Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Is there a consensus on, like... Whether Lynch had always planned this? I'm sure it's been mentioned again, but one of the more memorable quotes from the Red Room is "I'll see you again in 25 years." Although, I suppose this is tied up and accounted for in the series, since the "original Red Room" sequence has Cooper with old-age makeup on (old-age makeup that was so poorly done and dated that I didn't even recognize it as such when I first saw the series like 10 years ago; I just thought something screwed up had happened to his face in the dream). I was glad it was clarified in dialogue later.

But anyway, I can't seem to think the "25 years" thing is a coincidence. The implication I always got was that was how long Dale (or perhaps I should say "The Good Dale) has been trapped in The Red Room for.

I still honestly can't believe this is happening, complete with both Lynch and Frost. I'm trying not to get too excited, but as a rule anything Lynch is involved with tends to be at least worth seeing, whether it wins up being really great or not. Have to say that it's so important that Frost is back, because I felt like what made that first season in particular so special and amazing and "lightning in a bottle" was that it matched up Lynch with someone who had done amazing work in television with Hill Street Blues in the '80s - which was a hugely influential series that was way ahead of its time - but he still was a guy who struck me as much more grounded in the television world than Lynch was, say, grounded in the film world.

My point being that you almost see this balance go out of whack in the second season when Lynch left, and then you can see it fall back into place in the finale when Lynch came back. So to be frank, I'm way more excited for this because they're both returning, and I'm hoping they can rediscover whatever balance/working relationship they had that made season 1 in particular such a success. Like, if you go back and look, all the very best episodes tended to have David Lynch directing, and usually Frost writing (often with just Lynch). The absolute 2 best episodes in my opinion - "The Pilot" and "Episode 2" (which was the third episode aired and the one that ends with the Red Room sequence) were the only episodes in the series to be credited with Lynch directing and a straight co-writing credit between Lynch and Frost.

Based on that, I have to say that I am very excited to hear that all 10 episodes will be directed by Lynch, and co-written by Lynch and Frost. Not that I expect all the material to be as good as The Pilot for Twin Peaks and The Red Room episode, which are both practically legendary. But. well... Getting the same two people to essentially make this "limited series" as a 10-episode film (which is how I'm perceiving this, sort of like the recent Fargo/True Detective, both of which hilariously owe so much to Twin Peaks still) is about as good as you could possibly hope for, as a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
From everything I've read about David Lynch he doesn't strike me as a guy that would be inclined or capable of planning something 25 years in advance.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
There's a difference between A Formal Plan and Churning Your Creation Through The Permutations Provided By A Strange Brain. While Lynch/Frost probably never wrote anything down, I guarantee each has had ideas pop into their heads on a regular basis over the last two decades. You don't create a vast world of colorful characters and entrench yourself in its themes and motifs for years without carrying it around with you forever.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

grilldos posted:

There's a difference between A Formal Plan and Churning Your Creation Through The Permutations Provided By A Strange Brain. While Lynch/Frost probably never wrote anything down, I guarantee each has had ideas pop into their heads on a regular basis over the last two decades. You don't create a vast world of colorful characters and entrench yourself in its themes and motifs for years without carrying it around with you forever.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Teed up and hit. Thank you.

(It's apropos I wrote that post while on the shitter.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I'm sorry YOU fell in love with an imperfect version of Star Wars.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like if Lynch ever went full-on George Lucas he would just gently caress with the sound levels endlessly.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jack Gladney posted:

I feel like if Lynch ever went full-on George Lucas he would just gently caress with the sound levels endlessly.

That sounds about right to me.

Speaking of sound levels, I'm glad they fixed the Pink Room scene on the FWWM blu-ray. It's so much more oppressive when they can't hear each other over the music.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

david_a posted:

From everything I've read about David Lynch he doesn't strike me as a guy that would be inclined or capable of planning something 25 years in advance.

Hasn't "Ronnie Rocket" has been his planned next film for about 38 years? Based on this, I think his plans and what happens aren't necessarily all that concrete or one big masterplan.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Having just watched the prequels I can assure you, Lucas carries it with him.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

kaworu posted:

Is there a consensus on, like... Whether Lynch had always planned this?

I'm sure it's the sort of thing that he had kicking around in his head back then and never really stopped thinking about from time to time, but as far as planning on completing the story 25 years later? I think we're all just really lucky that hipsters have latched onto this show recently or else no one would have given Lynch and Frost this shot.

edit: Timothy Olyphant would be an interesting BOB because he can be so scary and menacing but he's loving gorgeous at the same time.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Oh those hipsters.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Gatekeeper posted:

I think we're all just really lucky that hipsters have latched onto this show recently Netflix Streaming Instant added Twin Peaks a few years back or else no one would have given Lynch and Frost this shot.

