Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
M7 is $200 at Best Buy right now.

Worth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Stoat posted:

Haha! The default setting on Lollipop is to be reminded of all your all-day calendar events at 8am via vibration, even in airplane mode! This woke me up this morning! It was very funny, I am in no way mad!!!

Why would airplane mode stop your calendar reminders?? You want your calendar to become worthless if you're somewhere without service?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

THF13 posted:

I would honestly rather have the 2013 Maxx than the 2014 Moto X, but I really prioritize battery life. Both phones will get updated to lollipop at some point.

Turbocharger offsets that to a certain extent. If you manage to be around an outlet for 15 minutes towards the end of the battery, you can easily stretch it to be similar battery of a MAXX.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

seravid posted:

The G3 has a removable back cover so I know exactly where the coil is. Even so, I tried every position imaginable but the result was always the same: charging starts, phone complains, charging drops, repeat after 2 seconds.

Can you post a link to your charger? I assumed every generic pad was the same, but maybe not... Don't really want to spend 50€ on a freaking charger. Don't want to go back to cables like a caveman either, though.

edit: I didn't notice at the time that the QI pad came with a USB to "rounded plug jack thing" cable, not the usual USB to micro-USB, so I'm forced to use that instead of the G3's original cable. If it's poorly made - which is likely - maybe that's why the phone doesn't receive enough juice.

Mine's this cheap one off an Australian site:
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/qi-wireless-slim-inductive-charging-mat/
It's unbranded with a QI logo in the middle at the front, micro USB on one end and LED at the other.

I'm powering it through the charger that came with my Galaxy S3 as it came with a micro USB cord but no AC adapter.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

VodeAndreas posted:

Mine's this cheap one off an Australian site:
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/qi-wireless-slim-inductive-charging-mat/
It's unbranded with a QI logo in the middle at the front, micro USB on one end and LED at the other.

I'm powering it through the charger that came with my Galaxy S3 as it came with a micro USB cord but no AC adapter.

Thanks. Pretty sure it's the cable then. Just purchased a new pad similar to mine but with a standard micro-usb port, we'll see how it goes; got a friend I can give it to if it doesn't work for me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks for the suggestions, I ended going with the Moto X like everyone here recommended. So far it looks like a pretty awesome phone. Still setting it up and getting everything running but looks like it'll be perfect for work.

Is there any way to get rid of what I imagine are unesseary Verizon Apps? Not seeing anything they do that Google doesn't cover natively in Android.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You can't get rid of them (and couldn't benefit if you could), but you can disable them by finding them in settings -> apps and choosing "disable" or something like that. May have to uninstall updates first.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So my company finally has someone who understands the concept of "upgrading your phone" handling our company account and I'm looking at the available options with Verizon. I can upgrade to whatever phone I want but I'd need to pay for anything above free so I'm sticking to the free options. These seem to be:

- iPhone 5C (8gb loving :lol: )
- Droid Maxx
- Moto X (2nd Gen)
- LG G2
- Galaxy S4
- Droid Mini
- S4 Mini (Pre-Owned)

I've never owned an Android device and I sure as gently caress ain't picking the 5C so is there anything in that list worth going for? I'm not looking to drop $100-200 for a phone I'll be using only for work. I just want something solid for emails/web and preferably made this century (my current phone is a Convoy 2 :suicide: )

The MAXX is a nice phone, best on this list by a hair over the Moto X IMO. However, if you can spend the money to get the Turbo, they are on another level for battery and screen. Really, really nice phones.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Allaniis posted:

Worth?

Meh battery, but OIS. If you convert it to GPE it's a good price.

In other news, Lollipop is so broken even old people media are picking up on it:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2871662/broken-lollipop-android-50.html

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

RVProfootballer posted:

Why would airplane mode stop your calendar reminders?? You want your calendar to become worthless if you're somewhere without service?

