Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

MC Eating Disorder posted:

lol ok is this because I accused you of loving with the vote finder to muddy the waters? Thats a lot of effort to go to for a fairly innocuous attempt to point out what I thought was pretty obvious
No, its because you've outed yourself, not as a dumb townie whos going along for larks, but a savage whos satisfied with the direction of the bandwagon.

Being a retard with votefinder is just noiseposting. i was happy to noisepost my way to death because i legit cannot follow this long-rear end game to its conclusion and will just blither poo poo until i board a plane on saturday to a land of white sand beaches and no internets.

that is until i got snagged on a proud nail. Your post. Screaming out "I am playing as scum".

I definitely feel comfortable accusing kommando of being scum after he

a) spammed up the thread AND the votefinder

AND

b) zeroed in on me for what I think is a weak reason, but that's not really surprising and there's STILL not really enough evidence in my mind to vote based on anything other than gut instincts because its day 1 and anidav is just a good scapegoat for a huge game that really needs to get a quick lynch off to get some bearings

Of course you would think its a weak reason, you're prosecuting it. But town are unaffiliated and know they have no information, but scum need to reassure, not so much for others but themselves. Its conceptually difficult to pretend to know nothing when you actually do.

The game does not need a quick lynch, the rules state that the person at the end of the day with the most votes will be killed, this could happen with 1 vote all day and at 9pm that person dies. The game will not resume until 9am the next day and so hammering early robs us of discussion and sluthing. And any incidental funnies along the way. However early hammering of scapegoats works in scum favor.
Believe it or not but when you go back over first day posts (Or read as a GM), people let on a lot more than they believe, earlier someone mentioned a nursebot with breasts, then someone mentioned their 'breasts' having a hunch. Watch closely and people will outright tell you what they are or what their flavor is on day 1. I've already done it. It wouldnt take much research to find what character i'm playing.

And you've told me yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

SKY COQ posted:

4 votes to get rid of Anidav. Think of the energon we could harvest from his scrap.

Lid posted:

Literal decepticon think here.

3rd scum possibly spotted.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GoldStandardConure posted:

Your bird joke was poo poo :colbert:

Birds are smarter than you.

Maybe he's more of a fava bean than a bird-brain.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

I like the Star Wars laser sound effects.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Lid posted:

Look at these loving drive by voting lurkers backing each other, and confusingly IST voting for someone based on Fruity's posting... when Fruity hadn't yet posted in the thread so they got ahead of themselves in their off-forum PMs. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

##vote Ironic Sex Tourist

fruity said he was a big dumb weenie in the last game. 1/10 Sherlocks for you.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Fruity Gordo posted:

idk the only ones who really benefit from the thread closing early are scum since it gives them fewer opportunities to step on a rake, doesn't do much harm to town keeping it open for fresh shitposting, especially if the lynch seems to be a foregone conclusion which it might be here

I worry that if everyone sits back and thinks it's a foregone conclusion, we'll end the day all wanting to lynch Anidav but a vote short or something.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kommando, You haven't really convinced me that you're not scum but I didn't know that we were guaranteed to lynch someone without a majority so that kind of changes the way I'm thinking about it so I'm gonna ##unvote for now and I'll be back in a few hours

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Wait, the person with the most votes, even if it's not enough for a hammer, is lynched? That same bit is in the last game's OP but it didn't work that way in practise.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Kommando posted:

For
all
intents
and
purposes

##unvote
##vote Avshalom
ignorance of idioms.

Read the last game. Avshalom was making a joke at Harold's expense, dork.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Since I'm ready to jump in and vote Anidav when needed, I guess I can also be ready to unvote if needed.

##vote Anidav

just cause all these unvotes make me a little antsy. You can count me in.

Tommofork posted:

Wait, the person with the most votes, even if it's not enough for a hammer, is lynched? That same bit is in the last game's OP but it didn't work that way in practise.

