Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I loved that it turned out the pot growing doctor preferred to continue working with the drug cartel that murders its enemies by burning them alive in tires instead of going with the agri-business. Presumably the cartel is more honest and ethical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

johntfs posted:

I loved that it turned out the pot growing doctor preferred to continue working with the drug cartel that murders its enemies by burning them alive in tires instead of going with the agri-business. Presumably the cartel is more honest and ethical.

We don't actually know. Him making up his mind at all was the woman's excuse to cover the crime of passion.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the twist is really that it didn't have poo poo to do with any of that stuff.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
True, but it's still funny to consider the idea that working for a vicious drug cartel is better than working for a major agri-business firm, bee-murdering bastards that they are.

Meanwhile, suggested thread title change: "Inner Me is now soiling himself."

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope she doesn't die :ohdear:

Actually I hope she goes S1 Sherlock on the guy and captures / tortures him.

The Kitty Winters from "The Adventure of the Illustrious Client" short story threw acid in the face of the guy who wronged her. Maybe this Kitty will follow suit.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

johntfs posted:

True, but it's still funny to consider the idea that working for a vicious drug cartel is better than working for a major agri-business firm, bee-murdering bastards that they are.

Meanwhile, suggested thread title change: "Inner Me is now soiling himself."

It might also have to do with the agri-business haggling with a drug cartel and he probably didn't want to get his rear end murdered because of them being a bunch of greedy bastards. Something tells me a drug cartel wouldn't be down with getting disrespected like that.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I really wish there were more episodes like the elevator electromagnet episode.

If we must have a murder each week I'd like more of the cases that solve how the murder happened rather than just who did it. We knew why the elevator victim was killed from the outset but they were killed in an interesting mysterious way.

It seems like every week we just plod through a list of suspects until something comes out of nowhere near the end of the episode to wrap things up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

No I mean even before he's shown the marks on the dead girl's back he should instantly know why Gregson wouldn't want Kitty there the second he's told to come alone.

Why? Although it was fairly obvious that the case had some tie to Kitty, it wasn't a given that it was anything to do with her rape. I initially thought that the body might have been the girl Kitty had been asked to find.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Jedit posted:

I initially thought that the body might have been the girl Kitty had been asked to find.

I thought that too, or that there was something implicating Kitty as a suspect (the murder we've all been waiting for!) and Gregson was trying to do Holmes a favor by getting out in front/not having him be there when they make the arrest.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I didn't necessarily think it was going to be Kitty-related at all. Gregson telling Sherlock to come alone could just mean it was some kind of important, politically-sensitive case that he didn't trust Kitty with simply because he hasn't known her as long as Sherlock.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Honestly, I thought maybe the victim was perhaps just a rape/murder victim. My line of reasoning is that Gregson is a compassionate man, and maybe he wouldn't want to put Kitty in that position if he didn't have to.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Jedit posted:

Why? Although it was fairly obvious that the case had some tie to Kitty, it wasn't a given that it was anything to do with her rape. I initially thought that the body might have been the girl Kitty had been asked to find.

My first thought was that KITTY had murdered someone and that was why Gregson wanted Sherlock to come alone. Then I realized I was an idiot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Still Fluxing posted:

My first thought was that KITTY had murdered someone and that was why Gregson wanted Sherlock to come alone. Then I realized I was an idiot.

You're why Watson has to sell us stuff we're seeing <:saddowns:>

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Pick posted:

You're why Watson has to sell us stuff we're seeing <:saddowns:>

Oh, absolutely. I've just been waiting so long for something terrible to happen re: Kitty that I jumped to conclusions.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

:siren: S3 E11 The Illustrious Client :siren:

Watson begins her new job as an in-house investigator for an insurance firm. However, her attention shifts to a case that is personal for both her and Holmes when they join forces to eliminate an imminent threat to Kitty.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:black101: Kitty totally gonna murder the guy who kidnapped her when she gets a chance.

I'm not working with the police tonight.:toughguy:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 23, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"Another one"?

Holy poo poo. :stare:

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
Not a fan of that random twist.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It does explain Joan getting a job there somewhat out of the blue.

And hopefully they'll keep it from dragging. They've got a good track record so I'm optimistic.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The only thing I really dislike about it, other than being super contrived, is just how blatant a reuse of almost the exact same plot point last season. Bell/Watson get a new job with new characters in an important position. Immediately afterwards? Oh no, they turn out to be evil! :monocle:

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
I was so ready for the real guy to kidnap Joan at the end of the episode, they even fed that with Kitty's leg stepping into frame, that the twist didn't bother me at all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Man, the actress for Kitty really blows it out of the water. Thank goodness she's gotten some real airtime.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Oh. I guess this will be ending the same way as the books then.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Pick posted:

Man, the actress for Kitty really blows it out of the water. Thank goodness she's gotten some real airtime.

She is really good. It looks like Sherlock is going to try to take care of Kitty's problem for her - like when he was avenging Irene Adler's murder.

I do think the twist of her attacker being Joan's new boss was too convenient. I imagine next week they'll manage to tie everything together in a way that makes sense. I hope.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

hollylolly posted:

She is really good. It looks like Sherlock is going to try to take care of Kitty's problem for her - like when he was avenging Irene Adler's murder.

