Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Broken Box posted:

From the looks of how powerful missiles are on your strike craft have the Turanic missile corvettes been made worthwhile in Cataclysm? For how long it takes to pick up heavier firepower of your own it seems that might make a decent intermediary ship if so.

It's friggin' impossible to salvage missile corvettes, I tried in HW1. Might be doable in Cataclysm thanks to the way damaged ships slow down and generally underperform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Kibayasu posted:

Mines are also easier to clear with just a big group in sphere formation as they'll move with the mines rather than toward them.

And I was waiting for the next mission but that is why capturing stuff just isn't a thing you do in this game, particularly how you can't capture things unless you have the Support Units. Come to think of it, that Heavy Cruiser might be the only viable capture target in the entire game, where it actually is better than the ships you can build at the moment compared to their SU cost.

I also might be remembering incorrectly but I think destroying that Heavy Cruiser triggers the base fleet to attack which was a fun thing to learn when I was still a couple Nav Points away from the slipgate. Might have just not caught an interceptor squadron or something and can't remember though.

You remember correctly. Destroying or capturing the cruiser causes the base to psychically know where you are, send it's entire fleet at you, plus an additional spawn of two destroyers with supporting frigates and interceptors. Even with the cruiser, you WILL have problems with that amout of firepower against you.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Can anything at the Taidanii base detect your leeches?

:getin:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Captain Bravo posted:

Nope.
The last time I finished this level, my fleet contained a cruiser *and* two destroyers. :getin:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

Proximity sensors but I don't think they have any.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Nuramor posted:

Nope.
The last time I finished this level, my fleet contained a cruiser *and* two destroyers. :getin:

The absolute best thing about the Homeworld series is how rewarding it can be if you have a lot of time, a lot of patience, and a sack full of 'sperg. :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, that cruier just sitting there on its lonesome and letting it get leeched freely just screams "salvage me!"

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Polaron posted:

Also, you're losing your ACVs to the minefield because you're keeping them in ACV mode. They maneuver and dodge much more slowly when linked and a single mine kills two craft instead of just one.

berryjon also really likes putting his strike craft in Aggressive, which causes them to take far higher losses than normal.

You see, Strike Craft are altered the most by stance differences. In Evasive, Strike Craft disregard formation and will attempt to break off and evade all enemies. If ordered to attack, they will break off in 2-unit pairs and will fire short bursts then peel away. In Normal, Strike Craft will attempt to stay in formation, but will dodge out of it if they need to avoid enemy fire.

In Aggressive, Strike Craft don't evade incoming fire (although their speed and maneuverability means a fair bit of it will miss) and will attempt to stay in formation. This is useful if you're trying to finish off a target no matter what (especially if combined with Sphere formation), but for 90% of combat I find Aggressive Strike Craft to take far too many losses and be far too unwieldy.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 22, 2015

Calculus Man
May 6, 2007
Forever vigilant against the evil power series!
So, did the builders of the Naggarok send out other ships to other galaxies? Did those also pick up the Beast in hyperspace? Were they able to contain it as well as the Naggarok? What I'm asking is: are there galaxies out there just filled to the brim with Beast? And if so, what are they planning on doing?

Also: I too captured that cruiser every time I played. It's awesome.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
What I always assumed happend is that the naggarok people sent the ship out, it never returned, assumed it exploded and tried something diffrent instead.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Calculus Man posted:

So, did the builders of the Naggarok send out other ships to other galaxies? Did those also pick up the Beast in hyperspace? Were they able to contain it as well as the Naggarok? What I'm asking is: are there galaxies out there just filled to the brim with Beast? And if so, what are they planning on doing?

If you've played the game then you know just as much as anyone else.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Are the Sentinels/Leech useful at all in MP? They seem extremely niche.

EponymousMrYar posted:

One note about Sentinel's that sort of throws a wrench into them is that you want to have 12 of them for maximum shield coverage.
Any less and the shield can get truncated, exposing a portion of the ship.

You can sort of see it when the sentinels are setting up around the Caal-Shto, it appears that the shield clips through part of the engine housing. The shield would do nothing there since no shots are hitting it before hitting the Caal-Shto.
It's interesting for a game this early to have some pretty advanced behind-the-scenes stuff. The shields work by intercepting shots and for the most part hitboxes in Homeworld games are the models of the ships themselves. Also each individual 'polygon' of the shield is just that: individual, when one facing is depleted the others stay up. The only time the whole thing collapses is if the majority of the sentinels are killed or they're ordered to do something else.

I always found it nifty and have continued to wonder how other games can get their shielding so wrong when Cataclysm managed it so long ago.