No, it shouldn't work that way at all.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Harold Krell posted:

I call bullshit on that and here are the reasons why:

1) You have a really lovely playing style that's really off-putting to everyone, so you're not exactly persuading me with that response.
2) I've seen you play before and you have horrible instincts about everything. Like over 75% of the time, you say something and then by the next ten posts, there are three people who end up disproving it.
3) You're irritating. It had to be said, so there it is. I have yet to hear anyone throughout this game say anything nice about you.
4) The way you word your posts makes it not only bothersome to read, but they're barely comprehensible, so you're wrong in that regard, too.

I could go on and on and on, but I believe these points are enough to justify my argument.

Harold Krell has gone full Scanner Darkly and is posting about himself.

Also sorry about a billion posts replying to poo poo from three pages ago, but y'know, you guys post fast and lots.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
no you need to have 14 votes for a lynch at the end of the day. where did people get this dumb idea that you can lynch without a majority jfc

gotta put my vote back now lol ##vote anidav

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Bifauxnen posted:

Maybe he's more of a fava bean than a bird-brain.

Harold, confirm/deny:

Do you transform into a fava bean?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so Kommando is just making poo poo up AS WELL as spamming the thread with white noise poo poo that's enough for me ##vote Kommando

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So is it actually impossible to end the day without a lynch? Because that's a weird set up. The term used is 'majority' not 'plurality', so the wording does not support your interpretation kommando.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Kommando, You haven't really convinced me that you're not scum but I didn't know that we were guaranteed to lynch someone without a majority so that kind of changes the way I'm thinking about it so I'm gonna ##unvote for now and I'll be back in a few hours

my theory is that Kommando is going to be modkilled when he goes overseas.

That doesn't tell us anything about Kommando's role or alignment though. I don't think that when Asphyxious added Kommando to the game he knew that Kommando was going o/s on Saturday. It's entirely possible that Asphyxious gave him a really cool role. In fact I reckon that's probably more likely than not, as Asphyxious had to find some way to shoehorn him into the game after it had already been set up.

So I'm in two minds. Part of me says leave Kommando alone because he's soon to become an irrelevance, but another part of me says that it's just as likely that he'll be some crazy sole-scum vigilante, killing townies until he flies off.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
back at 11/14

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Kommando posted:

real posting not noise.

this italicised bit throws up some alarm.
"resign yourself", this is a statement not by a townie. this is a between gritted teeth threat. "just let the knife into your chest. it is inevitable."
amongst all the noise, mine included, we have MC Eating Disorder telling Anidav that he's going to die. not because it's a good strategy, not because he will be vindicated or for the good of the town, but because he is helpless.

Watching Anidav from a GMs perspective in my game, this is not how he behaved when he was going down and guilty.

You are all poking him to get a reaction, a meltdown for funnies. And it's hard to sift the people doing it for lols and those who are helping the town send an innocent to his death for sinister purposes.

MC Eating Disorder has bared his teeth here.

The sly grin of a villain.

##unvote

##vote MC Eating Disorder

Kommando you are tripping every one of my scum alarms with your weird and flimsy accusations.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Kommando posted:

Believe it or not but when you go back over first day posts (Or read as a GM), people let on a lot more than they believe, earlier someone mentioned a nursebot with breasts, then someone mentioned their 'breasts' having a hunch.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Kommando posted:

3rd scum possibly spotted.

I actually agree with Kommando here. Cheeky attempt by Coq to increase the bandwagon's momentum.

##unvote

##vote Sky Coq

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kommando posted:

The game does not need a quick lynch, the rules state that the person at the end of the day with the most votes will be killed, this could happen with 1 vote all day and at 9pm that person dies.

