Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Is Meteos really an upgrade? I feel like it's been a while since there was a game where I really went "Yeah Meteos kicked rear end!" like it used to be back in earlier seasons.
He's farm-focuses, with an emphasis on getting objectives and putting Balls ahead. Balls has been lackluster recently and more teams have become objective focused, so he's lost a lot of momentum. It's the Faker effect in Korea, where if you have one guy dominating for so long, eventually people will play against him long enough they find out the little tricks he does and nullify them in other ways, even if they can't match him mechanically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Firebert posted:

C9 really needed a Maokai (was disabled for week 1 I assume), a Lulu or a Kayle for that comp to work. Zed and Kassadin don't give a poo poo about Sion or Rek'sai, they can just blink right past him to blow up Hai and Sneaky. Not that Hai/Balls/Meteos played well at all, but that comp seemed doomed to begin with.

C9 really needed to replace Hai in the offseason - even without Balls/Meteos playing like garbage, Hai (playing as he has since the start of the summer split) is outclassed by every other NA mid except possibly Slooshie.

And yet C9 looked decent at Worlds, if prone to nerves, and really solid at IEM San Jose. Balls and Hai were pulling their weight, Meteos was playing appropriate champions and doing hella work and Sneaky and Lemon looked on point as always. Meanwhile TSM got 2-0'd by a fresh Challenger team playing gimmick comps that TSM should've been able to deal with, prepped or not. I wonder/hope if some of this weekend was C9 being badly out of practice for lack of scrim partners and TSM prepping extra hard for them. After all, TSM promptly lost to a mediocre-looking Team 8, and looked exactly like they did at San Jose.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
It's weird how swingy LoL teams are, at least in the West. Is this something that happens in other electronic sports games? As a spectator I'm getting fed up with veteran teams constantly showing their asses. It makes for awful, frustrating games. I realize that patching makes mastery of LoL a moving target, but god drat, Balls looks like he hasn't played a game of League since last summer.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Flameingblack posted:

He's farm-focuses, with an emphasis on getting objectives and putting Balls ahead. Balls has been lackluster recently and more teams have become objective focused, so he's lost a lot of momentum. It's the Faker effect in Korea, where if you have one guy dominating for so long, eventually people will play against him long enough they find out the little tricks he does and nullify them in other ways, even if they can't match him mechanically.

The jungle changes matter more than just the champion pool, as well. If you're a jungler that lives on smart invading and camp steals, you now have fewer opportunities to do so. Yes, being successful will leave them further behind but longer spawn times leave you possibly doing nothing for 30-40 seconds as you check cleared camps. It is probably just my own confirmation bias, but at present I feel like there are less jungler on jungler interactions outside of lanes. Meteos is excellent at them.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I dont know what to say if you dont think Meteos would be an upgrade to Santorin. Meteos can play like every jungle in every meta + some weird off meta picks. The only junglers I'd want over Meteos are Korean.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Jerkface posted:

I dont know what to say if you dont think Meteos would be an upgrade to Santorin. Meteos can play like every jungle in every meta + some weird off meta picks. The only junglers I'd want over Meteos are Korean.

I might also take Impaler in a pinch but yeah, Meteos is mosdef one of the very best junglers in NA. If he 'went down' in effectiveness it's because Balls was absolutely ghastly this week.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's really hard to look good as a jungler when both solo laners are playing like trash.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The thing is Cloud 9 is probably one of the teams that are most focused on -being- a team in the NA circuit, so they either look like masters of their art or absolute trash in all lanes with basically no middle ground.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's weird how swingy LoL teams are, at least in the West.

Not just! My boys Invictus over in China were 6-0 until they got swept by the 0-6 Vici this weekend.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Jonny Angel posted:

Not just! My boys Invictus over in China were 6-0 until they got swept by the 0-6 Vici this weekend.