Yeah, now that I think of it I'm pretty sure this is the best capture target in the game. It never occurred to me though because I just covered it in 12 or so leeches and let it die while I cleaned out the mines and killed the interceptor+minelayer spawn.

I always wondered, since I wasn't aware of HW at the time: beyond the game's story, was HW particularly groundbreaking in the tech side of stuff? And in the development of RTS's in general, since they were the ticket back then. After all I can't think of many RTS'sof the time that can manage so many individual units, in 3D movement, with so many different mechanics, and firing mostly individualized projectiles. I could see a group of Missile Destroyers bringing an old computer to its knees if they all emptied the tubes at the same time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Calculus Man posted:

I like to think the Beast was a single thing chilling out in hyperspace, maybe because its creators/last victims stuck it in hyperspace in a remote void between galaxies so the likelihood of it finding someone or being found was as low as possible. Based on the map in the engineer's report at the close of the mission, the Naggarok spent a long time in hyperspace. So, what would you do if you were a lonely space monster trapped in the middle of nowhere when all of a sudden a ship comes cruising through your neighborhood? Guy just put his thumb out to catch a lift, and welp

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
If you take the Heavy Cruiser and (as another poster suggested) the capships guarding the research station, is it then possible to successfully destroy all the Taidani in this mission?

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!
Man, doing that mission so cleanly (when you know all the triggers) just bears no resemblance to just how horribly BAD it can go if you don't. Even on the easier difficulties, it is totally possible to lose your whole fleet if you don't react fast enough during the mission and/or if you 8X speed and stay to clean the map of resources after the mission (as opposed to before, like here). On a first playthrough, this is the first "we're not loving around anymore" mission.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I like to think the Beast was a single thing chilling out in hyperspace, maybe because its creators/last victims stuck it in hyperspace in a remote void between galaxies so the likelihood of it finding someone or being found was as low as possible. Based on the map in the engineer's report at the close of the mission, the Naggarok spent a long time in hyperspace. So, what would you do if you were a lonely space monster trapped in the middle of nowhere when all of a sudden a ship comes cruising through your neighborhood? Guy just put his thumb out to catch a lift, and welp

Considering how wast intergalactic void should be even in hyperspace... then again, who's to say it's not like warp or anything?

Alternatively, it's what fills the void between galaxies. Beast. Just like space monsters in... Fading Suns, I guess?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

JcDent posted:

Considering how wast intergalactic void should be even in hyperspace... then again, who's to say it's not like warp or anything?

Alternatively, it's what fills the void between galaxies. Beast. Just like space monsters in... Fading Suns, I guess?

I'm not sure if this counts as spoiler for the series as a whole, since it's never outright stated as much as implied (so berryjon, just let me know if you want me to remove it), but the Kushan/Taiidan/probably Bentusi are all likely descended from humans who came to the Homeworld galaxy from our own, so presumably if the Beast really did fill the void between galaxies it would have been an issue long before now.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

vmdvr posted:

Man, doing that mission so cleanly (when you know all the triggers) just bears no resemblance to just how horribly BAD it can go if you don't. Even on the easier difficulties, it is totally possible to lose your whole fleet if you don't react fast enough during the mission and/or if you 8X speed and stay to clean the map of resources after the mission (as opposed to before, like here). On a first playthrough, this is the first "we're not loving around anymore" mission.

Even when you know all the triggers, some missions just go that bad.

I had to re-record mission 10 (where we get that) simply because the enemy is just that tough, and I would rather not start mission 11 with my Processor over 100KM from the Kuun-Lan.

Polaron posted:

Time. Doing that is extremely slow. Plus, you're never really hurting for RUs in this game. It can be funny to eat an enemy's resourcers in multiplayer, though.

Speaking of, berryjon you have so many workers. I'm pretty sure if you retired half of them and the second harvester you could have enough room for another frigate or two at least.

I'm also curious to see how long you manage to keep that heavy cruiser around, given how much of a liability it can be (it's the only ship above frigate-sized that the Beast can infest). I managed to get the thing to the last mission once and I must have beaten this game a dozen times.

Mission 7 exists for this exact reason. Don't worry. I get my rear end kicked good and honest, despite my best efforts.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
You know, I was joking when I said that this game reminded me of Event Horizon, but what happened to the NAGGAROK is almost exactly the plot of Event Horizon :stare:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can just see a Taidani engineer describing the effects of Kushan shiphacking in the same tones as our poor guy describing the Beast.

