Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And addicted to speed, like all brilliant übermenschen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015

quote:

As soon as the money was exchanged, Hickman drove off, pushing Marion's body out of the car at the end of the street. The coroner later testified that she had been dead for about 12 hours. Her arms and legs had been cut off and she had been disemboweled and stuffed with rags. Her eyes were wired open so as to make her appear alive.[3] Hickman later said that he had strangled her and cut her throat first, but he believed that she was still alive when he began to dismember her. Her arms and legs were found on December 18 in Elysian Park wrapped in newspaper.

What the gently caress, Ayn Rand??

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Screaming Idiot posted:

Because altruism isn't a sickness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_R._Price

quote:

George Robert Price (October 6, 1922 – January 6, 1975) was an American population geneticist.

Originally a physical chemist and later a science journalist, he moved to London in 1967, where he worked in theoretical biology at the Galton Laboratory, making three important contributions: first, rederiving W.D. Hamilton's work on kin selection with a new Price equation; second, introducing (with John Maynard Smith) the concept of the evolutionarily stable strategy (ESS), a central concept in game theory; and third, formalising Fisher's fundamental theorem of natural selection.

After converting to radical Christianity and giving all his possessions to the poor, he committed suicide.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
People with bipolar or schizoaffective disorder who are having manic episodes give their life savings away to the homeless all the time. It just doesn't get reported. Most psychotic behaviour is just weird and benign, a small percentage is altruistic, an even smaller percentage is violent, but it's only the last group that make headlines.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Those crazy rescue ladies who fill their homes top to bottom with stray cats and who dedicate their lives to cat care are a good example of charitable crazies. Their motives are all good, but the reality is a house loaded with poo poo and fleas.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
'64? '65? You're babies.

1960 represent! :cheers:

The Sea Peoples were thought to be Phoenicians for a very long time. Then Philistines. Now--well, it's pretty complex.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/seapeople.htm

That they sometimes brought household goods with them is eerily reminiscent of the Vikings, who also brought their homes along when they sailed for a new area. They clearly intended to colonize wherever they ended up.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Well of course you know about the Sea Peoples, you were there.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Khazar-khum posted:

'64? '65? You're babies.

The Sea Peoples were thought to be Phoenicians for a very long time. Then Philistines. Now--well, it's pretty complex.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/seapeople.htm

That they sometimes brought household goods with them is eerily reminiscent of the Vikings, who also brought their homes along when they sailed for a new area. They clearly intended to colonize wherever they ended up.

I don't know how eerie it is. Large scale migrations with a military element have been a thing for ages, the Sea Peoples are just one of the earliest recorded examples we have. Look at the Germanic migrations into the Roman Empire; the migrations of Iranian and Turkic peoples into Northern India or Turkic peoples through Persia and into the Middle East as a whole, or the people we know as Aztecs originating from somewhere in the Southwestern USA and migrating into the Valley of Mexico. (Or heck, the colonization of the Americas by various Europeans and the Russian Far East by Russians)

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Khazar-khum posted:

'64? '65? You're babies.

So how was it to fight the Dinosaurs for Civil Rights?

These recent crime posts remind me for the Investigation Discovery show "true Evil," some of you that like are interested in this stuff might want to check that show out if you can find it. The Women Serial Killers episode was especially haunting, as a lot of them just had a bunch of children, and then tortured and killed a bunch of them. I can't remember the specific one but I remember one of them was out of jealousy for taking the husband's attention away.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I don't know how eerie it is. Large scale migrations with a military element have been a thing for ages, the Sea Peoples are just one of the earliest recorded examples we have. Look at the Germanic migrations into the Roman Empire; the migrations of Iranian and Turkic peoples into Northern India or Turkic peoples through Persia and into the Middle East as a whole, or the people we know as Aztecs originating from somewhere in the Southwestern USA and migrating into the Valley of Mexico. (Or heck, the colonization of the Americas by various Europeans and the Russian Far East by Russians)

I posted it as weirdness because so much of the history of western civilization revolves around things that happened around the edges of the Mediterranean over the past four thousand years, yet you never hear anything about the Sea Peoples. And again, given the loads of how much we know about other groups in the same area at the same time, it's strange that we know so little about them.

Speaking of early folks with boats, it's amazing that Madagascar is so close to the cradle of various hominids over the past several million years but was only settled by humans 2,500 years ago--who came from Indonesia.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Avshalom posted:

People with bipolar or schizoaffective disorder who are having manic episodes give their life savings away to the homeless all the time. It just doesn't get reported. Most psychotic behaviour is just weird and benign, a small percentage is altruistic, an even smaller percentage is violent, but it's only the last group that make headlines.

There are also a lot more protections in place when it comes to people who might give altruistically even when it's a bad idea. Altruistic organ donation, for instance, is outlawed or strictly controlled in many parts of the world. The Jesus Christians made headlines after a documentary filmmaker and columnist documented their attempts to circumvent the regulations.

