Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I don't understand what they mean by "it disappears" after 30 min. Does it reliquify? Do angels come down and take it back up to heaven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I imagine that if you're only using enough agar for it to barely set, it just turns back into a gross puddle after a while. That or someone will steal it if you leave it for half an hour.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

RedTonic posted:

You could! I do not know if an oil or alcohol base would mess it up. I advise sticking with basics if you don't want to risk a ruined first batch: infused simple syrup! However, agar powder is cheap as poo poo (and usually you can find it at your local southeast Asian market, since it's pretty popular for desserts) so if you feel bold, start drippin' them oils and liquors. A rum drop agar jelly would be so neat. :3: I keep meaning to do a rose water agar...

I might have to try this. I have some lemongrass sitting around doing nothing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I grew up eating a filipino agar dessert that was almond or pandan flavored, cubed and served with various fruits like lychees, macapuno, palm seeds, jackfruit in a syrup.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I really like pandan and I'd put loving pandan in everything if I could, regardless of appropriateness. To hell with lychees though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RedTonic posted:

To hell with lychees though.

this is weird. you're weird.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

RedTonic posted:

I really like pandan and I'd put loving pandan in everything if I could, regardless of appropriateness.

Trying to keep the cockroaches away?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Trying to keep the cockroaches away?

Cats are delicious. :colbert:

GrAviTy84 posted:

this is weird. you're weird.

I know. I also don't like watermelon or pears. Something's terribly wrong with me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Weird thing happened with this 12 quart pot I just bought. I used it to simmer a pot of water for 45 minutes, and then when I washed it I realized I left the price sticker on the bottom... but it wasn't burned at all. The bottom never got above 300°F, was the pot wicking heat away from the bottom so efficiently that the sticker never got hot enough to burn or was something else going on? It's weird.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Weird thing happened with this 12 quart pot I just bought. I used it to simmer a pot of water for 45 minutes, and then when I washed it I realized I left the price sticker on the bottom... but it wasn't burned at all. The bottom never got above 300°F, was the pot wicking heat away from the bottom so efficiently that the sticker never got hot enough to burn or was something else going on? It's weird.

Congrats, you're now a physical chemist.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Steve Yun posted:

Have you not tried the experiment where you put your fingers on the bottom of a boiling pot of water? You know - the one where you take a pot which is at a boil, remove it from the stove, and while it is boiling, just press your fingertips against the bottom?

I advice against keeping them there after the pot stops boiling.

But you won't burn your fingers.

Not entirely sure if this is caused by the leidenfrost effect.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well the leidenfrost effect is when a droplet of liquid is suspended above a hot surface by an insulating cushion of air, so the droplet doesn't violently boil and has a long life. So like when you put a drop of water in a hot pan it tends to float around instead of boil instantly. The boiling pot is just evaporative cooling, where the water absorbs a lot of energy, but does not increase in temperature above 100 C. Basically like sweating.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Sure, but the bottom of the pot will not be 100 degrees?

As a macro-economics guy I have no idea - it is kinda like magnets which also works by magic

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

As a macro-economics guy I have no idea - it is kinda like magnets which also works by magic

Juggalo spotted.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i got an anova for christmas and i bought a searzall which gets here in *checks time* 8 hours :greencube:

i'm catering my friends superbowl party of ~30 people for $10-15/head (depending on how elaborate he wants to get) + tips. plan is:

apps
patatas bravas, chips, and pretzels w/a variety of sauces (incl. a few sodium citrate cheese sauces). oh and probably some basic pintxos with stuff like pitufos mixtos/catalá and tortilla española. and jalapeño poppers wrapped in bacon finished on the grill

main dishes
sous vide sliders with cheese of choice finished with the searzall
pulled pork sandwiches with sliced pickles, pickled cherry peppers, bbq sauce (hot or mild bbq, hot or mild mustard, and hot or mild vinegar as sauce options all in squeeze bottles) and cheese toppings + caramelized onions.

