Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, I loved the Outbreak games but they didn't do too well and it's mostly because they were released on a console that had total dogshit online infrastructure. They'd probably have done amazingly well HDified up on PS3 and 360 with their better online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pesmerga posted:

My god, it's like the theme for the world's saddest circus clown.

This is the version they stuck on PSN, it's seriously tragic. Like I know most people don't want to replay that game these days, but I do in fact still enjoy it a lot and the new soundtrack just completely ruins the atmosphere even outside of this track. I tried to play it last year and I just didn't enjoy it that much and I couldn't put my finger on why until I reached the guardhouse where I noticed they replaced the awesome Plant 42 music with something that sounds like a cat walking on a piano. Like the whole soundtrack is complete garbage, that track is at least funny in its awfulness, the rest is just depressing.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Hakkesshu posted:

This is the version they stuck on PSN, it's seriously tragic. Like I know most people don't want to replay that game these days, but I do in fact still enjoy it a lot and the new soundtrack just completely ruins the atmosphere even outside of this track. I tried to play it last year and I just didn't enjoy it that much and I couldn't put my finger on why until I reached the guardhouse where I noticed they replaced the awesome Plant 42 music with something that sounds like a cat walking on a piano. Like the whole soundtrack is complete garbage, that track is at least funny in its awfulness, the rest is just depressing.

Didn't the composer get outed for having the vast majority of his work ghostwritten for him? My theory is that he was starting to lose his hearing or had lost it, figured he'd try to do the Dual Shock score on his own, and then said "gently caress it" for the rest of his career.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

If PSN is your only way to play the classic game you might be thrilled to hear that you can get the regular Director's Cut with the original soundtrack on both the japanese and european PSN store. Only the US got the screwed up version for whatever reason. (While making no mention of it being the Dual Shock release anywhere on the store page.)

I should mention though that the european version runs a lot slower due to the PAL conversion. Since you're familiar with the game already, you might want to go for the japanese version then, VA is still english and you get the uncensored intro.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Er, I'm European and that's the version I bought and it's the lovely one :raise:

I don't know if they replaced it or something then.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Er, I'm European and that's the version I bought and it's the lovely one :raise:

I don't know if they replaced it or something then.

That's weird, maybe it differs from country to country? Or they did change it. At least here in Germany I know they offered the US NTSC releases of RE2 and 3 and the UK PAL release of the DC. (The Dual Shock version was never released in Europe.)

The japanese PSN release is definitly the regular DC though, that's the one I bought and it's like 5 bucks.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Hakkesshu posted:

I actually like some of the new tracks but a lot of them are horrible

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

John Luebke posted:

I should mention though that the european version runs a lot slower due to the PAL conversion. Since you're familiar with the game already, you might want to go for the japanese version then, VA is still english and you get the uncensored intro.

Isn't the Japanese version ridiculously easy, though?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah, I loved the Outbreak games but they didn't do too well and it's mostly because they were released on a console that had total dogshit online infrastructure. They'd probably have done amazingly well HDified up on PS3 and 360 with their better online.

It's funny. The first Outbreak sold really well, but they put no real thought into how you'd have to design levels for an online game when you can't coordinate with the other players. "The Hive" in particular is designed to separate the group and kill it off one by one, since you can't tell other teammates which floor to take the elevators to. The second Outbreak is a huge improvement all the way across the board, in any way you care to name except for voice chat, but by then the word of mouth about the first one had gotten around and that killed it.

Capcom reportedly has at least ten more Outbreak-style scenarios somewhere in the design stage, since there's data for a "File #3" on the File #2 disc, but File #2 tanked so hard that it killed the series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The best thing about Outbreak was that when they released it in Europe the PS2 broadband adaptor hadn't been released here yet, so Capcom just removed the ability to play it online. :effort:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
On the other hand it did have a fantastic intro and memorable music.

I'm imagining a quasi-MMO with perma death set in Raccoon City now, haha.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Castor Poe posted:

Isn't the Japanese version ridiculously easy, though?

The original japanese release was a lot easier than the original US release.

However the Director's Cut's "Original" mode is based on the original japanese difficulty in all versions. "Arranged" mode is the same across all regions too.

The american Dual Shock version is slightly harder again, but nowhere near as hard as the first US release.

Anyway, you want the regular DC with the old soundtrack? They're all the same, as far as difficulty goes.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

How is the original Resident Evil: Revelations? Worth playing?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you can get it for cheap it's a lot of fun. Raid mode is like a semi-Diablo thing and has a ton of replay value.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If I still have a way to play REremake is there any reason to buy it again?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Better graphics, basically.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Len posted:

If I still have a way to play REremake is there any reason to buy it again?

If you really hate tank controls or not playing in widescreen, but otherwise it's the same game looking nicer.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Why is the remake knife so bad? Code Veronica knife is so good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Little Mac posted:

Why is the remake knife so bad? Code Veronica knife is so good.

Knife wasn't good until Code Veronica. Like every review of Code Veronica was almost mandated to include a blurb that said "Holy poo poo the knife isn't a trash item anymore!"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NotAnArtist posted:

How is the original Resident Evil: Revelations? Worth playing?

