Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

YF-23 posted:

Huh. Is there an intent to steadily bring back old features in general?
They have said this in the past, but no one is seriously expecting that.

The new Opera was released one and a half year ago, and very few features have been re-added since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stadacona
Apr 21, 2014

Computer viking posted:

Apparently, that's caused by flash: There's a whole bunch of versions you might have installed (nsapi, pepper, ie , 32 and 64bit) and if it detects that any one of them is out of date, it sends you to the update page... in your default browser, even if that specific version already is up to date. Check the flash control panel applet and/or add/remove programs to try and find out which one is outdated.

Indeed i had two installs of the npapi. I uninstalled both and reinstalled it for opera. Thanks!

YF-23 posted:

Huh. Is there an intent to steadily bring back old features in general? If so Newpera might eventually be worth upgrading to.

I don't know, I had given up on this until I decided to try the latest beta build and saw they brought it back. I check this blog occasionally:
http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/

There is regular updates but the team working on the desktop browser is probably a small one.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
They do lots of updates, but half of them are just `git rebase latest-chromium`, and most of the other half is "fix poo poo we broke", with a miniscule amount being "ok, people are asking for xyz from Opera 12, we can't do it in chromium, let's add something different that is kind of related".

I don't remember where, but one of their devs confirmed at one point that due to business decisions, and the restrictions put on them by chromium, they have no intent to ever come close to Opera 12's feature range.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mithaldu posted:

I don't remember where, but one of their devs confirmed at one point that due to business decisions, and the restrictions put on them by chromium, they have no intent to ever come close to Opera 12's feature range.

Have the developers had time to realize what a terrible mistake they've made?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

eXXon posted:

Have the developers had time to realize what a terrible mistake they've made?

The developers knew from the start, that's why many of them were let go. And the business side is happy. Profits have only risen since Opera's main income sources are mobile and ads.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mithaldu posted:

The developers knew from the start, that's why many of them were let go. And the business side is happy. Profits have only risen since Opera's main income sources are mobile and ads.

This is, I'm afraid, about what I'm hearing too. They are still bolting new things in, but it's mostly small things (I think they're working on making it easier to delete/undelete/undo adding bookmarks atm). No idea about the plans for any larger features.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

This is, I'm afraid, about what I'm hearing too. They are still bolting new things in, but it's mostly small things (I think they're working on making it easier to delete/undelete/undo adding bookmarks atm). No idea about the plans for any larger features.
The thing that disgusts me most here is that the business people manage to lack the empathy necessary to realize how much their refusal to open source Opera 12 fucks over a user base they grew. It's like companies beyond a certain size attract only managerial personal that lacks some basic component required to be a decent human being and Opera crossed that line.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mithaldu posted:

But wasn't the mobile side already doing well? I don't really have a problem with the new mobile anyhow, I'm still using it and if there are any missing features I can't even remember what they are. But I thought the whole point of switching to chromium was to streamline the desktop experience or whatever it was.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

eXXon posted:

But wasn't the mobile side already doing well? I don't really have a problem with the new mobile anyhow, I'm still using it and if there are any missing features I can't even remember what they are. But I thought the whole point of switching to chromium was to streamline the desktop experience or whatever it was.
As far as anybody who didn't make the decision can tell, it was streamlining, yes. Streamlining of the costs and revenue of the desktop development team. What the users thought factored in only in so much as they sacrificed every feature that wasn't individually used by the majority of their userbase.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

To be fair, it was also a conscious effort to attract more mainstream users - a dumbing down to widen the marketability, to be blunt. I hear it worked, too.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I really miss tab stacking since I switched to chrome :smith:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Krowley posted:

I really miss tab stacking since I switched to chrome :smith:

This is one of the things leaving me kind of hanging on to 12.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
It's amazing sometimes how many wonderful/terrible habits I developed with Opera that make me frustrated trying Chrome. It's incredibly slick with a ridiculous number of tabs open that I just keep tabs open instead of bookmarking them. And then stack tabs of those like a bookmark folder. But I'm oddly more in tune with those stacks as opposed to a bookmark because I make a little headway on a tab and leave it for later instead of the static nature of bookmarks, like not keeping up with what page number I'm on automatically.

And then it's incredibly geeky to get into menu editing in Opera but now my right click menu is just a streamlined interface that works perfectly for me.