And let's not forget the preseason in Korea and how CJ Entus fared in that, compared to how they've done so far in the regular season.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Or how KT Arrows had the greatest story of heroic triumph in Champions Summer and then got promptly 3-0'd by a team they already beat in the Summer playoffs.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

And let's not forget the preseason in Korea and how CJ Entus fared in that, compared to how they've done so far in the regular season.
To be fair, GE beat them back down where they belonged and showed everyone exactly what they're still weak at. GE is this season's Samsung

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Flameingblack posted:

To be fair, GE beat them back down where they belonged and showed everyone exactly what they're still weak at. GE is this season's Samsung

What do they still lack? I won't be able to see that game for a while, so I'm curious to hear what weakness got exploited.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The biggest mystery on C9 for me is Balls, because he was the best top in NA for so long, able to play every champ including the ones Dyrus couldn't like Nidalee. I don't think C9's starve top strategy helped him out much in the 2nd half of least season through worlds, but he shouldn't look as bad as he did this weekend. Hai is a lost cause IMO, you just have to believe in the shot call magic and hope he gets Zed so he can just dive the enemy ADC every teamfight. Once Balls gets back in order, and I don't think he was ever one to have motivation issues, C9 should start winning because Hai can play around a strong 4 man squad.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Westrice stole his soul when he solo'd him

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

henkman posted:

Westrice stole his soul when he solo'd him

...This is probably the explanation really. Losing a 1v1 to Westrice must be soulcrushing.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Mejai's Soulstealer should really be Shang Tsung's Soulstealer.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

What do they still lack? I won't be able to see that game for a while, so I'm curious to hear what weakness got exploited.
They're very stubborn and don't adapt well on the fly in pick/ban.

Game 1: CJ Entus, and specifically Shy made it apparent they didn't think that Gnar was a threat, and went as far as saying why they didn't think it was a threat (Shy's split-pushing Mundo) and on top of that, said that Gnar was a champion that Shy didn't enjoy or play. CJ Entus goes through ban phase on blue side without banning Gnar and GE Tigers use Mundo as their last ban, and from there it was pretty apparent that CJ Entus had lost before the first champion was drafted. GE Tigers first two picks were Gnar/Jarvin and CJ Entus put Shy on Rumble. Smeb and Lee punished the hell out of Shy and got an early 4 kills without giving any deaths up and it was GG from there. Ambition couldn't stop the bleeding from Shy and Space/Coco only went even in lane and couldn't do a goddamn thing about a superfed Gnar because they ran Ezreal mid.

Game 2:

Who did CJ Entus think they were going to catch in that Team Comp with Jarvin/Rumble/Oriana

CJ Entus are still a very strong team right now, Space and Coco look amazing which is something I never thought I'd say. But CJ Entus didn't adjust at all in pick/ban phase and lost both games because of it.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 27, 2015

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Hai is Regi 2.0 plus a fancy earring and less twitter drama.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Balls picking up Morg top could do wonders for C9's comps; she's a pseudo Rumble/Liss that also allows Hai to play Zed without forcing a full AD comp

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

archduke.iago posted:

Balls picking up Morg top could do wonders for C9's comps; she's a pseudo Rumble/Liss that also allows Hai to play Zed without forcing a full AD comp

Balls plays both Rumble and Liss (and his Rumble is considered pretty good I think) so his champ pool isn't stopping C9 from running an AD mid.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Crazy Larry posted:

Balls plays both Rumble and Liss (and his Rumble is considered pretty good I think) so his champ pool isn't stopping C9 from running an AD mid.

The only decent AD mid at the moment is Zed (though I guess they could try double ADC with Corki mid), but double AP is currently meta because it makes your ADC more valuable. Also Balls looked pretty drat good on Lissandra at IEM and Hai played a much, much better Ori there than he did this last weekend. Seriously go watch the C9 v. UOL or Alliance games from IEM and then C9 v. TSM or Gravity, it's insane how different they look, and it makes me believe that "we didn't get any good practice," probably because of the visa issues, is actually probably a big deal.

Edit: Also, what did happen to Maokai? He's not listed as disabled on patch 5.1 and I don't recall any major balance changes to him from 4.20 to 5.1, right? Is it just that he doesn't lane well against Lissandra/Gnar?

