Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

RE 6 is more of a brawler than a shooter. Guns just soften enemies up so you can get close enough to punch them in the face. Don't play it like RE 4 or 5 because everyone does that and then gets frustrated with the game.

RE4 and RE5 also follow those rules though. Using melee moves in RE5 is way more effective than shooting everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Those red zombies from REmake are insane, and a zombie busted down a door! I don't remember that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's been awhile but can't you just cheese the RE5 Wesker fights by firing an RPG then shooting it when he's doing his Neo impression with it? I did finagle it on Professional with AI naturally and it took forever but someone told me that worked too.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

RE 6 is more of a brawler than a shooter. Guns just soften enemies up so you can get close enough to punch them in the face. Don't play it like RE 4 or 5 because everyone does that and then gets frustrated with the game.

Which is why I think RE 6 would have been better if they just stuck with Sherry and Jake for the entire thing. The dynamic of having an almost purely melee focused character paired with a ranged support one just seemed mesh together the best.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Any tips for re4 mercenaries? Leon seems so weak compared to every other character.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Has anyone had any trouble with the leaderboards for the REmaster? I just got a new PB time but it only displays my old one. I'm already set to auto upload and my account is linked to ResidentEvil.net, but nothing seems to make it refresh.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

incoherent posted:

Those red zombies from REmake are insane, and a zombie busted down a door! I don't remember that.

The REmake was specifically designed to screw with people that mastered the original.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I didn't know about them and i've been murdering all the zombies ive came across

:rip:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Resident Evil 6, final fight against Ustanak.
That was the one where it got dropped in lava and exploded. That was the next to last fight.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

hemale in pain posted:

I didn't know about them and i've been murdering all the zombies ive came across

:rip:

If you can get back to their corpses and burn them within 20-60 minutes or so (depending on difficulty), you should be golden. Also if you popped their heads they don't come back.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
If you are really good, you can get through pretty much the entire mansion while only seeing 2 crimson heads. The one in the hall by the armor key, and the one in the coffin. It takes them a while to reanimate and by then, you should pretty much be done with the mansion.

Also, for some reason, I find Crimson Heads a lot easier to evade. I think it is because they do this giant exaggerated swipe and lunge. It's similar to Forest, he does this giant lunge that almost always ends up whiffing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm too busy freaking the gently caress out to notice.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ManOfTheYear posted:

Any tips for re4 mercenaries? Leon seems so weak compared to every other character.

Yeah, that's a fairly common problem, but his shotgun owns. Break as much stuff as you can for hand grenades, kite the bigger guys, and use handgun headshot -> melee on humanoid enemies when it's available. Leon's game revolves around murdering entire crowds at once, as opposed to Ada/Wesker/Krauser being one-hitter quitters or the HUNK neckbreaker ballet.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Also, for some reason, I find Crimson Heads a lot easier to evade. I think it is because they do this giant exaggerated swipe and lunge. It's similar to Forest, he does this giant lunge that almost always ends up whiffing.

This is the biggest reason not to worry about them. As long as you don't stop moving, even if you're running right toward one, you'll evade them almost every time as they lunge. I just finished playing as both Jill and Chris and killed most zombies and I got bitten by a crimson head maybe once, if at all. You're more likely to get chomped by a regular zombie while trying to avoid them.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Just run behind Wesker and shoot him when he tries to do the 180 kick. If you time it right you can hit him when he does other attacks but he is invincible during the leg sweep so don't stay too close.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I just had the most unfortunate series of events take place in REmake on PS4 as I was trying to get the shotgun with chris and completely forgot I didn't actually have an open inventory slot at the time... So I gave up and will just reload from earlier. :v:

But more importantly, can someone explain the positioning for burning two zombies at once? I swear I had two right next to each other twice but neither of those times did both of them burn.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
It's interesting playing this again on PS4. It's making me remember all of the feelings I had when playing through the original (and also the REmake) but instead of being scared of the zombies/creatures, I'm now more scared of losing ~MY PROGRESS~.

One of the things about getting old, I guess - that feeling of wasted time.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
One time I got straight stunlocked by a Crimson Head though, just doing the normal swipe on me, refusing to grab. Just hitting me with the swipe at the perfect time before I could raise my gun or move.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Overlord K posted:

I just had the most unfortunate series of events take place in REmake on PS4 as I was trying to get the shotgun with chris and completely forgot I didn't actually have an open inventory slot at the time... So I gave up and will just reload from earlier. :v:

But more importantly, can someone explain the positioning for burning two zombies at once? I swear I had two right next to each other twice but neither of those times did both of them burn.

