Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

What's the 2-month-out opinion on the Nexus 6? Kicking around the idea of getting one.
My wife loves hers still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nmfree posted:

They sent me an email today:

That doesn't seem sketchy at all!
Considering the wait time I'm not surprised. My card hasn't been charged and I got the charger a week ago.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Is the newest version of maps hosed up or something? Every time I say "OK Google navigate to xxx" it brings up the map and then just sits there with the arrow not moving and not saying anything.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I went to Nexus 6 from iPhone 4 and it's like going from a taxi to a jet plane. If I had to complain I guess the power button is kind of small and in a weird position but I think that's just the Apple user in me talking.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
close the thread

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

What's the 2-month-out opinion on the Nexus 6? Kicking around the idea of getting one.
I have huge hands and I like mostly stock Android (I'm using Nova launcher to remove unneeded home screens) so it's perfect for me.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I, too, have a Nexus 6. I was all set to buy a Moto X 2014 64GB, but when I saw that I could get a bigger phone, with wireless charging, for an extra $50, I figured it was a no brainer for me.

Although, I gotta say - I hardly use the wireless charging - turbo charging is NUTS, and it's completely replaced and sort of conventional charging. Battery easily lasts a day and a half and I get about 4-5 hours of screen-on-time until it's dead. Screen brightness is at 50%, yadda yadda anecdotal data yadda.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

SB35 posted:

Is the newest version of maps hosed up or something? Every time I say "OK Google navigate to xxx" it brings up the map and then just sits there with the arrow not moving and not saying anything.

If I say navigate to mine it will search the internet. If I say take me to or directions to it will actually bring up the map.

This is of course after it takes ten minutes to think about what I said. I'm on a turbo and I don't know what's changed but it feels way slower than my old moto x.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm trying to figure out if I want to keep rolling with this Nexus 4 in 2015 or go to an iPhone 6 (not Plus).

I've never replaced my battery and ever since I upgraded to Lollipop (which removed the bug where the battery reported >10% after the Camera was used) and stopped using run/fitness trackers that constantly hit up the GPS, I haven't had any battery issues. I certainly never thought about replacing it like some people do.

Dunno. My main complaint with the phone at this point are Silicon Valley developers who design really poor Android apps compared to their iOS counterpart, as well as some really sweet apps from people who refuse to develop for Android at all (TweetBot, Overcast.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 20, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SB35 posted:

I say "OK Google take me to _____" and that seems to work.

I can't get over how beautiful the camera on the Note 4 is.

Beach on Puget Sound.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I had a Nexus 5 with a cracked screen that Google replaced for free. Initially they sent me a refurb but that unit had a dead LCD so I sent it back and they sent me a brand new in box device.

Now I'm selling this replacement. Does this replacement still carry the 1-year warranty form Google? Is that only associated with my email since I was the one who bought it?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Daily Forecast posted:

I say "OK Google take me to _____" and that seems to work.

I can't get over how beautiful the camera on the Note 4 is.

Beach on Puget Sound.

Picnic Point?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Picnic Point?

Yes! You from around the area?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

I, too, have a Nexus 6. I was all set to buy a Moto X 2014 64GB, but when I saw that I could get a bigger phone, with wireless charging, for an extra $50, I figured it was a no brainer for me.

Although, I gotta say - I hardly use the wireless charging - turbo charging is NUTS, and it's completely replaced and sort of conventional charging. Battery easily lasts a day and a half and I get about 4-5 hours of screen-on-time until it's dead. Screen brightness is at 50%, yadda yadda anecdotal data yadda.

Yeah I have a vu that I got for Christmas and I use it to charge while going to sleep, but turbo charging is some next level wizardry. The phone gets super hot though.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I've read that turbo charging is actually super bad for the battery so it's probably best to not use it unless you really need it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Daily Forecast posted:

I've read that turbo charging is actually super bad for the battery so it's probably best to not use it unless you really need it.

