Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ethiser posted:

Did he survive the alternate route of that game? I would love for him to pop up in Z3 as an ally and not some sphere ghost or something.

He dies in both routes. That said death is a mild inconvenience to showing up again in SRW games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

KoB posted:

One of Z2-2s best parts is Uther being rad and his mech being ridiculous in the best way.

His mech is cool and all, but the guy's a creeper. Turns a girl into a monster and keeps the monster penned up to be his prisoner-friend and closest confidante. I mean, really?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

His mech is cool and all, but the guy's a creeper. Turns a girl into a monster and keeps the monster penned up to be his prisoner-friend and closest confidante. I mean, really?
I haven't gotten to that place in Z2-2 again yet, but didn't what's her name the old hag do that, during a time when Uther had not yet taken charge of the situation?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't gotten to that place in Z2-2 again yet, but didn't what's her name the old hag do that, during a time when Uther had not yet taken charge of the situation?

I don't actually remember either. :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

I don't actually remember either. :v:
The most heart wrenching part is that Esther turns into the smallest, weakest kind of dimension beast.

I sure hope she has a good role in 3-2. I've always liked her.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It was during the first time Crowe activates his Sphere accidentally when fighting Gerard, so yeah, Gerard was still alive and Uther wasn't doing much yet.

As for why he chats with her... well, after Gerard died Uther wasn't exactly spoilt for choice in terms of personalities around him.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

He dies in both routes. That said death is a mild inconvenience to showing up again in SRW games.
Naw, people stay dead plenty in SRW, at least inside their own series. Even with this multi-dimension plot, they haven't used it as an excuse to have people come back from death, for which I am very grateful.

Timp and Beck will never die though. I'm still surprised that Yazan isn't with us anymore though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 20, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Naw, people stay dead plenty in SRW, at least inside their own series. Even with this multi-dimension plot, they haven't used it as an excuse to have people come back from death, for which I am very grateful.

Timp and Beck will never die though. I'm still surprised that Yazan isn't with us anymore though.

Wonder how long my homeboy Gauron will survive. Probably until the end of the FMP story.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's right and Uther promises to find a way to restore her, which is why he keeps her around until the Sphere powers go down. I also believe this is why the artificial DAMON in Z2.2 are all from his forces, because they are people who volunteered for it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wow, uh, Stage 53 on the Accept Destiny path in Z3.1 really doesn't gently caress around. The last few SR points have been "oh that's kinda simple this'll be fu--" then complete them and it turns out you've got half a stage of bullshit left to face. I was floored when I had to fight 3 of those 90k HP bosses at the same time, and all of them get double turns, have gigantic MAP attacks that drain EN, and their regular attacks can cause stun. Just barely dragged myself past the finish line on that one. Absolutely infuriating when I had to soft reset at one point with 3 units each with full tag tension just sitting next to the last remaining guy who's got triple digit HP only to discover they all either had no EN to attack or were stunned.

It feels like the difficulty spiked pretty hard once I got to the Destiny route choice, I passed on Defying it even though I had the points for it because I figured it would be harder and I'd come back on NG+ to kick its rear end but Accept sure isn't pulling its punches. Is that fight on Defy Destiny because holy gently caress I don't want to do that again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Wow, uh, Stage 53 on the Accept Destiny path in Z3.1 really doesn't gently caress around. The last few SR points have been "oh that's kinda simple this'll be fu--" then complete them and it turns out you've got half a stage of bullshit left to face. I was floored when I had to fight 3 of those 90k HP bosses at the same time, and all of them get double turns, have gigantic MAP attacks that drain EN, and their regular attacks can cause stun. Just barely dragged myself past the finish line on that one. Absolutely infuriating when I had to soft reset at one point with 3 units each with full tag tension just sitting next to the last remaining guy who's got triple digit HP only to discover they all either had no EN to attack or were stunned.

It feels like the difficulty spiked pretty hard once I got to the Destiny route choice, I passed on Defying it even though I had the points for it because I figured it would be harder and I'd come back on NG+ to kick its rear end but Accept sure isn't pulling its punches. Is that fight on Defy Destiny because holy gently caress I don't want to do that again.

I'll be honest and say that by the point I got there Kallen was soloing entire stages by herself and oneshotting bosses. What kind of team comp are you using? Are you making full use of the Tag stuff?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I'll be honest and say that by the point I got there Kallen was soloing entire stages by herself and oneshotting bosses. What kind of team comp are you using? Are you making full use of the Tag stuff?

Mostly Maximum Break. That's generally how I've approached bosses so far, just gang up on them and dump on them with those. A lot of stages I end up getting full tag tension really quickly and I see a boss and I'm like 'Oh I'll just save the Break for him" and not use Continuous Action.