sides
will be a couple variations on modernist mac & cheese: emmental & parm in one, cougar gold and coug viking havarti in another, and the last with cougar ghost pepper aged cheddar and coug viking crimson fire (basically a top notch pepper jack made with the viking havarti), plus some limited toppings for the mac like bacon and spices. also my special cole slaw with jalapeño & choke cherry infused pedro ximenez moscatel vinegar (the remains of my last bottle of that vinegar brought back from málaga my last time there in '13 :smith: )

desserts
pb&j cupcakes, those NYT "best chocolate chip cookies ever," a few pies, and some other stuff i'm forgetting. maybe momofuku milk bar crack pie? and a bunch of whippits since i have a case of 600 NO2 chargers and no immediate use for them :madmax:

oh i'm using a long-fermented ultra-airy pain ancienne poolish (which i've had sitting so long that it may as well be sourdough) that i'm stretching out and making into a killer focaccia by dimpling it and spreading with arbequina/manzanilla blend andalú olive oil, salt, and a mix of toppings incl. halved cherry tomatoes, olives, boquerones, and calabrese (by quadrant).

it's gonna fuckin rule. they have a gigantic loft that doubles as their office space about 2 blocks south of pioneer square next to the viaduct and just got a 4K projector with a 210" (which is half of 420 :2bong:) screen to put the game on

oh yeah and I made a batch of pot brownies with 1/4# of (legal :smug:) medical grade dank as gently caress weed to accompany it all, made into coconut oil to cook with and turned into brownies of 50g total weight portions (with .5g raw herb each) sitting in the freezer just waiting for gameday now. quality control test verified that they are weapons-grade strength. i figured full brownie would be good, but even eating half of one laid me out for 10+ hours so it's gonna be an amazing poo poo show. it's probably because even though when I weighed it at 116/g and cut them into exactly 50g total weight per brownie portioning (for each individual brownie accounting for 0.5g of raw herb, which is generally perfect), the herb was bone dry as i measured it (which is why it was on deep discount). dry is fine for cooking though, so it might have been the equivalent of 240g or more of fresh herb. considering it was fire to start with, these things are literally dangerously strong lmao. even with a massive tolerance, a half brownie (25g total weight/0.25g herb) knocked out everyone who sampled. which is good for my yield because I have (conservatively) 2 to 3 times more than I expected because of wildly underestimated potency!

stoked as gently caress

go hawks :hawksin:

e: oh yeah and a shitload of jello shots in seahawks colors
e:2: a bazillon typos and no ¶

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 23, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:lol: that sounds like a great time, wheeze

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

You've never done the experiment where you boil water over a fire in a paper cup?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

:lol: that sounds like a great time, wheeze

chiche called me a drug addled hosed up dr. frankenstein food autist or something similar once and, Hell, He's Right.

ball so hard motherfuckers wanna fine me for not having a proper license to cater paid events

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 23, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:drat: That sounds fantastic! I would eat all the things. (Especially some brownies, drat.)

Last night I hit up the Grange in PVD for the first time in a while. They were doing their spin on cassoulet, which I went with because my fun diet bars beans and this was my free meal goddammit. Anyway, it was bliss. Crispy brussels sprouts, amazingly sweet and tender roasted carrot, perfectly poached eggs that didn't look like halloween webbing. Kinda did end up liking the small plate we started with more--some sort of roasted cauliflower tossed with peanuts and a chile oil based sauce with cilantro crema. Coulda eaten a football field of that. The Grange is only the second vegetarian place whose offerings I've really enjoyed, and sadly the former closed a long time ago (and was in a podunk VA town far away).

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Good call on the cougar gold, love that cheese.

I figured out how to use my sous vide setup to make a weed/milk concentrate so powerful it made my friend have breakdown where he called his girlfriend weeping about how he loved her and hoped he could be a good father one day. You could probably do the same with butter.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Jay Carney posted:

I figured out how to use my sous vide setup to make a weed/milk concentrate so powerful it made my friend have breakdown where he called his girlfriend weeping about how he loved her and hoped he could be a good father one day. You could probably do the same with butter.

Well you're gonna share, right?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
wheez, that sounds excellent. One thing is that I would make sure to have an additional way to sear the burgers on hand. You can't searzall a lot of things at once and you won't want to get really backed up on the sliders. You could start searing them on a griddle while searzalling from the top, then when flip touch up sear with the searzall.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

mich posted:

wheez, that sounds excellent. One thing is that I would make sure to have an additional way to sear the burgers on hand. You can't searzall a lot of things at once and you won't want to get really backed up on the sliders. You could start searing them on a griddle while searzalling from the top, then when flip touch up sear with the searzall.

or broiler if doing a bunch at once

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

a drug addled hosed up dr. frankenstein food autist

:agreed:

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

esperantinc posted:

Well you're gonna share, right?

