Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I prefer reference coolers in my wooden htpc case by...nmedia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Urby posted:

Umm, question from someone without too much GPU knowledge, but what happened to the Asus 780 ti UCII cards. I bought one a while back for around $700(AUS) and recently have been wanting to get a second one to SLI with. Only issue is, I can't find a single PC shop that stocks them. And looking on Ebay. I only see one being sold for $1200.

So I guess my question is... what happened to the card market-wise and also, does anyone know where I can obtain one for a reasonable price?

Best chance is ebay. I see them for under 400 nowadays

I'd try us ebay site and ask for people to ship it to australia? I'm not sure why you'd see one. Unless you are just looking for one specific card. You can use any 780ti

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 26, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

The Lord Bude posted:

The ML07B is not one of the low airflow cases I was talking about. It is an incredibly well engineered case that manages pretty drat good cooling - it has 3x120mm fan slots, although you have to supplthem yourself - combined with the small dimensions that makes for some serious airflow. In addition, the intake for a non reference graphics card is hard up against two of the fan vents, creating almost perfect conditions for a non reference cooled graphics card. You'd be shooting yourself in the foot buying a reference design card.

Also - the ML07B is virtually identical in layout to the RVZ01, other than cosmetic differences, they are the same case - Except the RVZ01 comes with two of the three fans preinstalled, and it comes with dust filtering for all the intakes, something you can't get on the ML07B.

The RVZ01 looks too Alienware-y for my tastes, hence the ML07B.

There's still nowhere for that exhaust on a non-reference board to go other than inside the case. There are no fans pushing air around inside the case, so I'd rather either stick an Nvidia reference design in there so that it acts like my power supply: Sucks air in, then vents it directly back outside.

I suppose some of this will become moot when the RVZ02B comes out later this year. I can actually tolerate the new case's design, assuming they bring the vent panels back flush with the rest of the sheet metal.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Some analysis about the 970 memory issue by AnandTech.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Urby posted:

Umm, question from someone without too much GPU knowledge, but what happened to the Asus 780 ti UCII cards. I bought one a while back for around $700(AUS) and recently have been wanting to get a second one to SLI with. Only issue is, I can't find a single PC shop that stocks them. And looking on Ebay. I only see one being sold for $1200.

So I guess my question is... what happened to the card market-wise and also, does anyone know where I can obtain one for a reasonable price?

I think you meant DCII.
I use an e-shop that is in Italy and I think only sends to the Italian country unfortunately, I paid mine 550 euros at the time.
You should be able to find it on Amazon and have it delivered within a week.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I feel pretty pissed about that 970 bug. I pay all that money because everyone's like "Oh it's a great card, probably the best for your value on the market!" and then it turns out they sold me a card that can't even use all its VRAM. What a loving rip-off.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

SunAndSpring posted:

I feel pretty pissed about that 970 bug. I pay all that money because everyone's like "Oh it's a great card, probably the best for your value on the market!" and then it turns out they sold me a card that can't even use all its VRAM. What a loving rip-off.

It's still a great card, probably the best for your value on the market.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

People seem to be feeling the effects of it mostly in synthetic benchmarks and windowed mode games.

Perhaps this is an issue in conflict with eg. DWM reserved memory. Any truth to this or am I blowing smoke out of my rear end?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

It can use all the VRAM, learn to read.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Is anyone else really surprised that Nvidia did something shady?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

SunAndSpring posted:

Even after reading the Anandtech article that HalloKitty linked I still want a pair of them for SLI.

How come the EVGA is non-competitive in the 970s? I've always been a fan of their cards. I suppose I could go with the Asus though. I don't have an extra space between my PCI-E slots though, is that going to be a problem?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Is anyone else really surprised that Nvidia did something shady?

I'm never surprised when {major corporation} does something shady. I feel like this forum would absolutely crucify AMD if it was them instead of nvidia though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SunAndSpring posted:

GIMME FREE STUFFS

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fletcher posted:

Even after reading the Anandtech article that HalloKitty linked I still want a pair of them for SLI.

