Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I've never watched it, but this BBC article makes it sound like I've been missing out.

Soaps' unluckiest man? Hollyoaks' Dodger is leaving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I haven't watched Hollyoaks for years. Does it still frequently feature gratuitous underwear / obscured nudity scenes? Honestly, eating your tea while Ali Baston, Elize Du Toit and Tiffany Mulheron pranced around in their frillies was the only reason to tune in...

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Oben posted:

Also, the women are:
1. A girl who just got out of prison on a technicality (she murdered someone) where she was secretly pregnant with the brother's baby.
2. The brother's girlfriend, who is married to the brother's Dad and just had his Dad's :downs: baby.
3. The brother's twin sister, who the brother had accidentally had a daughter with when they were young. She's bat-poo poo crazy and had her brother handcuffed to a radiator for the last month.

See, this is what happens when soaps and their recurring characters run for too long, you get family histories like that. I read that three times and I still can't make any sense of it. Perhaps you could draw us all a helpful diagram?

I'm looking forward to Wolf Hall. The books were excellent, even though Mantel did a bit of a hatchet job on Sir Thomas More, portraying the author of Utopia, a genuine Renaissance man and well-spoken humanist as nothing more an intolerant religious fanatic. (Yes, he was a bit of a bastard when it came to the old burning of English Protestants, but her pet hero, Thomas Cromwell, wasn't exactly backwards about merrily executing Catholics when his turn came)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pablo Bluth posted:

I haven't watched Hollyoaks for years. Does it still frequently feature gratuitous underwear / obscured nudity scenes? Honestly, eating your tea while Ali Baston, Elize Du Toit and Tiffany Mulheron pranced around in their frillies was the only reason to tune in...

Nah, it's far too grim for that kind of thing these days.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's actually getting better, and no trolls so far

e: In probably the least unexpected twist of all time, Maisie IS THE CYBERBULLY. It works on so many levels
I'd like to grasp what the gently caress is going on here, too. Did she literally troll herself?

Irisi posted:

See, this is what happens when soaps and their recurring characters run for too long, you get family histories like that. I read that three times and I still can't make any sense of it. Perhaps you could draw us all a helpful diagram?
The only family trees in fiction more complex than soaps are the X-Men, and that's only because they have clones, time travel and alternate realities on top of the regular soap-opera drama.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Just read that Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe is back on January 29th. About time, too.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Her off Game of Thrones did some 'harmless' cyberbullying and was targeted because of it (or was she?)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The moral, basically:

https://mobile.twitter.com/fucktyler/status/285670822264307712

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011
I'm looking forward to Wolf Hall although I'm a bit confused about how they're going to get round the fact that the third book hasn't been published (finished?) yet. Or is this an adaptation of Wolf Hall as in the first book of the trilogy, rather than Wolf Hall the trilogy?

In vaguely related news I found this documentary on the last days of Anne Boleyn on iPlayer the other night when looking for something to fill an hour: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p015vhp1. Despite the fairly superfluous reconstructions it was interesting hearing the various historians debating the reasons behind the sequence of events, and dishing out the odd burn on each other.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

radioaktivitat posted:

I'm looking forward to Wolf Hall although I'm a bit confused about how they're going to get round the fact that the third book hasn't been published (finished?) yet. Or is this an adaptation of Wolf Hall as in the first book of the trilogy, rather than Wolf Hall the trilogy?

It's just a six episode adaptation of Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies. There's room left for another series when the third book comes out I believe.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ohh poo poo, I had no idea Would I Lie To You was back for an eighth series. Time to catch up. :allears:

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
Yeh its been quite good, didn't realise it was new, so used to repeats of Dave.

