Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Random PSA: If you're on Twitter and don't already follow Ron Perlman, you need to remedy that right quick. https://twitter.com/perlmutations He is exactly what you'd expect him to be (hilarious and awesome).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't imagine Marley as Supergirl at all :psyduck:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Rarity posted:

I can't imagine Marley as Supergirl at all :psyduck:

Ryan Murphy couldn't imagine Marley as Marley anymore either.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Shageletic posted:

Catching up with the thread, but I am in fact doing a rewatch (an episode every few days or so).

I'm a fan of Fringe. But Fringe doesn't hold a candle to X-Files (and the crazy amount of talent behind and in front of the camera, really excited by the upcoming Darin Morgan eps).

Just got done doing a similar rewatch on both shows, sort of concurrently since I found myself alternating between the two whenever one started feeling stale, and ended the experience with the opposite impression. Fringe came across a lot stronger than I remembered and a lot of the problems I had with it during production and flaws weren't really as noticeable or at least seemed more reasonable. It was a really strong and consistent experience overall. Meanwhile X-Files was a lot weaker than I remembered and dragged down by some production choices (scoring/cinematography) that ended up working against the show more than for it. The great episodes were still great, but most episodes in every season weren't even good or bad, they just leave no impression. I think the show would definitely have been helped with a larger recurring cast (as a lot of the following procedural shows learned) which may have helped avoided a lot of circular developments. Though the comedy episodes held up amazingly; if I had to make a top ten list I imagine those would make up at least half the thing.

Also this isn't really part of my revised impression of the x-files quality (cause even when talking about the x-files I really only mean the initial 5ish seasons anyway) but for the first time ever I watched the episode "First Person Shooter." Holy poo poo... how have I never seen that atrocity before? Without a doubt that's like the worst episode of this show I've ever seen, maybe a contender for worst episode of... anything. It's almost impressive. The whole time I couldn't stop imagining the behind the scenes production with real people having to say these lines in such a ridiculous episode that's (for some reason) played completely straight.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

Honestly I'm fine with wait and see on a crossover, but if they keep it in the same continuity, no Superman is probably more interesting to me.

Before details of the project were announced, I'd actually assumed it would probably just be the same basic story as Superman, but with Supergirl instead of Clark Kent. You know, so Supergirl is the one shot into space when Krypton explodes, crashes in Kansas, and is found and raised by the Kents.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That actually is her origin. Just with a big gap between the crash and found.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Also this isn't really part of my revised impression of the x-files quality (cause even when talking about the x-files I really only mean the initial 5ish seasons anyway) but for the first time ever I watched the episode "First Person Shooter." Holy poo poo... how have I never seen that atrocity before? Without a doubt that's like the worst episode of this show I've ever seen, maybe a contender for worst episode of... anything. It's almost impressive. The whole time I couldn't stop imagining the behind the scenes production with real people having to say these lines in such a ridiculous episode that's (for some reason) played completely straight.

Look at who wrote it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

That actually is her origin. Just with a big gap between the crash and found.

Yeah, but what I mean is that the TV series could've had it that she landed on Earth and was found as a baby, and then raised by the Kents into adulthood.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Depends how much you want to read into the casting call descriptions, which could be as close or as far as how they actually want to play the characters.

quote:

For Kara Zor-El aka Kara Danvers, the show is eyeing Caucasian females, age 22 to 26, to play 24. As the series’ mythology goes, Kara at age 12 was sent from her dying home planet of Krypton to Earth, where she was taken in by the Danvers, a foster family who taught her to be careful with her extraordinary powers. After repressing said skills for more than a decade, Kara is forced to bust out her super moves in public during an unexpected disaster. Energized by her heroism for the first time in her life, she begins embracing her abilities in the name of helping the people of her city, earning herself a super moniker along the way.

The other lead role currently being cast is that of 26-year-old Alexandra “Alex” Danvers, Kara’s gorgeous, brilliant, science-minded foster sister. Growing up, Alex was partly jealous of her sibling yet also fascinated by her abilities, prompting Alex to learn as much as she could about alien anthropology, sociology and culture. Today, Alex works for a secret government organization and, alongside her heroic sis, will face many challenges, both mundane and super.

CAT GRANT | The project is eyeing females in their 40s, open ethnicity, to play the founder of CatCo, a media conglomerate that Cat built from the ground up. Kara (Supergirl’s mild-mannered alter ego) will work as a personal assistant to Cat, who is described as “J.Lo by way of Anna Wintour.”

JAMES OLSEN | In his late 20s/early 30s, open ethnicity, James is a smart, worldly and (duh) attractive photographer for CatCo. Though an alpha male, his salt-of-the-earth nature elicits a huge ol’ crush from Kara.

WINSLOW ‘WYNN’ SCHOTT | This twentysomething tech whiz/Comic-Con stalwart toils for CatCo as a programmer, unaware of his own (toying?) potential. Unware of her secret, he carries a torch for Kara, whom he lives next door to.

HANK HENSHAW | As an upstart CIA agent, Hank grew obsessed with intergalactic intel. Now in his 40s and lording over the DEO (Department of Extra-Normal Operations), he is on high alert when Supergirl reveals herself, worried that her otherworldly abilities pose a threat to humankind.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sober posted:

Depends how much you want to read into the casting call descriptions, which could be as close or as far as how they actually want to play the characters.