I take 1/8 to 4.5 grams and Decarb at 225 for 45 minutes in a small foil pouch. I then take the decarbed bud and put it in a herb bag with 2 tablespoons of soy lecithin. Tighten bag as much as you can.

Take a pint mason jar, put the bag of stuff in the bottom, then pour a pint of half and half into the jar. Fill up to the neck, then use food saver attachment to vac seal the mason jar.

Heat sous vide bath to 168 F and stick the jar in there for 36 hours.

Remove jar, let cool until still slightly hot. Remove bag and squeeze contents into jar. Put some chocolate syrup in and give people AT MOST a third of the jar. Drinking a third of a jar gave my buddies who smoke a poo poo ton visuals and breakdowns. Anything more would probably just make you pass out for a day.

Yes I know this isn't TCC but this is halal and all of you can lick my taint.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jay Carney posted:

I take 1/8 to 4.5 grams and Decarb at 225 for 45 minutes in a small foil pouch. I then take the decarbed bud and put it in a herb bag with 2 tablespoons of soy lecithin. Tighten bag as much as you can.

Take a pint mason jar, put the bag of stuff in the bottom, then pour a pint of half and half into the jar. Fill up to the neck, then use food saver attachment to vac seal the mason jar.

Heat sous vide bath to 168 F and stick the jar in there for 36 hours.

Remove jar, let cool until still slightly hot. Remove bag and squeeze contents into jar. Put some chocolate syrup in and give people AT MOST a third of the jar. Drinking a third of a jar gave my buddies who smoke a poo poo ton visuals and breakdowns. Anything more would probably just make you pass out for a day.

Yes I know this isn't TCC but this is halal and all of you can lick my taint.
Have you tried decarbing using the puddle machine?

NVM likely can't get hot enough.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Personally I cook it into coconut oil. 300ºF for 45-60min is probably excessive but I like knowing I got everything possible. I just sit with a candy thermometer in it and stir it a bunch keeping an eye on the temp while watching a tv, strain through wire mesh, and cool. It's worked out flawlessly for me every time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Congrats, you're now a physical chemist.
:psyduck:

Happy Hat posted:

Have you not tried the experiment where you put your fingers on the bottom of a boiling pot of water? You know - the one where you take a pot which is at a boil, remove it from the stove, and while it is boiling, just press your fingertips against the bottom?
:psypop:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You've never done the experiment where you boil water over a fire in a paper cup?
:psyboom:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I showed my fiance the jook or die thread and a couple of episodes of Cooking With Dog. Came home yesterday to this surprise waiting for me:

with the note "There's noodles and veggies in the refrigerator, 25lbs of rice in the pantry, and the clerk at the Hong Kong Market picked the rest. I don't know if I got the right stuff, but I say we cook too much congee and pho and die happy anyway?"

His selection of goods hilarious, I don't think he has any idea what he bought. That's okay though, we're gonna have a good time figuring out how to use three types of banana ketchup and ten pounds of ginger. :3:

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 24, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
fizzymercy, that's amazing. Please post pictures of your jook. Also, tell us what you do with that much banana ketchup.

If it's young ginger, pickle it. Homemade sushi gari is loving great.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

mich posted:

blah blah if they're seared they're not sliders blah blah

but seriously that sounds amazing.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Stuff you can do with excess of ginger:

As mentioned, pickle it. Younger ginger is better for this but slice thinly and it's fine either way.

Ginger syrup. Roughly chop your ginger (peel it optionally first), then blitz it in a blender or food processor. Squeeze in a cheesecloth to extract the ginger juice. Mix in a 1:1 ratio with sugar. Now you can add some fizzy water to make ginger soda, or use to make cocktails by also adding lime and rum (dark n stormy), vodka (moscow mule), gin (gin-gin mule), and more.

Candied ginger. http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/12/candied-ginger/

Test Pattern posted:

blah blah if they're seared they're not sliders blah blah

but seriously that sounds amazing.

