Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How is the shooting bad? I thought it was great, but I am far from a Video Game Critic.

There are a lot of completely trash guns because of many of their stupid "random" attributes. Thing like slow moving projectiles (darts), explode after a few second projectiles (like the Needler from Halo), and other "crazy" features that made the shooting really bad. It's a testament to bad game design when you pick up rare weapons just hoping it fires bullets like regular gun is supposed.

It boiled down to only a few specific orange weapons (that have a 0.0001% drop rate, and BL2 just gave away tons of gold keys as an apology) being useful past the regular game. Oh, and it was mandatory to have a slag gun, so you could slag the enemies in order to doing actual damage 2/3rds into the regular game as well.

There were so many features that absolutely reeked of artificially extending the play time via repetition. I'm so glad people's opinions turned against BL2TPS as quick as they did and I'm hoping that BL3 gets savaged for being just another unfunny clone of BL1 unless Gearbox decides to make some revolutionary changes to the game, like dropping the memes and streamlining the shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Gilok posted:

Baldr's gate

Make it stop :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

Counterpoint: Volcano sniper, masher revolver, double anarchy (these were all pretty common in BL1)

I agree that BL2 was a bit underwhelming gunwise and that's why I had way more fun when I changed the loot distribution so that legendaries actually dropped.

Yeah I never saw any of those, and those are three of 120+ guns.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
What the hell is the point in playing anime titty candy crush when you can just google for anime tits in like 5 seconds?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Innerguard posted:

What the hell is the point in playing anime titty candy crush when you can just google for anime tits in like 5 seconds?

Challenge/Reward ratio?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd buy the poo poo out of the Persona games if they were on Steam.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I'd buy the poo poo out of the Persona games if they were on Steam.

Same. Actually I'd buy a lot of the stuff Atlus has published if it came out on PC.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Anyone have their save for Super House of Dead Ninjas disappear on them lately? I hadn't played it in a while but I loaded it up last night and see its all gone. So I played for a little, unlocked some of the important stuff, went to bed, and this morning its all gone again.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Persona, Disgaea and the Tales of.. series are the three I'd purchase immediately.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Krowley posted:

Sounds like you played it for triple digit hours then. I only played for a couple so I have no idea what any of those things mean

Okay, in layman's terms: I enjoyed the shooting, at least in Borderlands 1.

That said, it's aged a bit with regards to all of the other shooters I've played since, and it's hard to jump back into, even with friends. Loot is much better, but little else is.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

This is alright.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Goons buying anime games for attention and to make lovely jokes about it in steam and forums

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
http://kotaku.com/popular-youtuber-denounces-steam-plans-to-curate-own-s-1681420318 why do people care so much if shovelware is on steam
am i out of touch never having heard of this guy

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Fat Care-Bear posted:

Goons buying anime games for attention and to make lovely jokes about it in steam and forums

It has indeed been a flood of animeanimetistitstits lately, yes. I'm usually indifferent, but it's getting kind of boring, tbh.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Relin posted:

http://kotaku.com/popular-youtuber-denounces-steam-plans-to-curate-own-s-1681420318 why do people care so much if shovelware is on steam

I'm sure building an entire storefront and relying on what, ad revenue(?) is going to be a successful business model.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It's not Steam, but worthy of note: They're unveiling a Guild Wars 2 expansion right now, and the base game is currently on sale (for one day only, I think) for $10/£8.75 on the official site. It's a pretty beefy 70-80 hours of ARPG-ish, solo-friendly MMO, although better with friends.

It's one of those games where a lot of the most hardcore players have completely burnt out... and still play six hours a day, so will tell you that it's the worst thing ever and you should run for the hills. Feel free to disregard them.

It's definitely worth the $10, at the very least.

Edit: Apparently for some the GW2 store page lists the game as still $40. If you click 'buy' it goes down to $10 on the next screen though.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 24, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Relin posted:

Lmao another youtube nerd going on an ego trip, people are hilarious, nobody will care about this in 2 days haha.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Palpek posted:

Lmao another youtube nerd going on an ego trip, people are hilarious, nobody will care about this in 2 days haha.

No, he's of course going to be successful, Steam's going down this day!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think the worst part is how badly written the article is. I know that basically random bloggers write for Kotaku but it's low even for them. "It's an interesting idea, for sure. If nothing else, it directs eyeballs away from Steam—to games that might fall outside its massive chomping bear trap—so that's good." I've seen more in-depth and well written forums shitposts, cripes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Palpek posted:

I think the worst part is how badly written the article is. I know that basically random bloggers write for Kotaku but it's low even for them. "It's an interesting idea, for sure. If nothing else, it directs eyeballs away from Steam—to games that might fall outside its massive chomping bear trap—so that's good." I've seen more in-depth and well written forums shitposts, cripes.

My favorite part was

quote:

Back in the day, [Steam] was a walled garden surrounded by a moat full of genetically enhanced killer mermaids

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

computer parts posted:

My favorite part was

The "back in the day" stuff always amuses me, like these people think Steam was so much better when it was a miniscule selection of a few games that were "perfect" rather then a vast marketplace.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

pentyne posted:

The "back in the day" stuff always amuses me, like these people think Steam was so much better when it was a miniscule selection of a few games that were "perfect" rather then a vast marketplace.

Rag Doll Kung Fu was a flawless masterpiece, 5/5.

edit: I actually considered buying that game back when I was doing my mandatory Half-Life 2 Steam install, because it was like the only other game on Steam besides Half-Life, Half-Life 2 and the mods for HL1 and 2.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Dominic White posted:

It's not Steam, but worthy of note: They're unveiling a Guild Wars 2 expansion right now, and the base game is currently on sale (for one day only, I think) for $10/£8.75 on the official site. It's a pretty beefy 70-80 hours of ARPG-ish, solo-friendly MMO, although better with friends.