You gotta get those suckers literally right on top of each other.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I feel like I need to vent a little bit and this seems the appropriate venue.

Resident Evil 5 is one of the most offensive wastes of my time I've ever encountered in a video game, which by definition are designed to waste my time. The co-op is entirely broken in single player. Not once did Sheva ever provide any assistance to me; the entire game felt like Inventory Management Simulator 2009, trying to shuffle various guns and ammo between the two characters. I tried to strategize a bit: I upgraded her handgun the entire way and turned her into a healer/packmule. But she wouldn't heal us when we were low; she would instead fire the handgun repeatedly, even if the enemies she was shooting were invulnerable or out of range. She wouldn't ever use grenades, proximity mines, nothing. So I spent time trying to "request" herbs and first aid sprays etc. from her in battle but that would randomly not work, or she would hand me them in the middle of being attacked. It was completely insane.

And Final loving Form Wesker. My god. How many times Sheva would blindly walk into the tentacle attack, fall into the lava, and force me to start the fight over again, I don't know. I know that it took me an hour and a half to kill him. I'm sure I suck, but holy gently caress, what a nightmare. I ran out of ammo twice. I had to sell literally everything in my inventory to buy fire rounds because the game won't sell me ammo for any of the other guns. There is no ammo available anywhere in the final Wesker fight. I don't know if it would've been possible to kill Wesker if I had any less ammo, because he takes hundreds of hits to bring down, repeating the same humdrum attack patterns over and over and over and over again.

The story is dull. The enemies are terrible. The enemies are stupid. It looks pretty, but that's about it.

I wonder if the game is saved by local co-op. I suspect it is a much more fun experience, but enjoyable co-op can't save that dreary, terrible game. I loving hate that game. I am so glad I'm done with it. I have zero interest in any of the New Game+ poo poo or the Mercenaries poo poo or whatever.

This after playing RE4, which is maybe the best game I've ever played in my life. It must be quite a story, the story about what happened between RE4 and RE5 to gently caress RE5 up so badly (and RE6, from what I hear, but I haven't played it yet), and I would like to read about it some day.

OK, I feel much better. Thank you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

beergod posted:

I wonder if the game is saved by local co-op. I suspect it is a much more fun experience, but enjoyable co-op can't save that dreary, terrible game. I loving hate that game. I am so glad I'm done with it. I have zero interest in any of the New Game+ poo poo or the Mercenaries poo poo or whatever.

The game plays much better in co-op but it also sounds like you misunderstood a lot of the gameplay mechanics.

Resident Evil 5 strongly encourages you to use melee attacks. That fight with Wesker in the volcano for example is not about shooting him a hundred times. He has a melee attack QTE that does significantly more damage against him when he exposes his weak point.

Even prior to that he's got literal glowing weak points. He shouldn't take very much ammo at all.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 25, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I love Resident Evil 5. Sheva becomes a lot more conservative if you place her on Cover instead of attack.

Also, if you melee combo someone, you will do a shitload of damage. I think it pretty much kills almost anything in the game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Does REmake on the PS4 have any sort of super easy mode? After the poo poo pile of The Evil Within's difficulty I'm 100% sick of difficulty in horror games even though I love everything else.

el oso posted:

It's interesting playing this again on PS4. It's making me remember all of the feelings I had when playing through the original (and also the REmake) but instead of being scared of the zombies/creatures, I'm now more scared of losing ~MY PROGRESS~.

One of the things about getting old, I guess - that feeling of wasted time.

This worries me

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 25, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Unless you save every single time you get an ink ribbon, REmake shouldn't be that taxing. I think there's enough resources to kill everything if you're not completely stupid as well.

God, I need to get this already but it has a knife only achievement and it feels wrong not getting all the trophies for a game I love so much. :smith:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

RE4 and RE5 also follow those rules though. Using melee moves in RE5 is way more effective than shooting everything.

But every time I see someone play those games, they're playing it like a shooter. I dunno, maybe people are just bad at games and RE 6 is the first game in the series to actively punish you for not using melee enough.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

If you can get back to their corpses and burn them within 20-60 minutes or so (depending on difficulty), you should be golden. Also if you popped their heads they don't come back.

I've not played Resident evil 1 since I was 8 so there's crimson heads in like every corridor now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Does REmake on the PS4 have any sort of super easy mode? After the poo poo pile of The Evil Within's difficulty I'm 100% sick of difficulty in horror games even though I love everything else.

