Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Three Olives posted:

No, they are really aimed at fitness people with built in memory storage, heart rate tracking, etc. Price is a little high but if the heart rate tracking can match a strap, a good pair of Bluetooth running ear buds will easily set you back $150, a chest strap another $60, Forerunners, Smart Watches, cellphones, they are dabbling in a lot of overlapping categories here on the fitness side, price is probably fairly close to justified.

It sounds like they're aiming for the jack of all trades, master of none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I guess no one wants to live in the Her universe with me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Call me old fashioned but i still prefer the touch of an actual woman.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Look at this sexhaver :jerkbag: who needs women when you have waterproof earbuds?

I'm with you rear end Catchcum, I think the Bragi are great (and they were super well reviewed at CES 2015). They look good, are waterproof, have the basic health tracker functions that I'm interested in, and can also be used on a day-to-basis and even without a phone.

I'm not gonna drop $300 without some reviews from actual people that have actually used them in real-life situations, but if those turn out well, I might actually go through with it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I pre ordered and have a 30 day return window to read reviews and make sure they are the real deal.

Nodding to answer calls and looking up at the sky for weather reports just make me too geeked out

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

In your ear?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm not gonna drop $300 without some reviews from actual people that have actually used them in real-life situations, but if those turn out well, I might actually go through with it.

Honestly this is probably what I will end up doing, if they work as advertised I will probably buy them for running but for $300 I need a few reviews saying they work completely as advertised.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
In the vein of cool stuff that nobody's really talking about, I finally got my Myo that I kickstarted in 2013. It's pretty neat, and I look forward to playing around with programming for it, but right now it's definitely in the "cool... what do I do with this?" stage.

It seems to take a bit of time after putting it on to learn to discriminate gestures well, but I've already gotten used to trying to control my music with subtle hand motions.

https://www.thalmic.com/en/myo/

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

5TonsOfFlax posted:

In the vein of cool stuff that nobody's really talking about, I finally got my Myo that I kickstarted in 2013. It's pretty neat, and I look forward to playing around with programming for it, but right now it's definitely in the "cool... what do I do with this?" stage.

It seems to take a bit of time after putting it on to learn to discriminate gestures well, but I've already gotten used to trying to control my music with subtle hand motions.

https://www.thalmic.com/en/myo/

you paid money for that?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

IuniusBrutus posted:

you paid money for that?

it looks pretty drat cool

i'd pretend i have force powers by controlling literally every electronic i own with it

SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

Top of the food chain, Ma!
I haven't seen a wearable device on the market that monitors comprehensive metrics with a degree of reliability that I consider acceptable, but I'm taking the plunge on a "smart patch" that feeds heartrate and activity data to my phone:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ampstrip-comfortable-24-7-heart-rate-wearable/x/1581855

I prefer the idea of my phone as the info-hub of my texts and calls and tweets and emails and biometrics, instead of half-assedly sharing duties with a watch display. Will update in May/June if this thing actually ships.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

What do you guys use to clean wearables, especially ones you wear while working out? (Sorry in advance if this has been asked somewhere in the past 33 pages already.)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Chasiubao posted:

What do you guys use to clean wearables, especially ones you wear while working out? (Sorry in advance if this has been asked somewhere in the past 33 pages already.)

I usually rub my headset and watch down with rubbing alcohol and let it dry. Gets all the sweat and gross stuff off.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I've had the Charge HR for a week and I've come to the conclusion that wrist-based HR sensors aren't ready for prime time.

Using a Garmin chest-strap as a baseline, I've seen the Charge HR under-count my heart rate on runs by 20-40 bpm.
It's especially noticeable with sudden changes in exertion level.

My guess is that Fitbit's had to make compromises with the LED sensor (reduced light intensity for longer battery life but reduced accuracy?).

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I've just bought a xperia z ultra on ebay to replace my 5 year old htc legend.
When running or going to the gym I just carried the legend in my pocket for music so now i'll need to buy either one of those cheap shuffle mp3 players or keep my legend around as one.

Because I don't want to pull the z ultra out every time I want to know the time I'm going to start wearing a watch. I want to kill 2 birds with one stone and the smartwatch 2 can be had 2nd hand quite cheaply over here.

