Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I restarted career mode after a horrible accident involving a poorly implemented Jool aerocapture and the loss of a ship with three kerbals on board and decided to take inspiration from Scott Manley's Interstellar Quest and try to launch at least one ship a week. I'm 117 days in and the space around Kerbin is so full of satellites I launched to fulfill contracts that I'm waiting to actually hit one someday. However, this should make it a lot more...natural? of a game, rather than waiting for years and years between missions.

I'm really debating whether to make a tug to de-orbit some of these or if it'd be better to just leave them there and make Kerbin's SOI map a complete disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
You could take a satellite contract and make a sat able to complete the mission, intercept an old sat, and land back at KSC for a refund.

Edit: intercept meaning intercept and grapple.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

None of them are worth refunds, they're just Probodyne cores with solar panels and mystery goo/thermometers/materials bays on them. Maybe I'll deorbit them and land them all at a specific spot on Kerbin and make a graveyard of old, decommissioned satellites.

Actually that sounds fantastic, I'm gonna do that and maybe do the same thing with debris as well.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Sokani posted:

Also, you should turn SAS on stability assist when landing, it will help to fight the tilt. You can also help fight it even more manually if you notice it soon enough and understand how w-a-s-d corresponds to the nav-ball. Like VodeAndreas said, if you close up your gears and do some wiggling you may be able to right yourself since you have a reaction wheel installed.

On the mun that can work, on Eve gravity gives you a big middle finger.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Really wish there were MKS parts to support like one or two kerbals that aren't huge as gently caress, maybe reuse the square karbonite generator model for it? Would help a lot with making small outposts.
Would do it myself if I knew more about how to use module manager to make new parts.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Nalesh posted:

Really wish there were MKS parts to support like one or two kerbals that aren't huge as gently caress, maybe reuse the square karbonite generator model for it? Would help a lot with making small outposts.
Would do it myself if I knew more about how to use module manager to make new parts.

Wouldn't the larger lander can do that job?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

The larger landing can has life support tech?

Also can't seem to find the actual cfg for the generator in K+, only generator thing I can find it DRE stuff for it.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 22, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
If you have TACLS yeah, it carries food, oxygen, water, and you can add a couple of life support cans to boost it for more long-term living.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

If you have TACLS yeah, it carries food, oxygen, water, and you can add a couple of life support cans to boost it for more long-term living.

I meant self sustainability, not just packing a ton of food

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Oh well, don't the colonisation modules include hydroponics? Could you not link up something to grow food?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

They do, but they're insanely huge when considering that they supply like ten kerbals, and are like 2.5m parts, not really something easily portable for a mobile outpost that houses one or two kerbals.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
How far away are they? Because you could easily launch multiple years worth of food to support two Kerbs. Like, a single large life support can with supply two for about 600 days, I think? Even if you only launched one a year you'd be able to keep a colony at Duna supplied indefinitely, and if each launch payload was only a handful of tons the costs would be manageable.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

It's just bad memories about active tanking stuff in eve that puts me off having to actively do stuff for things like this :v:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Duna has CO2 you can scrub into O2. Rocket Fuel is basically H2 and O2 so you can get water if you can do something like karbonite extraction. So you really only need to send food.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
If you just have two Kerbals... MKS does not make sense. you can pack decades of food instead.

The modules are huge because making food takes a lot of space.

Small modules for closed loop (especially food) simply do not make sense. The entire point of the mod is that you have to decide if you pack five years of supplies (with some O2 and H2O reuse), or plan for long term habitation.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

If #ProjectV is not trying to land a spent booster on a raft for Elon Kerbal, gonna be surprised.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

RoverDude posted:

If you just have two Kerbals... MKS does not make sense. you can pack decades of food instead.

The modules are huge because making food takes a lot of space.

Small modules for closed loop (especially food) simply do not make sense. The entire point of the mod is that you have to decide if you pack five years of supplies (with some O2 and H2O reuse), or plan for long term habitation.

I'm still trying to make sense of the bases and how the logistics of the whole thing will work; what I need to make a functioning base, etc. It doesn't help that I'm early on in the career mode and setting my sights on a huge sprawling Minmus base. :jeb: And I just have Karbonite/MKS installed...

Fake edit: I should say this isn't another "OMG ITS SO COMPLICATED ROVERDUDE PLZ DOCUMENT!!!!!", just it's a fun project to wrap my head around. :)

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

DelphiAegis posted:

And I just have Karbonite/MKS installed...

I'm pretty sure that MKS by itself is non-functional, there's really no reason to build bases with it other than to look cool and have fun putting it together. Food/oxygen and the lot only come into play when you have the life support mod installed that requires supplies for your kerbals to not die, and the mining stuff only matters if you're using the launchpad mod that lets you construct ships at your off-world bases. Without those supporting mods all you can do with an MKS base is look cool and return mined materials for cash on Kerbin.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Wanted to share my Eve crew transport crawler with y'all.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

rmdx posted:

It's beautiful.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

rmdx posted:

Where did you get the treads for on that buddy?

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

TescoBag posted:

Where did you get the treads for on that buddy?

It's this mod. They're pretty adjustable and robust, and with them you can really go crazy with all sorts of crawlers. The antigrav stuff that was also included I deleted.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84102-WIP-PARTS-PLUGIN-0-23-5-Kerbal-Foundries-wheelpack-anti-grav-repulsors

Here's my whole Eve gang, including another crawler.

