Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Gyshall posted:

Here you go, you lazy goon

forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440

Aww, I read the op and it didn't mention appliances. :saddowns:

I'll go post there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

GrAviTy84 posted:

depends on the cut. Leaner cuts like filet can go rarer, I like fattier cuts like ribeye more done so you render more of the fat.

Agreed, but don't you usually add fat to the filet? Seems like that would be getting into more than "salt and pepper" seasoning

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

It always feels like "rare with salt and pepper and NOTHING ELSE" is some machismo bullshit because with a little more effort and ingredients you can make a devastatingly good steak that makes the first kind look pretty boring.

I put forth that given the exact same piece of meat, medium-rare is going to taste and texture way better than rare.

Machismo or not, I tend to prefer steak pretty rare, past what most people like and prepared very simply. I am a fan of a little butter, but salt+pepper is just fine for my tastes. Maybe a little blue cheese crumble on the side to mix into the juices. Ive been championing salt+pepper +butter amongst my circle of friends, because I think people over-think seasoning and its usually too much/not necessary. Like my friend who finds the need to marinade every cut of meat he has in a mix of 30 spices and seasonings. Ends up tasting like curry ketchup no matter what he says is in it. Especially after you cook the meat so well done its like leather. blech.

But really, what Grav said ^^^

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Machismo or not, I tend to prefer steak pretty rare, past what most people like and prepared very simply. I am a fan of a little butter, but salt+pepper is just fine for my tastes. Maybe a little blue cheese crumble on the side to mix into the juices. Ive been championing salt+pepper +butter amongst my circle of friends, because I think people over-think seasoning and its usually too much/not necessary. Like my friend who finds the need to marinade every cut of meat he has in a mix of 30 spices and seasonings. Ends up tasting like curry ketchup no matter what he says is in it. Especially after you cook the meat so well done its like leather. blech.

But really, what Grav said ^^^

Gross. You can totally overseason and ruin a steak, sounds like your friend should stick with fajitas. I personally do stick with butter + garlic and sometimes an herb.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

that is all it needs

you can do other stuff but they're not necessary to make a good steak.

Fire and salt is all that's necessary to make a good steak, but if someone comes in asking for a good sauce for steak it's more helpful to talk about steak au poivre than it is to just repeat that like a mantra.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

a well smoked rack of ribs with a good rub is self sauced. The gelatin melts, combines with the bark, the rub, and is plenty sticky and flavorful. Sauce is a bandaid for failed technique

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I had a STEAK CONVERSION last time I was in Amarillo and while I have always preferred my steaks cooked bleu with just salt and pepper and maybe a little butter, I now prefer them cooked bleu with just salt and pepper and maybe a little butter, but also with grilled onions and jalapenos.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

for the love of gently caress use the word 'blue'

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

fromage bleu :v:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

for the love of gently caress use the word 'blue'

/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Gotta use the right terminology for viande rouge.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
For me steak seasoning depends on the quality of the beef, for stuff like USDA prime and up I like to keep it simple, kosher salt, pepper, butter and maybe a tiny bit of garlic. For standard grocery store cuts I usually do a pan sauce with some finely minced onion, garlic, sliced mushrooms, butter and the pan drippings all cooked together. For doneness I like medium rare, maybe a little closer to medium than rare.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

random pedantic bit, but "choice, select, prime" don't have anything to do with flavor, they are measures of fat content and marbling.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

To be clear when I say that salt and pepper is too much I'm not saying sauce it the gently caress up, just add a few more things for an incredible improvement.

Too bad we can't have a steak cookoff over the internet because that sounds like something I would enjoy doing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

steak with demiglace is pretty kush, tho, jus sayin

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

GrAviTy84 posted:

random pedantic bit, but "choice, select, prime" don't have anything to do with flavor, they are measures of fat content and marbling.

Fat content and marbling have to do with the flavor though

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

goodness posted:

Fat content and marbling have to do with the flavor though

not necessarily, it just tells you how the cow was finished. There are super flavorful ultra lean grass fed steaks. There are bland fatblobs.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

bland fatblobs.

But enough about SA

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Is there a particular name for when people are tossing herbs like thyme into the oil before throwing the meat on? Is that blooming?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nuru posted:

Is there a particular name for when people are tossing herbs like thyme into the oil before throwing the meat on? Is that blooming?

Yep.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
There's nothing quite like a couple spoonfuls of A-1 or Worcestershire sauce on the top of a steak. Maybe even some old fashioned catsup. Or custard.

MmmhMMMmm.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

GrAviTy84 posted:

a well smoked rack of ribs with a good rub is self sauced. The gelatin melts, combines with the bark, the rub, and is plenty sticky and flavorful. Sauce is a bandaid for failed technique

I'd love to do a well smoked rack of ribs, but I live in an apartment and I don't have access to a way of smoking them. My butcher has ribs on sale this week, and I'm just wondering if there's a way to make decent ribs without a grill/smoker.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I'd love to do a well smoked rack of ribs, but I live in an apartment and I don't have access to a way of smoking them. My butcher has ribs on sale this week, and I'm just wondering if there's a way to make decent ribs without a grill/smoker.

