Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
neither cerrone or bendo even put enough effort into anything to deserve to win so who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

neither cerrone or bendo even put enough effort into anything to deserve to win so who cares

yeah at first i thought that maybe cerrone was just overtrained or something, and then i remembered that he's always a useless turd if he isn't fighting someone who is garbage.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm just glad he'll be able to take a rest without also getting back in line again. Assuming he does take that rest, which he should.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Bundt Cake posted:

that's why it should have been a draw

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I don't care for Benson Henderson and hope he goes away to spread the word of Christ to aboriginals somewhere

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

as much as I like seeing him do cool stuff like take a fight out of nowhere, or hunt man as prey (I am assuming he has to keep upping the adrenalin), Cerrone really should take a minute and let himself recover. I am glad he's got a breath here.

seconding the "it's cool seeing Conor go from a cool prospect to the top contender" thing, though it's not my first it's my favorite so far I think. He's a lot more exciting than fighters this dominant usually are, since he doesn't seem to mind taking (usually pretty damned smart) risks.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It's p much this, yeah. Cerrone lost the second round by being very tentative and letting Bendo push him back. He won the first and third by doing more damage. Bendo landed a lot, but they were mostly ineffective check strikes or jon jones poo poo.

That said, round 1 probably could have gone either way as well.

Also, I am understanding less and less why Conor is so marketable last night. All his poo poo-talk spots during the Packers game were super awkward and stilted, and he just acted like a huge weirdo going into the fight. Like, he comes up with good poo poo-talk but it just doesn't flow out very well which makes him seem mean but not charismatic. I guess it's enough to fool the 90% of America that can't string together a sentence without eleven f-bombs, but he just seems like a lucky yokel who's riding the train UFC bought for him for all he can manage.

His off-the-cuff trash talk is only slightly better than Michael "Toilet Store" Bisping's. Seriously, Decorated NCAA Wrestler Dennis Siver managed to score two takedowns on him, Conor' fall is going to be Icarian (wrestling is the sun). What are the chances that the hype will make for an insane underdog betting line? Like how Edgar was +500 in his rematch with BJ.

Just doing some quick research, Ricardo Lamas, Frankie Edgar, Clay Guida, Nik Lentz, and Ben Askren have called out McGregor, he's the new Bisping. I also see that he took a page from the Chael Sonnen PR playbook: crush nobodies for the highlight reel or fight for the championship on PPV, no in-between.

The judging was terrible and thus hilarious all night, like almost as bad as Texas in boxing. I really hoped they would cut to Edgar looking smugly into the camera after that decision, would have been amazing.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 19, 2015

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Nik The Carnie Lentz v. Conner Greg is the fight the world wants dana...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Lamas video reminds me a lot of Buffalo Bill

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

red19fire posted:

I also see that he took a page from the Chael Sonnen PR playbook: crush nobodies for the highlight reel or fight for the championship on PPV, no in-between.

Uhhh Chael's beaten a lot of good fighters man.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I really hope the rumors of Cowboy vs Khabib doesn't happen because I like both dudes and don't want either to lose

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Apparently both Melendez and Edgar had Bendo winning on the postfight show v :) v

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

canoshiz posted:

Apparently both Melendez and Edgar had Bendo winning on the postfight show v :) v

Like 5/6 fighters picked DC to beat Jon Jones so

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

red19fire posted:

His off-the-cuff trash talk is only slightly better than Michael "Toilet Store" Bisping's. Seriously, Decorated NCAA Wrestler Dennis Siver managed to score two takedowns on him, Conor' fall is going to be Icarian (wrestling is the sun). What are the chances that the hype will make for an insane underdog betting line? Like how Edgar was +500 in his rematch with BJ.

Just doing some quick research, Ricardo Lamas, Frankie Edgar, Clay Guida, Nik Lentz, and Ben Askren have called out McGregor, he's the new Bisping. I also see that he took a page from the Chael Sonnen PR playbook: crush nobodies for the highlight reel or fight for the championship on PPV, no in-between.

