Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Slashrat posted:

When I got to that part, I just immediately went up the left stairs after picking up the hack tool, then went around to the upstairs sitting room. I managed to sneak past the dude patrolling between that room and the exit while he was looking along the gangway leading to the top of the right stairs, but I imagine you could get all of the humans out of the way too if you just threw a flare downstairs before going through the sitting room.

Yeah, this is weird reading about people getting stuck in this part. It was the one area of the game I had no problem with at all and it was right after the alien first appeared. I just went back to the elevator through the vents and got downstairs from the balcony, the alien wasted everyone and then I got the gently caress out of there.

That area was the very least of my problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, this is weird reading about people getting stuck in this part. It was the one area of the game I had no problem with at all and it was right after the alien first appeared. I just went back to the elevator through the vents and got downstairs from the balcony, the alien wasted everyone and then I got the gently caress out of there.

That area was the very least of my problems.

Huh? I don't think you can even make the alien show up in that section.

As everyone said, that part was actually really bad design, because "how hard it is" depends almost entirely on your default action. Mine was to turn away from the door and hide behind the stairs and observe what everyone was doing, my first time. That way, I saw them come down from the other stairs. That meant that when I reloaded, I just hurried up and went up the opposite stairs and looped around, which meant I only ran into that one guy.

The two solutions are to rush upstairs where they come from and hide behind the boxes as they walk by, or loop around the opposite stairs. Neither will be a default option for someone that hides and waits the situation out, and you basically have to get lucky like I did early on to figure out where they come from to avoid a lot of trial and error. Or kill everyone.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^Maybe I'm mixing up the areas people are describing.^^^

But so far, any time I encounter human enemies it's been pretty easy to just let the alien waste them all and then sneak on by.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^Maybe I'm mixing up the areas people are describing.^^^

But so far, any time I encounter human enemies it's been pretty easy to just let the alien waste them all and then sneak on by.

You are. You go through that area once before the Alien shows up, right after you get the hacking tool. The part you are talking about is right after you return from disabling the lockdown and those guys are still there, then the Alien is scripted to come out and kill whoever you didn't kill before hand.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Darko posted:

Huh? I don't think you can even make the alien show up in that section.

As everyone said, that part was actually really bad design, because "how hard it is" depends almost entirely on your default action. Mine was to turn away from the door and hide behind the stairs and observe what everyone was doing, my first time. That way, I saw them come down from the other stairs. That meant that when I reloaded, I just hurried up and went up the opposite stairs and looped around, which meant I only ran into that one guy.

The two solutions are to rush upstairs where they come from and hide behind the boxes as they walk by, or loop around the opposite stairs. Neither will be a default option for someone that hides and waits the situation out, and you basically have to get lucky like I did early on to figure out where they come from to avoid a lot of trial and error. Or kill everyone.

My problem with that area was that I didn't know where I was even trying to go. I actually thought the upgrade piece I needed was inside that room, so I was trying to sneak around the middle of the room while looking for any kind of upgrade chunk and it was very frustrating because I kept getting spotted.

This was mostly me being stupid, though.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

il serpente cosmico posted:

I got out of there without killing anyone--you need to immediately go up the stairs to your right once you pick up the hacking tool. Hide, allow the survivors to head down the stairs to investigate, and then head directly to the exit. Once they head back upstairs and fan out, it's really difficult to try to sneak through.

You guys are talking about the first part where you encounter human enemies right? You walk into the room and get shot at then she runs away? I remember that part being pretty hard when I played it. I ended up going upstairs into this small cubby area near a window and wrenching them all 1 by 1 as they came around the corner to investigate the ever-growing pile of bodies .

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

My problem with that area was that I didn't know where I was even trying to go. I actually thought the upgrade piece I needed was inside that room, so I was trying to sneak around the middle of the room while looking for any kind of upgrade chunk and it was very frustrating because I kept getting spotted.

This was mostly me being stupid, though.

Yeah, that's the other thing. Early on, there's little indication as to what to do in general, as you're still figuring things out. It took me a little while to figure out to go in that bottom vent when you first go into the station and see your ship pass by in the windows as well.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Apple2o posted:

You guys are talking about the first part where you encounter human enemies right? You walk into the room and get shot at then she runs away? I remember that part being pretty hard when I played it. I ended up going upstairs into this small cubby area near a window and wrenching them all 1 by 1 as they came around the corner to investigate the ever-growing pile of bodies .

