Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Blah, that's the correct term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I love my 100% all new cable runs in my new building. 200 or so drops all cat 6. Future generations will appreciate this, till they need to drop cat 7....or fiber to the cubicle.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 21, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Our cabling is all being left to the pros. I'm just super pissed because that IT consultant I mentioned is charging $20k to basically draw up blueprints of where the wiring goes. It's some package deal union racket they got going but whatever. I bust my rear end to save a few grand buying phones and PCs and these guys can basically negate all I do, because I create a huge budget surplus so the CFO wants to go on a spree now.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Zero VGS posted:

I bust my rear end to save a few grand buying phones and PCs and these guys can basically negate all I do, because I create a huge budget surplus so the CFO wants to go on a spree now.

Don't do this. It goes unappreciated and certainly won't be spent wisely. We saved a huge chunk of money on a number of things a few years ago and got jack poo poo for it.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I'm trying to figure out 2 minor issues with a Window application (RIS client) that the vendor's developers can't/won't help with (probably because they're so minor in comparison to what they're working on). Anyway:

- Some of the text displayed in the App is too small for 75% of our userbase. No controls for font size in the application.
- When integrated with another application (PACS client), a particular function resets the mouse location to the center of the screen after clicking on one button.

I'm dicking around with Sysinternals to try to get some hints, but so far nothing useful (but sure is fun/interesting to see application calls, registry read/writes, etc). What other tools are out there that would let me see what's going on at the Windows level? I've played with stuff like Fiddler to troubleshoot app/server issues, but these problems are at the desktop level.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Zero VGS posted:

Our cabling is all being left to the pros. I'm just super pissed because that IT consultant I mentioned is charging $20k to basically draw up blueprints of where the wiring goes. It's some package deal union racket they got going but whatever. I bust my rear end to save a few grand buying phones and PCs and these guys can basically negate all I do, because I create a huge budget surplus so the CFO wants to go on a spree now.

This kind of demonstrates what I think others have said and what I'm going to say directly, that in a cabling project the cost of the more advanced cable, connectors, jacks, plates, patch panels etc is dwarfed by the cost of labor, whether that's installer labor or consultant bullshit. And you only do it once every 10-20 years. Put in the best you can, don't look back.

Reason to go Cat6A vs Cat6 is that 6A can support 10 gigabit, at least for short distances, whereas Cat6 is "maybe you'll get 10 gigabit for 10 m if everything's terminated amazingly". Also, if installers are doing it, who cares if the cable's thicker / bulkier? Their problem, that's what you're paying them for.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Make him earn that 20k: hide change orders deep into nested emails :getin:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

incoherent posted:

Make him earn that 20k: hide change orders deep into nested emails :getin:

This is why they're charging so much: dealing with assholes who bottompost.

Hell, if you're going to be charged an rear end in a top hat tax, might as well use it!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

TWBalls posted:

Don't do this. It goes unappreciated and certainly won't be spent wisely. We saved a huge chunk of money on a number of things a few years ago and got jack poo poo for it.

Eh, I itemized the million dollars of savings I pulled off in 5 years at my last company and it got me this job for double the salary.

Honestly I really shouldn't effort myself as much as I do at this place, I'm saving up for a few more rental properties so I can retire in another 5 years and just play Oculus Rift until I die, the IT world has broken me.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Zero VGS posted:

Eh, I itemized the million dollars of savings I pulled off in 5 years at my last company and it got me this job for double the salary.

That's kind of my point. The company that you saved that million dollars for, what did they give you? Probably a pat on the back and an 'atta boy'.

My co-worker saved this place a ton of money by fixing a lot of wasteful spending on cell phones and switching from a terrible printer repair company that over charged and under delivered. I'm sure once he finally jumps ship he too will be able to double what he makes, but for now all he's gotten is an 'atta boy'.

Like I said, you do something good like that and it goes unappreciated (we haven't gotten a raise in 2 years) but they sure are quick to poo poo all over you when they think you've dropped the ball (more often than not we don't, poo poo happens because they don't want to pay to fix stuff properly and we're thrown under the bus).

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

TWBalls posted:

That's kind of my point. The company that you saved that million dollars for, what did they give you? Probably a pat on the back and an 'atta boy'.

Well he took that accomplishment to justify his pay for a new job. Seems like a worthwhile payoff. If your company isn't financially recognizing your accomplishments then take what you've learned somewhere else until you feel like you're being fairly compensated.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of going to far out of my way to save this place a buck, we have a new web designer here who wants a copy of Photoshop and Indesign.

Any reason it'd be a particularly bad idea to snag them from Amazon/Ebay if I take the due-diligence of verifying that that copies and serials are genuine with Adobe? Because it seems like the ROI is less than a a year versus signing up for Adobe CC, and the web guy had no objections to going that route. I get that they're phasing out the box copies for good so it seems like snagging a few for $300 a pop would be a nice long term investment.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Gyshall posted:

"Who buys licenses from ebay?" - Some guy working at Zero VGS's office years down the road.

They're pushing out two major update per year with the cloud based model, and the software isn't chained to a single desk that a conventional license is. That means the developer can work on a laptop and a workstation.