Top 3 RE title for me.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I think Revelations is totally worth playing but maybe not quite worth $50 unless you've got a buddy you can rock Raid mode with. It's a steal on sale though!

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It seems like they're pushing the holy hell out of revelations 2. I see tons of garbage about it on facebook all the time.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Full Battle Rattle posted:

It seems like they're pushing the holy hell out of revelations 2. I see tons of garbage about it on facebook all the time.

Counter point: I haven't seen as single ad and I'm worried they're setting it up to fail.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Raid Mode walkthrough footage from Capcom for Rev 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvIZOrSNVGg

Big details:

No online for raid mode until all 4 episodes have been released
"Active skills" instead of grenades that seem to just be grenades (ice grenade, fire grenade... so elemental damage)
Character builds with skillpoints and stuff with passive/active skills from leveling up.
It costs in-game currency to play certain stages as to discourage grinding or something. Don't know what's up with that.
Gesture system from Lost Planet 2 is back!

edit:
its literally the gestures from lost planet 2
yesssssssssssss

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 27, 2015

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

God drat, that looks like an amazing mashup of the best parts of RE6 and Revelations, controls-wise.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The combat looks a wee bit anaemic to me. I hope there are more melee options than just a roundhouse kick and ground knife stab.

Something closer to what they had in RE5 Mercs Reunion would be perfect, lots of melee options, lots of characters, weapons that pack a punch and are satisfying to use and some totally over the top costumes.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

That stage looks like the first one from Jake & Sherry's from RE6. E: Oh good the guy doing the interview pointed it out too. I hope they've got some maps from the classic games too, that'd be sick to take Barry back into the mansion to take down everything single-handed.

Geight fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 27, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Geight posted:

That stage looks like the first one from Jake & Sherry's from RE6. E: Oh good the guy doing the interview pointed it out too. I hope they've got some maps from the classic games too, that'd be sick to take Barry back into the mansion to take down everything single-handed.

Yeah, that would be rad.

Being able to go back to the mansion and the RPD would be pretty loving great.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Yeah they're using RE6 environs for it. Also, 54 stages? :drat:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
One fixture of RE that I really dislike is that your friends can't play mercs/raid mode in most of them unless they've progressed that far on their own. I get why they do it, but it's stupid- maybe I want to get the game for the sake of playing with my friends, and don't care about the story mode? It was really lame to be playing Revelations raid mode with my buddy and have to quit after act one because he hadn't reached that point in the campaign yet.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Lunethex posted:

Is it 54 stages or 18 stages with 3 different difficulty levels?

Also I'm looking at the Steam page for the game which has pre-order options available finally. For $25 you get all four episodes, both bonus episodes, and HUNK. For $40 you get all that stuff plus the "Raid Mode Throwback Pack" and a character costume pack. Odd pricing choices, basically you're deciding if a map and costume pack is worth $15.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I am easily swayed by all things RE Wesker, so I will undoubtedly throw my money at everything this game has to offer.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I'm confused how the online bit works. So you play single player raid for a month until all episodes and stages are out, at which point co op is enabled? Seems kinda iffy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wait, did they ditch RE:R's pseudo-tank controls for something even closer to RE6?

*Clicks the preorder button*

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Lunethex posted:

I am easily swayed by all things RE Wesker, so I will undoubtedly throw my money at everything this game has to offer.

What's concerning me is that Wesker's name isn't anywhere on the Steam page. I really hope Capcom didn't make him a brick-and-mortar store exclusive. :ohdear:

Nevermind, checked it again and Wesker is included in the $40 package! Good job, Capcom. You have swindled me of $40 again.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Lunethex posted:

Question is, if it's 54 unique stages, or just the same handful of stages with different routes/spawns like Rev1. I'm going to guess difficulty will just be a standard 'More health, hits harder' scaling.

But with talk of microtransactions linked to respawns, and a Dragon's Dogma F2P MMO, I'm getting a distinct feeling that Capcom might need some new bedlinen. It's starting to poo poo the bed.

limited fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 28, 2015

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Geight posted:

Nevermind, checked it again and Wesker is included in the $40 package! Good job, Capcom. You have swindled me of $40 again.

Somewhere in a darkened underground base, an Capcom executive cloaked in shadows is reading this post and writing in a journal how everything is going exactly according to plan.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought I was watching the portable version, but Rev2 is a console title. Those shadows look terrible.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

limited posted:

But with talk of microtransactions linked to respawns, and a Dragon's Dogma F2P MMO, I'm getting a distinct feeling that Capcom might need some new bedlinen. It's starting to poo poo the bed.

making GBS threads gold you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Geight posted:

What's concerning me is that Wesker's name isn't anywhere on the Steam page. I really hope Capcom didn't make him a brick-and-mortar store exclusive. :ohdear:

Story mode coop is the one thing I felt was missing from revelations 1. Preordered so hard.

quote:

Question is, if it's 54 unique stages, or just the same handful of stages with different routes/spawns like Rev1.
It's probably not 54 unique maps, but if they are including RE6 stuff, it's going to be way better than the first one.