Also who saw that guy get knocked over by a biker live on ITV news, love the slow reaction of everyone around "should we help? ehhh...." and the reporter totally blanking it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's the best thing when either Mitchell or Mack are up because it's a 99% chance they're lying and watching Mack trying to make obvious bullshit seem true is hilarious, especially since they always give him lies that involve some impossible and demonstrable skill.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

It's the best thing when either Mitchell or Mack are up because it's a 99% chance they're lying and watching Mack trying to make obvious bullshit seem true is hilarious, especially since they always give him lies that involve some impossible and demonstrable skill.

The best part is Mitchell's poo poo-eating grin when Mack gets to the part on the card that's designed to gently caress him over. You hear that pause as Lee processes what they want him to claim, and then they cut to :smug:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There are so many clips I could post about that exact thing, like when Mack got the lie that all his ex-girlfriends' first names spelled out "BERMUDA" in that order and Mitchell jumped at it all :smuggo: asking for the names.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Mowglis Haircut posted:

It's just a six episode adaptation of Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies. There's room left for another series when the third book comes out I believe.

6 episodes for 2 fat books?

I've only read the first one. I was hoping this series would be a reminder of who everyone was before I read the second one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

There are so many clips I could post about that exact thing, like when Mack got the lie that all his ex-girlfriends' first names spelled out "BERMUDA" in that order and Mitchell jumped at it all :smuggo: asking for the names.

Of course, then there's the 1-in-10 where it's true, like the teabag throwing.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Irisi posted:

I'm looking forward to Wolf Hall. The books were excellent, even though Mantel did a bit of a hatchet job on Sir Thomas More, portraying the author of Utopia, a genuine Renaissance man and well-spoken humanist as nothing more an intolerant religious fanatic. (Yes, he was a bit of a bastard when it came to the old burning of English Protestants, but her pet hero, Thomas Cromwell, wasn't exactly backwards about merrily executing Catholics when his turn came)

You know who else served up distorted portrayals of historical figures in dramatic works? That's right!

:v:

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
Deirdre Barlow just died. :smith:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Volcano Style posted:

Deirdre Barlow just died. :smith:

Aw man. :(

Farewell, Deirdre Barlow. Your giant glasses and abominable taste in husbands will live on in our hearts.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Anyone see the latest room 101? Some weird Canadian on there who wanted to ban nappies. Talked about :tinfoil: tinfoil poo poo about cheryl cole being a robot by david cameron :tinfoil: and about how bread and pasty etc aren't food and how evil yeast and gluten is. :wtc: Was the most cringe / awkward thing I've seen in awhile. :psyduck:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 22, 2015

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Fluo posted:

Anyone see the latest room 101? Some weird Canadian on there who wanted to ban nappies. Talked about :tinfoil: tinfoil poo poo about cheryl cole being a robot by david cameron :tinfoil: and about how bread and pasty etc aren't food and how evil yeast and gluten is. :wtc: Was the most cringe / awkward thing I've seen in awhile. :psyduck:

While I haven't seen the episode I assume you're talking about Katherine Ryan. Who is a comedian. Whose words should not be taken seriously.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

While I haven't seen the episode I assume you're talking about Katherine Ryan. Who is a comedian. Whose words should not be taken seriously.

I know she is a comedian (I remember her on QI and she said some kookie poo poo too) but if shes not being serious, the joke just flops both on QI and Room 101 where everything just goes awkward dead air stares of :wtc:, if its an attempt at humour it falls flat on all counts. D:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah whenever I've seen her on QI she's pretty good.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Nah whenever I've seen her on QI she's pretty good.

She is, when she doesn't go all kookie. :I

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

So Wolf Hall. Damien Lewis as Henry VIII.

What the gently caress? I cannot take those pictures seriously.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So Wolf Hall. Damien Lewis as Henry VIII.

What the gently caress? I cannot take those pictures seriously.

What's wrong with him? He's a good actor, he's charismatic and as handsome as Henry VIII apparently was in his earlier days, before injuries, gluttony and lust took their hideous toll on him.

