Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CactusWeasle posted:

That sounds awesome, except the part about Max Chilton

Yeah in all seriousness Carlin is a good operation and them running a full-time Indycar team would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

gret posted:

Chilton has a better racing resume than half the field in IndyCars.

I'd have a good record with a car too if I drove it at a safe speed miles away from everyone else

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Spaced God posted:

I'd have a good record with a car too if I drove it at a safe speed miles away from everyone else

Which already puts him ahead of drivers like Saavedra. And please do not insult multi-time GP2 race winner Max Chilton.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

gret posted:

:thejoke:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dyson is running the car and Chilton is absolutely better than the other 17 year old rich kids that are a lot/most of the field in Lights. I could absolutely see him winning a race.

Big cars? Eh. I guess if Huerta can win anything is possible.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
my gran could have won a race last year in indy lights

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

chilton literally never crashed, you could do much worse

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

be nice wicka posted:

chilton literally never crashed, you could do much worse

2014 Canada and I think in Spa or another race

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Spaced God posted:

2014 Canada and I think in Spa or another race

bianchi's fault

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Max caused Pastor to crash in Monaco in 2013, but it doesn't count because Pastor.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

gret posted:

He's a real talent.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Max ChiltOwn.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Was/Is Carlin ever aiming at fielding an F1 team?

I'm a tad bit curious if this will become a trend considering how F1 is becoming increasingly cost-prohibitive for teams over across the pond.

Also I recall reading that "Euro MotorSport" is allegedly interesting in jumping into lights. (Yes, the old CART team).

This is good news regardless. The more new teams we can get involved? The better.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think they looked at it in the intake that eventually gave us Good Lotus, The Karun and Bruno show and From Russia with Love but decided that would be suicide.

I think they've been proven right there.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

I think they looked at it in the intake that eventually gave us Good Lotus, The Karun and Bruno show and From Russia with Love but decided that would be suicide.

I think they've been proven right there.

It was originally Wirth's Magical Computer Team brought to you by Richard Branson, but yeah. I'd imagine Indy is a slightly better option, but the real beneficiary are sports cars.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

congrats to future 500 winner Max Chilton.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't enthusiastic when Honda used Wirth's company to design their aerokits.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Human Grand Prix posted:

I wasn't enthusiastic when Honda used Wirth's company to design their aerokits.

Those Acura's/Now HPD's in LMP2 fair pretty well. Just keep Wirth away from F1 and they might be a bit more competent.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also I recall reading that "Euro MotorSport" is allegedly interesting in jumping into lights. (Yes, the old CART team).

they have an interesting wikipedia page because they seem to have sold out their car on a race by race basis and ended up with like ten drivers in their car over the course of a year

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Uh was that the team run by F1 reject and Inaugural F3000 Champion Christian Danner? Because if so lol.

Also;

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 23, 2015

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

It was originally Wirth's Magical Computer Team brought to you by Richard Branson, but yeah. I'd imagine Indy is a slightly better option, but the real beneficiary are sports cars.

Yeah but I didn't have a pithy name for that. Should have used yours.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Let's talk about Team Penske

Who would be the best driver to have ever run for RP?

Gotta be Rocket Rick or Al Sr. right?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Best outing by Andrea Moda though it's Euromotorsport but that's not saying much for a poo poo team in CART in the early 90s anyway.

e: Also this wasn't run by Danner, it was started by Antonio Ferrari. Are you thinking of poo poo CART driver Eric Bachelart since he started and still has Conquest Racing?

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 24, 2015

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

the pole speed in these races was 230+

cart had lots of very lovely pay drivers in the 90s, they just had so many cars that they either DNQd a few of them or started 32 cars

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Best outing by Andrea Moda though it's Euromotorsport but that's not saying much for a poo poo team in CART in the early 90s anyway.

e: Also this wasn't run by Danner, it was started by Antonio Ferrari. Are you thinking of poo poo CART driver Eric Bachelart since he started and still has Conquest Racing?

Is Antonio Ferrari indeed related to Ferrari?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

Is Antonio Ferrari indeed related to Ferrari?

