Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

M_Gargantua posted:

So great candidate to double my emergency fund? :smug:

Only if you diversify with forex. Go long ruble, but make sure you do it all on margin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Hey good call on EBIX whoever was posting about it earlier.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Man I got REALLY lucky tonight on a dumbass trade from a couple months ago.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Can any of you guys with better data access than me tell me what the highest after-hours trade of CREE was?

edit: Someone pointed me here: http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/cree/after-hours

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 20, 2015

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

it's a good thing I bought VUZI last month now I can sell it and double down on CSIQ

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guess who forgot to buy NFLX options ahead of earnings again? :v:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Pff I think someone even brought up NFLX earnings in this thread.

Yup!

Sokrateez posted:

This should be an exciting week. Some good tech earnings reports coming out this week that should prove volatile in addition to the upcoming Euro volatility; tomorrow we have CREE, IBM and NFLX, Wednesday is EBAY and SNDK and Thursday is SWKS. Personally I'm long volatility on NFLX via a 337.5 straddle that I picked up on Friday.

e: am also long volatility on COH with a straddle at 36. Picked it up near the close on Friday for 1.42, indicating the markets had about a 4% move priced in. This was interesting to me because Coach is typically a volatile stock come earnings day, not seeing movements of less than 4% often. They recently spent a half a bil on a shoe company which surprised some analysts, which indicates to me that COH could surprise again and see its characteristic volatility on earnings day beyond the ~4% valuation.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DNova posted:

Pff I think someone even brought up NFLX earnings in this thread.

Yup!
I've been skimming through posts as this thread has tilted toward entertainment and Robinhood referrals, but yeah, definitely an oversight.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Josh Lyman posted:

Hey I hear there's this great service called Google Calendar which will remind you to do poo poo like this so you don't always forget.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Saint Fu posted:

Hey good call on EBIX whoever was posting about it earlier.

That was me and it feels pretty weird man. I'm up like 50% YTD :stare: thanks EBIX, my taxable account might reach my 401k soon

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I got bent over a table today on CSIQ. No lube.

My Jan covered call options expired worthless on Friday, so I have 2800 shares with a cost basis of around 22.05. Bought Friday and today, so I'm up to 4500 shares and my new cost basis is 21.48. So down more than 10k, most of that today's drop.

Also have 20 contracts of the 24/30 April spread, and I opened the front half of a 20/25 spread today, again 20 contracts in April. Going to wait for the stock to go higher to sell the 25, if it ever does. Down a few thousand on those.

This is tumbling on 0 news. No news. None. 3x volume today on nothing. I guess you can point to Shanghai or the Canadian Dollar or oil or natural gas, but none of these things have any material impact on the company earning money that I am yet aware of. The only thing of note to happen with this company recently is they did an investor presentation last week, and from the tone of the presentation & brief discussion of deals that closed in 4Q, it seems like the quarter is not going to be a disaster. In fact, it seems like it's going to be in-line (my read on it,, they didn't update guidance or anything). The presenter made a brief mention of the drop in the stock price, and basically said that they do not foresee any headwinds this year from oil. Also said that yet again the market is undervaluing its pipeline of projects, and I agree with that vehemently. (Presentation & Audio for any interested -- the Q&A near the end is when he discusses stock price).

Other than the drop in stock price, I would really love for someone to make a bear case on this company. I have no desire to sell at the moment, but it kinda feels like I'm arguing with a wall. Would really love to get an alternative take. I'm suspecting that the drop is just momentum/sector/day traders/assorted other bullshit and it'll work its way out come earnings. That is my current thesis, at least. The company is going to report earnings in approximately 6 weeks, hopefully right around a 1.30 a share for the quarter, putting the 2014 earnings at a hair above $4.00 per share, and putting the TRAILING P/E ratio at 4.8 at 19.20 a share. If nothing else, the stock will hit a shitload of value screens at that point.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Arkane posted:

Other than the drop in stock price, I would really love for someone to make a bear case on this company. I have no desire to sell at the moment, but it kinda feels like I'm arguing with a wall. Would really love to get an alternative take.