E: Disclaimer: I can't vouch for the current version of that mod, I've got the previous one and can't upgrade since the new one's save-breaking.

vvv The one in the background is just a grocery delivery truck. No drills.

rmdx fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 22, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Is that the Armadillo rover from Armageddon?

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

DelphiAegis posted:

I'm still trying to make sense of the bases and how the logistics of the whole thing will work; what I need to make a functioning base, etc. It doesn't help that I'm early on in the career mode and setting my sights on a huge sprawling Minmus base. :jeb: And I just have Karbonite/MKS installed...

Fake edit: I should say this isn't another "OMG ITS SO COMPLICATED ROVERDUDE PLZ DOCUMENT!!!!!", just it's a fun project to wrap my head around. :)

I am in the same place, read the MKS tutorial last night, now trying to decide how to proceed. Have a spot on the mun picked with low amounts of bot ore and karbonite, plan to drop a factory and build stuff in-place as a test run for how to do it on more distant planets. While that's going I will send out a few satellites to map other places.

Plan is to build most of the base remotely, maybe with just Jeb onsite to do KAS stuff, until it is ready to sustain my contractually-required 9 kerbals.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Jet Jaguar posted:

If #ProjectV is not trying to land a spent booster on a raft for Elon Kerbal, gonna be surprised.

We'll have to disappoint you then.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Maxmaps posted:

Ohh.. wait. huh? drat the English language.

Anyhow I just noticed a mod called "KSP Serial IO". I'm probably one of about ten people on earth that find that exciting. I'm sure most would be thinking of using it to drive gauge clusters and that sort of thing, but I'm thinking more of an interface to a C=64 or Apple II. Or if the mod is versatile or platform independent enough, the space saving emulator versions of said computers.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

General_Failure posted:

Ohh.. wait. huh? drat the English language.

Anyhow I just noticed a mod called "KSP Serial IO". I'm probably one of about ten people on earth that find that exciting. I'm sure most would be thinking of using it to drive gauge clusters and that sort of thing, but I'm thinking more of an interface to a C=64 or Apple II. Or if the mod is versatile or platform independent enough, the space saving emulator versions of said computers.

You just out nerded a thread of pretend rocket scientists.
(but really though I have no idea what that is but it sounds cool)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Spaced God posted:

I can assure you it isn't

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Spaced God posted:

It's just a mod that provides a serial port IO layer. So it'd need a mod using it's APIs to send / receive relevent information via serial port, and a suitable interface on the other end too.

e: Where'd that stray "something" come from???

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 23, 2015

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Maxmaps posted:

No worries. I am happy to be surprised!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

General_Failure posted:

It's just a mod that provides a serial port IO layer. So it'd need a mod using it's APIs to send / receive relevent information via serial port, and a suitable interface on the other end too.
I've been dicking around with it to communicate with an Arduino. Biggest problem is that the guy's example Arduino code is a big mess. I've been working on turning it into an Arduino library instead.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Jet Jaguar posted:

No worries. I am happy to be surprised!

I hope female Kerbals counts as happily surprised!

Forum reaction mixed though!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Maxmaps posted:

I had a hunch when you said it wasn't SpaceX-related that this might be it... LOVE IT! I still remember the pronunciation guide to her name from Charlie Brown's Big Book About Space.

The forums people are high, this is great news and opens the door to other great heroes of space programs.

Now I need a Shapeways version to accompany Jeb, Bob, and Bill.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Oh man, good luck. Gamer nerd communities are the worst when it comes to topics like that.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Maxmaps posted:

The forums have been terrible for a long time now.

Dudes on the internet fundamentally not understanding that it is hard for little girls to get into stuff when none of the characters are women. :allears:

Some of these posts are seriously awful.

Forums shitlord posted:

Can't wait to see how horribly unoptimized they are as well.

Because the first thing a game that is unstable for at least 30% of players due to RAM limits needs right now is more assets. Also, should I start the push for trans-gender Kerbals now? I mean, equality and all... don't half rear end it when you can go all the way.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Splode posted:

The forums have been terrible for a long time now.

Dudes on the internet fundamentally not understanding that it is hard for little girls to get into stuff when none of the characters are women. :allears:

Some of these posts are seriously awful.

You beat me to it, I was going to warn people to not continue reading. If you want that kind of insanity, just go read the tumblr thread in gbs.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Max, the best thing you can do as a PR manager is to not engage. Don't give them any attention. Act like they don't exist. It's attention seeking behavior, or wildly uninformed opinion. Not all statements, questions, or opinions are worthy of a response. Resist the urge to antagonize, mock, teach lessons or shame. If someone is truly spouting hate speech, ban them. They are your official forums, and are there to serve your PR, Support, and some community needs. Free speech rights don't apply fully there.

This is not an action that needs defending, or explanation beyond "This is something the developers want in the game." Don't feed the trolls.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

zxqv8 posted:

go read the tumblr thread in gbs.

Nobody do this, it is a Bad Idea (tm).

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

EpicPhoton posted:

Max, the best thing you can do as a PR manager is to not engage. Don't give them any attention. Act like they don't exist. It's attention seeking behavior, or wildly uninformed opinion. Not all statements, questions, or opinions are worthy of a response. Resist the urge to antagonize, mock, teach lessons or shame. If someone is truly spouting hate speech, ban them. They are your official forums, and are there to serve your PR, Support, and some community needs. Free speech rights don't apply fully there.

This is not an action that needs defending, or explanation beyond "This is something the developers want in the game." Don't feed the trolls.

I did this exact same thing when we showed off a female soldier model in our game. The comments were exactly as you'd expect. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Maxmaps posted:

Awesome!