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 27, 2015

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

The only decent AD mid at the moment is Zed (though I guess they could try double ADC with Corki mid), but double AP is currently meta because it makes your ADC more valuable. Also Balls looked pretty drat good on Lissandra at IEM and Hai played a much, much better Ori there than he did this last weekend. Seriously go watch the C9 v. UOL or Alliance games from IEM and then C9 v. TSM or Gravity, it's insane how different they look, and it makes me believe that "we didn't get any good practice," probably because of the visa issues, is actually probably a big deal.

I recall being sort of underwhelmed by Balls' Lissandra when I first watched IEM, but looking back at it he had some really good games. Mostly I just wanted to point out that Balls is perfectly capable of playing AP toplaners that are currently in meta, and looking at past performance those might actually be the champs he should be prioritizing.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Jonny Angel posted:

SKT T1 K won Champions and Worlds in S3, and swept Champions winter this time last year, and now that team basically doesn't exist. It's crazy how volatile competitive gaming is.

To whomever was asking - Balls plays an excellent Rumble. 11-0 in 2013 Summer Split. I'm pretty sure his Rumble is what helped them win against White this last Worlds also? (e: yep, he was on Rumble to force the tie, and NWS banned that out in the tiebreaker)

Unfortunately for him, Rumble is probably a champion to deprioritize this season, at least in the current meta. One of the reasons he was so strong last season was being able to have a Guise and Sorc Boots, and be able to TP to dragon pit to win the objective. That power spike is so minimized now due to the way dragon fits into objectives.

By the way, this is the reason I like Pastrytime. The casting isn't actually very good, but the enthusiasm and the importance of the game make me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRAoZJolrYI

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Crazy Larry posted:

Point being, teams ban Rumble/Liss against C9, and his Sion/Gnar were both incredebly underwhelming.

Lightning Knight posted:

Edit: Also, what did happen to Maokai? He's not listed as disabled on patch 5.1 and I don't recall any major balance changes to him from 4.20 to 5.1, right? Is it just that he doesn't lane well against Lissandra/Gnar?

Zed is one of the few champtions Hai can actually play, and is valuable in that sense. I suppose they could put him on Lulu and try for a "Protect the Sneaky" comp, but I don't think Lemon is a good enough support to make it happen.

Maokai was specifically disabled for Week 1

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
balls plays rumble liss and the usual tank tops, his champ pool is neither large or exciting.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
balls being banned out is obviously c9's biggest obstacle to overcome. Meteos and hai play every champion in the game and you cant really ban out their botlane either.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Slaapaav posted:

balls being banned out is obviously c9's biggest obstacle to overcome. Meteos and hai play every champion in the game and you cant really ban out their botlane either.

it would appear you have upset someone greatly

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Luna Was Here posted:

it would appear you have upset someone greatly

i said rape in the context of video game discussion on the internet. i am a shameless monster

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Slaapaav posted:

Counterpoint: You don't need to ban Hai out when he's perfectly willing to pick Fizz or Talon and just feed terribly all game without any other prodding. Hai's positioning was pretty suspect and both TSM and Gravity took full advantage of catching Hai a billion times and instagibbing him to start fights.

But yeah, week 1 was Cloud 9's solo lanes finding ways to lose games. TSM also outpicked them, but that loss to Gravity was just throwing away every advantage because they couldn't figure out how to fight a team with four dive champions (admittedly, this is also from Lemon almost always blowing Janna's ult way too early on just Vi and leaving plenty of chances for everyone else on Gravity to get in) even with a completely starved Kassadin because even if they protected Kog, Orianna would die at the start of every fight and Sion would usually be way too late getting involved to matter.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Slaapaav posted:

i said rape in the context of video game discussion on the internet. i am a shameless monster

are you one of those 12 year olds who says "haha you got RAPED" when you kill someone?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
no i just got mad when someone told me i was not allowed to use that word when talking about video games. I got mad because i felt this was a very arbritary rule

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Slaapaav posted:

no i just got mad when someone told me i was not allowed to use that word when talking about video games. I got mad because i felt this was a very arbritary rule

I think that's an "arbitrary" rule that most people are perfectly ok with and like!