I do think the twist of her attacker being Joan's new boss was too convenient. I imagine next week they'll manage to tie everything together in a way that makes sense. I hope.

I REALLY doubt that will be mere coincidence. That would be extremely lame in a way that I don't see this show doing. Joan's hiring must be directly due to her friendship with Kitty, somehow.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

BreakAtmo posted:

I REALLY doubt that will be mere coincidence. That would be extremely lame in a way that I don't see this show doing. Joan's hiring must be directly due to her friendship with Kitty, somehow.

It's not like Joan, Sherlock and Kitty have been masked superheroes. Investigating Joan can turn up Sherlock and Kitty.. It's likely the insurance guy was telling part of the truth. His company worked with Joan a couple of times and he thought she'd be a good hire so he looked into her and found Sherlock and Kitty, at which point he hired Joan while planning to eliminate Sherlock and Kitty.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

How she absolutely terrifies a seasoned cop into retiring and a criminal's sister into talking really shows to her impact on the plot lines. She's got some fire that Lucy Liu doesn't have.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It kind of sucks that this rich insurance CEO is the bad guy, surely with his resources he can travel to some dismal country and murder people for fun there all he likes. They better come up with a compelling reason for why he chose Kitty as a victim in the first place.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Biomute posted:

It kind of sucks that this rich insurance CEO is the bad guy, surely with his resources he can travel to some dismal country and murder people for fun there all he likes. They better come up with a compelling reason for why he chose Kitty as a victim in the first place.

Kitty was there. Kitty was vulnerable. Kitty fit his victim profile type. What more compelling reasons do you need?

Also, rich strangers going to "dismal countries" might end up raped and murdered before they get a chance to rape and murder their own victims. Serial killers like safety too.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

johntfs posted:

Kitty was there. Kitty was vulnerable. Kitty fit his victim profile type. What more compelling reasons do you need?

Also, rich strangers going to "dismal countries" might end up raped and murdered before they get a chance to rape and murder their own victims. Serial killers like safety too.

Something that explains the added risk and that explains the change in MO. This guy has apparently been good at covering his tracks before, but suddenly he's all about leaving messages and giving Watson a job? I could buy some basement dwelling crazy or mobster doing this thing, but if he's going to turn out to be a semi-mastermind rich gently caress type I can't get it to scan. I'm sure there's some crazy Guantanamo Bay poo poo where rich monsters can go and do their thing, but as Sherlock said this guy has made it personal. Why? If it's something lame like "the one who got away/stalked kitty from afar during college" I'll be disappointed.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Biomute posted:

Something that explains the added risk and that explains the change in MO. This guy has apparently been good at covering his tracks before, but suddenly he's all about leaving messages and giving Watson a job? I could buy some basement dwelling crazy or mobster doing this thing, but if he's going to turn out to be a semi-mastermind rich gently caress type I can't get it to scan. I'm sure there's some crazy Guantanamo Bay poo poo where rich monsters can go and do their thing, but as Sherlock said this guy has made it personal. Why? If it's something lame like "the one who got away/stalked kitty from afar during college" I'll be disappointed.

Kitty got away and damaged the guy's hand in a permanent way when she did. The guy is making it personal. As Sherlock notes, that's a mistake that they can capitalize on.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Yeah, I think the CEO hiring Watson was deliberate, not a coincidence. That's why he was so supportive of her taking immediate time off, he wanted to keep some tabs on her investigation.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Was there any foreshadowing of hand damage? That'd have been neat.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

There is no way Dell hiring Watson was a coincidence. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Biomute posted:

Narcissism. Famed BBC celebrity and philanthropist Jimmy Saville turned to not just be a serial pedophile necrophiliac rapist, he was also brazen about it. But being Jimmy Saville, he just kept getting away with it. For example, he'd sometimes wear, as a ring, a false eye that he took as a momento from one.of his morgue parties and, reportedly, on several occasions, told people about where he got it.

What's crazier than people like that is how easily they can get away with it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Elementary S3: Watson can't have nice things

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, I think the CEO hiring Watson was deliberate, not a coincidence. That's why he was so supportive of her taking immediate time off, he wanted to keep some tabs on her investigation.

It also explains why Gruner was so happy to help Watson illegally obtain medical records to find Simon de Merville. de Merville was already implicated, and Kitty thought he was Melanie's killer and her rapist. Killing de Merville would have closed the case and probably stopped Kitty searching for Gruner as well, leading to her lowering her guard should he intend to come for her.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

therobotking posted:

I really wish there were more episodes like the elevator electromagnet episode.

If we must have a murder each week I'd like more of the cases that solve how the murder happened rather than just who did it. We knew why the elevator victim was killed from the outset but they were killed in an interesting mysterious way.

It seems like every week we just plod through a list of suspects until something comes out of nowhere near the end of the episode to wrap things up.

Now that you mention it, I really liked that case. I've always watched Elementary for the characters but I think I would prefer crimes like that too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Psychopaths need reasons now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Interesting villains do.

• Locked thread