So, does anyone know if the sony smartwatch 2 can be linked directly to bluetooth headphones for music playback while leaving the phone completely at home?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Managed to get two day's use out of my Moto 360. Not a heavy user, but swapped a couple of Watchmaker faces around. Watch put on (from charging) at 7am, and taken off wrist about 8pm. I was down to 20%.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

shrike82 posted:

I've had the Charge HR for a week and I've come to the conclusion that wrist-based HR sensors aren't ready for prime time.

Using a Garmin chest-strap as a baseline, I've seen the Charge HR under-count my heart rate on runs by 20-40 bpm.

My guess is that Fitbit's had to make compromises with the LED sensor (reduced light intensity for longer battery life but reduced accuracy?).

Yeah it's definitely not as good at tracking workouts as a chest strap. It seems to be meant more for tracking overall daily health since you can comfortably wear it all day. I'm not going to work with a chest strap.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I see Fitbit products as being for the unwashed masses who are interested in getting a more accurate baseline. A lot of people, myself sadly included, can't be bothered with putting on an extra doohickey before exercising, so the estimate the Charge gives me is better than whatever I'd be getting otherwise.

That being said, I see my Charge HR as basically an entry level drug; once it breaks I can totally see myself ponying up the cash for a good strap and a better running tool. I am slowly starting to embrace the philosophy of the quantified self, and I guess I have this pedometer and its companion app to thank for that!

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

AlexanderCA posted:

I've just bought a xperia z ultra on ebay to replace my 5 year old htc legend.
When running or going to the gym I just carried the legend in my pocket for music so now i'll need to buy either one of those cheap shuffle mp3 players or keep my legend around as one.

Because I don't want to pull the z ultra out every time I want to know the time I'm going to start wearing a watch. I want to kill 2 birds with one stone and the smartwatch 2 can be had 2nd hand quite cheaply over here.

So, does anyone know if the sony smartwatch 2 can be linked directly to bluetooth headphones for music playback while leaving the phone completely at home?

I don't have the smart watch 2 but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. You'll need smartwatch3 for that mp3 capability.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shrike82 posted:

I have had absolutely zero problems with accuracy with the Fitbit HR on runs, I think it is a lot more sensitive to skin tone and physiology than they claim:

It is a bit wonky on distance though, apparently I need to adjust my stride length because in that workout included my daily 5k 22-24 minute 5k along with warm up and cool down but registered just over 3 miles total, it reality it was at least 4.5 miles.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah it's definitely not as good at tracking workouts as a chest strap. It seems to be meant more for tracking overall daily health since you can comfortably wear it all day. I'm not going to work with a chest strap.

Isn't a heart rate monitor that is off 20-40 bpm pretty much useless?

Maybe it's more accurate when you're just sitting around and not running.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

lostleaf posted:

I don't have the smart watch 2 but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. You'll need smartwatch3 for that mp3 capability.

Ah thanks, read some more and it seems I misunderstood how previous generation smartwatches work. I didn't realize they were completely "dumb" terminals :(

Hopefully the current generation drops in price as much in 18 months as the last one did, I can get the smartwatch 2 for 50 euros compared to 200+ for the smartwatch 3, which makes it more expensive than the phone I bought.

Are there any budget android wear devices planned?

AlexanderCA fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 26, 2015

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thermopyle posted:

Isn't a heart rate monitor that is off 20-40 bpm pretty much useless?

Maybe it's more accurate when you're just sitting around and not running.

It's pretty accurate in my case. I guess it's different for everyone.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

lostleaf posted:

AlexanderCA posted:

I am dumb, just bought a 2nd hand LG G watch for 65 euros, only 15 euro more than the sony smartwatch 2 and it should actually be able to play music.

So thanks, you just saved me pissing money away.

:feelsgood:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

AlexanderCA posted:

The LG G Watch is the budget watch right now, regularly under $115 now new. It's a solid buy at that price.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

spookygonk posted:

Managed to get two day's use out of my Moto 360. Not a heavy user, but swapped a couple of Watchmaker faces around. Watch put on (from charging) at 7am, and taken off wrist about 8pm. I was down to 20%.