Hidden in the middle of a bunch of poo poo is an outright lie, see you later dude

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
all the same it's best to only push to vote at the end of the day, more words = more evidence

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Just in case that gem for lost in the white noise.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I definitely feel comfortable accusing kommando of being scum after he

a) spammed up the thread AND the votefinder

AND

b) zeroed in on me for what I think is a weak reason, but that's not really surprising and there's STILL not really enough evidence in my mind to vote based on anything other than gut instincts because its day 1 and anidav is just a good scapegoat for a huge game that really needs to get a quick lynch off to get some bearings

your fates are sealed together at this point. if you flip town, Kommando is scum (and vice vercae).

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Hidden in the middle of a bunch of poo poo is an outright lie, see you later dude

Actually with the wording the in OP it could go either way, which is why I'm confused. I know how it worked in previous games but that doesn't mean it was working right in those game. I don't know what the default settings are for mafia tbh.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's my first game so maybe he thought I wouldn't notice but it's so unbelievably dumb that I kind of almost believe tomls theory

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Those On My Left posted:

i'll be super impressed if anyone can spot a scum stepping on a rake today. i mean i see your point and generally i think you're absolutely right but holy poo poo is posting overload in here today

it's more that we can catch them stepping on a rake in a few days by cross-examining people's old posts

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Splode posted:

your fates are sealed together at this point. if you flip town, Kommando is scum (and vice vercae).

Everyone could just be dumb.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
We can't put Anime Dave in the transformers compactor just yet, he hasn't wigged the gently caress out yet.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Kommando posted:

No, its because you've outed yourself, not as a dumb townie whos going along for larks, but a savage whos satisfied with the direction of the bandwagon.

Being a retard with votefinder is just noiseposting. i was happy to noisepost my way to death because i legit cannot follow this long-rear end game to its conclusion and will just blither poo poo until i board a plane on saturday to a land of white sand beaches and no internets.

that is until i got snagged on a proud nail. Your post. Screaming out "I am playing as scum".

Of course you would think its a weak reason, you're prosecuting it. But town are unaffiliated and know they have no information, but scum need to reassure, not so much for others but themselves. Its conceptually difficult to pretend to know nothing when you actually do.

The game does not need a quick lynch, the rules state that the person at the end of the day with the most votes will be killed, this could happen with 1 vote all day and at 9pm that person dies. The game will not resume until 9am the next day and so hammering early robs us of discussion and sluthing. And any incidental funnies along the way. However early hammering of scapegoats works in scum favor.
Believe it or not but when you go back over first day posts (Or read as a GM), people let on a lot more than they believe, earlier someone mentioned a nursebot with breasts, then someone mentioned their 'breasts' having a hunch. Watch closely and people will outright tell you what they are or what their flavor is on day 1. I've already done it. It wouldnt take much research to find what character i'm playing.

This is wrong Kommando.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Tommofork posted:

Actually with the wording the in OP it could go either way, which is why I'm confused. I know how it worked in previous games but that doesn't mean it was working right in those game. I don't know what the default settings are for mafia tbh.
The wording does not support kommandos interpretation. The term used is majority, not plurality.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

People taking words said on Day 1 way too seriously itt. Also RIP anidav, harold was not poo poo enough to save you.

Splode posted:

it's more that we can catch them stepping on a rake in a few days by cross-examining people's old posts

yeeeah so be careful when you declare someone as scum and home in on them. I did this last game watching you lot, and I was sure you, beet and bif were scum and look at how that turned out. :v:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I don't think this is a lie, I think this is the result of not understanding some badly written rules (and also confusing "majority" with "plurality"). The same issue came up last game.

Asphyxious posted:

Rules:
Days are 12 hours long. From 9am to 9pm.
Day 1 will start once we've got enough people and I've got my poo poo together.
At the end of the day, if someone has a majority of ##votes as in the default setting, they will be scrapped.
No editing of your posts.
There are no millers or death millers or reverse death millers or anti-reverse death millers in this game. That being said, expect roles. Transformers have cool abilities and so do you!
Role explanations: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Roles
Hammer is on, first to the required votes gets scrapped automatically.

