Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

FillInTheBlank posted:

I also recommend PerfectViewer it's does everything you need and can connect to LAN and FTP and read from .rars and .7z etc.

I happily read manga with ease on my 5in screen.

Cool. My new 6'' phone will be here Thursday or Friday, and it'd be great to have a mobile reading platform for the hundreds of meticulously organized series I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

FillInTheBlank posted:

I happily read manga with ease on my 5in screen.

Trap sprung, etc. Also,

FAUXTON posted:

When on the screen with the player controls (I.e. the artwork is big) put your finger on the artwork and swipe to the left (move your finger left, that is) and you should see what amounts to a playlist from which you can swipe to remove stuff. This won't delete anything but just prevent it from advancing automatically.

I think I might have solved my own problem. When you swipe left and see the auto-play playlist, tap the three dots, top right, and get this menu.

I think (don't shoot me if I'm wrong) that the bottom option, Stop and mark as played, removes everything from the auto-play play list. But they still are classed as un-played on the main, filtered lists. At least, I just did that, and I've still got 17 podcasts lined up in Unfiltered, but my phone is no longer auto-playing. Hope that makes sense!

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Len posted:

I work at a daycare and I want to put all the contact information for the parents in my phone. But I don't want their numbers clogging up my contact list. Is there a good app that would let me put all those numbers in a separate contact folder so they only show up when I need them to?

Just make a list in ever note or keep. You can still dial or email from the program by just clicking on the number

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

It integrates normally. As in it works like this:

Thanks. Next Nine question: it advertises itself as integrating with the GAL, only I don't see anything. There's no GAL search capability when sending email, I just get a list of existing contacts (which is nice but hardly GAL.) I'm using Office 365 if that makes a difference.

Maybe it's a paid feature only?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Is there any way to have a Google Keep list come up on your lock screen and be vieweable in some kind of widget? It's my only annoyance with using Keep is that I can't view a shopping list easily and tick things off as I go around a store. Running Lollipop if it helps (or hurts).

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

monster on a stick posted:

Thanks. Next Nine question: it advertises itself as integrating with the GAL, only I don't see anything. There's no GAL search capability when sending email, I just get a list of existing contacts (which is nice but hardly GAL.) I'm using Office 365 if that makes a difference.

Maybe it's a paid feature only?

It may be. It searches the GAL for me when I compose a new message (it's a little slow sometimes). With the app installed, I'm also able to search the GAL from my regular Contacts app. That said, I'm also using my company's Exchange server. I'm not sure if it's any different with Office 365 or not.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Has anyone run into really bad lag issues with Google Maps? On my M7 when I load it up, it takes forever and trying to type a name in takes minutes because of lag. I deleted cache and data but that didn't seem to help.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mod sassinator posted:

Is there any way to have a Google Keep list come up on your lock screen and be vieweable in some kind of widget? It's my only annoyance with using Keep is that I can't view a shopping list easily and tick things off as I go around a store. Running Lollipop if it helps (or hurts).

Lollipop doesn't do lock screen widgets because it puts notifications there now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

brc64 posted:

It may be. It searches the GAL for me when I compose a new message (it's a little slow sometimes). With the app installed, I'm also able to search the GAL from my regular Contacts app. That said, I'm also using my company's Exchange server. I'm not sure if it's any different with Office 365 or not.

My company has Office 365 and I can search the GAL just fine.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

mod sassinator posted:

Do this:

Make sure you have Screen Pinning enabled (I think it's in Settings under Security)
Open Keep and open your shopping list
Hit the Recent Apps button
Pin Keep

Now even if your phone goes to sleep, waking it will bring you right back to your grocery list, no need to unlock. I do this all the time with my 2014 Moto X when I'm doing my grocery runs.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Require More Fire posted:

Do this:

Make sure you have Screen Pinning enabled (I think it's in Settings under Security)
Pin Keep

Now even if your phone goes to sleep, waking it will bring you right back to your grocery list, no need to unlock. I do this all the time with my 2014 Moto X when I'm doing my grocery runs.