Also: BSA don't care you bought it from ebay and you have a receipt to prove it. Should of bought through your VAR like a good enterprise employee.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
It's laptops only here and people can take them home, I'd gladly buy a single license from a VAR if any on the planet still have perpetuity licenses in stock. Don't make me laugh re: Adobe updates twice a year, they update Flash twice a day; doesn't mean it's not poo poo

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

If you are just concerned about costs why not get a subscription for as long as the web developer needs access?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of going to far out of my way to save this place a buck, we have a new web designer here who wants a copy of Photoshop and Indesign.

Any reason it'd be a particularly bad idea to snag them from Amazon/Ebay if I take the due-diligence of verifying that that copies and serials are genuine with Adobe? Because it seems like the ROI is less than a a year versus signing up for Adobe CC, and the web guy had no objections to going that route. I get that they're phasing out the box copies for good so it seems like snagging a few for $300 a pop would be a nice long term investment.

This is more for anyone reading and might not apply to your situation, but Adobe offer a one day re-seller course that's easy as poo poo to complete, with an open-book exam at the end. Gets you killer discounts on their full suite, both subscription and older boxed copies. Would recommend considering it if you think you'll have to source Adobe products a lot.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

TWBalls posted:

Seriously, and depending on how large the corporation is, $20k is chump change. It still amazes me to hear the dollar figures that get thrown around for different things.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Working from home again today. I know people say that they feel like they'd be distracted, but I find that I'm a gently caress of a lot more productive when I'm teleworking. Between my boss and my coworker always talking to me, my boss' propensity to impulsively pull me away to do stuff while I'm in the middle of projects, and everyone coming and going in our room, I'm constantly distracted when I'm in the office. And I remote in from my at my house desktop, which isn't near my TV, so I don't spent all day watching Netflix, either.

I think at my next job I'm going to see if I can telework 2-3 days a week.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

psydude posted:

Working from home again today. I know people say that they feel like they'd be distracted, but I find that I'm a gently caress of a lot more productive when I'm teleworking. Between my boss and my coworker always talking to me, my boss' propensity to impulsively pull me away to do stuff while I'm in the middle of projects, and everyone coming and going in our room, I'm constantly distracted when I'm in the office. And I remote in from my at my house desktop, which isn't near my TV, so I don't spent all day watching Netflix, either.

I think at my next job I'm going to see if I can telework 2-3 days a week.

There have been times where I have told my boss I am working at home just so I can get caught up. I easily get 2x as much done without a line of people outside my cube waiting to talk to me. We actually have a 'wiring closet' that has a large table, chairs, and phone that we use to get away because the door is locked and only accessible by our team.

The only downside is that we have to share it with:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
lmao buying licenses from ebay

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Windows 10 reveal at 11AM EST. Hopefully this will be interesting...

AM not PM

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 21, 2015

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Gyshall posted:

lmao buying licenses from ebay

i got a really high quality knockoff of windows server from ebay

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Windows 10 reveal at 11PM EST. Hopefully this will be interesting...

PM?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

AM

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

Windows 10 reveal at 11AM EST. Hopefully this will be interesting...

AM not PM

I haven't read much on it, I assume they are trying to make a prettier windows 7 this time right?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Fingers crossed for Windows 10 on ARM :ohdear:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

thebigcow posted:

i got a really high quality knockoff of windows server from ebay

What is this, 2006? Everybody knows the best knockoffs are on aliexpress these days.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sickening posted:

I haven't read much on it, I assume they are trying to make a prettier windows 7 this time right?

Hopefully they make it so if you install on a tablet you get all that good poo poo, but if you're using a desktop you don't get assed with all the tablet nonsense.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

It's more like they took the architecture of Windows 8.1 and crammed the metro interface into the start menu. This is a gross simplification (much like that headline :lol: ) and I wish I had more time to play around with it because it seems like it'll be pretty good.

Snip of the start menu, left-clicking brings that up and keeps you on the desktop.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

It's more like they took the architecture of Windows 8.1 and crammed the metro interface into the start menu. This is a gross simplification (much like that headline :lol: ) and I wish I had more time to play around with it because it seems like it'll be pretty good.

Snip of the start menu, left-clicking brings that up and keeps you on the desktop.

Well, put in some new features people will want and rake in the $$$$.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Windows 8 has great bones, 8.1 fixed some really bad UI stuff, but the 10 UI looks to be absolutely tops. I'm super excited for it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Windows 8 has great bones, 8.1 fixed some really bad UI stuff, but the 10 UI looks to be absolutely tops. I'm super excited for it.

Didn't they butcher windows backup though without any good reason to?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Anyone have any experience dealing with Promethean Boards and the ActivHub connector?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Oh dear: "We think of Windows as a service........" Here we go.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Apparently I'm getting too old for this poo poo. That start menu pic looks like a Jackson Pollock painting. Someone just rook randomly colored/sized objects and flung them across the screen.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I was thinking more Piet Mondrian

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Oh dear: "We think of Windows as a service........" Here we go.

Not surprised but I think this would be great for home or some small businesses but only after a few iterations.

Docjowles posted:

Apparently I'm getting too old for this poo poo. That start menu pic looks like a Jackson Pollock painting. Someone just rook randomly colored/sized objects and flung them across the screen.

:lol:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
All of the stuff in The Verge's liveblog looks pretty darn cool.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Docjowles posted:

For what it's worth, you can resize them, or just remove every one of them altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

All of the stuff in The Verge's liveblog looks pretty darn cool.

That's what I'm following but I really don't give a drat about Cortana.