Don't know. Not directly related at least.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BMB5150 posted:

Yeah sorry I was thinking of Project Indy :X

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The mayor's new Indy ride?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC4nf3mlF1Q

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Just came across this doom and gloom, uh...

quote:

There were a lot of IndyCar drivers on hand for the Rolex 24 at Daytona, which was won Sunday by Chip Ganassi Racing with Scott Dixon in the saddle at the finish.
In addition to Dixon, James Hinchcliffe, Tony Kanaan, Sebastien Bourdais, Charlie Kimball, Graham Rahal, Simon Pagenaud, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Jack Hawksworth, Sage Karam and Townsend Bell were all in cars and I hope they enjoyed their experience because I don't know how much longer the Verizon IndyCar Series is going to exist.
At some point in the not-too-distant future, they might have to find other employment.
A friend send me an email Sunday afternoon that contained this information: "I recently read that at least one major IndyCar sponsor isn't with the series this year and two are on their last year and won't renew because of the short season. If that isn't a wake-up call, then what the hell is Miles waiting for?"
"Miles" of course, is Mark Miles, the CEO of Hulman and Co. The IndyCar series is one of that corporation's businesses. There are others he oversees, like the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and a firm that manufactures most of the baking powder used in the United States. He has a big job. The real question, of course, is whether he and the board of directors no longer dominated by the heirs of Tony Hulman really care all that much about the series and races in places other than Indianapolis, like Toronto.
This is nothing new, by the way. Hulman bought the Indianapolis Motor Speedway at the end of World War II in order to keep one race going: the Indianapolis 500. Of course, to have the Indianapolis 500 you had to have Indy cars, so he had an interest (and was instrumental in the establishment of the U.S. Auto Club in 1956 after the AAA stopped sanctioning racing).
But his interest was mainly to ensure there would be enough cars around to race at his track every May. It was just business. Maybe the times and the business have changed.
When Miles was hired, he took a very businesslike approach. He discovered there was a small number of Indy car fans who did an awful lot of talking. They made a lot of noise. When it came to showing up at the races, though, not many did. And they weren't watching on television either. The U.S. ratings were abysmal.
So he commissioned a study to find out how he could change this around. One of the suggestions was that the series stop racing as of Labour Day weekend each year because the NFL, college football and the NASCAR Chase for the Championship were too much competition for it in the fall.
The series has stopped racing as of Labour Day weekend for two years now and people still aren't going to the races and the TV numbers are so small they’re embarrassing. The chattering class, though, is convinced that this ”short season” was a huge mistake - and they might be right. What I can't understand, though, is their expectation that people who won't go to a race in August will suddenly go to one in October. They didn't before - which is one of the reasons the consultants concluded the competition was too stiff and that it was better to try a different approach. They are now probably out of suggestions.
As a result, it appears that the end might not be that far off. You can’t keep kicking a dead horse. The 100th year of the Indianapolis 500 will be 2016. I think it will be shortly after that when things will start to happen.
There have been suggestions recently that, if adopted, could pretty much put IndyCar out of its misery but still protect the one race and one race track that people still seem to care about. (Do you really think people still care about the Honda Indy? This is a metropolitan region of between 4 and 5 million people and how many of them show up for that race these days? Twenty thousand? The worst part is that the rest don’t appear to even know it’s on. But I digress.)
The idea would be to have big money paid out on the basis of qualifying positions and the results of two races at Indianapolis every May. The race on the road course in mid-May would be followed two weeks later by the Indianapolis 500. The Speedway would pull out all the stops to attract sufficient sponsorship/prize money to make entering worthwhile. Besides the one-off entries, sports car teams - maybe even NASCAR teams - could run satellite operations to make it happen. I think it’s worth looking into.
Trying to attract sponsorship to run a car in the IndyCar series these days is like pulling teeth. Guys like Calgary’s Ric Peterson are paying out of their own pocket to support a team (okay, it comes from his trucking company but it's the same thing). How many wealthy people like him are around?
And face it, friends: if it wasn't for Roger Penske, whose first love is Indy car racing, and Chip Ganassi and Michael Andretti, who raced Indy cars and are loyal, there would not be any IndyCar anyway.
Those are cold, hard facts. I adore Indy car racing but there’s a time for every purpose and time passes. There is little or no value in Indy car racing any more - other than at Indianapolis. So maybe a "season" built solely around Indy in May would not be such a bad idea.

http://www.thestar.com/autos/2015/01/25/indycar-on-borrowed-time-tsn-sportsnet-ignore-daytona.html?app=noRedirect

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Honestly, I see a huge downturn of motorsports within the next 10 years, so it would just be going with the trend.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in all honesty I expect to see the death of "major" motorsport in my lifetime.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

My friend sent me an email about a sponsor not renewing, here's a huge trackforum post wrapped in faux concern.

Jesus Christ, does that guy get paid to write? That seriously might be the worst racing article I've read since the split.