No but I didn't touch the default calendar notification settings because I assumed it wasn't 8am in the morning for all day events.

nerve posted:

lol dude did you have to go back to bed then. loving bummer!

Yeah but it was quite annoying!!!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Stoat posted:

No but I didn't touch the default calendar notification settings because I assumed it wasn't 8am in the morning for all day events.

Should you be notified of an all day event at... noon? 12:01am? Or perhaps a time that is not inconveniently/disruptively early but likely before something scheduled to start in the morning?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Stoat posted:

Haha! The default setting on Lollipop is to be reminded of all your all-day calendar events at 8am via vibration, even in airplane mode! This woke me up this morning! It was very funny, I am in no way mad!!!
I just made an all-day event a few hours ago and it defaulted to "The day before at 11:50 PM."

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Yeah I set it to remind me at midday. I was just surprised the default setting is 8am. Maybe that's just the lazy slob in me talking though.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
You're a goddamn adult, get out of bed by 8.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Allaniis posted:

Worth?

On or off contract?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Whizbang posted:

You're a goddamn adult, get out of bed by 8.

Not everyone works the same shift as you

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nerve posted:

Not everyone works the same shift as you
But everyone in the world agrees that people who matter work 9am to 5pm.

I say this as someone who has never worked a day shift in my life. In fact, as someone who has never worked day shift it has become second nature to avoid exactly this sort of disruption since it's pretty common that computers and applications assume you're an adult with a M-F, 9-5 schedule.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
If an event is taking up your whole day, do you really need to be reminded of it?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

But everyone in the world agrees that people who matter work 9am to 5pm.

I say this as someone who has never worked a day shift in my life. In fact, as someone who has never worked day shift it has become second nature to avoid exactly this sort of disruption since it's pretty common that computers and applications assume you're an adult with a M-F, 9-5 schedule.

Aren't you and ~*your wife*~ like 60? How have you managed to go your entire life without working a day shift? What line of work are you in? I'm genuinely curious.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Aren't you and ~*your wife*~ like 60? How have you managed to go your entire life without working a day shift? What line of work are you in? I'm genuinely curious.

Night watchman?

VVVV - the best movie

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 21, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I recall an old legend in which two lovers are cursed such that by day, the woman is a hawk while by night, the man is a wolf. Might be a similar situation.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
God dammit, why does the downtime turn itself off?? Happened twice in 10 minutes last night, and it just happened tonight while I was showering.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

God dammit, why does the downtime turn itself off?? Happened twice in 10 minutes last night, and it just happened tonight while I was showering.

Didn't you replace the battery recently? Seems pretty plausible you messed something up or got a bad replacement battery or something.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RVProfootballer posted:

Didn't you replace the battery recently? Seems pretty plausible you messed something up or got a bad replacement battery or something.

I did, but this has been happening since I upgraded to Lollipop.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

b0nes posted:

On or off contract?

Off contract. It'd be crazy to buy one on a contract.

It's currently on sale at Best Buy. 32GB/Blue

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Allaniis posted:

Off contract. It'd be crazy to buy one on a contract.

It's currently on sale at Best Buy. 32GB/Blue

Seems okay. Just note its getting near 2 years old now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My wife works days like a normal person. I'm a Customs broker and freight moves (and clears) overnight. I've been doing this for about 20 years now. It's easy to avoid day shift work if you're naturally so useless between the hours of 0700-1200 that no one will keep you around.

My point was that us oddballs have to adjust to the world, not the other way around. I mean it sucks when the shop calls to tell me my car is ready to be picked up at 1400 in the afternoon or whatever but I can't go around expecting them to contact me at 0300 in the morning because that's convenient for me.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

seravid posted:

Anyone using cheapo QI chargers with current gen phones? My charger (typical generic pad, 2A in / 1A out) worked fine with the Nexus 7 but it can't maintain a connection with my new G3. The phone also complains (every couple of seconds when it detects the pad) that it's charging slowly and I should be using proper LG stuff, so I assume 1A wouldn't cut it even if it did charge; couldn't find 2A out pads on ebay, though.

