Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just bring Quistis and Selphie

We're pretty close to the point where party selection is gonna affect more than three random encounters, but not quite yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Bring Zell and Rinoa, let's make this as awkward as possible.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bring Quistis and Selphie.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009
Bring anyone who can bring us out of this mope party. I forgot how quickly everyone just gets completely mopey in this game (and how much that grated on me when I played).

Also, in the future can you let us know who we're obligated to keep in the party for these choices, so we know who's available to dump/bring.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Voting for Quistis and Rinoa

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Voting for Zell and Selphie

Changed my vote. Going with the idea of keeping team Rookie together.

mauman fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 24, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
As to Rinoa, there's "expressing oneself ineloquently," and then there's "regressing to a five year-old." That whole "MEANY!" thing is just terrible. Rinoa is terrible. Almost as terrible as everyone else on the team.

Anyway, Quistis and Selphie because they haven't been incredibly irritating recently.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I can't help but wonder how the "MEANY!" line was in the original Japanese. While the game is free of "Engrish" and accidental grammar oddities, it is entirely possible that there was a bit of cultural confusion in some of the lines.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Well, she couldn't say "rear end in a top hat!" in a jRPG, could she?

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
No, but she could have gone with the still not elegant, but...not 5-year-old "JERK!" or the still immature, but not totally false for a teenage girl, inelegant, "YOU SUCK!"

The problem with "meany," is, intentions aside, have you heard anyone over the age of 6 use it in serious anger? On a girl her age's lips, it's more likely to be used in a cutsey, pouty way, with about as much rage or passion as sticking out her tongue. It's just too much a sort of babytalk to really be what they were going for, making her sound hopelessly affected at best, and seriously dubious sign for her intelligence at worst. In other words, probably the exact opposite of what may have been intended, and certainly, the exact opposite of the best defense that can be made of the line.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Selphie ist the only ray of light in this scene filled to the brim with joyless misery.

EDIT: Not unlike the dark miasmas coursing through the tainted blood of Squall, cursed as he was to be born into this pain-filled world.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Bring Selphie and Zell. Keep Team Rookie together!

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Quistis and Selphie

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Selphie and Zell.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

We're pretty close to the point where party selection is gonna affect more than three random encounters, but not quite yet.

What's this about?

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

exethan posted:

What's this about?
We're getting another party member soon (try to contain your surprise), as well as coming up on a portion where we'll split into two teams for a full mission. But the latter is still a while away, so...

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I know about the new party member, I just didn't know how random encounters were different based on parties you choose.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

exethan posted:

I know about the new party member, I just didn't know how random encounters were different based on parties you choose.

I think he's just saying it doesn't really matter because reasons

EDIT: Oh right, Quistis and Selphie because Selphie will like the train ride and Quistis can be blonde and in a pink dress.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 24, 2015

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rinoa and Selphie

Selphie because trains, and Rinoa because she knows the area better that Quistis, I'm sure. Having a local with us sounds like a better idea than Quistis' "I've been there several times."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

exethan posted:

What's this about?

There's a mandatory party segment coming up :ssh:

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Quistis and Rinoa.

Quistis as we haven't seen her limits yet and Rinoa because I dread to think what she'd get up to without us to look after her.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Quistis and Rinoa.
Quistis because I wanna see her beat some things.
Rinoa to make this awkward.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

D3m3 posted:

On a girl her age's lips, it's more likely to be used in a cutsey, pouty way, with about as much rage or passion as sticking out her tongue.

Rinoa is not mature.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

eating only apples posted:

Rinoa is not mature.

There's still a difference between "Immature" and "Makes Selphie look like a responsible adult".

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

MoadDib posted:

Also, in the future can you let us know who we're obligated to keep in the party for these choices, so we know who's available to dump/bring.

When in doubt, assume that Squall is required and you're free to choose whoever you like for the other two slots. It's usually fairly clear if you're in a "you have to bring this person" or a "you may not bring this person" scenario. Usually.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Quistis and Selphie.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

eating only apples posted:

Rinoa is not mature.

Case in point, really. See the difference in tone? That's a perfect place for "Meany." Here, when she's actually, sincerely angry? Not so much, unless you want to take it 7 steps beyond "immature" and go for "May actually be 6 years old," since only small children -- and not even reliably then -- would use it to be actually angry with.

D3m3 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 24, 2015

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I forgot about the mandatory stuff coming up.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Let's go Zell and Rinoa. Zell hosed up bad and he knows it, but we're stuck with him so as a responsible leader we oughtta let him blow off some steam. And Rinoa because okay big boss lady let's see how you bring it.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06
Voting for Selphie because trains and Rinoa for maximum awkwardness.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Selphie and Quistis. Highest stats or no, any opportunity to keep Rinoa out of the party should be savoured, and we've seen very little of Quistis lately.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
My vote is for Rinoa and Selphie.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Quistis and Selphie, because Zell needs a time out and Quistis is a vaguely logical person.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Alzion posted:

Voting for Selphie because trains and Rinoa for maximum awkwardness.

I'll vote this for the same reasons.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Zell and Rinoa are who I would take. It's really really hilarious hearing Squall tell Rinoa that things don't always work out in the end.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

It's really really hilarious hearing Squall tell Rinoa that things don't always work out in the end.

Squall should have a live advice column

xanga.com/maybeimalion

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
Quistis and Rinoa for no good reason.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

Quistis and Rinoa because I am the president of Team Rinoa.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Heads up, voting for party members closes tonight when I get home (about 9 hours from now I guess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm voting for Quistis and Zell.

• Locked thread