I would say just invest in a cast iron pan and be glad you can at least do steaks. I'm in the same living situation, I wouldn't try ribs.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Put them in a glass dish, cover with saran wrap, microwave for twenty minutes, then broil them to brown.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would agree but also assert that certain sauce based styles like Carolina etc are quite good and not intended as a bandaid and should not be avoided because of the above opinion.

I personally don't make mine sauced most times but love trying a good one.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Any place I should be looking online for a dry aged prime rib besides Lobels?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Judging from the last few posts about ribs I'm likely to get in trouble for suggesting a slow cooker. But I've had good experiences with short ribs in a slow cooker atop a bed of onions and a little bit of BBQ sauce.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Would ground Flax-seed be an acceptable binding agent for lentil burgers in lieu of breadcrumbs and nuts or whatever?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Do you have an oven? If so, use an oven.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I made meat loaf for the first time last night. (I don't cook a lot with meat.) The recipe I used is basically what my mother told me in a two minute conversation about it. It turned out great. She had me put a little bit of water, like 1/4" or less, in my (13x9) pan. I was thinking of trying it with a different liquid next time. I assume it would work well with stock. How about beer? Wine? Would either of these be worth doing? I use ground beef for mine.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

guppy posted:

I made meat loaf for the first time last night. (I don't cook a lot with meat.) The recipe I used is basically what my mother told me in a two minute conversation about it. It turned out great. She had me put a little bit of water, like 1/4" or less, in my (13x9) pan. I was thinking of trying it with a different liquid next time. I assume it would work well with stock. How about beer? Wine? Would either of these be worth doing? I use ground beef for mine.

I think we need a little more info. When you cooked this, did you have the meatloaf sitting free form in the middle of the 13X9 pan surrounded by water? Or Was the meatloaf in a loaf pan which was then put in the 13x9 pan and then a shallow water bath was added around that?

Because I'm guessing you didn't make a 13x9 meatloaf, as that would be a meatcake. :)

The short version is if the meat was sitting in the liquid directly it might pick up some flavor of that liquid. If instead the loaf was in its own pan and that was surrounded by liquid, then no. Personally speaking, while you might get a little flavor from having the loaf surrounded by flavored liquid, the idea of having to clean off any fossilized remains of beer or wine or stock that has been fused to my baking dish is making me itchy in a way I can't understand or express very well. If I wanted to add flavor like that, I'd probably make a panade (soak torn up pieces of bread in whatever liquid to make a paste and add that to the meat mixture). I don't know how that would work with liquids that aren't milk though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh, sorry. It was in a 13x9 glass baking dish, directly in the dish, but just a loaf sitting in the middle surrounded by sliced potatoes, not filling the pan, with a little water poured into the dish. No secondary loaf pan.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

guppy posted:

Oh, sorry. It was in a 13x9 glass baking dish, directly in the dish, but just a loaf sitting in the middle surrounded by sliced potatoes, not filling the pan, with a little water poured into the dish. No secondary loaf pan.

I'm guessing the water was to help the potato slices to keep from burning or drying out. A flavorful liquid would mostly flavor the potatoes it was in contact with.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

Drifter posted:

Would ground Flax-seed be an acceptable binding agent for lentil burgers in lieu of breadcrumbs and nuts or whatever?

Soak the ground flax in a bit of water. I've seen this used in vegan cooking as an egg substitute, so it should work in a veggie burger.

Iggore
May 6, 2009
Folks,

How would you pimp an already decent but basic pea soup?

Regards,

Iggore

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Iggore posted:

Folks,

How would you pimp an already decent but basic pea soup?

Regards,

Iggore

Hambone.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Also thyme and black pepper.

Yours forever

Wiggles

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I am startled at the idea of a pea soup without the hambone

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Even better than the bone, just let the little guy soak in the pot.

I'm not sure what a basic split pea soup entails, but a quick saute of the garlic and shallots/onions and adding tarragon to it is always tasty. And some cheese at the end.

I do know some people recommend water instead of broth for a cleaner 'pea' flavor, but whatevs. I've cooked mainly with broth and never really noticed a difference between the two.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I had some eggs to use up so I tried making lemon curd for the first time last night. I used Alton Brown's recipe, and everything seemed to look and taste good, but when I looked at it this morning, I had lemon soup with a quarter inch of softened butter floating on top of it. Not sure what I did wrong. Maybe I didn't get the curd hot enough on the double boiler? A lot of people in the comments are saying it takes longer (15-25 min) to thicken, so is it worth attempting to heat up/thicken again before tossing it? Also, is it okay to use a hand mixer instead of blowing out my arm whisking a second night in a row?