The judging was terrible and thus hilarious all night, like almost as bad as Texas in boxing. I really hoped they would cut to Edgar looking smugly into the camera after that decision, would have been amazing.

He was briefly taken down by a guy he wasn't showing any respect to at all, with good reason as he defended each takedown attempt easily. If you are just throwing at a guy and showing off flashy kicks you maybe aren't showing your best takedown defense.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Like 5/6 fighters picked DC to beat Jon Jones so

Not after the fight happened, which is what he said.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Chexoid posted:

Uhhh Chael's beaten a lot of good fighters man.

It's from this interview a while ago:

quote:

When people would ask me, I would go one of two ways; I would either go after the champion, or I would say I wanted to fight the worst guy with the most appalling record in the biggest venue for the largest paycheck. Why? Because it's also a truthful answer. You don't need to fight Number 2, 3, 4, 5, 6-10. Either fight Number 1 or fight Number 20. You want to get the championship, or you want a fight that will make you look great in there. If there's not an architecture, you've got to create one.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Not after the fight happened, which is what he said.

I'm saying fighters are not always right. Like in this case, where Benson Henderson got thoroughly owned and defeated by a man who wears a cowboy hat with Budweiser logos on it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Nobody was thoroughly owned in that fight.

Pelleas
Apr 24, 2005
It looked like a mid-day sparring match and neither looked tired at the end of it. I only thought Benson was going to win since he was more active.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
conor mcgregor is an incredibly entertaining striker and good for the ufc and the fw division and that's usually enough for people but for some reason web fans have this overwhelming need to watch this guy get wrestled which you don't see with other great strikers who are bad at wrestling like condit, matt brown etc. i think it's because they've been saying mcgregor is bad since his first fight in the ufc and as he's been proving them wrong ever since by dismantling pretty good fighters like siver, holloway and poirier they see it as a surefire, though belated, way to say they were right all along. surely it's not because he's cocky or arrogant or whatever as you could use that to characterize most of the great and universally loved fighters through history

e: i'm mostly talking about the gdt btw

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 19, 2015

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

red19fire posted:

His off-the-cuff trash talk is only slightly better than Michael "Toilet Store" Bisping's.
I happen to like Bisping's off the cuff work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr62C5iT3sw

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Mean Bean Machine posted:

conor mcgregor is an incredibly entertaining striker and good for the ufc and the fw division and that's usually enough for people but for some reason web fans have this overwhelming need to watch this guy get wrestled which you don't see with other great strikers who are bad at wrestling like condit, matt brown etc. i think it's because they've been saying mcgregor is bad since his first fight in the ufc and as he's been proving them wrong ever since by dismantling pretty good fighters like siver, holloway and poirier they see it as a surefire, though belated, way to say they were right all along. surely it's not because he's cocky or arrogant or whatever as you could use that to characterize most of the great and universally loved fighters through history

e: i'm mostly talking about the gdt btw

i think he is a cool fighter but i also think he is slightly less believable than bruce buffer when he speaks

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Wanting to see someone fight a good wrestle/boxer when they haven't fought any good ones and are about to leapfrog their way into a title shot off of a win over Siver isn't necessarily some internet revenge trip, that's a perfectly rational thing to expect a contender to go through before getting a title shot. Yeah I'm sure there's "haters" out there who are convinced he would never survive that kind of fight and want to gloat over it if he loses...but his fans aren't exactly vindicated by him NOT going through that fight. There's just as many reasons for someone who loves him to want to fight a real wrestler as someone who hates him. If I was a true blue Conor superfan right now I'd be saying "give us Frankie, give us Mendes, give us Lamas. My boy will starch them too no question."

But all things considered I don't really mind because Aldo deserves this payday, and if you have to protect a super popular guy to do it then so be it. Just don't be telling me he's had a tough road to get there or that there's no questions at all about whether he truly deserves the shot more than others.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 19, 2015

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
good on bj for not going out on the edgar loss btw

mewse
May 2, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

good on bj for not going out on the edgar loss btw

Well really good on BJ for not getting in a mayhem-esque situation with some skank, but instead getting caught inebriated in a hotel room with another man

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Robert Analog posted:

Bendo looked like when your friend sucks at street fighter so they just mash low kick and still win sometimes

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
The thing with Conor not fighting any wrestlers is that for every 5-fighter chunk of fedderweight rankings, there's at least one wrestle-boxer he was strategically not matched up against.