So going from a customized browser that can do a lot with a silly number of tabs to Chrome is just so difficult. But it's really close to actually heartbreaking the more and more sites that show quirks and incompatibility with old Opera 12. It's like watching a favorite dog get older and older.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Firefox's panorama has done a pretty good job of replacing tab groups for me. You just have to get used to pressing a hotkey for a menu of groups instead of clicking on something that was already there. Without left-side tabbars, groups wouldn't work for me anyway.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
Now look at this: A new Opera Vivaldi version is being done. Apparently by some of the old crew.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ha, yes - I got an SMS from the Opera side about that today. It's chromium underneath, but the skinning is interestingly different. Wonder where it'll go.

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

It's got notes and tab stacking. It's already more feature-complete than Opium!

Still needs some work, but given its developers and stated intention (Opera sucks now, we're doing it as it should have been done) I'm pretty hopeful about this.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Spatial navigation? Downloading this sucker right now.

(Yeah I know the spatial navigation isn't there yet, sue me.)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Meanwhile Otter keeps chugging along with 1-6 people committing new stuff every week.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Riso posted:

Meanwhile Otter keeps chugging along with 1-6 people committing new stuff every week.

That's what makes me hopeful about Vivaldi. They seem to have an actual team behind it and not just one guy and a handful of volunteers.

I have not installed either browser and don't plan to until they both mature more.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Neat, it crashes if I close the last tab. Tech preview. :v:

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Ape Agitator posted:

And then it's incredibly geeky to get into menu editing in Opera but now my right click menu is just a streamlined interface that works perfectly for me.

I still have the SA menu for Opera installed from years ago:

Muscle memory is ingrained for:
User Control Panel: alt > s > o > o
The Football Funhouse: alt > s > d > f
Ask/Tell: alt > s > d > a
etc

Is there a similar thing for Chrome? It's so hard to switch to other browsers because of these ingrained habits.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Oh man, just that "Notes" were one of their top features out the gate already has me excited!

I'm a simple creature.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Their announced goal seems to be exactly my cup of tea, so i'll keep a really close eye on it. The chromium renderer really isn't an issue if the usability and feature set ramps up.

Hell, if it goes the right places i wouldn't even mind if they had some premium registered model like original Opera.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Their announced goal seems to be exactly my cup of tea, so i'll keep a really close eye on it. The chromium renderer really isn't an issue if the usability and feature set ramps up.

Hell, if it goes the right places i wouldn't even mind if they had some premium registered model like original Opera.
It has tab stacking out of the box and Opium couldn't (or wouldn't) do that, so I already have high hopes.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The chromium renderer really isn't an issue if the usability and feature set ramps up.

Well, does Presto actually do anything that other rendering engines don't?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

gibbed posted:

It has tab stacking out of the box and Opium couldn't (or wouldn't) do that, so I already have high hopes.

As soon as they have a mail client finished, I'm probably retiring O12. Because Vivaldi is basically O13.

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

Wheany posted:

It was really, really fast when it was introduced; I'd liked to have seen how they kept up had it been actively maintained and renewed. I think rolling with a third-party engine also gives you less flexibility in what new CSS features you can support.

But less web engines does mean less exceptions to work with for designers and more consistent display of sites. And Blink is a perfectly fast and capable renderer, so there is really no great downside to using that if it leaves you with more time and manpower for actually developing the browser itself.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Wheany posted:

breaks youtube and other huge js-heavy sites in new and neverending surprising ways!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Leshy posted:

It was really, really fast when it was introduced; I'd liked to have seen how they kept up had it been actively maintained and renewed. I think rolling with a third-party engine also gives you less flexibility in what new CSS features you can support.

But less web engines does mean less exceptions to work with for designers and more consistent display of sites. And Blink is a perfectly fast and capable renderer, so there is really no great downside to using that if it leaves you with more time and manpower for actually developing the browser itself.

Do. Present tense. And I asked that sincerely. Because to me the rendering engine isn't the interesting part in Opera 12.

For me the pluses and minuses of the browsers I use at all:
Opera 12:
+ Stable as hell, except for some specific sites. But since I don't do that much surfing with it, I don't really come across those much.
- Uses all the gigarams after having not crashed for a month
- breaks youtube and other huge js-heavy sites in new and neverending surprising ways!