These days "slider" doesn't just mean the steamed style of White Castle burger, it's become an all purpose term for just "small burgers" too, which from what wheez was posting was the usage he meant.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I had to drop my husband off on the other side of town this morning, so I went to the giant asian market up there. I'm going to have to start going there more often because the produce is loving amazing and pristine. Anyway, I found angry lady and bought a small jar to start. Grabbed some galangal for a recipe my sister wanted to try, and a couple coconut buns that totally had dairy in them and now I;m in pain but they were so good.

I wanted to explore and buy more poo poo to try, but I was a bit intimidated.

I'll grab some broth today and try making jook again tomorrow, with angry lady and roast chicken leftovers.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

searzall protip: don't skimp on the torch, pay the extra $20 for the TS8000 over the 4000. the 4000 works but it's disappointing and not at all what you're expecting to get out of it. doing a test run on a steak it took so long to develop a crust that it went from rare past medium and almost to medium well, even holding it like a half inch from the meat. the ts8000 meanwhile is everything i hoped for

also if your hardware store sells the propane canisters in pairs for a discount (ace has them cheap) go ahead and get 2 (or more). you'll go through them quicker than you think since you quickly start finding ways to use it on everything. I've had it like 48 hours and I've been making burgers, croque monsieur, grilled cheese, setting whites quicker for sunny side up eggs, etc. having an instant-on 1200º airbrush broiler owns

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 24, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

wheez the roux posted:

searzall protip: don't skimp on the torch, pay the extra $20 for the TS8000 over the 4000. the 4000 works but it's disappointing and not at all what you're expecting to get out of it. doing a test run on a steak it took so long to develop a crust that it went from rare past medium and almost to medium well, even holding it like a half inch from the meat. the ts8000 meanwhile is everything i hoped for

also if your hardware store sells the propane canisters in pairs for a discount (ace has them cheap) go ahead and get 2 (or more). you'll go through them quicker than you think since you quickly start finding ways to use it on everything. I've had it like 48 hours and I've been making burgers, croque monsieur, grilled cheese, setting whites quicker for sunny side up eggs, etc. having an instant-on 1200º airbrush broiler owns

Sunny side up eggs without flipping them and risking yolk breakage, while still getting the whites properly cooked? Genius!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I always eat my eggs sunny side up but I never flip them, yet have perfectly set whites and a perfectly runny yolk. I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years by not screwing it up?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I always eat my eggs sunny side up but I never flip them, yet have perfectly set whites and a perfectly runny yolk. I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years by not screwing it up?

I love sunny-side eggs cooked slightly too hot so they get brown and crispy around the edges. I feel like I've also been screwing it up by making them perfectly in a too-hot pan. I also get nervous about ordering them that way when I go out. I've not worked up the guts yet to describe how I want them, and I just say "sunny, sausage, rye."

I'm also, given how many people I meet think that their unflipped eggs cooked with a lid = "sunny side up," :tinfoil: paranoid that I'll one day get served a basted egg when I order sunny, and then have to decide how the gently caress to handle that. I don't really give a poo poo, because I'll eat whatever, but should I end up having to tell a cook how to do his job?

I hope that never happens.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
So what's your technique for set white and runny yolk? I've got boiled down to a T but fried escapes me.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

my pan-egg of choice has always been cooking it spanish style: in a fuckton of olive oil in a skillet heated to just below smoking . the egg immediately starts puffing and hissing and inflating as the oil crackles angrily but spoon some hot oil over top and as soon as the last of the whites are set, pull it. eat on good crusty bread to soak up that olive oil and yolk. or on anything really, they're amazing and you can't go wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

CommonShore posted:

I love sunny-side eggs cooked slightly too hot so they get brown and crispy around the edges. I feel like I've also been screwing it up by making them perfectly in a too-hot pan. I also get nervous about ordering them that way when I go out. I've not worked up the guts yet to describe how I want them, and I just say "sunny, sausage, rye."

I'm also, given how many people I meet think that their unflipped eggs cooked with a lid = "sunny side up," :tinfoil: paranoid that I'll one day get served a basted egg when I order sunny, and then have to decide how the gently caress to handle that. I don't really give a poo poo, because I'll eat whatever, but should I end up having to tell a cook how to do his job?

I hope that never happens.

Do not feel ashamed. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2014/10/the-crispy-egg/

Sunny side up means no flip, runny yolk. Over easy means you flip the SSU egg for well done whites and less runny yolk. Then over medium and over hard just cooks over easy longer, right?