Yes. They added a very easy mode.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Not really a spoiler, but unlockable costumes are selectable from the opening 'once again' menu.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

NotAnArtist posted:

Not really a spoiler, but unlockable costumes are selectable from the opening 'once again' menu.

Did they keep all the ones from the Gamecube version?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

But every time I see someone play those games, they're playing it like a shooter. I dunno, maybe people are just bad at games and RE 6 is the first game in the series to actively punish you for not using melee enough.

They absolutely are playing it wrong, yes. If you watch people playing on high levels, melee is king poo poo.

In RE5, melee moves are significantly more powerful than anything else. Both Chris and Sheva have an instant-kill attack tied to their melee moves which means you can kill every base Ganado-style enemy with 1-2 bullets which also prevents them from spawning parasites. Regular melee attacks are absurdly powerful and some are like magnum rounds in punch form. Many bosses have melee QTEs or melee weaknesses which allows for a lot of low-effort damage.

In Mercenaries Melee gives you additional time in addition to allowing you better control over the enemy spawns. RE4 and RE5 both demand properly melee use from you if you want to get a really high score. Every character in the game has their own unique set of melee moves which are the big thing that defines their play styles.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 25, 2015

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I finished Leon's first chapter of RE6 and really don't like how bulletspongy the enemies are. Shooting enemies in the leg like in 4 and 5 doesn't seem to work and the only reliable way to cause staggers so far seems to be using quickshots, and often Helena just performs her normal melee attack anyway because you have to get REALLY close to get the finishers to work. The window for counters is so tiny I've only managed to pull it off accidentally.

The combat just feels sluggish to be honest. Any tips for making the fame more enjoyable?

Counters are god - they instant kill any zombie carrying a weapon, as well as the otherwise dangerous Bloodshots. (Don't bother with them against unarmed zombies or dogs, though, they're just a waste of stamina in that event.) The trick to them is to ignore the actual counter prompt and watch the enemy - you want to hit melee attack just as they begin to swing / pounce at you. If you wait for the button prompt to appear, you'll miss it almost every time. If you hit melee just before their attack connects, instead, free kill!

And yeah, against things that aren't armed zombies or Bloodshots, just headshot them for the stun and then melee. Use the stomp attack when they're down on the ground if they're still alive. Keep in mind a head stomp is always an instant kill - a body stomp just does moderate damage.

Against targets like zombified BSAA who wear body armor, have high HP, and don't use counter-able attacks, just target a vulnerable spot and let off a quick flurry of fire with a pistol, or a shotgun shell or two. While you can set up a melee instead, it's usually easier to just shoot them to death.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone know if Resident Evil: DS has the classic music, or the weird alternative Director's Cut tracks?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Solomonic posted:

Did they keep all the ones from the Gamecube version?

Yeah, they're all intact.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Convex posted:

Anyone know if Resident Evil: DS has the classic music, or the weird alternative Director's Cut tracks?

It has the original music. Only the Dual Shock version of the Director's Cut uses the new, awful OST, the regular Director's Cut has the original music as well.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
What was the reason most people didn't like RE0, again? I'm guessing we're gonna get that one too now that we have REmaster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

What was the reason most people didn't like RE0, again? I'm guessing we're gonna get that one too now that we have REmaster.

The inventory system is genuinely bad. It removed item boxes in favor of dropping and picking up items but that just make things more tedious, not more interesting. It also makes the level design more tedious.

The two-character system is a genuine waste and barely matters. It isn't even a waste in the RE5/6 "play this co-op" way, it's just not well executed.

The story is sort of pointless and silly. I mean it's Resident Evil so that goes without saying but it is extremely pointless and silly and basically adds nothing to either the characters or the overarching plot. It just feels sort of there.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Capcom has already admitted by accident that we're going to get RE0 Remaster.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Inventory system is awful. Because you have two characters you can switch between, they thought that you'd be able to carry more items so they removed item boxes. Any items you don't have room for, you have to leave on the floor and any items you don't want to use anymore you also have to drop on the floor. Where this all falls apart is that many items take up two inventory slots for some reason, especially the hookshot and the hookshot in particular is used once in the beginning of the game and then only used again multiple times in the late midgame and it's quite an annoying backtrack to pick up the hookshot just to progress.

The story's also kind of unnecessary too and didn't need to be told. It does have Wesker and Birkin just watching the madness of a dead person turned into an anime character via the power of leeches through CCTV monitors though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Billy Coen is pretty cool, which means Capcom promptly forgot all about him after the game was done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm considering buying The Evil Within since it's on the steam weekend sale - If I like Resident Evil in all its various iterations, will I probably like that?