It seems like CSIQ just got nailed with the rest of the sector. Cheap energy is bad for solar's image, I guess.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Please tell me the "batman" trendline is a joke about technical traders' over-enthusiasm for finding patterns in charts?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why mess around with solar stock while oil is at 5 year lows and falling.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Please tell me the "batman" trendline is a joke about technical traders' over-enthusiasm for finding patterns in charts?
Haha, I took it seriously, it makes just as much sense as Fibonacci retracements

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

LLCoolJD posted:

It seems like CSIQ just got nailed with the rest of the sector. Cheap energy is bad for solar's image, I guess.

Correct me if I am wrong as I don't claim to be an expert, but it's not just "image" right? I mean, if there are suddenly cheaper energy options out there, solar use would decrease, no? Seems pretty straightforward to me.

But again, I'm no expert.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Arkane posted:

My Jan covered call options expired worthless on Friday, so I have 2800 shares with a cost basis of around 22.05. Bought Friday and today, so I'm up to 4500 shares and my new cost basis is 21.48. So down more than 10k, most of that today's drop.

I'm curious why you didn't roll those calls before they expired? You at least could have taken in some fat premium today.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

a posting ghost posted:

Why mess around with solar stock while oil is at 5 year lows and falling.

Oil is a transportation fuel (less than 1% of electricity in the US is generated by oil, and <5% worldwide) and solar generates electricity. They don't compete.

Additionally, many countries and states have clean energy targets for electricity generation that they're trying to meet that aren't altered by swings in commodity prices.

Finally, solar is becoming cost competitive. The price of a kilowatt hour generated by a solar panel has dropped by 75% over the past few years. And as solar panels are becoming more efficient and costs of manufacturing decreases, the regions where solar is appealing on a cost basis expands dramatically.

Also...virtually every single analyst that has weighed in on solar since the oil collapse has said that they don't expect the price decline to have a meaningful impact on the industry since the two do not compete. Not that analysts are necessarily right, but there's near-unanimity in this opinion. We'll see I guess.

Kal Torak posted:

I'm curious why you didn't roll those calls before they expired? You at least could have taken in some fat premium today.

Was going to do exactly this last week, but I kept waiting for a price spike to do it that never materialized. Live and learn.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 21, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm interesting

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kal Torak posted:

Correct me if I am wrong as I don't claim to be an expert, but it's not just "image" right? I mean, if there are suddenly cheaper energy options out there, solar use would decrease, no? Seems pretty straightforward to me.

But again, I'm no expert.

This is the first relevant image I could find with a GIS:

If we assume that most solar customers are buying panels to reduce the long-term costs they pay for domestic electricity, it would not appear to be particularly sensitive to oil prices.

Apollo_Creed
Aug 4, 2002

I am the Master of Disaster.

District Selectman posted:

That was me and it feels pretty weird man. I'm up like 50% YTD :stare: thanks EBIX, my taxable account might reach my 401k soon

Just wanted to give you a shoutout here. I jumped into EBIX under $10 back in 2013 thanks to your quick mention (I did some of my own DD as well). I sold this spring in the $16-17 range and felt pretty smart... I guess I should have held, but I can't get too burnt up about a double.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Kal Torak posted:

I've been rolling weekly calls on the CSIQ I'm holding at ~.25 delta, and getting 1%/week out of it. Feels good man. :parrot:

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Apollo_Creed posted:

Just wanted to give you a shoutout here. I jumped into EBIX under $10 back in 2013 thanks to your quick mention (I did some of my own DD as well). I sold this spring in the $16-17 range and felt pretty smart... I guess I should have held, but I can't get too burnt up about a double.

:hfive:

I took profits at a couple points along the way too, and it's totally understandable given the history. I sold a chunk in that same ball park last year and felt great about it too, and then I sold some more just under $19 this year with no hesitation, after the IRS announcement. I sold at the IRS announcement because despite being *great* news, previous great news had only yielded short term spikes followed by months of atrophy.