Also, I'm pretty sure BJ hit that dude for saying something other than Honey Bunches of Oats (With Almonds) is the best cereal in the world.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he wanted to find out if bj could jump out of a pool but he asked him like just after he ate are you tryin to give him a cramp on purpose??

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wanting to see someone fight a good wrestle/boxer when they haven't fought any good ones and are about to leapfrog their way into a title shot off of a win over Siver isn't necessarily some internet revenge trip, that's a perfectly rational thing to expect a contender to go through before getting a title shot. Yeah I'm sure there's "haters" out there who are convinced he would never survive that kind of fight and want to gloat over it if he loses...but his fans aren't exactly vindicated by him NOT going through that fight. There's just as many reasons for someone who loves him to want to fight a real wrestler as someone who hates him. If I was a true blue Conor superfan right now I'd be saying "give us Frankie, give us Mendes, give us Lamas. My boy will starch them too no question."

But all things considered I don't really mind because Aldo deserves this payday, and if you have to protect a super popular guy to do it then so be it. Just don't be telling me he's had a tough road to get there or that there's no questions at all about whether he truly deserves the shot more than others.

Agreed, I'd love to see McGregor fight Mendes just to see how it'd go. It'd be nice to see how he deals with wrestling meat tanks or even if he can

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

At this point, the only person who is getting passed over for the shot is Frankie Edgar. All of the other top contenders either just fought Aldo (Lamas, Mendes) or lost their streaks (Bermudez, Cub). Sure the UFC protected Conor, but the elite in the division also helped him by removing each other from contention.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Conor should've fought either of Lamas or Bermudez instead of Siver

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Mean Bean Machine posted:

The UFC strapped a rocket to his back and protected him more than anybody since Brock. If you can't see why that bothers people I don't know what to tell you. If an American or Brazilian Koed those three fighters you just listed they'd still be three to four fights away from a title shot. Fans wanting to see him actually tested (by a middling wrestler or top guy in the weight class) before stealing a title shot and getting pasted by Aldo isn't unreasonable.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
ufc could have stopped all this doubting of their golden boy by at least having him fight elkins. if he can't beat elkins, lmao. if he can, you can point to him screaming when someone dares cast aspersions. what a waste

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Agreed posted:

as much as I like seeing him do cool stuff like take a fight out of nowhere, or hunt man as prey (I am assuming he has to keep upping the adrenalin), Cerrone really should take a minute and let himself recover. I am glad he's got a breath here.

seconding the "it's cool seeing Conor go from a cool prospect to the top contender" thing, though it's not my first it's my favorite so far I think. He's a lot more exciting than fighters this dominant usually are, since he doesn't seem to mind taking (usually pretty damned smart) risks.

I've enjoyed few fighter career arcs as much as Charles Oliveira going from cool prospect to massively overhyped to everybody saying he sucks back to cool prospect.

speaking of "beat elkins"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I've enjoyed few fighter career arcs as much as Charles Oliveira going from cool prospect to massively overhyped to everybody saying he sucks back to cool prospect.

speaking of "beat elkins"

His KO loss to Cub is essentially a metaphor for his entire career, especially if looped into a gif so it happens over and over.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He put a calf slicer on someone in the UFC. For that, he's alright in my little notebook.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Fight Night last night put up a 1.7 overnight rating, making it probably the most-watched UFC event on FS1.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Seltzer posted:

The UFC strapped a rocket to his back and protected him more than anybody since Brock.

Protected Brock? By putting him in there against the former world champion (and still good) Frank Mir in his 2nd professional fight?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Fight Night last night put up a 1.7 overnight rating, making it probably the most-watched UFC event on FS1.

Mick Diaz, bringer of ratings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm not really sure why someone who's most notable for intelligent career management and well-spoken promos gets compared to Nick Diaz.

• Locked thread