Unless the watch display stays on while its on your wrist it doesn't really matter how long the battery lasts (to me).

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Reverse Centaur posted:

Unless the watch display stays on while its on your wrist it doesn't really matter how long the battery lasts (to me).

Why would you need the watch face on if you aren't looking at it? I'm not saying any watch has the detection perfected yet, but the question still stands.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Super Dude posted:

Why would you need the watch face on if you aren't looking at it? I'm not saying any watch has the detection perfected yet, but the question still stands.

That's the problem, the gyroscope didn't work well enough on all three android wear watches I've had (and one Tizen). I look at my watch all the time for work, it has to display every time.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Reverse Centaur posted:

That's the problem, the gyroscope didn't work well enough on all three android wear watches I've had (and one Tizen). I look at my watch all the time for work, it has to display every time.

Even if they get a working version you still want the face to be on 24/7?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Super Dude posted:

Even if they get a working version you still want the face to be on 24/7?

Just when it's on my wrist, and my G Watch R works that way so I'm happy.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Even if detection were flawless, you'd have to wait a second or two for the watch to wake up and the screen to flick on. At least with an always on display you don't have to worry about that. Besides I end up with like 40% remaining on my G Watch with always on on a 6AM - 10PM day. That's great battery life in my book.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I just returned a Jawbone UP 24 because the battery repeatedly died even though the app claimed it had 10-14 days left on it. I decided to replace it with a device that displays some information with a screen/led.

I was looking at the Nike FuelBand SE, Garmin Vivofit, and Fitbit Charge. Anyone have comments on these devices? The Nike one looks the nicest but it looks like it doesn't have sleep tracking, which I find odd. The Charge seems the most popular but I find Amazon/Best Buy reviews are about as trustworthy as youtube comments.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

I just returned a Jawbone UP 24 because the battery repeatedly died even though the app claimed it had 10-14 days left on it.

Anyway, I was looking at the Nike FuelBand SE, Garmin Vivofit, and Fitbit Charge. Anyone have comments on these devices? The Nike one looks the nicest but it looks like it doesn't have sleep tracking, which I find odd. The Charge seems the most popular but Amazon/Best Buy reviews are about as trustworthy as youtube comments.

I'm super happy with my Charge HR, FuelBand is EOL, don't buy it, Charge HR has continuous HR monitoring which is nice, it works perfectly on me even during runs, YMMV. Don't buy the Charge, buy the Charge HR, $20 is nothing for HR and it has a better clasp.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Seriously, don't get the non-HR Charge. The clasp on it is way too easy to snag on a sleeve or bump on an object, and it will pop right open if you do. The $20 is money well spent in terms of peace of mind that you didn't lose the sucker somewhere, even if you never care about HR monitoring.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I enjoy my Charge HR very much. Don't get the regular Charge the clasp sucks.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I just wish the UP3 would come out so I could buy it. Lot of other great choices but Jawbone's software and integration with other services just knocks it out of the park for me. Considering getting an UP24 and abusing the 60 day return policy for when the 3 hits.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope Tylt release those nice looking 360 bands soon because my stock leather band is getting kind of worn already. The soft leather is really nice to wear but as a result of that and the design of the band meaning you have to bend it right back on itself, I can see that it isn't going to last a year.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Sextro posted:

I just wish the UP3 would come out so I could buy it. Lot of other great choices but Jawbone's software and integration with other services just knocks it out of the park for me. Considering getting an UP24 and abusing the 60 day return policy for when the 3 hits.

I just want to know if the Up3's sensors compare to the Peak's, but

I'm sorry this post was delayed 3-6 weeks.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MJBuddy posted:

I just want to know if the Up3's sensors compare to the Peak's, but

I'm sorry this post was delayed 3-6 weeks.

Unless I am mistaken Up3 originally promised continuous HR, then it was downgraded to resting and with a later software upgrade to continuous (Always assume that upgrade is never coming).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

(Always assume that upgrade is never coming).
Sorta like the Fitbit Force and call notifications, "coming February 2014."