Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

ImpAtom posted:

It really sounds to me like they intended a two-character path split and cut one of the paths at the last minute for some reason.

Adding all those choices that don't actually affect the game at all, I'd say you are onto something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

ShiunTouya posted:

Adding all those choices that don't actually affect the game at all, I'd say you are onto something.

Well, the trophies apparently 'imply' that those choices have some kind of effect on a NG+ ending.

We'll have to wait a couple weeks, maybe a month, until some insane people have mapped out the entire game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'll be curious to hear just how true the "she builds a bridge for 20 hours" thing is because that sounds to me like an over-exaggeration of the character leaving the party. It could very well not be but I suspect there is more to it than 'she left the party to literally build a bridge with her own two hands."

Like I said, maybe this is all 100% true but "the character leaves and everyone does nothing but talk about how terrible she is forever!" sounds to me like there's a legitimate complaint being fan-wanked into something more extreme.

I wish it were an exaggeration.
There is more to Alicia than her just leaving to build a bridge, there's some background politics going on preventing her from joining the party at certain times but for a long stretch of the game the only reason she isn't in Sorey's party is that she's helping out with the restoration of a bridge and it takes many hours until that bridge is fixed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShiunTouya posted:

It might also explain the quick speed of the DLC if it is reusing assets and content that they planned for the other character arc. It would also explain the 'misleading' video of the character in scenes they can't be in too.

What it doesn't explain is why they'd do that and why Rose would be the one they choose. (Unless the answer is just "the other arc wasn't finish and we had to ship.")

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It might also explain the quick speed of the DLC if it is reusing assets and content that they planned for the other character arc. It would also explain the 'misleading' video of the character in scenes they can't be in too.

What it doesn't explain is why they'd do that and why Rose would be the one they choose. (Unless the answer is just "the other arc wasn't finish and we had to ship.")

But the actual 20th anniversary isn't until December this year. I don't think Namco would have mandated it had to be done by the January instead.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Because Rose is a Super Cool Awesome Assassin with a Heart of Gold! She moves into the childhood friend's spot and immediately becomes his favoritest person ever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

But the actual 20th anniversary isn't until December this year. I don't think Namco would have mandated it had to be done by the January instead.

Well, it would if it wasn't the 20th anniversary they were worried about hitting. They could have quarterly expectations they wanted to bolster or want to make sure it is out and translated in time for their reliable selling season in the west or they have another big game planned for December they don't want Tales overlapping with.

Excels posted:

Because Rose is a Super Cool Awesome Assassin with a Heart of Gold! She moves into the childhood friend's spot and immediately becomes his favoritest person ever

Well, that would make sense for a path split like that though. If you pick Rose path she is Sorey's New Bestest Friend Forever. It actually happens a lot when RPGs do path splits like that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Well, it would if it wasn't the 20th anniversary they were worried about hitting. They could have quarterly expectations they wanted to bolster or want to make sure it is out and translated in time for their reliable selling season in the west or they have another big game planned for December they don't want Tales overlapping with.

My theory is that December is when the probably very likely PS4 remaster will be released in Japan. I'd like to be wrong on that though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Excels posted:

alright fine, but it's not like he just 'disappears', he's just more of a guest character who becomes the main villain. i think it's fair to say the circumstances are different.

if Alisha was at least around more and the party didn't talk poo poo about her and say how much better Rose is, I think people wouldn't care

Plus unlike Richard, she does not do anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

My theory is that December is when the probably very likely PS4 remaster will be released in Japan. I'd like to be wrong on that though.

Also very possible. Putting it out early and then pushing out a improved completed version for the PS4 later on would be pretty Namco-Bandai.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

if this was the result of removing a split path for alisha/rose it might also explain the tacked-on bullshit about Alisha hurting Sorey by being close to him. I've seen a bunch of people mention that detail but I'm not sure what exactly the game says. He might go blind around her or something?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Also very possible. Putting it out early and then pushing out a improved completed version for the PS4 later on would be pretty Namco-Bandai.

And knowing our luck we will get PS3 Zestiria but not the PS4 remaster and it turns into the Vesperia 360 vs PS3 situation all over again.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
At one point Sorey had to shut his eyes for Alisha to be able to hear the spirits, but a little while afterward she can see them fine.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Excels posted:

if this was the result of removing a split path for alisha/rose it might also explain the tacked-on bullshit about Alisha hurting Sorey by being close to him. I've seen a bunch of people mention that detail but I'm not sure what exactly the game says. He might go blind around her or something?

Alisha forms a pact with Sorey that gives her some of the abilities he has, so she can see the Seraphs. But it comes at a cost of Sorey's health plummeting.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Wait so we could have gotten a reverse of the typical "MC's power is fueled by sick girl" plot element?

drat, what a waste.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Alisha forms a pact with Sorey that gives her some of the abilities he has, so she can see the Seraphs. But it comes at a cost of Sorey's health plummeting.

Reid turned into Magic Jesus for his friends. Luke discorporeated for Tear. Estelle handed out her own lifespan in the form of healing. Shing fuckin' stabbed himself in the gut. This is not an excuse for Sorey.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Caphi posted:

Reid turned into Magic Jesus for his friends. Luke discorporeated for Tear. Estelle handed out her own lifespan in the form of healing. Shing fuckin' stabbed himself in the gut. This is not an excuse for Sorey.

don't forget Xillia 2-- Ludger sacrificing his Firstborn to fix Time

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Excels posted:

Yeah but only if you're an absolute fucker does that happen. Seriously gently caress the Ludger ending.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Has anyone started a NG+ yet? Maybe Alisha becomes a permanent party member then and the real game happens. :smith:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Now I really want a DDC remake of Eternia. Because I really want to play Eternia again, but gently caress if I'm going to actually put up with playing Eternia.