C9's problems are obviously fixable as they're only 6 weeks off of IEM, but I think it's fair to say that other teams have either a) caught up to where C9 was with regard to S5 or b) straight up adapted better. I also think it's possible to pick comfortably and win games without having to be strictly "on meta" as long as you're accounting for it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

And yet C9 looked decent at Worlds, if prone to nerves, and really solid at IEM San Jose. Balls and Hai were pulling their weight

Hai looked absolutely dreadful at words on anything that wasn't Zed.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Firebert posted:

Hai looked absolutely dreadful at words on anything that wasn't Zed.

That isn't true, Hai did pretty well on Syndra. Unfortunately for him Syndra got nerfed out of the meta right before the beginning of the season. :v:

Edit: That unfortunately seems to be a common theme for Hai, a lot of the champions he was really good at mid - Kha, Gragas, Lulu, Soraka, etc. - have been nerfed out of the meta or are no longer played mid. It's fair to say he hasn't adapted well but on the other hand six weeks ago he played Orianna competently - not amazingly but not horribly - at IEM, so clearly something changed.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 27, 2015

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Lightning Knight posted:

That isn't true, Hai did pretty well on Syndra. Unfortunately for him Syndra got nerfed out of the meta right before the beginning of the season. :v:

Edit: That unfortunately seems to be a common theme for Hai, a lot of the champions he was really good at mid - Kha, Gragas, Lulu, Soraka, etc. - have been nerfed out of the meta or are no longer played mid. It's fair to say he hasn't adapted well but on the other hand six weeks ago he played Orianna competently - not amazingly but not horribly - at IEM, so clearly something changed.

Part of being a professional player in this crazy game is basically adapting your champion pool to incorporate the OP picks on every single patch in a very short amount of time and then practicing those things in solo queue and in scrimmages dozens and dozens of times before a competitive match. That requires a ton of time, practice, effort, and theory-crafting. Not doing that is akin to being bad at your job. When someone says "oh so and so has a shallow champion pool" that means they are basically bad at their job and a hindrance to their team's draft, composition, strategy, and execution. Most of the old guard of players who were only good at 1 or 2 picks have fallen out of the pro scene, and most of the people who replaced them are very deep players of a lot of picks, you basically have to be to succeed at a high level in any of the major leagues. When I was watching the most recent SKT match on LCK this past week, they were talking about Faker, and he had something like 11 different champions that he's never lost a competitive match on, and he doesn't even bring a lot of those out regularly, and he might not even be the best mid laner on his team this season with how well Easyhoon is playing. Like that's the kind of champion pool you should be striving for if you are a pro in this game, especially in the mid lane, which has generally the largest pool of picks on every patch.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Who could have predicted C9 wouldn't perform as good during the first half of the split, the data just isn't there.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Invalid Validation posted:

Who could have predicted C9 wouldn't perform as good during the first half of the split, the data just isn't there.

C9 had never lost a day one game before last week, so, uh, yes?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
There's also such a thing as having a bad week. I know two points make a line, but a couple of bad games inside of a now two year history of excellent performance isn't heralding anything unless the trend continues.

I mean, I caught up on the thread after this weekend and from Friday to Sunday the consensus on Santorin went from one of the weaker NA junglers, to top 3, to "shows promise if he's allowed to develop" in 36 hours. We as a fan base are somehow even more prone to hyperbole than sports fans. I know I'm guilty of that. One of the neat things is the amount of information we have on individuals, but one of the caveats is some of the "stats" team or league wide are still up in the air for how valuable they actually are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Savage Cracker posted:

Hai is Regi 2.0 plus a fancy earring and less twitter drama.

I agree with this, actually. There was a time when Hai was an absolutely dominant laner and a great teamfighter but he's fallen off pretty far.

• Locked thread