They're fairly benign as cults go, but some of their practices are pretty hosed up. For instance, they had a habit of holding mock trials where the punishment, generally something along the lines of sixty lashes, would be carried out on volunteers, presumably for the sake of publicity and exhibitionism.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Toba Catastrophe theory. Also the supposed genetic bottleneck in humanity that was caused by the entire human population being reduced to just around 10,000 people about 70,000 years ago.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Republican Vampire posted:

There are also a lot more protections in place when it comes to people who might give altruistically even when it's a bad idea. Altruistic organ donation, for instance, is outlawed or strictly controlled in many parts of the world. The Jesus Christians made headlines after a documentary filmmaker and columnist documented their attempts to circumvent the regulations.

They're fairly benign as cults go, but some of their practices are pretty hosed up. For instance, they had a habit of holding mock trials where the punishment, generally something along the lines of sixty lashes, would be carried out on volunteers, presumably for the sake of publicity and exhibitionism.

Haha, I was handed a DVD by these guys a few years back. Their music videos are brilliantly terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W7V7eMLHzU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Kanine posted:

The Toba Catastrophe theory. Also the supposed genetic bottleneck in humanity that was caused by the entire human population being reduced to just around 10,000 people about 70,000 years ago.

Most of the humans (and all of the other hominids in genus Homo) who moved out of Africa perished, which means that for most of Homo sapiens history, the Khoisan people of southern Africa have been the majority of the species even though there are only 100,000 of them today:

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/141204/ncomms6692/full/ncomms6692.html

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Rabbit Hill posted:

It's funny how mental disorder never gives people the urge to, like, build orphanages by hand or feed every homeless person on their home block or something. Instead of having the urge to break into women's apartments to rape them in their sleep, how about breaking in to tuck them in and sing them lullabies? Why's it always got to be rape and torture, mayhem and murder?

In addition to everything others have said, psychological diagnoses are based (almost?) entirely on self-reporting. There's no current way to look into someone's head and determine that they have a psychological illness. To be diagnosed, the patient needs to feel that their behavior is problematic and seek medical help for it. Of course, in the 'states they also need to be able to afford to do this.

A mental disorder that causes altruism without ruining the quality of the patients life in other ways isn't a disorder. It's just their personality.

This self-reporting model is muddied by the idea of post-hoc application of labels like criminally insane or what have you, but those are matters of law, not medicine.

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW
I'm amazed that I've never heard about this before. Crazy disappearance case from my hometown. No one's been able to identify the book found at the scene, and there's still no explanation for the bizarre objects that kept showing up in the forest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orillia_Incident
I'm definitely not sleeping tonight. :tinfoil:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Steampunk iPhone posted:

I'm amazed that I've never heard about this before. Crazy disappearance case from my hometown. No one's been able to identify the book found at the scene, and there's still no explanation for the bizarre objects that kept showing up in the forest.

Yeah, slang terms for gay men keep me up at night, too. I think your link is screwed up..

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Steampunk iPhone posted:

You accidentally your URL

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OR WAS IT?

The only incident in Orillia seems to be a groping at the grocery store:

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2014/09/24/police-seeking-info-on-incident

Though I would prefer to believe that the mystery here is why user Steampunk iPhone had a list of gay slurs on his clipboard ready to paste.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

or how about you mind your own business, you... you uh

E: Sausage jockey (U.K.)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Steampunk iPhone posted:

You won't be sleeping tonight, but apparently not for the reasons you claim

shock.wav
May 25, 2009

moller posted:

In addition to everything others have said, psychological diagnoses are based (almost?) entirely on self-reporting. There's no current way to look into someone's head and determine that they have a psychological illness. To be diagnosed, the patient needs to feel that their behavior is problematic and seek medical help for it. Of course, in the 'states they also need to be able to afford to do this.

A mental disorder that causes altruism without ruining the quality of the patients life in other ways isn't a disorder. It's just their personality.

This self-reporting model is muddied by the idea of post-hoc application of labels like criminally insane or what have you, but those are matters of law, not medicine.

This is a recurring theme in House.

Dr. House, on a few occasions, argues that selflessness and generosity are symptoms of a neurological condition, and such attributes can never occur naturally.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

shock.wav posted:

Dr. House, on a few occasions, argues that selflessness and generosity are symptoms of a neurological condition, and such attributes can never occur naturally.

Please don't watch House for the science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_selection

Altruism is a very useful strategy because it helps pass on some of your genes, even if you will not be the one personally carrying it out. Your body is but a host for the genes to persist in the world.

It's also worth considering that humans don't organise them into just families, but troupes, and clans, and tribes. A lone family is easy pickings, a whole village is a good survival strategy. So we even share our resources with those we are not related to, because what helps the entire society can help your family as well.

Vampire bats can do similar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocal_altruism
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/280/1753/20122573

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Austin_yogurt_shop_murders

The 1991 Austin yogurt shop murders refers to the deaths of four teenage girls in a yogurt shop in Austin, Texas, on December 6, 1991, after which the shop was set aflame.