It's one of those games where a lot of the most hardcore players have completely burnt out... and still play six hours a day, so will tell you that it's the worst thing ever and you should run for the hills. Feel free to disregard them.

It's definitely worth the $10, at the very least.

I tried this as someone who loves turrets, played as an engineer, and got bored by like level 10.

Does playing around with turrets/deployables get much more fun? Or should I just try the necro instead? :(

Orv
May 4, 2011

Morter posted:

I tried this as someone who loves turrets, played as an engineer, and got bored by like level 10.

Does playing around with turrets/deployables get much more fun? Or should I just try the necro instead? :(

You never even got the flamethrower! Or the goo thrower. Or the grenades and the bombs and the bombs and the guns.

Engineer is pretty cool.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

King Vidiot posted:

Rag Doll Kung Fu was a flawless masterpiece, 5/5.

edit: I actually considered buying that game back when I was doing my mandatory Half-Life 2 Steam install, because it was like the only other game on Steam besides Half-Life, Half-Life 2 and the mods for HL1 and 2.

Wasn't Rag Doll Kung Fu the first third party game on Steam along with Eternity Child?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Morter posted:

I've never really played around with engineer myself, but I gather they've done some pretty big overhauls to the class now. But yeah, you get stuff like flamethowers and rocket jumping once you're up to speed. Lv30 is where you unlock your last ability slot, and everything from there is customizing your build.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Rirse posted:

Wasn't Rag Doll Kung Fu the first third party game on Steam along with Eternity Child?

Yep. It had literally no other competition for a while and it looked like a neat enough gimmick. I played the demo for five minutes and then promptly forgot about it. Also haha it's actually still available on Steam for what I'm pretty sure is its original release price.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Oh I'm more interested in ballistics than I am flamethrowers. In fact, I think I did unlock a flamethrower...I remember because I was being chased by some wolves past some man-high stream that I had to get out of to shoot. Maybe. I don't know, it's been some months.

I think the issue was that primary abilities used to get unlocked at like level 4 or 5, but then they recently changed to unlock at a much higher level, 12 or 13. I did unlock turrets and I think a grenade pack, but both of them felt underwhelming. I understand it's because I just unlocked them, but I was wondering if you could deploy more than one at once in the future?

I mean, the turrets in Firefall feel more helpful, but then again that's just a straight shooty game, which is more my style.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
I'm eternally fascinated by the people who slam the Early Access Program (like that Youtuber blowhard) for people giving up and leaving their games in Alpha/Beta state. Is a gun being held up against their heads to actually buy these things or what?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

"I think it's ridiculous that one random dude who makes videos on the internet can make something popular that's really lovely"

"I'm starting my own game curation website come check it out, like comment and slam that subscribe button"

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Don't half of these Youtube superstars make money of playing garbage on Greenlight? I mean, there are simply not enough super polished games coming out on a month-to-month basis for them to feasibly put out the level of content that they rely on, right?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Radio Paranoia posted:

Don't half of these Youtube superstars make money of playing garbage on Greenlight? I mean, there are simply not enough super polished games coming out on a month-to-month basis for them to feasibly put out the level of content that they rely on, right?

That's part of it, others like unfinished games because it gives them excuse to mug for the camera whenever some benign glitch happens and they can be all "WHAAAAT, UNFINISHED ASSETS! THAT'S SO RANDOM, LIKE/SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE!".

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Radio Paranoia posted:

Yeah a bunch of Twitch and Youtube people played H1Z1 or whatever it's called in the last week, but they totally weren't advertising it and it's not pay to win.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
On the other hand, I had no loving clue about GOG Galaxy until I saw that article so that's neat.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

For christmas I got an in-game TF2 gift of several Mann-up tickets.

I went on one of the new tours and ended up getting an Australium Rocket Launcher.

Which I just sold for $190 on the steam market.

I have absolutely no idea what games to buy with this. Wish I could use it outside of steam because I have a sick pet, but since I can't...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Could offer discounts on Steam games with it like some people are doing in the SA Mart. Buy them with the steam money, have people paypal you real money.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Uhh, to be fair to Nerd3 (who is at least less annoying than most other "popular Youtube stars" or whatever the gently caress they are imho) that article misrepresents that video horribly. The only thing he's doing is removing his curator page in protest of steam's EA/greenlight/let-every-poo poo-game-in model, not abandoning using steam entirely as the title suggests. It still comes off like impotent, unimportant ego-driven nerd rage, but in general the criticisms he has are some of the ones I see in this thread all the time :shrug:

also his curation page will be through humble so he isnt going to make any money through it, just name-recognition I guess. Honestly doesn't seem that bad to me, the article is just good 'ole lovely vidya game "journalism" making something out of nothing

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
apparently the person in the title has not played huniepop

can a goon give me their unbiased review, tia

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

khy posted:

For christmas I got an in-game TF2 gift of several Mann-up tickets.

I went on one of the new tours and ended up getting an Australium Rocket Launcher.

Which I just sold for $190 on the steam market.

I have absolutely no idea what games to buy with this. Wish I could use it outside of steam because I have a sick pet, but since I can't...
Huh. I just deleted mine. Are there goon-specific servers / tour events (I don't even know, since I never bothered with the mode) that at least have a chance of not ending the tour in failure and tears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Logan 5 posted:

It still comes off like impotent, unimportant ego-driven nerd rage, but in general the criticisms he has are some of the ones I see in this thread all the time :shrug:

The complaints in this thread are also bad.

• Locked thread