It depends on the capacity and C rating of the battery. I'd assume that phones with turbo charging are equipped with batteries that can handle the current.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Daily Forecast posted:

Who says this? I can't imagine that companies would knowingly include turbo charging if it was harmful without at least a warning to use it sparingly. Maybe I'm crazy though

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Where did you read this? Quick charging is actually an integral part of some phones: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's also the only included charger and the only way to not use it is by not letting the phone get low enough on battery to trigger the extra current.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Turbo charging is an option you can tick on and off in my phone, so maybe it's different for other ones. I forget where I read it but it just makes sense to me that wildly fluctuating temperatures just can't be good for the lifespan of the battery, on the long-term.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Daily Forecast posted:

Turbo charging is an option you can tick on and off in my phone, so maybe it's different for other ones. I forget where I read it but it just makes sense to me that wildly fluctuating temperatures just can't be good for the lifespan of the battery, on the long-term.

It's perfectly normal for lipo and li-ion batteries to warm up and expand slightly during the course of high-current operation. While it is somewhat detrimental, it's nothing to worry about - it'll make a difference of only a few cycles over the battery's lifespan.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, my Nexus 4 appears to have committed suicide. I got up at 7 and was browsing the forums, and at about 7:25 the screen shut off. I thought maybe it had gone into the sleep of death, since that happened twice over the weekend while using Hangouts + Google Voice to make a call. However, I noticed that the back of the phone was rather hot, about the same as if I were playing a more intensive game. Now I can't get the thing to turn on, even after letting it charge for 15-20 minutes. Any ideas to revive it?

Edit: I opened it up and looked at the (newly-replaced) battery, it looked fine. Put it back together, still nothing. Maybe a half an hour ago, I re-connected it to my computer and got the "device connected" sound, and now it's working fine again. :iiam:

hooah fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 20, 2015

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Anyone using cheapo QI chargers with current gen phones? My charger (typical generic pad, 2A in / 1A out) worked fine with the Nexus 7 but it can't maintain a connection with my new G3. The phone also complains (every couple of seconds when it detects the pad) that it's charging slowly and I should be using proper LG stuff, so I assume 1A wouldn't cut it even if it did charge; couldn't find 2A out pads on ebay, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So my company finally has someone who understands the concept of "upgrading your phone" handling our company account and I'm looking at the available options with Verizon. I can upgrade to whatever phone I want but I'd need to pay for anything above free so I'm sticking to the free options. These seem to be:

- iPhone 5C (8gb loving :lol: )
- Droid Maxx
- Moto X (2nd Gen)
- LG G2
- Galaxy S4
- Droid Mini
- S4 Mini (Pre-Owned)

I've never owned an Android device and I sure as gently caress ain't picking the 5C so is there anything in that list worth going for? I'm not looking to drop $100-200 for a phone I'll be using only for work. I just want something solid for emails/web and preferably made this century (my current phone is a Convoy 2 :suicide: )

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Droid MAXX

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

- Moto X (2nd Gen)

This

Seriously, it's not even a contest.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Isn't that the one from a year or so ago? Isn't the Droid Turbo the new one?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Droid MAXX will last the longest on battery, but I cannot recommend getting it over the 2nd gen Moto X at this point since it's almost 1.5 years old.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

myron cope posted:

I love the Nexus 6. Coming from the Nexus 4 it was a huge improvement. I haven't had any problems with Lollipop aside from the smart lock not working at my house. No wifi issues, no screen redraw memory leaks, no dialer issues.

It almost seems small. Not sure how I used the N4 looking at it now. I remember getting the N4 to replace an iPhone 4S and thinking how huge it was.

That's what I got too. I told them to give me a new coupon code and I would rather go through their web portal. I also harassed them briefly on twitter on how sketchy that sounded.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So my company finally has someone who understands the concept of "upgrading your phone" handling our company account and I'm looking at the available options with Verizon. I can upgrade to whatever phone I want but I'd need to pay for anything above free so I'm sticking to the free options. These seem to be:

- iPhone 5C (8gb loving :lol: )
- Droid Maxx
- Moto X (2nd Gen)
- LG G2
- Galaxy S4
- Droid Mini
- S4 Mini (Pre-Owned)

I've never owned an Android device and I sure as gently caress ain't picking the 5C so is there anything in that list worth going for? I'm not looking to drop $100-200 for a phone I'll be using only for work. I just want something solid for emails/web and preferably made this century (my current phone is a Convoy 2 :suicide: )

Moto X.