Hope they get Lucy Lawless for Cat Grant, and keep on casting Spartacus alumni.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Random PSA: If you're on Twitter and don't already follow Ron Perlman, you need to remedy that right quick. https://twitter.com/perlmutations He is exactly what you'd expect him to be (hilarious and awesome).
I just realized how awesome he would be as Batou in the Ghost in the Shell movie - now that they're whitewashing the whole thing anyway.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

It's funny cos it follows X-Cops, one of the best episodes, and that pairing is probably all anyone remembers from that season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No this is not an Onion TV show

quote:

WE tv introduces a groundbreaking new series, “Sex Box,” to its Friday night line-up beginning Friday, February 27 at 10pm ET/PT. The series takes therapy to a whole new level with couples not only discussing their relationship issues with a panel of experts, but also spending time in a camera-free, soundproof box on the show’s set to have sex…all in front of a live studio audience

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah, cause that naked dating show on MTV or whatever worked out so well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PLACE THEM IN THE SEX BOX

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I'll wait for the Sex Box 360

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's my sex box! And her name is Sony.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

less laughter posted:

I'll wait for the Sex Box 360
Not the SexBox One?

colloquially referred to as the SexBOne?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This an old show from the UK. We're ahead of the curve

Behind it too :pervert:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bown posted:

It's my sex box! And her name is Sony.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

PLACE THEM IN THE SEX BOX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGSVYgcy24Q

Replace lyrics with Sex Box

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are people talking about Amazon's pilot season anywhere? I enjoyed Man in the High Castle, and think it has a lot of potential.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sir Kodiak posted:

It makes a little sense from the perspective that it's a fantastic idea for a TV show that would be incredibly hard to pull off, with the pilot suggesting that they might actually be able to do it. Hopefully it's not like The Walking Dead where the pilot shows more promise than the show is ever able to get near again. But, yeah, surprising.

The funny thing about people talking about how nobody will watch black shows or black movies is that hip hop is EXTREMELY popular literally everywhere. Fox was just the first network to figure that out. Instead of inserting a bunch of black people in a white person show (Black'ish), they made a show where black people can, and do, black people things. And *gasp* what a shock, its wildly successful.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

Are people talking about Amazon's pilot season anywhere? I enjoyed Man in the High Castle, and think it has a lot of potential.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694810

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe please expound on what black people things are, at length.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Gotta throw some casual racism out to keep the gimmick fresh in between creepy posts about female celebrities' looks to keep people on their toes I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Irish Joe please expound on what black people things are, at length.

No. Do not do this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

The good ol' days of the '90s, where "you die in the game YOU DIE FOR REAL" was still a relatively fresh concept.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

The good ol' days of the '90s, where "you die in the game YOU DIE FOR REAL" was still a relatively fresh concept.

That tragically never went away. Oh what horrors the Oculus Rift and the various metoos will bring to lovely procedurals.

Deadpool posted:

No. Do not do this.

Can this be a rule for all irish joe posts?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Ravane posted:

I don't blame him, I gave Agents of Shield four episodes and I did not enjoy it. Later I was told to give it 17 episodes to get better. I'm not doing this because my time is valuable.

Says fourth-most prolific Couch Chat poster Ravane.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

The real beauty of that episode is who wrote it: William Gibson, the man who defined cyberpunk as a genre.

He also wrote the disastrously awful episode "Kill Switch" which had an okay, if tired, premise but inserted the Mariest Sue to ever Mary Sue her way onto television screens.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Fringe and X-Files make an interesting pair: Fringe started out pretty mediocre but got a lot better when the threat of cancellation made them get their rear in gear, while X-Files hit the ground running but just kept going and going and got shitter as they burned through plots and the actors and writers started drifting off.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The central difference being that Fringe seems like it was always going to be about the overall story and they just miscalculated their initial timing. They always had a goal for where they were going and how to get there. The X-Files was a surprise hit which by the nature of it's subject matter accidentally forced itself into having an overarching mythos. Which they never took the time to lock down. That is why X-Files is such a contradictory, muddled mess in that regard.

The X-Files was a great programme with a lot of genuine classic episodes, but for my money Fringe is the much much better series.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, is Backstrom complete garbage or just a mediocre Fox comedy-drama?

It really doubles down on terrible racism and stupid plots, but watching Raine Wilson being an slovenly drunk rear end in a top hat to people is kind of fun.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 23, 2015

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Best horrible use of VIDEOGAMES?!?! on TV is still the Prince of Persia episode of Life.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Zaggitz posted:

Best horrible use of VIDEOGAMES?!?! on TV is still the Prince of Persia episode of Life.

Oh my god. I saw that video sometime last year, and holy hell was that ever a thing. Like a surrealist piece of art.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah but did it involve creating a GUI interface in visual basic to track an IP address.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm actually enjoying Backstrom :psyduck:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

So, is Backstrom complete garbage or just a mediocre Fox comedy-drama?

I had a passing interest in Backstrom when the commercials first started running, but once I learned it was created by Hart Hanson, all my interest just up and died. Bones always straddled the line between watchable and terrible, and I just don't have the time for shows that aren't at least good or better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm scared, i agree with Irish Joe.

I also caught a mid season episode of Jane the Virgin at a friends house and i thought it was actually pretty good. So gently caress you Ravane, i'm still not watching it.

• Locked thread