How come the EVGA is non-competitive in the 970s? I've always been a fan of their cards. I suppose I could go with the Asus though. I don't have an extra space between my PCI-E slots though, is that going to be a problem?

Because it's 1% louder and 1% hotter than all the rest. People are retarded when it comes to some things apparently. So far every single person in this thread that has an EVGA 970 loves theirs.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I'll pay shipping if you don't want the card.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I really wonder about any performance differences nVidia saw during R&D in comparing what the 970 ended up being to a hypothetical 970 that disabled the 2nd memory controller as well in the partially-disabled ROP and leaving it as a 3.5GiB card. I'm really curious whether this two-segment memory space and the extra complexity associated with utilizing it really showed a marked performance boost, or whether it was primarily a marketing exercise so they can call it a 4GB card to appease the people who've gotten on nVidia's case about VRAM size.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

beejay posted:

I'm never surprised when {major corporation} does something shady. I feel like this forum would absolutely crucify AMD if it was them instead of nvidia though.

Without a doubt, yeah.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

GokieKS posted:

I really wonder about any performance differences nVidia saw during R&D in comparing what the 970 ended up being to a hypothetical 970 that disabled the 2nd memory controller as well in the partially-disabled ROP and leaving it as a 3.5GiB card. I'm really curious whether this two-segment memory space and the extra complexity associated with utilizing it really showed a marked performance boost, or whether it was primarily a marketing exercise so they can call it a 4GB card to appease the people who've gotten on nVidia's case about VRAM size.

I think you nailed it with the second one. I think it's 100% a marketing exercise because the second controller strikes me as an afterthought.

"Hey this card is great, but can we make it 4GB instead of 3.5? I know this card's supposed to be sent out to manufacturing in like 3 weeks, but [insert high level management stupid moron reasoning here]" and some engineer's gotta shoehorn the extra memory on there without actually costing nvidia anything from the bottom line.

beejay posted:

I've been reading the GPU thread since the beginning and I think everyone here is pretty much as brand agnostic as they can be, and just favor price/performance. I know everyone was super stoked about the 29x video cards and aside from the cooler noise issues everyone embraced it as a great (if power hungry) card.

I get wanting the little guy to succeed and painting Nvidia as some evil huge corporation (because they are), but if I'm in the market for a video card, I will go with the card with the best performance, full stop. It just happens to have been Nvidia this time.

Regarding the people who pull the reference cooler off and then use waterblocks.. I am that edge case. I'm an idiot who hates money and likes a completely silent computer, and EVGA has a history of being easy to work with when you pull their coolers off and then want to RMA them, which is why I went with them.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
The missing ROPs leaves a bit of a sour taste. Surely someone from Nvidia would've seen all the "970 has the same amount of ROPs as the 980" articles out there and realised that something wasn't right. Chances are, the missing 500mb won't affect me on 1080p for the foreseeable future but wouldn't the VRAM segmentation hurt someone if they bought 2 970s to run them in SLI on 1440p or 4k?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

beejay posted:

I feel like people are a unduly lenient to NVIDIA all over the internet, to be honest, when they've done plenty of questionable things; such as trying to push their own product instead of using standards: PhysX, Gameworks, G-SYNC (no reason they can't now also support VESA Adaptive Sync) etc.

But competition is a good thing, and the fact we only have two real graphics vendors in the high end is limited, but at least it's a better situation than the high end CPU market, eh?

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 26, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
This is disgusting! An absolute OUTRAGE! Nvidia has lied to us all, the press and consumers alike! We must demand action! We must demand justice! We must demand a free upgrade to 980s for everyone who bought a 970!

Come on baby free stuff! :signings:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

beejay posted:

I don't know about the rest of this forum, but I let AMD have it with their rebrand poo poo from 280X on down. If I wanted a 7970, I'd have bought one!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't know about the rest of this forum, but I let AMD have it with their rebrand poo poo from 280X on down. If I wanted a 7970, I'd have bought one!

Is this parody? NVIDIA have rebranded cards before, I seem to recall one card being named 3 different times, and I remember one card name possibly meaning one of 3 configurations.