I thought it was amazing, the dialogue, lighting and scene setting was all to die for. Mark Rylance as Cromwell was glorious, watching from the shadows and exchanging wickedly sharp conversational barbs with Thomas More and Anne Boleyn (she was great too, the actress got that mix of seductive charm and relentless bitch down pat)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Loved the books, loved the show. I don't think you could cast Henry any better than with Lewis. The other roles were also great, Norfolk with his jingle jangles and me wanting to smash Cromwell's father's head in as much as in the book.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I need to catch that then.
Bit of fantasy casting, who would play the big fat Henry 8 we all know and love? A slightly younger Brian Blessed?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I'm watching Big Brother because of Michelle Visage and this is the first time I've watched it since probably the first season and it's goddamn amazing it's seriously the Onion's Sex House brought to life

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Bit of fantasy casting, who would play the big fat Henry 8 we all know and love? A slightly younger Brian Blessed?

Brian Blessed actually plays in this one, from 1973: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0078d9y/henry-viii-and-his-six-wives As the Duke of Suffolk! Such a near miss...

Now, I have to admit Lewis is a bit on the skinny side for a good feasting monarch, even in his younger years.

(by Joos van Cleve, ca 1530.1535)

Someone ginger, rotund and glamorous...hmmm.

James Corden might just work. Here seen in rehearsal, "King Henry learns of Anne's second miscarriage".

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dream fat-Henry VIII has to be Mark Addy, but then he basically already played him.

Irisi posted:

What's wrong with him? He's a good actor, he's charismatic and as handsome as Henry VIII apparently was in his earlier days, before injuries, gluttony and lust took their hideous toll on him.

I thought it was amazing, the dialogue, lighting and scene setting was all to die for. Mark Rylance as Cromwell was glorious, watching from the shadows and exchangingp wickedly sharp conversational barbs with Thomas More and Anne Boleyn tl(she was great too, the actress got that mix of seductive charm and relentless bitch down pat)

Oh he's a great actor, but he just feels so small and unimposing. The pictures of him as Henry look like a teenager in his first school uniform, the kind with "growing room"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Get Benedict Wong to do it.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

Fluo posted:

I know she is a comedian (I remember her on QI and she said some kookie poo poo too) but if shes not being serious, the joke just flops both on QI and Room 101 where everything just goes awkward dead air stares of :wtc:, if its an attempt at humour it falls flat on all counts. D:

This is a good moment to bring up Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast again, since no one's mentioned it for a while and it's been having some really good guests. Also they've started uploading all of them to youtube with video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeTR1v5lmXE Katherine Ryan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-usTbGDZceU Victoria Coren Mitchell revealing a couple of embarrassing things about David Mitchell

Richard Herring has done 60 (!) of them now, latest was with Sue Perkins.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
When I went to the Edinburgh Fringe I think it was Katherine Ryan's first time doing a show in the UK (Little Miss Conception) and it was amazing.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

lionlegs posted:

This is a good moment to bring up Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast again, since no one's mentioned it for a while and it's been having some really good guests. Also they've started uploading all of them to youtube with video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeTR1v5lmXE Katherine Ryan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-usTbGDZceU Victoria Coren Mitchell revealing a couple of embarrassing things about David Mitchell

Richard Herring has done 60 (!) of them now, latest was with Sue Perkins.

I love those podcasts. The Steve Coogan and Stewart Lee ones are especially good.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The one with Armando Iannucci and Graham Linehan is also a pro listen, in which Richard finally confirms that he did indeed create Alan Partridge.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

My personal favourite is the Mary Beard episode. When I wasn't laughing I was just struck with this ridiculous grin because of the surprisingly great chemistry between her and Richard. She actually managed to make him look tame when she started describing the more lurid parts of Roman art and mythology.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Anyone been watching the Running Wild with Bear Grylls shows? Im not sure if its a US or UK thing (Im guessing US as its all US ceebs) but theyve been great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Mary Beard is fantastic usually anyway, but Richard did bring out the best in her.