Fixed that for you

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
Don't get me wrong, I love hipsters, but five years ago no one in Brooklyn was holding Twin Peaks themed Halloween parties or starting bands called Silent Drape Runners.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Its definitely the Netflix effect. For years and years fans had to just tell people that Twin Peaks was great but you couldn't easily recommend it unless you had the DVD set and were willing to lend it out. There was also plenty of time before that DVD set was ever released where seeing the complete run of the show would have been more effort that most people were willing to put in.

As a kid in the mid 90's I just happened to have a summer camp counselor who was into the show and owned all the VHS tapes so I got to see it at an early age. If not for that dude I'd probably be seeing it for the first time this year along with all the hipsters.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

I watched it when I was a little kid with my parents and I remember thinking the cherry stem knot was a really cool trick and totally missed the whole "yeah, Audrey can do that with her tongue" thing and I taught myself to do it and for years afterwards I'd proudly show people and then one day it hit me and I wondered why no adult, including my parents, had ever told me to knock it off.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

There was also plenty of time before that DVD set was ever released where seeing the complete run of the show would have been more effort that most people were willing to put in.

This was a golden age of being a pop culture geek when we used to trade tapes in the mail and poo poo. It was expensive and difficult just to get stuff. Now we're in a different golden age where everything is available always and its loving awesome too, in a completely different way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

InfiniteZero posted:

This was a golden age of being a pop culture geek when we used to trade tapes in the mail and poo poo. It was expensive and difficult just to get stuff. Now we're in a different golden age where everything is available always and its loving awesome too, in a completely different way.

Yea this camp counselor that I had seemed to carry around these Twin Peaks VHS tapes like they were his most prized possession and he was so proud to be able to show them to a whole group of young kids(we were old enough that it wasn't inappropriate) who would have never seen the show otherwise. He was working as a counselor for 8 weeks and had like a dorm-room's worth of space for his poo poo, but these Twin Peaks tapes were deemed important enough to bring along. He was on some sort of mission to show them to as may people as possible.

For the next 15 years or so I never met anyone else who owned these tapes, there's 0 chance I'd have seen the show if not for that summer.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I can still remember that even though the first season was already out on DVD, it took years and years and years for the second season to be released. I'm not sure if that was worldwide or just a region 2 problem, but I remember having to watch the second season as ultra-bad quality rips the first time around. Just makes me treasure the Entire Mystery Blu-Ray box set even more.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

DominoDancing posted:

I remember having to watch the second season as ultra-bad quality rips the first time around.

It had nothing to do with the rips, that's just season 2 :slick:

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Polo-Rican posted:

It had nothing to do with the rips, that's just season 2 :slick:

You little rascal, you!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DominoDancing posted:

I can still remember that even though the first season was already out on DVD, it took years and years and years for the second season to be released. I'm not sure if that was worldwide or just a region 2 problem, but I remember having to watch the second season as ultra-bad quality rips the first time around. Just makes me treasure the Entire Mystery Blu-Ray box set even more.

If I remember correctly the first DVD set did not even have the Pilot.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

Yup, and also I remember that it was one of those releases that was delayed for a while coming to Canada. Probably a rights thing or maybe just as simple as forgetting to include "Doubles Pics" on the cover or something(*).

:canada:

(*) note: it really was delayed in Canada, but no, it's not actually called "Doubles Pics" in French.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Gatekeeper posted:

I watched it when I was a little kid with my parents and I remember thinking the cherry stem knot was a really cool trick and totally missed the whole "yeah, Audrey can do that with her tongue" thing and I taught myself to do it and for years afterwards I'd proudly show people and then one day it hit me and I wondered why no adult, including my parents, had ever told me to knock it off.

How did you do this?? I watched the show in middle school and tried to learn the stem trick too (without sexual awareness either) but didn't even get close. Do you have to bite one end between your teeth to anchor it?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Rabbit Hill posted:

How did you do this??

The easiest way to do it of course is to tie one up with your hands, pop it in your mouth, and then make a big show of putting another one in your mouth which you then "tie" with your sexual tongue prowess when you pull out the previous one that you pre-tied.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
That's basically what I figured 25 years ago: it was just a TV trick. Never encountered someone who could actually do it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

bobkatt013 posted:

I do miss the commentaries on that DVD set, though.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Rabbit Hill posted:

That's basically what I figured 25 years ago: it was just a TV trick. Never encountered someone who could actually do it.

If I remember correctly, it was even one of the tricks in one of Penn & Teller's books of magic tricks they printed years ago.

"How To Play With Your Food" in all likelihood. That book had some great stuff, and even came with a bunch of pre-printed fortune cookie fortunes, like one that said something like "Foolish monkey man will pay the price!" which also came with a story you could tell your friends at the table about how you were cursed by some mystic lady in Chinatown on the way home and how she called you "Monkey man" or something like that (the actual thing is way better than I am describing) and then when you open fortune cookies after the meal you were supposed to make a horrified face and throw that fortune onto the table instead of the one you actually got.