The Vita version doesn't allow screenshots for god only knows why so here's a phone picture of my deployment.

I'm not 100% sure on who to pair who with so I mostly went with what the game either suggested, the few that I've read in this thread (i.e. 00/Wing) or just odd couples that seemed to work well at the time.

Just what are you doing to make Kallen and presumably others so strong? I've got D-Trader and other fun parts going every which way and it's nice to see Simon vomiting out 20k+ damage a turn but anything to make stuff like that stage go faster would be greatly appreciated.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Policenaut posted:

The Vita version doesn't allow screenshots for god only knows why

From what I remember, you can take screenshots, just not in the menu. I don't think even god knows why.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I remember giving Noriko the part that restores energy to full every turn and just throwing her at enemies to be pretty effective strategy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Ethiser posted:

I remember giving Noriko the part that restores energy to full every turn and just throwing her at enemies to be pretty effective strategy.

Yeah, I have that part on Simon who's paired up with her but if she's better with it then I'll swap it over. I just got attached to seeing that Power of the Spiral thing pop up and know he can start pumping out damage.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

From what I remember, you can take screenshots, just not in the menu. I don't think even god knows why.

It seems to be 24/7 no screenshots. I was fighting a boss earlier and I somehow knocked it down to 1 HP, so I tried to take a screenshot and the game wouldn't let me. Probably some weird anime licensing crap.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Why aren,t you using Basara!? :psyduck:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I swap him in and out every few missions, I still don't fully get what he does and how to use his morale retreat thing. Kind of got caught off guard with that last mission, probably could have used his support stuff there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I swap him in and out every few missions, I still don't fully get what he does and how to use his morale retreat thing. Kind of got caught off guard with that last mission, probably could have used his support stuff there.

Each of Basara's songs has its own unique buff to your party. These buffs are absurdly powerful.

In addition Basara's songs have two effects:
Certain enemies are vulnerable to them and will be forced to retreat. The MXF Vajra are the most obvious here.

Certain other types of enemies (and it depends on the foe) will take direct damage from Basara's songs. These are very rare and usually big bosses.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Why aren,t you using Basara!? :psyduck:

Terrible decisions right here, people.

Also not using all the people with Daunt is kinda bad.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ShiunTouya posted:

Terrible decisions right here, people.

Also not using all the people with Daunt is kinda bad.

Daunt is amazing. So is Disturbance.

And if you think it's hard now, it only gets more insane in the last few stages. I just beat Stage 60, which was a glorious orgy of violence and I loved every minute of it. Managed not to lose anyone too.

How do you have your upgrades? By this point he vast majority of the units you deploy should have their first upgrade bonuses, for getting everything to 5 points.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hunter Noventa posted:

Daunt is amazing. So is Disturbance.

And if you think it's hard now, it only gets more insane in the last few stages. I just beat Stage 60, which was a glorious orgy of violence and I loved every minute of it. Managed not to lose anyone too.

How do you have your upgrades? By this point he vast majority of the units you deploy should have their first upgrade bonuses, for getting everything to 5 points.

Yeah, right now I have 20 units sitting at full upgrade and a page or two worth in the 50-80% area so everyone I actually use is at least at 50%. I haven't put a lot of money into the weapon upgrades because of the higher costs, everyone's around 2-4 with a few level 5-6's floating about. I've had the feeling that I've been using PP wrong for a long time though, I mostly spend it on skills like that +3 Morale per turn or the EN/Bullet cost reductions so I haven't dumped any points into most character's attack and coasted on level ups, getting the feeling that I probably should be doing that and cashing out on weapon upgrades.

I'm all ears on pro-tier MLG Z3.1 strats if you guys got 'em, like I'm just scrubbing this out with favorites and game-suggested stuff.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
You should pick one or two favorites that you just like a lot and max out their weapons. It doesn't matter who, really. I mean, some are obviously better than others, but at max weapon level, the differences are academic. It's just nice to have heavy hitters to send in the middle of everything.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Basara with a will increasing part is a free ~26 will to up to 8 teams (depending on starting formation) with Valor and his ace bonus and 14 or so with just Valor. That alone is worth a permanent deployment slot. Destroying the poo poo out of vajra is just a rare bonus. What enemies take direct damage from his songs? I know Damons did in Z2 but those aren't around any more.

VV That does make sense thematically.

WrightOfWay fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 21, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

Basara with a will increasing part is a free ~26 will to up to 8 teams (depending on starting formation) with Valor and his ace bonus and 14 or so with just Valor. That alone is worth a permanent deployment slot. Destroying the poo poo out of vajra is just a rare bonus. What enemies take direct damage from his songs? I know Damons did in Z2 but those aren't around any more.

Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure the Anti-Spiral does. I may be misremembering that specific case since I haven't played through it again.

I probably should to get ready for Z3.2 honestly.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

VV That does make sense thematically.

Hooooooly poo poo, yeah okay I see the utility in that. If I could read Japanese I probably would have caught that earlier so now I'll try to look up the details on his attacks and work on getting him boosted on kills for that.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Hooooooly poo poo, yeah okay I see the utility in that. If I could read Japanese I probably would have caught that earlier so now I'll try to look up the details on his attacks and work on getting him boosted on kills for that.

The morale up song is the one in all japanese. You'll want the MAP version. Just position the units you want buffed (I prioritize units with MAP attacks and units that need high will for other bonuses like Aquarion, Dancouga Nova and Getter with Ryouma's Ace bonus) near each other when a map starts, have Basara cast Valor and use his MAP. If you don't have enough Will+ items for Basara to use it immediately, Gamlin, the other Macross 7 unit, has Yell+.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hokuto posted:

You should pick one or two favorites that you just like a lot and max out their weapons. It doesn't matter who, really. I mean, some are obviously better than others, but at max weapon level, the differences are academic. It's just nice to have heavy hitters to send in the middle of everything.

Me, for example, I always max out Karen and Chirico. The rest depend on how I feel like during this playthrough, but Karen and Chirico always get top spot for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i always max out the nu gundam and put fa in it because her va is satomi arai

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Really, at the end of the day, blatant favoritism is rewarded more highly than anything else in all late-gen SRW games.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
What if you're a fan of Katz.

You know, like if you're from Shadow Mirror and trying to fit in badly.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I doubt they will, but it'd be awesome if there was a D-Trader Part in the next game that gave a pilot Newtype Level 9 so you could put people without Newtype levels (or ones that are too low) into Funnel-using machines.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Davzz posted:

Katz's ace bonus is cheap Disturbance IIRC, so even that sort of works.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Davzz posted:

Katz is better than Emma mechanically.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, right now I have 20 units sitting at full upgrade and a page or two worth in the 50-80% area so everyone I actually use is at least at 50%. I haven't put a lot of money into the weapon upgrades because of the higher costs, everyone's around 2-4 with a few level 5-6's floating about. I've had the feeling that I've been using PP wrong for a long time though, I mostly spend it on skills like that +3 Morale per turn or the EN/Bullet cost reductions so I haven't dumped any points into most character's attack and coasted on level ups, getting the feeling that I probably should be doing that and cashing out on weapon upgrades.

I'm all ears on pro-tier MLG Z3.1 strats if you guys got 'em, like I'm just scrubbing this out with favorites and game-suggested stuff.

Then you're on the right track, I'm doing fine with most people at 50-70%, as I've been maxing out their defensive stat (Armor for Supers, Mobility for reals) and thent heir HP. Weapons at about 4 should be enough too.

Oh, Max out Gurren Lagann. Just do it.

As for pilot skills, I'm a big fan of Guard and Predict myself. Support Attack is great, esepically for pilots who are always the second part of a twin unit, because it increases the damage they do by a percentage for their levels in it. Ignore Size Category is another good one.

As far as Basara, yeah, you should be using him. I know I had one mission, though it might have been the Defy Destiny route, with like, 6 Vajra battleships, and he just zoomed in and made them all run away, saving me a huge headache.

Here's a quick rundown of what the songs do for your allies-
Planet Dance- Heal HP
Totsugeki Love Heart (The one in all Japanese)- Boost Will
My Friends- Heal SP
Try Again- Boost all stats for the entire stage (doesn't stack with itself)
Dynamite Explosion- Casts Gain and Luck, I think? As well as maybe Valor if Basara has it cast, I don't use it much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yes, Dynamite Explosion casts Hot Blood if you have Basara cast it first.

It is exactly as broken as it sounds.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

There are some people you should keep on using in a support capacity, one of them is Luka from Macross Frontier, and keep him in fighter mode. His support attack, Ghost, has something like 3000 power at level 2 and it drops some stat, specific one eludes me. Either way, he's good as a support character, slap him on a flying character, same with the ReGZ in BWS mode. Only reason I got Daguza to an Ace.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I got Daguza to ace because I put him in the custom Delta Plus and he did pretty well in it all things considered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Delta Plus is a good-tier suit all around honestly. Poor Riddhe is kind of doomed to be kicked out of it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'd have put him in the Delta Plus but Amuro was having far too much fun chilling out in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I hope 3-2 has more hidden suits in it. Hi-Nu, Zeta variants, and so on.

edit: and a proper hidden ending since it's the end of everything and all.

• Locked thread