Yup, that's the area. I'm guessing it'd be a little easier on the second playthrough now that I understand the mechanics better, but it was pretty frustrating the first time through. And considering it's pretty much the first bit of actual stealth game-play, it had me worried that the rest of the game would be similarly frustrating.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I remember in that section thinking that since they had just introduced the rewire mechanic that it must be extremely important for getting through this section, so I spend a bunch of time sneaking around trying to rewire things to no end, trying to draw the survivors away so I could find the battery or whatever.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Only downside to the rewire mechanic is, even looking at the map on the side, it's not always easy to immediately tell where you are in relation to the stuff you're altering (or what it'll do).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Speedball posted:

Only downside to the rewire mechanic is, even looking at the map on the side, it's not always easy to immediately tell where you are in relation to the stuff you're altering (or what it'll do).

yeah they probably realized it wasn't working out and scaled back their vision for it to toggling a few cameras/doors.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In that section I just sneaked around and killed the humans one by one, it was not a problem at all, on hard. The most hilarious way of doing it is throwing a flare into a corner and just killing them all starting from the ones staring at it from far away. Sure I died when I got cocky and didn't know how deadly the firearms are yet. Honestly the only thing that section showed me was how incredibly bad the human AI in the game is and how easy it was to play with it even not fully understanding the tricks to it yet.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 22, 2015

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
In the room you get the hack tool, none of the humans will return until you actually pick it up. So when you first enter the room, after she shoots at you an runs away , you are free to roam the room at your leisure, hacking anything you like and checking where the vents lead too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Speedball posted:

I'm having this same issue. I'm not always sure what's beneficial to turn on or off and it seems like you're limited by a points system or something as to what you can alter. "Air Purification"? Sounds like that should be turned on but it seems like not always. I need to read a FAQ about the re-wiring.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Yup, that's the area. I'm guessing it'd be a little easier on the second playthrough now that I understand the mechanics better, but it was pretty frustrating the first time through. And considering it's pretty much the first bit of actual stealth game-play, it had me worried that the rest of the game would be similarly frustrating.

Ok, so maybe I wasn't confusing the areas. Yeah, I just got the gently caress away from the gunfire, found the thing-a-ma-gig I needed, alien came out, I hid and then when I got back to the main elevator door the alien killed everyone for me.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Turning off air-purification just makes some of the vents start spewing thick fog. Theoretically this might make it easier to hide, but I haven't had much occasion to play with it.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 22, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
The re-wire mechanic is more likely to get you killed than anything else. It's best to ignore it except when you need to get collectibles or turn off an annoying camera. Sometimes the speaker one can get people to move to a specific location, but that's about it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The re-wrie boxes also seem to mostly disappear halfway into the game so it seems like something that they didn't really implement as much as they wanted to.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
They seemed pretty essential during the no alien, Working Joes only phase of the game, at least to me.

Definitely seemed like a scaled-back mechanic, though. I used them almost exclusively for cameras.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Slashrat posted:

I think you're hosed unfortunately. You should be able to select to start from mission 2, so you can skip the prologue on the Torrens at least.
Thanks. That's what I ended up doing, no amount of reloading saves or the game altered the bugged state. Annoying :(

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

BiggerBoat posted:

"Air Purification"? Sounds like that should be turned on but it seems like not always. I need to read a FAQ about the re-wiring.
Actually air purification is the only option that you should always turn off on sight as it can only be benefitial to you. It obscures the view of the enemies - no matter if it's androids, humans or the Xeno.

AnxiousApatosaurus
Sep 2, 2004

Stylist

Palpek posted:

Actually air purification is the only option that you should always turn off on sight as it can only be benefitial to you. It obscures the view of the enemies - no matter if it's androids, humans or the Xeno.

Doesn't it make you cough and draw attention sometimes though? It's been a few months since I last played but I think I remember that happening.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Apple2o posted:

Did the exact same thing. It was hilarious and terrifying.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I haven't tested whether air purification clouds make you cough, but I do know that walking through falling dust when the station gets rocked by tremors makes you cough.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
does plugging in a microphone still work? I watched a few vids where people leaving their mics on alerted the alien

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

does plugging in a microphone still work? I watched a few vids where people leaving their mics on alerted the alien

Whenever I've streamed the game or watched someone else streaming it, I've never noticed mic usage cause anything to notice you. What you were seeing was probably coincidence.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Whenever I've streamed the game or watched someone else streaming it, I've never noticed mic usage cause anything to notice you. What you were seeing was probably coincidence.

What about tape recorders? And yeah. Why does Ripley slam the poo poo out of the locker doors every time she's trying to hide? Freaks me out.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

BiggerBoat posted:

What about tape recorders? And yeah. Why does Ripley slam the poo poo out of the locker doors every time she's trying to hide? Freaks me out.