The two bolded sentences are inconsistent. The first one says that the person to be lynched will be the person who has the majority of votes (i.e. 50% + 1 vote) at 9pm. But the second one says "the first to get to the required votes gets lynched automatically." Well, uh, if someone gets lynched when they get "to the required votes", you don't have to worry about who has the majority of votes at 9pm, because they will have been auto-lynched first.

Last game there was the same confusion, people thought that the lynch would happen at 9pm to whoever had the most votes - that's called a plurality.

This is what I was trying to get Asphyxious to clarify before D1 started.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Those On My Left posted:

my theory is that Kommando is going to be modkilled when he goes overseas.

That doesn't tell us anything about Kommando's role or alignment though. I don't think that when Asphyxious added Kommando to the game he knew that Kommando was going o/s on Saturday. It's entirely possible that Asphyxious gave him a really cool role. In fact I reckon that's probably more likely than not, as Asphyxious had to find some way to shoehorn him into the game after it had already been set up.

So I'm in two minds. Part of me says leave Kommando alone because he's soon to become an irrelevance, but another part of me says that it's just as likely that he'll be some crazy sole-scum vigilante, killing townies until he flies off.

i was thinking about this earlier and basically came to the same conclusion. you can't add in a townie who is gonna get modkilled later in the game without disadvantaging the town and i reckon gaspy would have considered that

and yeah, kommando is pinging my scumdar p hard and this is precisely why it's good to keep the thread open

having said all that, i only vaguely suspect kommando is scummy, whereas i am absolutely convinced that anidav is a liability, so i aint gonna change my vote

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Small Keating posted:

I actually agree with Kommando here. Cheeky attempt by Coq to increase the bandwagon's momentum.

##unvote

##vote Sky Coq

Really? reeaally?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Fruity Gordo posted:

i was thinking about this earlier and basically came to the same conclusion. you can't add in a townie who is gonna get modkilled later in the game without disadvantaging the town and i reckon gaspy would have considered that

and yeah, kommando is pinging my scumdar p hard and this is precisely why it's good to keep the thread open

having said all that, i only vaguely suspect kommando is scummy, whereas i am absolutely convinced that anidav is a liability, so i aint gonna change my vote

i generally agree with this but i don't know if Kommando is scum or some bizarro class that could gently caress things up if town lynches him (e.g. bomb, princess)

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Small Keating posted:

##unvote

##vote Sky Coq

toml did the same thing but with more words fwiw

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Kommando posted:

Day one is quickly becoming a towering inferno of madness.

I still think a day one lynch is a good idea, I'm just not sure if an Anidav vote will be useful at all, seeing as scum and town will vote him out alike and there's little information we can actually get from that. Thanks for your post. I needed that.

so ##unvote for now but I agree with Fruity that Anidav is a liability regardless of his faction, so I'll re-vote later if need be.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

rudatron posted:

The wording does not support kommandos interpretation. The term used is majority, not plurality.

Ok.

Those On My Left posted:

I don't think this is a lie, I think this is the result of not understanding some badly written rules (and also confusing "majority" with "plurality"). The same issue came up last game.

The two bolded sentences are inconsistent. The first one says that the person to be lynched will be the person who has the majority of votes (i.e. 50% + 1 vote) at 9pm. But the second one says "the first to get to the required votes gets lynched automatically." Well, uh, if someone gets lynched when they get "to the required votes", you don't have to worry about who has the majority of votes at 9pm, because they will have been auto-lynched first.

Last game there was the same confusion, people thought that the lynch would happen at 9pm to whoever had the most votes - that's called a plurality.

This is what I was trying to get Asphyxious to clarify before D1 started.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironic Sex Tourist
Jan 18, 2015

by XyloJW
you idiots do anidav today, kommando tomorrow, and my number 3 scum pick who i'm not revealingcoz they'll shank me on D3

• Locked thread