Let's not ever try to pretend one has better naming than the other.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

veedubfreak posted:

Because it's 1% louder and 1% hotter than all the rest. People are retarded when it comes to some things apparently. So far every single person in this thread that has an EVGA 970 loves theirs.

EVGA 970 ACX 1.0 owner reporting in. This is the card that has the misaligned heatpipe issue and my card still never crests 60 degrees under load.

P.S. My gaming performance was great before I learned about the 970 bug and guess what, it's still phenomenal afterwards! Some people really freak out over minor things.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

fletcher posted:

The ACX cooler is better than stock, but other companies' coolers are better than ACX. That's the long and short of it. The ACX could be better than it is, but it's re-used from the 780/780 Ti/Titan layout whereas the 970 is based on the 760/770/680 layout. The 760 layout also had the ACX cooler as a sub-average performer. The problem is that the GPU die is in a different place on each layout, and not all of the cooler's heatpipes actually make contact with the die on the 970.

The 960 uses a different chip and layout altogether, and the ACX 960 performs pretty much totally in line with everyone else's. The 980 typically doesn't re-use a PCB, rather going reference so it can have its 3 displayports, so the chip position better matches the 780 etc.

It's not that it's not good. It's just that better is available for the same price.

Ragingsheep posted:

The missing ROPs leaves a bit of a sour taste. Surely someone from Nvidia would've seen all the "970 has the same amount of ROPs as the 980" articles out there and realised that something wasn't right. Chances are, the missing 500mb won't affect me on 1080p for the foreseeable future but wouldn't the VRAM segmentation hurt someone if they bought 2 970s to run them in SLI on 1440p or 4k?

TechReport had a piece on it earlier. The ROPs are actually there, and they actually do some work. It's just that they don't do pixel fill. The extra 8 ROPS only contribute to MSAA sampling.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 27, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Replaced my EVGA ACX 2.0 card with the MSI Gaming card more because I was upset with the way they were handling it than being unhappy with the card itself. Noise was basically unchanged (I had EVGA's newer BIOS which does park the fans at idle) but temps dropped a good 10-12 degrees under load.

The cards are the same price (actually the MSI was $5 cheaper when I bought it) so there is no reason to buy the EVGA card which is objectively worse. On the other hand, if there's a price difference or the other cards aren't in stock, buying the EVGA card isn't the end of the world either. No one should be recommending it though, and recommending against it in favour of the other brands just makes sense.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

TechReport had a piece on it earlier. The ROPs are actually there, and they actually do some work. It's just that they don't do pixel fill. The extra 8 ROPS only contribute to MSAA sampling.

According to Anand, the initial reviews and the Nvidia press briefing doc all said that the 970 had the same number (64) of ROPs as the 980. As it turned out, there was a mix-up internally from Nvidia and the 970 only has 56 ROPs.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Ah. Heck. Well, then, apparently even the guy who caught stuff on the 970 nobody else did didn't catch this, either.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Has anyone tried the Accelero Hybrid II? I'd like to quiet down my GTX 680 at both idle and load and hopefully be able to use it later for a GTX 970 or even beyond.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

necrobobsledder posted:

Has anyone tried the Accelero Hybrid II? I'd like to quiet down my GTX 680 at both idle and load and hopefully be able to use it later for a GTX 970 or even beyond.

I considered it but put an NZXT Kraken G10, Corsair H55, and Noctua fan on mine instead. I fuckin' love it. I've found that I don't need any VRM or RAM heatsinks, either - the direct airflow from the G10's fan keeps those components plenty cool. This is a reference PCB - YMMV on other boards/designs.

Going DIY was mostly for cost and clearance reasons, though - discounted like that, and with the design revisions of the second version, the Accellero kit is a good deal that I'd go with instead if I were doing it again.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 27, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HalloKitty posted:

Is this parody? NVIDIA have rebranded cards before, I seem to recall one card being named 3 different times, and I remember one card name possibly meaning one of 3 configurations.

Let's not ever try to pretend one has better naming than the other.