Same deal with tape recorders, I don't think I've ever had an incidence where I noticed it causing something to notice you, but I'm less certain on that than I am on mics. Presumably Ripley has a headset that plays the recording for you, since you don't have to stay near the physical object to keep hearing it. Radios do attract enemies though.

And yeah, the locker door slam bothers me too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My favorite parts are when amanda yells at people on the radio when the alien is around, then you exhale at a volume exceeding 10 db in a locker and it instantly ganks you. Video games!

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I've climbed into a locker before as the alien was doing his "I'm suspicious " hiss" when he first starts noticing you, with out him finding and killing me. So I've never found it too risky other then the usual hiding in lockers makes him peak at lockers more often. knocking over objects doesn't seem to make much or any noise either. Though sprinting seems to attract alot of attention.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Shnag posted:

I've climbed into a locker before as the alien was doing his "I'm suspicious " hiss" when he first starts noticing you, with out him finding and killing me. So I've never found it too risky other then the usual hiding in lockers makes him peak at lockers more often. knocking over objects doesn't seem to make much or any noise either. Though sprinting seems to attract alot of attention.

Some objects do draw its attention, but its hard to tell when it will happen. Kick a can while looking around? Dead. Knock over a chair with the alien 3 feet away? It jumps into a vent.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

yes. But they have to turn they setting on. Most people don't play with it on for good reasons

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I've only ever been brave enough to watch someone else play this game. We had to take frequent breaks because we were getting so stressed out from hiding and creeping around trying to get to a save point. This is a terrifying but fascinating game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shnag posted:

If you hide in a locker, lean to the sides. If you can't see it, chances are it can't see you :eng101:. The Alien having a direct gaze at the grille really will trigger it coming over to have a look-see.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Quick question about blueprints: do they "stack", or if you find V2 before V1 you get the upgraded version?
Also, does getting the V2 plan before V1 makes V1 disappear from the game?
I somehow missed the V1 smokebombs and found V2; I thought I'd do a bit of backtracking and get V1 right after meeting with the marshals. Weird enough, I went back to communications and didn't find a single enemy. No working joes, the alien was nowhere to be seen, but the V1 plan wasn't where it was supposed to be.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Edmond Dantes posted:

Quick question about blueprints: do they "stack", or if you find V2 before V1 you get the upgraded version?
Also, does getting the V2 plan before V1 makes V1 disappear from the game?
I somehow missed the V1 smokebombs and found V2; I thought I'd do a bit of backtracking and get V1 right after meeting with the marshals. Weird enough, I went back to communications and didn't find a single enemy. No working joes, the alien was nowhere to be seen, but the V1 plan wasn't where it was supposed to be.

They don't stack, they replace. So if you find the v.2 smoke bomb, there is no need for the v.1.

About the survival mode, what does LVL 1 SAT or LVL 2 SAT mean? Next to characters you can select it shows their equipment, but I don't quite get the meaning of that. Is it referring to the LVL the plans you have at your disposal are at?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

The Repo Man posted:

They don't stack, they replace. So if you find the v.2 smoke bomb, there is no need for the v.1.

About the survival mode, what does LVL 1 SAT or LVL 2 SAT mean? Next to characters you can select it shows their equipment, but I don't quite get the meaning of that. Is it referring to the LVL the plans you have at your disposal are at?

Ah, cheers. I thought as much, but thanks for the confirmation.

Only thing that's bugged me so far about the game, except for a few savepoints too far from each other (maybe I missed one in between, but I don't think I did, medical comes to mind), is that the throwing angle on things is weird. It's already happened two or three times that I'd aim a noisemaker over a ledge to lead sparky down some stairs only for it to smack against said ledge, fall at my feet, and trigger an express delivery of teeth.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The Repo Man posted:

SAT is Security Access Tuner. It's the hacking device . Higher level allows you to hack higher level targets, and you also have a wider margin to detect the signal.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Repo Man posted:

Some objects do draw its attention, but its hard to tell when it will happen. Kick a can while looking around? Dead. Knock over a chair with the alien 3 feet away? It jumps into a vent.
So what you're saying is the Alien is like a cat. Drop a cat toy at your feet and it'll mercilessly assault your leg, but knock over something big and it'll scamper off to hide (and jump you when you least expect it).

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

So what you're saying is the Alien is like a cat. Drop a cat toy at your feet and it'll mercilessly assault your leg, but knock over something big and it'll scamper off to hide (and jump you when you least expect it).

How did you think Jones managed to survive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The saddest moment of Aliens is when you realise that's the last time Jones ever sees Ripley.

• Locked thread