This looks like the good news that will finally stick. Last short data published is from 12/31, and the stock is up almost 50% from that point. New short interest to be published 1/25. If it's still high, and I have to think it is, then there is still a major short squeeze in play. Market cap is currently $860M, a mere 16% away from the magic $1B, a very important if not arbitrary dividing line to get on major radars.

By way, I got bludgeoned on CSIQ too, but I only had my toe dipped in. I like it though so I put a whole foot in yesterday. Seems like a drop on no news related to the company, so I'm willing to stick it out. I don't believe anything has changed fundamentally since I got in. May also start writing calls on it like my man Dwight over there.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Thanks for the heads up on Arcam btw, after some reading I bought in and it has played out nicely so far.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I do know some technical analysis people are freaking out about solar, and their drawings have portended a doom for solar stocks this year.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
I'm sure this is something that's been discussed ad nauseum in this thread, but, uh, it's 500 pages so... is there any reason to suspect that over the course of say, 5 years, I could do better actively trading stocks than if I just parked my cash in an index fund? Like, assuming for the sake of argument that my financial future is secure, I have X thousands of dollars to play around with and I quit my day job and just traded stocks all day. (I know, big assumption.)

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Thanks for the heads up on Arcam btw, after some reading I bought in and it has played out nicely so far.

I think they are going to crush earnings, which is in a few weeks. They sell in small quantities, so selling 8 printers instead of 5 is a big deal. Anyway it's a long term play but I expect something good short term too.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

logical phalluses posted:

I'm sure this is something that's been discussed ad nauseum in this thread, but, uh, it's 500 pages so... is there any reason to suspect that over the course of say, 5 years, I could do better actively trading stocks than if I just parked my cash in an index fund? Like, assuming for the sake of argument that my financial future is secure, I have X thousands of dollars to play around with and I quit my day job and just traded stocks all day. (I know, big assumption.)

Trading stocks and options is higher risk than parking money in an index fund. Higher risk means you can do better or worse than the index funds. So, sure, there's a reason to suspect you could do better. There's also reason to suspect you could do worse. If you want us to give you permission to play with your money, you have it! Please send $25 for the annual membership fee (this includes a double pack of Tums).

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yes, but you have to be good at it. Also short term capital gains vs long term

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

is there any reason to suspect that over the course of say, 5 years, I could do better actively trading stocks than if I just parked my cash in an index fund?

"Could"? You definitely could. "Would"? There are a lot of reasons to suspect that in fact you would not do better. Jump in with your extra $$ and have fun!

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Theres a difference between day trading for income and actively managing stock investments.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Alternate advice. Follow your heart. Trade options on margin.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

What about CEFL?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Never day trade your own money for an income. Always trade other people's money. Same goes with businesses, shelter your own assets and gamble with those of others.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, it's a joke. Although I could probably start a paid investment advice website using the Batman trend line and similar concepts.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Yes, it's a joke. Although I could probably start a paid investment advice website using the Batman trend line and similar concepts.

I recognized you were joking, clearly, but I'll admit I'm seeing fat Batmans everywhere now. Very foreboding.

Also, I'm in on CSIQ. I don't know all the solar companies as well as I probably should, but I'm sold on general industry prospects. (Edit: and it's already up, well done guys).

jmzero fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 21, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Why doesn't Robinhood let you buy CSIQ?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Goddamn I love making thousands of dollars while sitting in class*. Thanks NFLX. Today AMC I'm watching SNDK and will probably be picking up a SWKS straddle or two.

*makes up for my aborted COH trade. Pretty sure they changed the date on me at the last minute!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody in on FXCM since today or yesterday? I'm in. Oh boy am I in. Small account so I can't play with the big boys but I am to the wall overnight from 2.24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

a posting ghost posted:

Anybody in on FXCM since today or yesterday? I'm in. Oh boy am I in. Small account so I can't play with the big boys but I am to the wall overnight from 2.24.

I'm in.