Firefox:
+ Supported everywhere except pages that specifically target Chrome
+ Extensions can apparently do just about anything (so in some cases they can do more "native" things than the same chrome extenstion). Could be a security hole, but meh
- Seems to have some sort of random counter for how many tabs you can have per session. Every time you open a new tab, the counter goes down. When it reaches 0, Firefox crashes. The counter never goes back up except at startup.
- After a crash, loading background tabs is unbelievably slow.

Chrome:
+ Fast as hell
+ Seems stable? Don't really use it much
+ "This tab is making noise" icon
+ Supported everywhere
- Extensions aren't allowed to do as much?
--- No most-recently-used-tab order for ctrl-tab
----- I'm just going to list "No most-recently-used-tab order for ctrl-tab", because holy poo poo.
- Extensions can't fix that poo poo ^^^^
- Google Rules Everything Around Me

IE:
+ Download other browsers Ninite real good.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 27, 2015

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

Wheany posted:

Do. Present tense.
So is does. It might be do because it's plural, although I was referring to the singular state of having less engines.

quote:

And I asked that sincerely. Because to me the rendering engine isn't the interesting part in Opera 12.
I answered it sincerely – there's a few perks to having an own rendering engine, but the bottom line is that it doesn't matter much, especially when the one you're using is a perfectly fine one (and isn't called Trident). I'm equally looking forward to all of Opera 12's features becoming available again. I've missed Notes particularly and they're already in the tech preview, so we're off to a good start!

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

gibbed posted:

Not to mention tabs that can be set to be on the left or right of the screen with tab previews. This was the first test I subjected all possible Opera replacements to before trying anything else. This is the first one to pass.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
How does it stack up on tab volume compared to FF and chrome? It's probably a habit I'll never kick and once Opera introduced tab stacking it was a habit that I didn't have to be visually or conceptually embarrassed about. But chrome doesn't seem to be happy with tons of tabs.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Gave Vivaldi technical preview a bit of a run and it's already made a great impression.

Things i prefer in O12 and that are probably deal-breakers for me:
-Modular UI that lets me move bars and add/remove any buttons. Not that big an issue since their slick default layout is pretty close to my custom one for now.
-Advanced opera:config Preferences Editor
-Adblock/manual urlfilter (although i guess chrome's stuff should work somehow)
-(custom?) mouse gestures, RMB+scroll
-A "Window" sidebar view to quickly find/move/close/group tabs

Minor changes i noted that trip me up:
-Tabs in fullscreen leave a "window" rim so they're harder to hit with the mouse
-Can't right-click-drag left or right nodes in treeviews (like bookmarks) to open/close all subnodes.
-History view is chrome's, a bit meager.
-No autohiding status bar
-No opera:cache or opera:cpu equivalents

+Speed Dial is super slick and management as a bookmark tree is smart
+the Page Actions concept has a ton of potential if it's customizable enough to bring back viewing modes.

No idea how much of that stuff is possible to be bolted on chromes render-engine, but it's already miles ahead of Opium 78 or something.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 30, 2015

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

The CEO just announced they're shooting for weeklies, too. I still mainly use Opera 12 (and then Firefox if I have a problem or for more specialized), but for now Vivaldi will probably replace my (new) Opera installation I use mainly for HTML5 stuff. Right now actually it's a little less customizable (themes are disabled or something) disregarding the panel, but I mean it's not even an alpha.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

First one out right now, in fact. No auto-update yet; if you want an RSS feed right now I'm using this one and this one (and here's a Twitter link since I have it here).

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Doom Goon posted:

First one out right now, in fact. No auto-update yet; if you want an RSS feed right now I'm using this one and this one (and here's a Twitter link since I have it here).

It warms my heart to see such a long changelog.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

It would be better if they actually had a public bug tracker instead of "look through our forums and try to divine meaning".

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mithaldu posted:

It would be better if they actually had a public bug tracker instead of "look through our forums and try to divine meaning".

Ah, the old Opera spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is there a way I can have one speed dial button open multiple tabs in Opera 12?

For example, I have http://comicskingdom.com/favorites and http://www.gocomics.com/ both on my speed dial but I never open one of them without opening the other, so it would be handy to be able to open both of them with a single click. Can I do that?