No, it's not parody. If anything, it would have been satire, if I hadn't meant it genuinely. If I wanted a 7950, I would have bought one, and not a 280, because the only thing a 280 offered was a fresh coat of paint. Just the same as the 280X was a rebranded 7970.

Rebranding is lovely all around.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

It's true he didn't catch that one but in the end it wouldn't have mattered anyways. As mentioned in both articles the pixel fill rate is still bound by the reduced number of SMs more than the corrected, lower number of ROPs. In the end the only thing that matters is the VRAM issue caused by the shared crossbar link for the slowest 512MB.

Enzenx fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 27, 2015

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I went to play Far Cry 4 for the first time tonight on my 970 and during the Ubisoft/Nvidia screens I heard a terrible, almost grinding noise coming out of my box followed by what I assume was coil whine. Does the grinding noise generally come before coil whine? I'm still within my exchange time with Newegg, would it be worth it to play card lottery again or move up to the 980 based on the new 970 news?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

suddenlyissoon posted:

I went to play Far Cry 4 for the first time tonight on my 970 and during the Ubisoft/Nvidia screens I heard a terrible, almost grinding noise coming out of my box followed by what I assume was coil whine. Does the grinding noise generally come before coil whine? I'm still within my exchange time with Newegg, would it be worth it to play card lottery again or move up to the 980 based on the new 970 news?

Ehhh, the 980 isn't really worth the extra $200-ish. Remember, the cards we were ohhing and ahhing over when reviews first came out had the same issue, if they were good enough before they are still good enough now. I would look at a return or exchange with newegg, that grinding sound strikes me as ominous and coil whine sucks. Just check wires before hand to see if one got caught in the fans or something.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, the 980 isn't really worth the extra $200-ish. Remember, the cards we were ohhing and ahhing over when reviews first came out had the same issue, if they were good enough before they are still good enough now. I would look at a return or exchange with newegg, that grinding sound strikes me as ominous and coil whine sucks. Just check wires before hand to see if one got caught in the fans or something.

I actually neglected to post it because I got tired of typing on my iPad but this is before the fans even start!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Brad Wardell explains the difference between DX11 and DX12 like you're a five-year-old.

http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/460524/DirectX_11_vs_DirectX_12_oversimplified

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

I actually neglected to post it because I got tired of typing on my iPad but this is before the fans even start!

Can you reproduce that noise?
If it happens again try touching the card very gently with a fingertip, sounds like resonance vibrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Brad Wardell explains the difference between DX11 and DX12 like you're a five-year-old.

http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/460524/DirectX_11_vs_DirectX_12_oversimplified

Brad Wardell posted:

Cloud computing is, ironically, going to be the biggest beneficiary of DirectX 12. That sounds unintuitive but the fact is, there’s nothing stopping a DirectX 12 enabled machine from fully running VMs on these video cards. Ask your IT manager which they’d rather do? Pop in a new video card or replace the whole box.
I am almost entirely certain there are in fact a lot of things stopping you from running entire VMs on GPUs, unless I'm misunderstanding what he's talking about

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The RVZ01 looks too Alienware-y for my tastes, hence the ML07B.

There's still nowhere for that exhaust on a non-reference board to go other than inside the case. There are no fans pushing air around inside the case, so I'd rather either stick an Nvidia reference design in there so that it acts like my power supply: Sucks air in, then vents it directly back outside.

I suppose some of this will become moot when the RVZ02B comes out later this year. I can actually tolerate the new case's design, assuming they bring the vent panels back flush with the rest of the sheet metal.

It doesn't need rear exhaust fans, because it's such a tiny interior that having 2-3 120mm intake fans will push air out the vents. I'm confident that a non blower design would be cooler and quieter in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I am almost entirely certain there are in fact a lot of things stopping you from running entire VMs on GPUs, unless I'm misunderstanding what he's talking about

I don't have any idea. GPUs do one thing and do it well; you can't magically make them do what CPUs do. The closest thing I can think of that actually does what he's talking about is the Xeon Phi, which has nothing to do with graphics and is essentially a bunch of cheap CPU cores shoved into a PCIe card. None of this has anything to do with cloud computing at all.