Cheap pad. My incipo ghost is 1A I think, or less I dunno. And is fine with my G3

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
I can't be arsed to reinstall kitkat on my lollipop n4. does anyone have a OPO invite? I missed their invite free event yesterday. send me one so I can suffer and hate myself. there was another guy who offered but never got around to to it

AF fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 21, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AF posted:

I can't be arsed to reinstall kitkat on my lollipop n4. does anyone have a OPO invite? I missed their invite free event yesterday. send me one so I can suffer and hate myself at ant.b.fong at the google mail. there was another guy who offered but never got around to to it
How long does flashing a factory image take? Maybe five minutes counting the download time?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

How long does flashing a factory image take? Maybe five minutes counting the download time?

Longer than it does to type in a credit card number.

LastInLine posted:

My wife works days like a normal person. I'm a Customs broker and freight moves (and clears) overnight. I've been doing this for about 20 years now. It's easy to avoid day shift work if you're naturally so useless between the hours of 0700-1200 that no one will keep you around.

My point was that us oddballs have to adjust to the world, not the other way around. I mean it sucks when the shop calls to tell me my car is ready to be picked up at 1400 in the afternoon or whatever but I can't go around expecting them to contact me at 0300 in the morning because that's convenient for me.

And this is the loving truth. I've been doing night shift since as long as I can remember, by choice, and literally anything involving the "regular working world" is a hassle and a half.

Content: My G3 is still working great. This is the kind of android device I was looking for in 2013 when I bought a Note 3.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Just had my first crash due to the Lollipop memory leak on the Nexus 6 after about two weeks of uptime. Also, friends are getting 5.0.2 for the 2012 Nexus 7 so I guess it's rolling out now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Longer than it does to type in a credit card number.
The shipping where you are must be amazing.

Although I guess if you have a working phone it's not a big deal.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The solution to "the prematurely released software on my phone doesn't work as smoothly as I would like" is definitely to buy a OPO.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Does the OPO still suck rear end?

Can a normal non-tech savvy consumer buy one without endless RMAs?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

Does the OPO still suck rear end?

Can a normal non-tech savvy consumer buy one without endless RMAs?
Even if you get working hardware I'd have a tough time saying you'll ever have consistently working software.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
On my Nexus 6 on AT&T when I'm on a phone call the data drops to non-LTE, ie: the H icon. Is that typical?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boner Wad posted:

On my Nexus 6 on AT&T when I'm on a phone call the data drops to non-LTE, ie: the H icon. Is that typical?
AT&T doesn't list the Nexus 6 as one of their devices currently supporting VoLTE, so my assumption is that yes as of right now that is typical.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I ended going with the Moto X like everyone here recommended. So far it looks like a pretty awesome phone. Still setting it up and getting everything running but looks like it'll be perfect for work.

Is there any way to get rid of what I imagine are unesseary Verizon Apps? Not seeing anything they do that Google doesn't cover natively in Android.

As hooah said, you can disable them; go into Settings, Apps, All, and then go into each app you want to disable and choose 'disable'. I've got a Verizon 2014 X as well and you should be able to disable literally every Verizon app on the phone. The only two things you can't disable that you may want to are the stock Messaging app (in the event you decide to use another SMS app) and the stock Voicemail app (which is actually very good and I abandoned Google Voice for it).

The X is a great phone, just a little weak on the battery side of things. It does charge pretty fast with even with just the included charger though, and faster still if you shell out for a Turbo charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
So, dilemma time for me.

My work has offered the employees a mobile phone for private (semi) private use. What we can chose between is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 or a iPhone 6 Plus.

My wife already got a Note 3, and I do like the size of it - as far as I can see, boththe phones offered from work are roughly the same size.

So, what should I chose?