex also had two pagodas that, according to the historical record, were 100 m tall and may have been the second-tallest human-made structures in the world at the time behind the Great Pyramid at Giza, Egypt.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

KFC in all of Asia is better than American KFC. Still, why would you ever go to a foreign country to eat a fast food restaurant lol.

My wife and I worked really lovely hours and McD's was the only thing still open in our area when we got out, pretty much (although we did have other things as much as circumstances allowed). We'd do groceries as much as possible but Japanese fridges are loving tiny and basically designed around the idea that you have a stay-at-home waifu doing the groceries every day.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
im the crippling pressure to conform in the OP

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

It pisses me off that all these american fast food places were allowed to open in japan. if i was the emperor, i would have forbade it.

Assuredly to preserve the AUTHENTIC NIPPON-ESE STOREFRONTS:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

univbee posted:

My wife and I worked really lovely hours and McD's was the only thing still open in our area when we got out, pretty much (although we did have other things as much as circumstances allowed). We'd do groceries as much as possible but Japanese fridges are loving tiny and basically designed around the idea that you have a stay-at-home waifu doing the groceries every day.

The last time I was in Japan I was interning at a company there and the way from my apartment to work was just lined with awesome food places so I never really felt the need to go to a American fast food place.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

The last time I was in Japan I was interning at a company there and the way from my apartment to work was just lined with awesome food places so I never really felt the need to go to a American fast food place.

We were a little too rural for this, also we had no sick leave so we passed on some things for fear of allergy/food poisoning loving up our jobs.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I distinctly remember 2 things about Japan in general when I went there:

-it's clean as gently caress
-I always felt very safe

also, wanna try that capsule hotel at least once.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

I lived there for two years :shrug:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

univbee posted:

We were a little too rural for this, also we had no sick leave so we passed on some things for fear of allergy/food poisoning loving up our jobs.

Yeah I get you, and I didn't get sick once but I have traveled a shitload in my short life so I just assume my immune system is used to foreign crap being shoveled in it.

I lived there for two years :shrug:

Last time I was there it was for 6 months, but as said earlier it depends on where you were.

EDIT: Is it nice being stationed in Japan? Iv had friends who have said is great, and others who have said that Korea is a much nicer place to get stuck with.

Venom Snake fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 19, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've always loved traditional Japanese carpentry tools but there's no point in me buying any because I'm too much of a useless klutz to ever put them to good use.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

EDIT: Is it nice being stationed in Japan? Iv had friends who have said is great, and others who have said that Korea is a much nicer place to get stuck with.

I have a sneaking suspicion this is highly dependent on where you are specifically

Like if you're in the JET program and end up with a bad choice you can get stuck in a literal college dorm with a curfew and a "no alcohol" policy and I can't imagine a worse hell.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

japan sure is wild about automobiles!

and motorcycle culture is alive and well!

which reminds me that japan invented the greatest band ever

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Joe Don Baker?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Snowy Tokyo:

Snowy Kyoto:

Quiet Tokyo:

????:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

This looks more like a horror movie prop than a practical tool.

• Locked thread