Why is this always the way it has to be? Maybe I'll just keep playing actual DDC.

I've got a bunch of sappy-rear end text somewhere in me on how the theme of opposites coming together to form a greater whole recurs throughout Eternia while also being the foundation of the entire Fringe system, which was a good spell system on its own. Has Tales ever done anything like that since? Do you count the Soma Links in Hearts?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not sure I could replay Tales of Eternia at this point without wanting to rename Meredy "Raraiya Monday."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Caphi posted:

How many guest combat characters has Tales ever had, anyway? There was Rassius, but I never liked him. Innocence should have given you Sian at the end, but that's neither here nor there.

Ashe from Tales of the Abyss? And Richter from, urgh, Symphonia 2.

Edit: I think the reason why I'm taking a lot of salt for all the new game complaints is because without context it might as well be the equivalent of complaining that you didn't get to play as Sephiroth or Seifer forever.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 28, 2015

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Excels posted:

Milla got her foot blown off and did not stop.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Xillia sure was a good game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Excels posted:

The more you talk like this, the better my opinion of the game becomes, because you sound so stupid saying it that I immediately devalue your opinion. I mean, this'll probably come bite me in the rear end when that's literally what happens, but I don't think it works very well as a form of argument. Also, I get the impression that you haven't actually played the game, and are basing your opinions entirely on Amazon review rants?

Basically, this could actually be the worst game ever, but you're still encouraging me to buy it because I hate people who have video game waifus. Is that really what you want?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Look, a lot can be and has been said about Xillia, but I played Jude first and at the end of Gandala (I spit on its symmetrical steel bones) I sort of assumed she'd slipped up in a fight with Nachtigal. When I got to that scene in her route, the connection hit me a bit before it happened and I was legitimately impressed.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Clarste posted:

The more you talk like this, the better my opinion of the game becomes, because you sound so stupid saying it that I immediately devalue your opinion. I mean, this'll probably come bite me in the rear end when that's literally what happens, but I don't think it works very well as a form of argument. Also, I get the impression that you haven't actually played the game, and are basing your opinions entirely on Amazon review rants?

Basically, this could actually be the worst game ever, but you're still encouraging me to buy it because I hate people who have video game waifus. Is that really what you want?

dude i don't give a poo poo what you do i just want bamco to loving make good games ok.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

and i just want you to make good posts excels but it seems we're both being disappointed

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cake Attack posted:

and i just want you to make good posts excels but it seems we're both being disappointed

There is no hope, Cake attack, only suffering. Also X2's pace is absolutely hilarious in NG+. Entire Quests last maybe 10 mins. There is no game left, only A massive hammer to squash elite marks over and over again.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Spoilers, obviously, but someone from the old Tales series forum is doing a synopsis as she plays Tales of Zestiria. Her translations are accurate (she translated a few stuff regarding side materials from the Tales of Xillia games beforehand, like some details regarding the Chimeraid) so maybe this will clear some stuff once she gets to the Alisha-bashing part.

http://yume-x-hanabi.tumblr.com/tagged/yume-plays-zesty

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

who the gently caress even are you

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Excels posted:

dude i don't give a poo poo what you do i just want bamco to loving make good games ok.

Didn't think this needed to be said, but if fools like me buy the bad games, Bamco has no incentive to make better games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If the collector's edition of TOZ comes in a box the size of a baby again, then I will buy it just to have another huge box around my condo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

The Taint Reaper posted:

If the collector's edition of TOZ comes in a box the size of a baby again, then I will buy it just to have another huge box around my condo.

So who do you think the statue will be of? I'm kind of hoping they do an Alisha statue for the whining.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

Ashe from Tales of the Abyss? And Richter from, urgh, Symphonia 2.

Edit: I think the reason why I'm taking a lot of salt for all the new game complaints is because without context it might as well be the equivalent of complaining that you didn't get to play as Sephiroth or Seifer forever.
Well, I mean, in context the difference is Sephiroth and Seifer weren't marketed as the main characters for nearly three years and had tons of trailers focused on them/got an OVA released focusing on them before the game came out/had costume DLC.

And at least Seifer and Sephiroth got to do stuff. That's my big complaint. Kratos, Asch, and Richard all left the party, but they still did stuff. Even Ras got a boss fight and some plot importance after his death. Everything I've heard, even from people defending the game, says that Alisha... kinda doesn't. I wouldn't care if she left and became a recurring antagonist or even a Flynn style rival, but it seems like she leaves and becomes about as relevant as, say, Peony, or Pascal's sister.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 28, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Snake in MGS2. What honest marketing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
What, are you saying that Rose is secretly a child soldi- :aaa:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

What, are you saying that Rose is secretly a child soldi- :aaa:

If she has a friend named Jack, I'm done.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

wdarkk posted:

So who do you think the statue will be of? I'm kind of hoping they do an Alisha statue for the whining.

Rose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Snake in MGS2. What honest marketing.
snake was also a major character in MGS2 and the raiden/snake split tied directly into that game's themes