The initial investigation spanned nearly eight years. Two men initially confessed to the murders and were convicted, but they were released by 2009 due to lack of evidence. No new charges have been filed and local media coverage remains ongoing.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Steampunk iPhone posted:

This thread has spawned its own meta-mystery: I can't find any reference to what you're talking about other than a teen girl who went missing and a lady who went missing while walking her dog.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RNG posted:

This thread has spawned its own meta-mystery: I can't find any reference to what you're talking about other than a teen girl who went missing and a lady who went missing while walking her dog.

Morons, your bus is leaving.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Avshalom posted:

I remember a TV news story from when I was a kid where some young guy was giving away his inheritance by just giving fists full of cash to random strangers or to anyone who would ask. I don't remember any other details.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Steampunk iPhone posted:

I want this to be real and not a troll. It's always more fun when it's something local that a goon has firsthand knowledge of. Unless it's something like what goes on in my town, in which case the mystery isn't so fun. There's whole mountain of uncaught serial rapists that have been active in my small city since the 70s, none of whom have been caught. Doesn't seem like our police force has put a lot of effort into catching any of these guys though, certainly there isn't a lot of information on any of the cases, even the most recent ones.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I want this to be real and not a troll. It's always more fun when it's something local that a goon has firsthand knowledge of. Unless it's something like what goes on in my town, in which case the mystery isn't so fun. There's whole mountain of uncaught serial rapists that have been active in my small city since the 70s, none of whom have been caught. Doesn't seem like our police force has put a lot of effort into catching any of these guys though, certainly there isn't a lot of information on any of the cases, even the most recent ones.

That sounds like something you should talk to your local media about. Where is it you mean?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

shock.wav posted:

This theory pretty much built Ayn Rand's career.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
Dunno if this has been posted yet in this thread, it's sort of a different idea of ~unnerving~, but it did creep me out a little bit somehow?
What if we actually do live in the end times, but a way more subtle way.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Billmac posted:

Dunno if this has been posted yet in this thread, it's sort of a different idea of ~unnerving~, but it did creep me out a little bit somehow?

Don't worry--things will shake up again in the Water Wars.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Billmac posted:

Yeah, this was maybe plausible prior to the election of George Bush Jr. in the United States. Plus we're going to run out of zinc and probably aluminum in the next 30 years in addition to dying for somebody's water profits. Really, life on earth is just going to get more and more interesting.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Billmac posted:

Man, gently caress Fukuyma and his regressive neocon bullshit.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Fukuyama didn't literally mean that history had come to a halt; the history he was referring to is the history of ideas. As far as political ideas are concerned he was more or less right. What new mass political ideologies have come along since the Soviet Union's dismantling?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Quit leaving everyone hanging you chutney ferret

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

cloudchamber posted:

Fukuyama didn't literally mean that history had come to a halt; the history he was referring to is the history of ideas. As far as political ideas are concerned he was more or less right. What new mass political ideologies have come along since the Soviet Union's dismantling?

But at the same time, isn't it massively egotistical and self-centred to assume that the current epoch is basically it? It seems a very strange argument to me, assuming total and prescient wisdom on our parts, almost akin to fortune-telling. You can't think of any way things could develop or change so QED, it won't? Apart from an implicit assumption about the rate of production of new political ideas and the evolution of current ones. Marx's ideas gestated for half a century before giving rise to a socialist state, and our current governments are quite different to their forms of a century ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, it's really too soon to tell what will happen next. Capitalism is a pretty lousy messiah, though, and that's Fukuyama's big theme. Neoliberalism causes all kinds of bullshit nobody really predicted, like ISIS, and requires serious modification of it's to continue.

I expect that environmental catastrophe will spur the next change in how people organize themselves, as capitalism is really good at making people think of global warming as nobody's problem.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Quit leaving everyone hanging you chutney ferret

I'm sorry you guys, there wasn't a lot I could find. However I did try my best and russeled up some old news articles. Looks like I was unfair to the police, they did do some arresting in these cases. I live in a college town so there are a lot of young women to target. And not just a lot of women but a lot of really intoxicated women who make an easy target. We have more bars per capita than anywhere else in the country. My old town is serious about getting shitfaced.

Here is a breakdown of our serial rapists from the 70's to 1996, some of the guys were caught but not all: http://onlineathens.com/stories/111900/new_1119000034.shtml
Here's another article about our long history of serial rapes: http://onlineathens.com/stories/111900/new_1119000029.shtml

This is part of the most recent string of rapes, a man posing as a taxi driver and picking up young women from downtown. Instead of taking them home, he kidnaps and rapes them. One of the ladies was dumped in a friend of mine's yard, out in the country, and had to call the police from their house. This guy has yet to be caught.

2007 Taxi rapes: http://www.redandblack.com/news/second-woman-abducted-by-man-in-white-van/article_5383c5b5-a612-5579-82cc-0a63c698bd29.html?TNNoMobile

And then the guy they thought did it had an alibi. His alibi was assaulting another set of women elsewhere in town: http://onlineathens.com/stories/112807/madison_20071128022.shtml

It happened again in 2010, in a different van. The question is, is it the same guy? http://onlineathens.com/stories/090610/new_704980803.shtml

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

cloudchamber posted:

It's been 20 years since then, what in the world are you (or he) talking about?