Simple stuff, but potentially amusing.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 26, 2015

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
It said, "Foolish skeptic! Monkey man will make you believe." And yes there was a thing about tying a cherry stem, and it referenced Twin Peaks, and when I read the book I had no idea who Sherilyn Fenn was or what Twin Peaks was (I later confused the name with Wuthering Heights and Northern Exposure, somehow) but when I watched Twin Peaks years later it came flashing back to me in a really weird way. Fun book.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Rabbit Hill posted:

Do you have to bite one end between your teeth to anchor it?

This, and trying it for long enough that the stem gets flimsy and easier to manipulate, basically. I'd sit there for an hour trying to do this, it's pretty funny in hindsight.

I seem to remember the CBS website streaming the full series several year ago but I think they didn't have the pilot? So I'd watch the pilot with a friend, and when they liked it, I'd direct them to the CBS website. This was before Amazon Prime and Netflix had it (I want to say it was even before Amazon Prime switched over from calling it Amazon Unbox or at least some time around then).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zesty Mordant posted:

(I later confused the name with Wuthering Heights and Northern Exposure, somehow)

I can see Northern Exposure; TP is like a nightmare/weird dream version of that. Truman kind of looks like Fleischman.

Instead of the moose, there's the log lady.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

it's silly, but I'm hoping they'll call back to Mike and Nadine's fling. him still being heartbroken would be kind of amazing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Finally got to watch The Missing Pieces and really enjoyed it and jotted down some thoughts, I missed any discussion of this stuff previously so let's rock.

-Extended David Bowie scenes: his weird subplot actually works and makes the Evil a more omnipresent threat than something contained to the Twin Peaks area.
-You see nearly every character in the series except for the Hornes
-Truman doesn't feel like the same person at all.
-Pete and Mr. Mibbler arguing about 2x4's is awesome.
-Finally seeing post-Season 2 content is cool but wouldn't have made a good end to the film at all.
-Laura and her mother have a lot of good scenes together, but having them changes the tone from pure horror to more drama.
-Teresa Banks is a real character now.
-Donna and Laura driving from the Roadhouse to the Pink Room in Canada makes the plot more sensible but it's boring.
-There's a Chris Isaac fight scene that goes on forever and isn't very good. It started funny but it was too repetitive to really work, and that's coming from someone who loved the vault scene at the end of season 2.
-I really don't like Cooper talking to Diane in person, even if she's never seen.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Surlaw posted:

Finally got to watch The Missing Pieces and really enjoyed it and jotted down some thoughts, I missed any discussion of this stuff previously so let's rock.

-Extended David Bowie scenes: his weird subplot actually works and makes the Evil a more omnipresent threat than something contained to the Twin Peaks area.

There's plenty of material that I would have loved to see in the film, but the absence of the Jeffries scenes are a real shame. Not only does it shed at least a little bit more light on how the inhabitants of both lodges exist and interact (both with each other and with the "real" world) but it definitely ramps up the threat that the evil of the Black Lodge represents. And you're 100% right, it gives it a creepy omnipresent feeling - even if BOB and the evil of the Black Lodge is really just a representation of "the evil that men do", seeing that it reaches beyond Twin Peaks is a frightening prospect both within the universe of the series/film but in the real world as well.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Just finished Twin Peaks, thought it was a phenomenal series and I'm stoked to watch FWWM now. Just a quick question though - should I watch the fan edit, or the original?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The original and then The Missing Pieces. The new content fills in some gaps and is almost all good stuff but a lot of it is thematically disconnected from the main story and works better as deleted scenes. I haven't watched any fan edits but if they include everything it will take away from the value of focusing the film almost entirely through Laura / Leland's viewpoint.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I was really not a fan of the footage with the Twin Peaks town people other than the ones who interact with the Palmers. It is so strange and pointless seeing them where they are at the beginning of the series. We already knew how they were and it just seemed like hey here they are.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Ed and Norma stuff in the cut footage is the worst. I really loved the Pete and Mibbler argument and while it's got nothing to do with the film it works well as a goofy short.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Akarshi posted:

Just finished Twin Peaks, thought it was a phenomenal series and I'm stoked to watch FWWM now. Just a quick question though - should I watch the fan edit, or the original?

The fan edit. (Don't get me wrong, both editions are great and it's worth watching the original FWWM to see how chaotic and insane it is.) The content of the other townspeople serves to bind all the stories together in ways you didn't think of before and makes Laura's murder like a cosmic injustice that everyone is connected to in a way that even the series didn't manage to; it's uniquely Lynchian film making magic. You would think it would detract from Laura, but it doesn't. You would think the humor would detract from the tragedy, but it doesn't- it only heightens it.

The oft-discussed "Pete and Bank Manager discuss 2x4s" scene, for instance, comes at the very start of Laura's last day and is seemingly disconnected from the narrative revolves around a) the bank manager insisting he wants a 2x4 like back in the old days b) Pete telling him this IS a 2x4 like back in the old days c) the 2x4 is the same, you were just viewing it from the wrong perspective. A pretty telling scene when combined with the opening shot of a TV blowing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I finished the series last night. fan edit next, I guess.

• Locked thread