Oh man thank you, that's just what I wanted! Wow I had no idea this screen pinning thing was even there. Nifty feature--sad that it's super buried in inexplicable settings.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

Oh man thank you, that's just what I wanted! Wow I had no idea this screen pinning thing was even there. Nifty feature--sad that it's super buried in inexplicable settings.
It's designed for handing your phone to a friend without giving them access to all your poo poo, but that's a pretty neat use of it too.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

calandryll posted:

Has anyone run into really bad lag issues with Google Maps? On my M7 when I load it up, it takes forever and trying to type a name in takes minutes because of lag. I deleted cache and data but that didn't seem to help.

Yeah, I've been having weird lag issues when I pan and zoom on my Note 4. I have pan and lag issues when i use it in my browser too. And when I used to have an S3, and on my N7 2012 tablet...

I always thought it was a feature.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Require More Fire posted:

Do this:

Pin Keep

I run into the exact same situation but hadn't actually needed to use pinning yet so it didn't even enter my mind. :aaaaa:

Thanks man.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Looks like Google Play Books updated to fix that missing pages bug that was being discussed recently.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Search shows me this app was mentioned months ago, but I just came across it so...

I switched from Arcus for a weather app to Weather Timeline. Its got a sweet Material Design UI and uses Forecast.io as it's backend.

The widget is nice looking too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

Search shows me this app was mentioned months ago, but I just came across it so...

I switched from Arcus for a weather app to Weather Timeline. Its got a sweet Material Design UI and uses Forecast.io as it's backend.

Either I'm blind or they don't have a screenshot of the widget. Can you post an image of what it looks like?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Bought that, what a nice UI.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I just bought it too

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Either I'm blind or they don't have a screenshot of the widget. Can you post an image of what it looks like?

Yeah, I'd like to see it as well. The rest of the app looks pretty nice, but I have so many drat weather apps right now that I would really like to see how the widget looks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I'd like to see it as well. The rest of the app looks pretty nice, but I have so many drat weather apps right now that I would really like to see how the widget looks.
I'll be the oddball and say that while I love the Forecast.io data, the weird-rear end flowchart thing just does not do it for me.

I feel bad for the Arcus dev, he really got hosed launching with a free version with how Forecast.io charges for their data and now there's really no digging himself out of the hole he's dug. He admits he doesn't have time to really maintain the app and given that it's a money-sink I doubt he's going to find the motivation to make time.

Given how readily Material Design lends itself to weather apps in general I'm sure a good Forecast.io with great design will come but for me this just seems lazy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There are a lot of widgets, so I took screens of the picker. You can make it use colors set by the conditions or choose custom text/background colors. You can use rounded or sharp corners, and have it hide/show the refresh and settings buttons on the widget. You can also make the widget transparent.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So, my Nexus 4 might be completely inoperable. Is there any way to wipe the memory without turning the phone on? If not, what should I look for in the phone so I can physically destroy the memory while leaving the rest of the phone more-or-less intact to sell for parts?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

So, my Nexus 4 might be completely inoperable. Is there any way to wipe the memory without turning the phone on? If not, what should I look for in the phone so I can physically destroy the memory while leaving the rest of the phone more-or-less intact to sell for parts?
You mean it now won't even power on? What did you do to it in the last couple hours?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

You mean it now won't even power on? What did you do to it in the last couple hours?

I left it alone for several hours, then put it on the charger for an hour or two. I currently have the battery disconnected. In a little while I'll reconnect it, reassemble the phone, and see if it wants to turn on.

When this happened previously, it took 3-4 hours before it became responsive.

Also, I apparently put this in the wrong thread; I'll re-post in the device thread since that's much more appropriate for my parts question.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah this is really nice and a good thing to spend my survey money on.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

I left it alone for several hours, then put it on the charger for an hour or two. I currently have the battery disconnected. In a little while I'll reconnect it, reassemble the phone, and see if it wants to turn on.