So does this imply that Somtaaw-capped ships are remote controlled and the original crew is still aboard, alternatively twiddling their thumbs and screaming in terror? I guess I'd rather assume that they were spaced as part of the hack, or moved off ship and replaced between missions (while we're watching the Bink video)

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I can imagine the hack including a message from the Somtaaw saying something along the lines of "Hi, we're Higaarans and we're now in control of your ship. All who wish to join our fleet, say 'aye' and raise a hand. All who don't, you know where the escape pods are - good luck in deep space, or back at base when you have to tell your bosses that you lost a Heavy Cruiser to a mining kiith." Just hiring the crew on, it's not like Somtaaw's especially picky about where they get their capable recruits from.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Calculus Man posted:

I always just kinda took it as a hazard of traveling extreme distances in hyperspace. That, if there's a lot of empty space between two galaxies, then the void in between is "here be dragons" territory. Of course, no one actually knew for sure, because the Naggarok was exploring unknown space.

The writer of this game's plot actually ended up as the designer for Sword of the Stars, a 4x strategy game. There too, if you make particularly long "nodespace" jumps with two of the playable factions (each faction has different drive technology, only two use nodespace, which is basically wormholes), you run the risk of encountering strange, ethereal creatures that can destroy your ships. They don't function like the Beast, but they're still unknown entities in the far reaches of space.

Phy posted:

I can just see a Taidani engineer describing the effects of Kushan shiphacking in the same tones as our poor guy describing the Beast.

So does this imply that Somtaaw-capped ships are remote controlled and the original crew is still aboard, alternatively twiddling their thumbs and screaming in terror? I guess I'd rather assume that they were spaced as part of the hack, or moved off ship and replaced between missions (while we're watching the Bink video)

Alternatively, perhaps the Somtaaw arrested them, brought them aboard the Kuun-Lan, and showed them why they should remain compliant? Wouldn't take much to convince most of those Taiidan that working for the Somtaaw fleet is better than getting Beast-beamed.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 22, 2015

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

:eyepop: Holy poo poo, I don't know why it never occurred to me to try capping the cruiser in this mission, considering how cap-happy I was in HW1. Actually, I don't think I captured ANYTHING in my entire playthrough of Cataclysm, hence my gleeful surprise at the Somtaaw capture method.

WFGuy posted:

I can imagine the hack including a message from the Somtaaw saying something along the lines of "Hi, we're Higaarans and we're now in control of your ship. All who wish to join our fleet, say 'aye' and raise a hand. All who don't, you know where the escape pods are - good luck in deep space, or back at base when you have to tell your bosses that you lost a Heavy Cruiser to a mining kiith." Just hiring the crew on, it's not like Somtaaw's especially picky about where they get their capable recruits from.
That is how I'd like to think it went down.
:smug: Hey guys, what's up? Here's what's going on...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Markovnikov posted:

Are the Sentinels/Leech useful at all in MP? They seem extremely niche.

I always wondered, since I wasn't aware of HW at the time: beyond the game's story, was HW particularly groundbreaking in the tech side of stuff? And in the development of RTS's in general, since they were the ticket back then. After all I can't think of many RTS'sof the time that can manage so many individual units, in 3D movement, with so many different mechanics, and firing mostly individualized projectiles. I could see a group of Missile Destroyers bringing an old computer to its knees if they all emptied the tubes at the same time.

They are niche but it can be a really useful niche. Leeches have a third option in MP which is essentially 'leech for information.' As in you get full sensor information of the opponent you're leeching. It's quite handy and probably the sneakiest use of leeches. The other methods tend to get them noticed by attentive players.

On the Tech side IIRC correctly: Actual 3D movement and large unit counts were the big things. The projectiles are handled pretty simply so even on old computers at the time it took a big battle for them to really feel it, even with missiles.
Cata built upon the engine to refine a lot of things, the segmented shields one of them.

The Casualty posted:

I always just kinda took it as a hazard of traveling extreme distances in hyperspace. That, if there's a lot of empty space between two galaxies, then the void in between is "here be dragons" territory. Of course, no one actually knew for sure, because the Naggarok was exploring unknown space.

Well Homeworld Space IS full of cosmic horrors and Dragons that defy explanation.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Um, is the part of the beast that left Naggarok aware that most of it is trapped in really deep space and its location? Would it send ships and workers out to repair it? Sure it'd take a long time to get there but time doesn't seem to kill the thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

EponymousMrYar posted:

On the Tech side IIRC correctly: Actual 3D movement and large unit counts were the big things. The projectiles are handled pretty simply so even on old computers at the time it took a big battle for them to really feel it, even with missiles.
Cata built upon the engine to refine a lot of things, the segmented shields one of them.