Is that even a list of choices? It's more like "here's a Moto X 2014 and a bunch of last gen has-been phones."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Insane Totoro posted:

Moto X.

Is that even a list of choices? It's more like "here's a Moto X 2014 and a bunch of last gen has-been phones."

I went to Verizon, sorted by free and ratings and posted here. There's a few more options like a pre-owned mini S4 and some Kyocera/LG stuff (I assumed it's poo poo) but yeah that's all the free poo poo Verizon has.

Oh there's also the Blackberry Z10.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 20, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I bought my Moto X (2nd Gen) outright and think it's well worth it, so yes, it is a good choice for free.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I would honestly rather have the 2013 Maxx than the 2014 Moto X, but I really prioritize battery life. Both phones will get updated to lollipop at some point.

The 2014 Moto X and the Maxx are the two phones worth considering. The droid mini is not terrible if this is going to be a second phone you need to carry around, but I wouldn't want it as my primary device.

EDIT: The 2013 Moto X should also be available as a free phone and is a better choice than the droid mini if you want a small phone.

THF13 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 20, 2015

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
2014 X is the only choice.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

2014 X is an excellent phone for full price, so go buy it! Great battery life, display, performance, everything.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

seravid posted:

Anyone using cheapo QI chargers with current gen phones? My charger (typical generic pad, 2A in / 1A out) worked fine with the Nexus 7 but it can't maintain a connection with my new G3. The phone also complains (every couple of seconds when it detects the pad) that it's charging slowly and I should be using proper LG stuff, so I assume 1A wouldn't cut it even if it did charge; couldn't find 2A out pads on ebay, though.

My super cheap no-brand QI charger is working well with my Nexus 6 still. Charges fairly quick but slower than a 2A charger - I'm not sure what it's output is 1A may be right.

Stupid question but have you tried messing around with different positions for the phone?

The induction coil is probably in a different location, ie. in my Nexus 6 it's at the bottom of the device, so if I line up the bottom of my phone with either end of the charging pad it charges fine but if I have the phone centred it will charge slowly if it connects at all, you may just have the alignment out by enough that it can't do full power?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

VodeAndreas posted:

My super cheap no-brand QI charger is working well with my Nexus 6 still. Charges fairly quick but slower than a 2A charger - I'm not sure what it's output is 1A may be right.

Stupid question but have you tried messing around with different positions for the phone?

The induction coil is probably in a different location, ie. in my Nexus 6 it's at the bottom of the device, so if I line up the bottom of my phone with either end of the charging pad it charges fine but if I have the phone centred it will charge slowly if it connects at all, you may just have the alignment out by enough that it can't do full power?

The G3 has a removable back cover so I know exactly where the coil is. Even so, I tried every position imaginable but the result was always the same: charging starts, phone complains, charging drops, repeat after 2 seconds.

Can you post a link to your charger? I assumed every generic pad was the same, but maybe not... Don't really want to spend 50€ on a freaking charger. Don't want to go back to cables like a caveman either, though.

edit: I didn't notice at the time that the QI pad came with a USB to "rounded plug jack thing" cable, not the usual USB to micro-USB, so I'm forced to use that instead of the G3's original cable. If it's poorly made - which is likely - maybe that's why the phone doesn't receive enough juice.

seravid fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 21, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Interest check: would anybody want to buy an at&t locked 2013 Moto X? I'm not gonna try hard to sell it, there's a spec of dirt in the lens that shows up as a dot on pictures and a small part of the plastic chipped off on the side. Its green with yellow accents.

If nobody wants it I'll probably just keep it as a backup in my drawer.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Haha! The default setting on Lollipop is to be reminded of all your all-day calendar events at 8am via vibration, even in airplane mode! This woke me up this morning! It was very funny, I am in no way mad!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Stoat posted:

Haha! The default setting on Lollipop is to be reminded of all your all-day calendar events at 8am via vibration, even in airplane mode! This woke me up this morning! It was very funny, I am in no way mad!!!

lol dude did you have to go back to bed then. loving bummer!