When this happened previously, it took 3-4 hours before it became responsive.

Also, I apparently put this in the wrong thread; I'll re-post in the device thread since that's much more appropriate for my parts question.

No, what did you do to it before leaving it alone and trying to revive it on a charger?

Leaving a phone alone won't kill it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FAUXTON posted:

No, what did you do to it before leaving it alone and trying to revive it on a charger?

Leaving a phone alone won't kill it.

Oh. I was using the Awful app. Same as the previous time my phone died. Working theory is that it was a thermal panic.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Oh. I was using the Awful app. Same as the previous time my phone died. Working theory is that it was a thermal panic.

Ahh, that may do it. Have you tried Something? It seems a little less burdensome but isn't as feature-rich outside the ability to apply tags around text by selection rather than having to cut/paste it between.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FAUXTON posted:

Ahh, that may do it. Have you tried Something? It seems a little less burdensome but isn't as feature-rich outside the ability to apply tags around text by selection rather than having to cut/paste it between.

I haven't tried Something since shortly after it came out. I should do so again.

Edit: I just grabbed it, and the Play Store version hasn't been updated in 7 months. Is there a more recent version in the thread?

hooah fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 25, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I haven't tried Something since shortly after it came out. I should do so again.

Edit: I just grabbed it, and the Play Store version hasn't been updated in 7 months. Is there a more recent version in the thread?
No that's the most recent version.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

No that's the most recent version.

There's not much wrong with it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

grilldos posted:

There's not much wrong with it.
My only complaint is the lack of an emote picker. As far as how well it does what it does, it just works without needing to fiddle with anything.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I am having a strange issue with my 1st gen Moto X. When in driving mode and I get text or phone call it starts making a whole bunch of overlapping beeps and won't stop until I hit one of the hard keys.
Any ideas what's causing this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

I am having a strange issue with my 1st gen Moto X. When in driving mode and I get text or phone call it starts making a whole bunch of overlapping beeps and won't stop until I hit one of the hard keys.
Any ideas what's causing this?
Wasn't that the Google Search update that caused that? I think someone mentioned it up the thread somewhere.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Looks like you are right, its also in today's patch notes for moto assist.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm pretty new with Tasker so I'll just ask about my scenario and maybe you all can say if it's doable.

I have an Aux bluetooth adapter for my car since it doesn't have native bluetooth (plugs in the aux and a bluetooth receiver gets sound from my phone etc.) - I have to unplug it though because my car power adapters don't automatically shut off when the power goes off and i don't want to drain the battery. Anyway, the scenario now is I have to plug the thing in, then go into my music app on my phone and start some music.

Is there a way that when the phone detects a certain "paired bluetooth connection" which would be this receiver it could automatically fire up my music player and start playing?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

vyst posted:

I'm pretty new with Tasker so I'll just ask about my scenario and maybe you all can say if it's doable.

I have an Aux bluetooth adapter for my car since it doesn't have native bluetooth (plugs in the aux and a bluetooth receiver gets sound from my phone etc.) - I have to unplug it though because my car power adapters don't automatically shut off when the power goes off and i don't want to drain the battery. Anyway, the scenario now is I have to plug the thing in, then go into my music app on my phone and start some music.

Is there a way that when the phone detects a certain "paired bluetooth connection" which would be this receiver it could automatically fire up my music player and start playing?

Yep, go to the Tasker wiki and I think that very scenario is there. I am on my phone so I don't have the page handy, just Google it. There's also a tasker thread somewhere.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

http://tasker.wikidot.com/headsetlaunch Pretty much just follow that, but use the bluetooth connected state instead of the headset plugged in state and it should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
tasker owns
i made it so it takes a photo when i swipe the camera app icon

• Locked thread