E: lol every indycar article he writes is just him pouting about something and using someone else's quotes to try to spin a CATASTROPHE story. He's an idiot with a newspaper blog and bad ideas.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 26, 2015

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And Indycar is still fielding more cars every week than F1 can muster, admittedly with a different cost base and fewer actual teams.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

My friend sent me an email about a sponsor not renewing, here's a huge trackforum post wrapped in faux concern.

Jesus Christ, does that guy get paid to write? That seriously might be the worst racing article I've read since the split.

E: lol every indycar article he writes is just him pouting about something and using someone else's quotes to try to spin a CATASTROPHE story. He's an idiot with a newspaper blog and bad ideas.

Yeah I was a tad bit concerned because he wrote for a legitimate newspaper. Some people have a weird ave to grind it seems.

My sincere honest belief if the sport was anywhere near dying? Tony George, Kevin Kalkhoven, Michael Andretti, Chip Ganassi, and Roger Penske would probably find a way to buy it and "Save it".

I don't know if it' is indeed say, Verizon going "Hey, extend the season to how normally is or we're loving out", but I'm sure Miles would change his tune about things and not gently caress around if this were the case.

As for his suggestion about the Indy 500? I don't think anyone in the NASCAR paddock would seriously be game for running an IndyCar team. Roush, Henrdrick, Childress Gibbs and Haas seem happy in NASCAR, and I don't think would bother with the effort. I recall the Wood Bros. being very complimentary of the Indy 500, and I think they'd be your lone interest in terms of doing such a thing. (for a one-off)

(The Wood Bros. loving own, and this is to never be disputed. Ever). Even then I don't think they would seriously consider it being that they're a fairly small team in NASCAR, so you can rule them out.

I would support, however making the Indy 500 a bigger more "open" event in some regards, but I'm unsure how that would mess with the current series. Like it would be cool if we were in the "Bring what you got"-era of the sport in some aspects, but it doesn't really seem to be all that feasible in the year 2015.

e: Also LOL at the reasoning at the claim that NASCAR running "The Chase" had anything to do with IndyCar ending at Labor Day. I really doubt that.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 26, 2015

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I don't think IndyCar is going to die any time soon since it's a vanity project, and those tend to last well beyond their expiration dates, but I don't see anything that tells me it's poised for any significant growth any time soon. It's got a solid niche, and it should be sustainable barring any stupid decisions.

EDIT - just to clarify I don't mean "vanity project" as an insult

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

in all honesty I expect to see the death of "major" motorsport in my lifetime.

at some point in our lives they will have to stop using internal combustion engines, the series that survive will be the ones that don't make a huge fuss and just get on with it

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bhester posted:

I don't think IndyCar is going to die any time soon since it's a vanity project, and those tend to last well beyond their expiration dates, but I don't see anything that tells me it's poised for any significant growth any time soon. It's got a solid niche, and it should be sustainable barring any stupid decisions.

EDIT - just to clarify I don't mean "vanity project" as an insult

Right, I don't think anyone here or anywhere is pretending it's ever going to be 1994 again.

I don't think the sport is as "toxic" as it once was so I don't think we'll see any drastic exits in the way we saw Toyota, and several stars of the sport did back in the 2000's.

I think we'll see the ladder system continue to improve, more events like "New Orleans" being created, a few new teams here and there, and potentially? A new engine manufacturer or two. (I think it's going to be Nissan Cosworth). I also believe the "bleeding" has stopped and we won't see guys that were destined for Indy Car take the NASCAR route as often.

I don't think we'll ever see high ratings for the Indy 500 or any other races of the series I do think it can grow it's niche audience a bit though with some promotion. While I believe the american public has begun to move on from auto racing as a whole, I would imagine there has to be a group of people here or there that haven't given the sport a try just purely because they've never heard of the sport.

When I'm getting responses like this:

"I'm an IndyCar fan"
""Oh...is that like NASCAR?"

You have some problems on the PR front.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

at some point in our lives they will have to stop using internal combustion engines, the series that survive will be the ones that don't make a huge fuss and just get on with it

it's not that, it's more the whole "people don't give a poo poo about cars anymore" thing. NASCAR's audience is getting older and older and they clearly have no freaking clue how to lure young fans other than maybe having Tony run more people over

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

it's not that, it's more the whole "people don't give a poo poo about cars anymore" thing. NASCAR's audience is getting older and older and they clearly have no freaking clue how to lure young fans other than maybe having Tony run more people over

Jumps. Speed Arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

George Zimmer posted:

Honestly, I see a huge downturn of motorsports within the next 10 years, so it would just be going with the trend.

this is why im not really worried. the american motorsports landscape is gonna have a hell of a reset when the bottom falls out of NASCAR

• Locked thread