The thing that strains the engine is drone frigates. Drone frigates even today are complete framerate murderers in MP.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Neurion posted:

:eyepop: Holy poo poo, I don't know why it never occurred to me to try capping the cruiser in this mission, considering how cap-happy I was in HW1. Actually, I don't think I captured ANYTHING in my entire playthrough of Cataclysm, hence my gleeful surprise at the Somtaaw capture method.

Somtaaw ships were generally much more efficient than the single-purpose Higaaran/Taiidani ships because of their inherent multirole nature, and the SU requirements meant you probably spent a lot more time building Somtaaw murderboats instead of capping enemy vessels. The Hive Frigate berryjon starts building in this is basically a frigate-sized mini-carrier which happens to have a destroyer-grade kinetic battery on it.

The other Somtaaw heavy vessels get even more hardcore and are often capable of self-escorting, which means strategies which would get you killed in Homeworld work pretty well as a Somtaaw player.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Poil posted:

Um, is the part of the beast that left Naggarok aware that most of it is trapped in really deep space and its location? Would it send ships and workers out to repair it? Sure it'd take a long time to get there but time doesn't seem to kill the thing.

It has at least all the information that we have on account of having the original pod it can download the data from and having the brainpower to play around with it and get the same conclusions we did.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I loved the Hive Frigates and Sentinels, I think from the point I got them, I started using Acolytes a lot less, because a fully Sentinel'd Kuun-Lan could tank a shitload of things, and I seem to recall the Hive Frigates basically mauling anything Fighter-sized that looked at me funny, and a lot of bigger things, too, with a strike squad of Acolytes to dump missile into any big, single targets that didn't know who they were messing with.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Poil posted:

That is an excellent question and I imagine Somtaaw Command is pondering the exact same thing right about now.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do we have any reason to think the Naggarok is important or necessary for the Beast to recover? I mean of course it will because of the fact that it's Chekhov's Plague Ship, but at this point in the story do the Somtaaw have any reason to think the Beast would care or be in any meaningful way empowered by the recovery of said ship?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Do we have any reason to think the Naggarok is important or necessary for the Beast to recover? I mean of course it will because of the fact that it's Chekhov's Plague Ship, but at this point in the story do the Somtaaw have any reason to think the Beast would care or be in any meaningful way empowered by the recovery of said ship?

The Somtaaw don't currently have a reason to seek out the Naggarok, no. It's just an idle thought from a researcher.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm actually a little surprised you did cap it. That's a lot of SU to commit to one ship with your current supply cap.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Theoretically speaking, it would be the Subject Zero of the Beast, so someone seeking to destroy it might as well study it from its origin point. Furthermore, the experimental Hyperspace drive and the excellent ship design of the Naggarok might be interesting to study.

Inversely, the Beast might well be interested in regaining the ability to travel to other Galaxies.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Gothsheep posted:

I'm actually a little surprised you did cap it. That's a lot of SU to commit to one ship with your current supply cap.

This is only the case since our OP has a metric crap ton of workers and processors. Once the herd is thinned a bit it won't seem so unwieldy.

Also, that Heavy Cruiser is hilariously powerful for this stage in the game. Imagine having a Heavy Cruiser on mission 5-6 in the original Homeworld.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Delta Green posted:

Inversely, the Beast might well be interested in regaining the ability to travel to other Galaxies.

Likely the ship may also have weaponry that outclasses the current HW universe it would want to recover (which probably means the Naggarok will be a mission boss later on.)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

It is a lot of SU but the only other thing to put that SU into at the moment are workers (and at this point its not like he needs to harvest during the mission), Acolytes, or Hive Frigates. While the Heavy Cruiser is outclassed later by build-able ships right now it is easily the most powerful single ship. You'll notice that we haven't fought many large ships yet (that haven't come pre-crippled) but we also just got our first actual combat frigate.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

It is a lot of SU but the only other thing to put that SU into at the moment are workers (and at this point its not like he needs to harvest during the mission), Acolytes, or Hive Frigates. While the Heavy Cruiser is outclassed later by build-able ships right now it is easily the most powerful single ship. You'll notice that we haven't fought many large ships yet (that haven't come pre-crippled) but we also just got our first actual combat frigate.

Which is hilarious considering the next mission is almost tailor designed for you to just have a massive Acolyte/ACV swarm.

Acolytes, Always the Answer.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
On the other hand, both the Naggarok and the beacon had been floating around for a million years. Naggarok might have floated into a star by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

JcDent posted:

On the other hand, both the Naggarok and the beacon had been floating around for a million years. Naggarok might have floated into a star by now.

The beast might have been able to repair the engines of the Naggarok. It probably can't create a propulsion system out of whole cloth on a metal cube.

• Locked thread